Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why DON'T you play Titleist, or other popular OEMs?

185 replies to this topic

#61 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 902

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

I LOVE reading how people hate this OEM or that OEM.....Wake the F up people, ALL these clubs being played on the PGA TOUR are virtually the same. The USGA tells the OEM's how the HAVE to make them to conform. All the wedge talk about Vokey, Mizuno, etc......I'll say it again, they are ALL old JP copies......There is no new technology out beyond the driver....a little tweak here and there, a little mix design change in the metal, nothing significant. If you think one club is significantly longer than another, check the loft and length. And feel depends on the ball you are playing. Rory just got 100 million reasons to say the new TM is the greatest ball ever!.....It's NOT!...........The moral of the story,  buy what feels good, not what your buddy has, or Sergio plays. He's being PAID to tell you how great they are.......LOL

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371925
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

I have a Titleist 3 wood still in my bag, but when I tested other brands they all outperformed my Titleist so a change is imminent. I played a full bag of Titleists until last month when I went to a professional clubfitter.

My new brand is more expensive but it suits my game a bit better.

I am terrible, but I will play the best brands that work best for my game. I will spend more to have them customized to my swing to aleve any doubt in my brain or in reality that it's the Indian and not the Arrow.

Andrew Bond of Glencoe, on 17 June 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

I have a Titleist 3 wood still in my bag, but when I tested other brands they all outperformed my Titleist so a change is imminent. I played a full bag of Titleists until last month when I went to a professional clubfitter.

I am terrible, but I will play the best brands that work best for my game. I will spend more to have them customized to my swing to aleve any doubt in my brain or in reality that it's the Indian and not the Arrow.

By the way since making the change my handicap is trending downward a full point.

#63 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 902

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

Andrew Bond of Glencoe, on 17 June 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

Andrew Bond of Glencoe, on 17 June 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

By the way since making the change my handicap is trending downward a full point.
It's all in the fitting. My buddies all try my MB's, and chuckle at how great they feel, then after skanking one off the toe, they give it back.....

#64 Auditor_Kevin

Auditor_Kevin

Lifelong addict to the game of golf.....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80828
  • Handicap:7.3
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

Just curious - can anyone point to an independent test of any magnitude that has ever ranked a Titleist iron or wood at or near the top? I haven't seen one yet.

Innovation-wise they seem to be content allowing all the other OEMs to guide the conversation and blaze trails in low spin drivers, adjustability....the list goes on ad on. Titleist almost seems like they want to tell golfers what they want (status quo), instead of listening to what they want.
TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf...player/KevinR22

#65 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 5598

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

Auditor_Kevin, on 18 June 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

Just curious - can anyone point to an independent test of any magnitude that has ever ranked a Titleist iron or wood at or near the top? I haven't seen one yet.

Innovation-wise they seem to be content allowing all the other OEMs to guide the conversation and blaze trails in low spin drivers, adjustability....the list goes on ad on. Titleist almost seems like they want to tell golfers what they want (status quo), instead of listening to what they want.

Titleist does a really good job of catering to their club market, which is a better player (12 or below) who is a member at a club (hence the pro shop/club pro presence).

Those players want classic style players irons which they do a great job of. Are they better than mizuno (probably their closest iron competitor)? There's not really a way to measure that as it's subjective. They make phenomenal wedges for better players, but other OEMs make better wedges (more forgiving, better sole options) for higher handicap players. And their woods are more focused on playability on the course and the type of classic look a better player will prefer, rather than lighting up trackman on your best hit which both Taylormade and callaway do better.

So yeah, you're probably right, they probably aren't winning iron and wood tests (although I've seen plenty where they rank highly over the years), but they're giving their market what it wants, so it works.

