Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why DON'T you play titleist, or other plpular OEMs?

171 replies to this topic

#31 cherokee8215

cherokee8215

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72469
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:03 AM

I don't play Titleist clubs because I have a slower swing speed and cannot seem to get any distance with their drivers compared to other brands. I like the generally compact size of their fairway woods but they were always too unforgiving on mis-hits for me.

I also avoided Taylor Made during the whole white-head driver fad as I could not stand that color on a club.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Double Dutch

Double Dutch

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278185
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:25 AM

I went from an all titleist bag to not using a single titleist club. Nothing against the brand, and much of their lineup looks classy, but the Callaway stuff I have now is just easier to hit for me.

Callaway Bertha Mini 11*
Callaway Apex hybrid   20*
Callaway Apex CF16  17*-55*
Ping Glide 2.0 ES          58*
TM Spider Tour
Sun Mountain 2.5 carry bag

#33 Double Dutch

Double Dutch

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 278185
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:28 AM

And I don't buy the sm6 vokeys because I really dislike the hump on the back of the lob wedges. 54&56 still look nice though
Callaway Bertha Mini 11*
Callaway Apex hybrid   20*
Callaway Apex CF16  17*-55*
Ping Glide 2.0 ES          58*
TM Spider Tour
Sun Mountain 2.5 carry bag

#34 philly2kuk

philly2kuk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290123
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:14 AM

I don't buy Callaway because, as much as I want them to, they never give me good results. This happens even when they've fit me to a club, isn't as good as the others on test for me.

I don't generally buy Titleist because I just find the clubs a bit boring and at the price they ask for them, I can get Mizunos or Pings (which I prefer). I have never gotten on with Vokey wedges and just find them ridiculously expensive compared to others but with no performance benefit - again for me.

I'm in no way saying either brand makes bad gear, just isn't for me.

Edited by philly2kuk, 13 June 2017 - 06:18 AM.

Ping G SF Tec 12°
Ping G 5 wood (set at 16.5°)
Ping G 22° hybrid
Ping G25 4-UW
Cleveland 588 Forged 56°, 60°
Ping Vault Voss Grey

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.

#35 bodhi555

bodhi555

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442408
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Mostly because I prefer the Nike stuff I have.

I know it's not the ideal way to compare, but have rented a set of Titleists a few times this year, which I was looking forward to as they were top on my list of where to go next when I wear out /get bored of the Nikes.

Driver - Was given a 915 D2 / Stiff Whiteboard to play with. Went OK for the first round, direction in the second was a total lottery. Add in a tinny feel and the fact the head was too big (I like 440cc and below) the Covert would win this one for me.
Fairway Woods - again 915F /stiff Whiteboard - better, much straighter than the driver, bit found it less forgiving than the Vapors and also felt a bit tinny.
Irons - AP2's - ugh, how the hell can Spieth use these things? Too much offset, ugly top line, not much feel, no gain in distance over my blades despite stronger lofts. Couldn't wait to give these hook machines back. And why do they come with a Pitching Wedge AND a Wedge? To most of us, those are one and the same thing?
Wedges - Vokeys (can't remember which model) - these were good, but found them a little to light after the Engages, but still very useable.
Scotty Cameron Go Lo - as I normally use a Wilson 8802 copy, this was hideous. Appreciate it was completely the wrong style of putter for my stroke however.

I will definitely revisit once back in the market as none of these clubs were fitted for me - not that my Nikes were either - and I'd probably look at more the 917 D3 /716 MB's if I had a choice, but after those experiences, I'm not in a hurry.

Driver: Nike Covert 1.0 Tour - 9.5 degree - Diamana 60 S+ Shaft
Fairway Woods: Nike Vapor Fly 3W and 5W - Diamana 70 S+ Shaft
Irons: Nike Blades 1i - 9i - DG S400 Shaft
Wedges: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
Putter: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Odyssey Works Versa #9

Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

#36 ldchristopher

ldchristopher

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431090
  • Handicap:2.5
  • Ebay ID:louchratis
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

I don't play Taylor Made irons because I find their forged irons to be hideous. I prefer a clean-looking iron and there's too much going on in TM's offerings.

Edited by ldchristopher, 13 June 2017 - 10:33 AM.