#66 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1907

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:19 PM

IMO from what I've seen Titleist has taken the biggest hit to the usage of their hardlines from Callaway's gradual (and schrewd) progression into the "aspiring" and "accomplished" player categories. examples like Callaway's BB Alpha, BB Alpha 815 & 816, and now Epic, were/are I believe an issue for Titlest's D Series driver sales. the introduction and solid marketing of Apex irons has done no favors for AP2's popularity. and the incremental improvement (and current zenith) of the Mack Daddy series of wedges, just another annoying thorn in the side of Vokey.

edit: now Cameron, at least as far as "perception" might go, is still a step above almost all Odyssey. however it should be interesting to see how the Toulon business does long term.

Edited by Kenny Lee Puckett, 18 June 2017 - 11:40 PM.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: Blueboard Ion Flower Band 73xct
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping i25 4 iron: Dynamic Gold
Ping S55 5-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide 50SS/54SS/58SS: DG T.I.
Ping Anser F Ti pixel
Ping Sensor glove/Bridgestone B330S
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#67 ThunderBuzzworth

ThunderBuzzworth

Hulk... Smash!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132069
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 1884

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

Why DONT I play:

-Titleist Woods: although they are the most pleasing to my eye, they are always outperformed by something else.
-Titleist irons: I don't like the shape of their irons. End of story. Used to have a set of 690.MB irons and since then I don't like the shape of any of the new Titleist offerings so I will take a glance and maybe give them a hit but I can't use a club that I don't feel confident looking at.

-Callaway woods: weird shaped and weird sounds in the past have driven me away from them ever since the FT Tour which was a driver that cracked like that was its job.
-Callaway irons: honestly never hit a Callaway iron that felt good to me although some of them had a decent look. Always found something I liked a lot more
-Callaway wedges: again they have odd shapes to them. X forged were very nice and then Roger Cleveland began tweaking the shapes and leading edge of them and I am not a fan of changing something that is nearly perfect.
-Callaway putters (Odyssey): don't like inserts in my putters as I don't like a marshmallow feel. Also never found a head shape in odyssey or Callaway that I liked enough to keep. The #7 is one that I could possibly get on board with if I went the route of an alignment putter.
-Callaway ball: logo, hate the marshmallow feel. Better performers for my game.

Taylormade irons: never liked their left handed options. The TP MB Smoke were my favorite blades I had ever laid eyes on but with no lefty.. no sense in looking. Their current P750 is a really clean classic look that I may be interested in.

••Driver ••• Taylormade M1 w Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 80 tx
••3 wood •• Ping i25 14* w Graphite Design Tour AD DI 10 tx
••Hybrid ••• Taylormade SLDR 19* w Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 x
••Irons ••••• Epon AF-302 Copper 5-PW & 3 iron w DG X7's
••Wedges • Vokey SM6 Raw Black 50F 60K • Vokey TVD Black 55K • X100's
••Putter •••• Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5
••Ball ••••••• Srixon Z Star XV 2017

#68 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

EKELLY, on 17 June 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

I LOVE reading how people hate this OEM or that OEM.....Wake the F up people, ALL these clubs being played on the PGA TOUR are virtually the same. The USGA tells the OEM's how the HAVE to make them to conform. All the wedge talk about Vokey, Mizuno, etc......I'll say it again, they are ALL old JP copies......There is no new technology out beyond the driver....a little tweak here and there, a little mix design change in the metal, nothing significant. If you think one club is significantly longer than another, check the loft and length. And feel depends on the ball you are playing. Rory just got 100 million reasons to say the new TM is the greatest ball ever!.....It's NOT!...........The moral of the story,  buy what feels good, not what your buddy has, or Sergio plays. He's being PAID to tell you how great they are.......LOL

If you are correct, then I feel good about not paying the inflated $$ of Titleist products.
15 hcp

#69 autronicdsm

autronicdsm

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383994
  • Handicap:999
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

I like to play what looks good to my eye, and has some appeal by being an obscure brand that nobody knows. Why would I buy Titleist CB when I can play Fourteen TC770?