Driver: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 w/ Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 64 gram stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 915F 15˚ w/ Aldila Black Rogue 80 gram stiff
5 Wood: Titleist 917F 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 80 gram extra stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 92 gram stiff
4 iron: Mizuno MP-54 w/ DG S300
5 - 7 iron: Mizuno MP-5 w/ DG S300
8 iron PW: Mizuno MP-4 w/ DG S300
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52/7 and 58/12
Putter: LaJosi Sensor 303SS w/ oil can finish
Back-up Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC1

#37 03trdblack

03trdblack

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3549
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

I personally gained a little disdain for Titleist equipment back in my junior golf days.  When I first started playing, Titliest were the clubs that all the rich kids had because their parents could afford to buy them anything they wanted, whenever they wanted it.  Every junior tournament I played in had these kids with Titleist everything from driver down to Scotty Cameron putter and even had the bag, hats, gloves and FJ shoes.  Most of these kids thought they were on the PGA tour already and acted that way as well, even down to the incredibly slow play.  As a young kid you definitely felt "inferior" to these kids even if you were better than most of them.  I guess I'd call it jealousy back then but it became my mission to beat these kids as best I could JUST for the fact that their entire club setup cost as much as a used car.  Sometimes I did beat them, most times I didn't but the "spoiled kids" image that Titleist clubs gave me left a lasting impression.  To be fair I do remember how happy I was to get a used 975D driver for Christmas one year and I really loved playing that club.  It felt amazing but I also wonder if I just finally felt like one of those kids.  

Now that I'm an adult I really don't care anything about what type of clubs people play because I'm a club junkie and love trying everything and am open minded to anything that I feel is fun or better.  Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, I feel Titleist is lagging behind in the innovation department and living off of a reputation they've established.  Their drivers are almost always middle to bottom of any comparison test and have been for as long as I can remember.  I'm sure the irons are great but I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between an AP2 from 2010 and one that came out this year because they basically look the same.  The ProV1 and ProV1X are great balls but the market has caught up and in a lot of ways passed them AND at a lower price point.  

I've tried everything from Titleist dating back from when I played the 910 D3 which I liked but nothing has even remotely excited me since.

#38 AThompson_3

AThompson_3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395356
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

I will play any club from any manufacturer. My signature states that. Callaway Driver, Taylormade 3w and hybrid, Mizuno irons, Cleveland irons, Odyssey putter, Taylormade ball. I personally think every manufacturer is pretty good at what they do. I play whatever I feel like at the moment.
Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 05
3 Wood: Taylormade M2 Tour '17 Project X HZRDUS Black 75
Driving Iron: Taylormade RSI TP UDI 20* Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50MG TI X100, 55MG TI X100, 60MG KBS 610 S+
Putter(s): Odyssey Tour Design Black #6 or Taylormade Precision Milled TP Mullen
Ball: Taylormade TP5X
Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5

#39 rsh0308

rsh0308

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173025
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

I buy most of my clubs used, try, and trade. Titleist holds value too well for me to partake.
In comparison, recent model Srixon, Cally, Cobra stuff is just cheaper on the used market and perform just as well.
My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9*, GD AD DI-6x
Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*, White Tie x
Taylormade Auroburner TP 3h, White Tie x
Mizuno 850 Forged 4-P, DG TIS400
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
Scotty Red X

#40 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138830
GolfWRX Likes : 344

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

There's no a brand I wouldn't play if I see results and can justify the value... i.e. the results are worth the price.  I've found it from Titleist at various times in the past, but right now I'm getting the most bang-for-the-buck from other offerings.  I still have Titleist 910D2/F/H in my travel/third bag I keep at my parents house and the value was definitely there given the purpose (less than $90 for all three).

Cobra King F6 Driver 11.5* Draw | Matrix 60Q4 Red Tie S
Cobra King F6 3/4w 14.5* Draw | Matrix 65Q4 Red Tie R
Cobra King F6 Baffler 4/5w 19* | Matrix 65Q4 Red Tie S
Cobra King F6 3/4h 21.5* Draw | Matrix HQ4 Red Tie S
Cobra Amp Cell 4-5h 24.5* Draw | Amp Cell 55 R
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-Gw | TT Dynalite Gold XP R300
Top Flite Tour Milled 54* | TT XP105 Wedge
Top Flite Tour Milled Blast Out 58* | TT XP105 Wedge
Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled PTM2 35" Counterbalance

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 TollBros

TollBros

Overseer of the Test Range

• Sponsors
  • 1,646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
GolfWRX Likes : 1279

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

Now let me preface this by saying this is only MY OPINION, and I know others will certainly disagree. Titleist is, to me, overrated. The balls are good but Srixon, Callaway, Taylormade, and Bridgestone all make balls as good or better. Scotty Cameron putters are also nice but to me Bettinardi is every bit as nice if not nicer and nowhere near the cost on Tour putters. I've never understand the Cameron craze. I just don't get it. The drivers and woods spin a lot and are inferior to Callaway or Taylormade. They do make very nice irons and wedges, but so does everyone else. There just isn't a single product that stands out to me and they charge absolute top dollar for everything. Good stuff, nothing exceptional except the price, and for some reason the reputation.
http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

#42 Danm2501

Danm2501

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334587
  • Handicap:15.0
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:58 AM

I have a Titleist 910 which I like, but have switched to an M1 having tried all the new offerings from major OEM's, and the 917 was awful, didn't perform anywhere near as well as the M1 or Epic.

Also use a Scotty, which I absolutely love. Have used Odyssey in the past, but nothing beats a Scotty.
Taylormade M1 HZRDUS Red 62 TI
Callaway XR 4 Wood
Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
Nike Covert 2.0 Irons (5-SW)
Vokey SM5 Wedge 52*
Callaway Mack Daddy III 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball

#43 Bigmean

Bigmean

Everything is Relative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344303
  • Handicap:JDM
GolfWRX Likes : 5026

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:20 AM

Oddly enough the only club in my bag that is not obscure is my 913f 3 wood.  It is probably avg. I guess, but I really like the way it sets up and I just like it so it stays and stays.  I am sure there are "better" 3 woods out there, but it isn't broken so I don't fix it.  

I have gone JDM/Japanese for export with my clubs because if you are ok spending 75% new club money on lightly used clubs, then you can open doors to some amazing products.  I have a driver and some wedges on the way from there I won in auction and I am so much more stoked to try them than anything I can get at my PGA superstore.  For me, it is a combination old these things:  quality of product/manufacturing, new doors open in terms of many more brands and head styles, and a giant middle finger up at the companies that keep bringing us plastic parts on $900 sets and 17 more yards with every driver by not paying for their marketing and tour players anymore.
Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
            Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
            Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

#44 RecidivistGOLFER

RecidivistGOLFER

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399646
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:42 AM

Used to be Cobra because of their aesthetics, plus the name has a sort of juvenile appeal.  Tour Edge sounds and looks  like something from Kmart.  Both are very good OEMs. Clubs with cheesy names like "burner" or "rocket blades" or -- the worst ever -- "Epic."  I love Calloway, but I can't make myself swing a stick that sounds like it's marketed to Mountain Dew afficionados.

Edited by RecidivistGOLFER, 14 June 2017 - 06:43 AM.

Ping G25 10.5 Degree Driver
Ping G25 16.5 Degree 4 wood
Ping G25 20 Degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX825 Pro 5-GW
Mizuno MP T5 56.10 / 62.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Tei3

#45 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Handicap:4.1
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1118

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

I was a Callaway guy for at least 15 years, now I am working on Ping (thanks to an LPGA player I caddied for in Hawaii), received the G LST and the iBlades a few weeks ago, still waiting on the G 3W, G Hybrid and glide wedges, not sure if the putter will come, but I have never played all Ping before, so far with the equipment I received is just amazing (I was fitted by them)...

Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Alta 55 X Flex, tipped 1", 44.5"
FW Wood----------Ping G 15*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, True Temper Tour Issue X100
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with X100s
Putter----------------Ping Oslo (Ping Nome TR as backup), 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

#46 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 1797

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

I play the equipment that I feel is the best for me.  Now, I may not play PXG because that’s a pricing issue, but I am generally unafraid to spend top $$$ for equipment if I believe in it.

The best driver I have ever hit is the Wishon 919THI, but the face kept cracking (I hit a lot of balls with the driver).  Wishon gladly replaced it for me for free, but it’s a bit of a hassle and I found pretty comparable drivers like the M1.  I didn’t like the latest 919THI remodel as it feels much different.  Also whenever I tried to go to a fitter to try a wide variety of shafts, they didn’t have 919THI heads.  But if I had a good supply of the old heads on me, I would gladly game that.

I loved the old Wishon 555 irons.  However, the grooves started to wear out and he discontinued the model.  The 575MMC just didn’t perform the same for me.

Edel’s digger grind Lob wedge is the best I’ve ever hit.  I couldn’t find a 52 degree wedge from Edel quite to my liking, but the 60* is phenomenal.  I also use The Brick for a putter and I just really love that putter.  I don’t really see the value in Scotty Cameron’s.  They are basically old Karsten Solheim designs prettied up.  I could see if I putted well with a dale head putter and wanted the best looking and best feeling dale head design, but that’s not the case for me.

I’ve been using the Snell Golf ball because it performs roughly the same as the Pro V1x for me.  I find the Snell rolls better on the greens, but also spins a little more with my irons.  I plan on getting new irons anyway and may look to a lower spin option with those so I can use the Snell and pay $157 for a 72 golf balls compared to $300 for 72 Pro V1x golf balls.