#70 BY#99

BY#99

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449482
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

I just really have not found the Titleist clubs over the years to outperform the various TaylorMade, Callaway and Nike clubs I have gamed.  I have tried drivers, fairways and irons. The fairways were closet of the bunch.  And since they were clearly not better I was not going to pay the 20-25% more for their clubs.

I actually won a Scotty Cameron putter at a tourney and was excited and gamed it for about 10 rounds and found it not to be any better than my PING. Sold on the bay and paid for a new driver and had money left over.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 PattySal

PattySal

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471378
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

I consider myself pretty non-conformist, but it just doesn't make sense like someone said earlier to pay $300 for a Wilson driver when it costs the same for Titleist, Callaway, TM, etc. Maybe if it were $150 I'd get one.  I feel like that is like buying a Kia without the satisfaction that you saved a ton of cash. I think the true non-conformist thing is to be brand-blind.  I have a Ping driver, TM and Adams fairway/hybrids, Callaway Irons, Titleist and Dunlop wedges, and an Odyssey putter (for now). When I want a new club, I do the research based on what should work for me and then I buy what feels best, regardless of branding or looks. Plus, I use whatever ball is on sale.  Be non-brand loyal and you will still be a rebel :beach:

Edited by PattySal, 22 June 2017 - 02:12 PM.

#72 BForrester

BForrester

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418128
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

Titleist
I won't buy Titleist anything because I find their prices to be too high for the products they offer.  Most other OEMs are just as expensive, initially, but you can at least find their clubs significantly discounted when newer lines are released.  Why would I buy ProV1 when I can get Bridgestone/Srixon/Callaway urethane balls for $10+ cheaper?

Callaway
Had a buddy who played X18 irons and everything about them just looked and felt cheap.  It's probably unfair, but my first impression of Callaway clubs was "chintzy".

Edited by BForrester, 22 June 2017 - 06:52 PM.

Taylormade M1 9.75o Aldila Rogue Black 70x
Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o
Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW XP-115 S300
Mizuno S5 Blue Ion (54, 58)
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1

Is there a phrase in the English language worse than, "Three putt for bogey"?

#73 OKMrazor

OKMrazor

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382464
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

Can't see myself playing Taylormade.

I started out with hand-me-down Titleist blades (circa -91) - x flex - given to me by a college-level buddy.  Probably too much club for me, but I didn't know better and learned to make it around a course pretty well.  Switched (briefly) to Taylor Made knowing I could use some more forgiveness.  This is in the Burner Bubble TI days and I just hated them.  Felt so cheap.  The driver and 3 wood too.  After a couple of years back with the blades and switching woods I made it to Titleist woods and I could feel the quality - helped that it was the 983 series which is an all-time fave of many.  I've also had a number of good Callaway iron and wood experiences (as well as a couple of bad).  But everything Titleist I've played has been quality.  Quality seems a baseline to them (in my experience) even if groundbreaking technology isn't their strong suit  - and I don't necessarily think that's the case with other brands, which have some good and some bad.

Ultimately, I'm sure TM has some good products, but an early experience with some lesser products tainted the brand for me - probably a common experience as people use more entry level equipment and grow out of it, expecting more. I think the marketing at the time made me expect a comparable quality to the Titleist product I was used to and it fell far short, even if (importantly) that product line was not on the same level as the Titleist product to which I was comparing it. But, importantly, it was being sold as revolutionary - or close to - at the time.

#74 nanosg

nanosg

Jorge Grande

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75277
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

Would play any OEM if it looks good, sounds good, and performs....good.  That's why I have Callaway epic driver, TM M2 fairway, PXG hybrid, mizuno MPH5/MP-25 irons, T7 and Vokey wedges and SC putter.  With the exception of the putter, which I have played in the same style for 30 years, all the clubs I have were custom fit and optimized to me.  But could easily sub M2 Driver (big maybe as Epic is really good right now), ping fairway and hybrids, Wilson V6, Ping iBlade or Titleist AP2 Irons, Cally wedges, Bettinardi putter and probably be just as happy.

All that being said, it is appealing when companies DO NOT put out new product on a 6 month to 1 year cycle- kudos to Titleist, Mizuno, Ping and PXG on that note.  Something about having the "old" product within a year of purchase that plays with everyone's mind.

#75 dcummings24

dcummings24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 262808
  • Ebay ID:dcummings24
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:13 AM

No TaylorMade or Callaway or ProV1s for me!!!

I just think the TM and Cally equipment look cheap ---- like Hyundai vs. Audi.  Can't explain it other than that.   That Epic driver?  Woof!!!  M1 and M2 irons?? WOOF WOOF WOOF.  Too many bells and whistles.  

That said - it's all about fitting.  So, so long as I get fit for a club, the brand really doesn't matter.  Hard to have a bad experience with a club if fit properly.

I prefer the feel of Srixon Z-Star to the ProV1s.  Plus, the sheeples love the ProVs too much.  :p

Edited by dcummings24, 23 June 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#76 mizunoMP14

mizunoMP14

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265786
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:39 AM

I never got along with Callaway woods. I also dislike Ping irons, lots of offset and brushed stainless finish.

Whats really missing is wedges these days, Callaways arent that great. I dont want a blue or black finish wedge.  I just want a classic shape with a full sole/wide sole high bounce wedges where you have room to grind yourself.  Vokeys are about as close as you can get with the F and K grinds.
917 D3 10.5* AD DI
917 F2 16.5* Rombax P95
816 H2 21* AD DI 105
4,5 T-MB Nippon 125
6-PW Mizuno MP4 Nippon 125
50* 56* 60* Vokey SM6 Nippon 125
Ping Anser 2x

#77 Joe85

Joe85

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133711
GolfWRX Likes : 535

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

The only brand in general I won't play is NIKE.

I suppose if I found the right club I would use it, but in general I hated when NIKE came into the industry and I don't know if they've ever really made a product worthy of being in the game.
Titleist 983E 8.5*
Sonartec SS03 14*
Mizuno BR - 18* Mizuno CLK 23*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 5-PW
Solus 51,56,61
Seemore Si4
                WITB Link

#78 ratdg1

ratdg1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274359
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

I don't play Wilson because there aren't any places around here that sell Wilson Staff.

I won't play Nike because of their sweatshop/child labor issues.  At least with the other OEMs I can fool myself that their factories are filled with golfers who have the job of their dreams.

I'll boycott any brand that tries to bring back square drivers.

Beyond that, I really don't care what the brand is.  Especially with irons and wedges, they all look the same at address.
Ping G25 9.5*
Taylormade V-Steel 3w/Titleist 910F
Taylormade V-Steel 5w/Titleist 910H
Maltby 3-P
Cleveland 588 Rtx. 52*
Ping Eye 2 BeCu Orange Dot S
Bettinardi BB54 Tour Proto

#79 dmitchell165

dmitchell165

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 398262
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:03 AM

This is a great question - I hadn't thought about it but I haven't owned a Titleist club since the 975 drivers.  I guess I've just been brand loyal (primarily to Adams, Mizuno, and Odyssey).  I wonder if this is doing my game a disservice, next time I buy I'm going to make sure to test some of the other OEMs including Titlest, Callaway, and TaylorMade.

As far as Titleist gloves and balls, they're phenomenal but if you can get the same quality for a lower price, why not?  For example, the StaSof glove is excellent but so is the MG Dynagrip Elite at 1/3rd the price.

#80 MTGa921

MTGa921

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457408
  • Handicap:13

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

Only level of consistency in my bag over the years has been Cobra woods and Odyssey putters.  Tried quite a few other brands in between and I've come to realize that you should play what you're comfortable and confident with.  Hence my 716 Titleist Irons sitting in a closet and Mizunos getting a second wind.