However, I use Fujikura shafts because I believe they are the best graphite shafts out there.  I love my Titleist hybrid and my Cobra 3-wood.  I really like my M1 and my Srixon Z945’s aren’t bad at all and I’ve found it difficult to find a better 52* wedge than the Vokey designs.

RH

#47 I.AM.PACO

I.AM.PACO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444952
  • Handicap:1.8
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

Don't know about the rest of them .. I just prefer what I like

But TITLEIST ...... NO BRAINER

This is why

wc2.jpg

EVERY year - Those stupid coats at the show - That's where I draw the line
WITB
Driver - COBRA F7+ / Veylix Naked TINI Prototype 75X
3 Wood - COBRA F7 FW / Veylix Ulysses Arcane Proto 85X 8X
4/5 Wood - COBRA Fowler Railer Proto - Xphlexxx Folwer Candy Pistol Pete 85X
Hybrid - COBRA F7 5H / Veylix 988 Rainbow 92X
Utility - COBRA KING Utitlity / Modus 130S
Irons - COBRA KING Forged Tour / Nippon Modus Tour 120X
Wedges - COBRA King 54 / 58 / 62 / Nippon Modus Tour 130S
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7 WBW
Ball - Nike RZN Black

Posted ImagePacos_tweet  -  I only follow hot models / cheerleaders / tequila / beer & Abigail Ratchford ... duh ;)

#48 dciccoritti

dciccoritti

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173476
GolfWRX Likes : 798

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

I.AM.PACO, on 16 June 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

Don't know about the rest of them .. I just prefer what I like

But TITLEIST ...... NO BRAINER

This is why

wc2.jpg

EVERY year - Those stupid coats at the show - That's where I draw the line

There must a have been a 3 for 1 special a few years back :-)
915 D2 | 816 H1 27 | 716 MB 5-PW | SM6 52.12 F & 56.14 F | SM6 46.08 F & 62.08 M | Futura 5CB | Pro V1x

#49 Randy_Bobandy

Randy_Bobandy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 398188
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

I have nothing against Titleist.  Almost bought a 917 F3 demo club when Golfsmith was going out of business near me, but it was still $150 after being hit by everyone and their mother.  They're just too expensive new, and too expensive on the used market as well.  Was looking at getting a T-MB 2i, but those things are $225 new!  The Scotty fanboys bother me as well, so I would never pay for one of those just because of that, not to mention putter "technology" doesn't exist.
R15 9.5* - 757x
Z F45 13* - Tour Green TX
MP-30 2 iron (bent to 16*)
Vapor Pro 4-PW
Engage 52* square
Vokey sm5 58* M-grind
Method Matter B2-01
TM TPX

#50 chisag

chisag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Handicap:0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

ldchristopher, on 13 June 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

I don't play Taylor Made irons because I find their forged irons to be hideous. I prefer a clean-looking iron and there's too much going on in TM's offerings.

... I always find this very interesting coming from good players. If it looks good at address, and gives you the best performance, you would not play them because of what the cavity looks like? I will probably pick up a set of 770's next season. I think all multi material or pocket cavities look less then ideal coming from persimmon woods and muscle back blades but the Amp Forged were the best players irons I ever hit with a perfect combination of look at address/playability/head size/forgiveness. I really disliked the bright orange cavity and graphics but didn't see any of it at address and my ball/scorecard pays no attention whatsoever. :derisive:

9.5* Cobra Fly Z Tour 110 Rogue Black  60s
16.5* TaylorMade Aeroburner Tour fw Kuro Kage 70s
19*  Adams LS Hybrid Kuro Kage 80HYs
19.5* Cobra King Utility Rogue Black 85hs
5-pw 5-pw Cobra Fly Z+ Recoil 110s/Cleveland 588TT Recoil 95s  
48* Nike Forged Combo Recoil 110s
54/60 Nike Forged/Engage Recoil 110s
33.25" Bobby Grace 6330

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 thejuice

thejuice

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2000
GolfWRX Likes : 487

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

I play Callaway, Srixon/Cleveland, and Cobra because they offer great, direct discounts for other members of the golf retail community.  Nike and Taylormade used to have good deals (TMag was great back in the early 2000s). PING and Titleist don't do anything so I don't do business with them.
Callaway EPIC SZ w/Fuji Pro 62
Callaway EPIC 15* w/Fuji Pro 72
TEE Beta 2H w/RIP Alpha 80x
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 