Only level of consistency in my bag over the years has been Cobra woods and Odyssey putters.  Tried quite a few other brands in between and I've come to realize that you should play what you're comfortable and confident with.  Hence my 716 Titleist Irons sitting in a closet and Mizunos getting a second wind.

Bio Cell *HZRDUS Yelloo*
King F6
Titleist 915h 3 HYB
Taylormade Duel Rescue 25.
Mizzy MP-63
Cleveland 46. 52. 58.
Ody White Hot #8 "Wine Country"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 davidi

davidi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31900
  • Ebay ID:technica1

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

I would avoid Adams clubs after an experience with a 3-wood a few years ago demonstrated quality control back then wasn't all it should have been. Can't think of another manufacturer I'd avoid if a club was getting good reviews.

#82 moncoacp

moncoacp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188520
  • Ebay ID:acpman

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

I do not play Mizuno. They make some of the most beautiful golf clubs out there but every model I have tried is consistently 8 to 10 yards shorter than either Callaway, Cobra or TaylorMade.

Back in the day, Wilson was king. The staff irons from the 60's through the 80's were things of beauty. I can't explain the decline. Hopefully, they will rebound. I hit some D300 irons and they seemed pretty solid.

#83 Your-away!

Your-away!

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323581
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

I tend to go for a specific type of iron which the OEM's dont really do (raw/black finish with a thin top line and smaller head)

I like RAW wedges which seem to be coming available less and less, my wedges are quite a rare find in the UK.

Driver would always be a OEM though
DRIVER:Taylormade M1 460 - 9.5* - Project x 6.0
3 Wood:Taylormade Jetspeed 3HL, Matrix Stiff - 1/2" shorter
20* DI: Taylormade UDI - KBS C-Taper Lite stiff.
IRONS 4-PW: Taylormade PSI Tour - KBS C-Taper 120 stiff -  2* flat
WEDGES:Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 50/54/60 (custom grind) - TI S400 - 2* Flat
PUTTER:Radius Classic 2 long neck - Lamkin Sink grip.
GRIPS:All Golf pride Z grip full cord
BALL:Bridgestone B330 RXS.

#84 gatorz7888

gatorz7888

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227297
  • Handicap:6.5
  • Ebay ID:gatorz7888
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

View Postsofc, on 11 June 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

Don't like Callaway logo so don't usually play equipment or balls.

The best answer yet.

Personally I think each OEM has their area of expertise.

The only one that has stayed out of my bag completely is NIKE. To be fair I have never given their equipment a fair shake, purely a perception/brand thing. Callaway is great with Drivers/Woods, Mizuno is the best with irons, Cleveland are my favorite wedges, putters change all the time, Tons of good balls (Srixon, Bridgestone, etc).....IMO its hard to imagine Nike greatly out performing in any of those categories so I have avoided them. (there is a little bit of Tiger rebellion in there too).

To keep with the theme, I also agree that Titleist can be outperformed at a lesser cost in almost every category.
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme -- 9.5 Aldila Trinity x Stiff -- 43"
Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme -- 3 wood Aldilla Trinity Stiff -- 42"
Mizuno Mp 57, 3 iron -- N.S. Pro 1150x
Mizuno Mp 53, raw, gun oiled 4/5 iron -- N.S. Pro 1150s
Mizuno Mp 68, raw, gun oiled 6-PW -- N.S. Pro 1150s
Cleveland Tour Action Raw -- 53,56,60 --N.S. Pro 950
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design 1W -- Raw, Oil Quench.

#85 Vespar

Vespar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374037
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

I don't play Titleist nor care to....why, well for starters they are a ball company first and foremost. I prefer to play with club companies first. Titleist for me has always had a sense of arrogance when it came to their drivers, " black  pear shaped heads for better golfers" " we are not into gimmicks"

But now that its owned by the Koreans (fila) and need to sell clubs they have finally seen the light and realized have decided to innovate. Their ball which  acounts for their fortune is also feeling some heat from other manufacturers and some unknown ones too.....Funny how that works when you have been standing still for so long.

#86 Vespar

Vespar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374037
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

One brand that I did not care to play, wear and am some what relived they are out of the club business is Nike, good riddance!

#87 SvenOlsen

SvenOlsen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 315411
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

When the development is delivering fewer irons at a higher price, to force people to use theses generally disgusting hybrids, I am out of there - here in Sweden a 4-pw set of Titleist CBs are around US$ 1.000,-!!! - a set of 4-PW AP2s are around US$ 800 - not worth the money - there are so many other clubs of a similar quality, where you don't have to buy 2- or 3-irons for $200-250 each - while the whole hollow iron sets are not available here!

I do not like the front edge of newer Titleist AP2s - I switched to Cobra AmpCell Pros after testing the newer Titleist CBs, which are in fact just a set of old 990s with a little modification of no particular consequence.
That said, I am basically a Hogan man - up to the point, where Callaway obtained - and killed - the brand.
I have limited experience with Mizuno, but consider them being very good, the same goes for some of the Taylormades.
The whole business of trying to improve everything (often by claiming "our irons go farther", due to the fact that the lofts keep getting stronger) shall probably bite the manufacturers in their backsides some day. (hopefully soon, so we can go back to playing golf for the game's sake).

And this is by no means bashing Titleist, they have made so many beautifull clubs in the past, but the combo of high prices and ugly models shall probably work against them in the long run - something many manufacturers seem to have forgotten these days.

#88 dsmil

dsmil

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130650
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

I don't intentionally avoid any OEM's, but because clubs are so similar, I prefer being more familiar with just a few brands.  Right now that's Cleveland/Srixon and Titleist (full lineup), Cobra & Taylormade (woods only), Mizuno (irons only), and Odyssey & Ping (putters only).

Edited by dsmil, 23 June 2017 - 09:06 AM.

Cobra King LTD Dr- Matrix Black Tie 65M4 (67g)
Cobra King LTD 3W - Matrix VLCT ST 82 (77g)
TM Jetspeed Hybrid 19* - Matrix Studio 94 (96g)  
TM Jetspeed Hybrid 22* - Matrix Ozik HD Program 95 (99g)    
Cleveland 588 CB 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX 54*
Cleveland 588 RTX 60*
Odyssey Works Versa #7

#89 wcbjr

wcbjr

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114048
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:wcb8664
GolfWRX Likes : 788

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Resale, durability, craftsmanship.

#90 dcorun

dcorun

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7594
  • Handicap:13

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

I don't dislike any of the clubs mentioned so far since they are all good clubs and fit someone out there. I prefer Cobra, Srixon/Cleveland and TaylorMade but, that's just me. They have always fit me well and they have for the most part made very good clubs over the years. I currently play the 2017 M2, Cobra 3 wood and hybrids and the Cleveland 588 MT irons. I like them because I got fitted and I get the best performance out of them. As far as the negative comments on Wilson, they made high quality clubs at one time (Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Billy Casper, Hale Irwin, etc.) and have won more Majors than any other brand. They are slowly on the way back. I have hit the C200 and D300 irons and they are as good as anything on the market today. They just don't have the money for R&D plus advertising and getting the word out like Callaway or TaylorMade. I'll be getting the C200 or the newer version of them when I'm ready to switch irons.

TM M2 Driver -  9.5*`   Fujikura Pro 50 R Flex (2017)
Cobra F6 3 Wood - 14.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
Cobra F6 Hybrid 3 - 18.5*   Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
Cobra F6 Hybrid 4 - 21.5*   Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
Cobra F6 Hybrid 5 - 24.5*   Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
Cleveland 588 MT Irons 6 - SW   UST/Mamiya Actionlite 55 R Flex
Cleveland Huntington Beach Collection Putter #4 - 35"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors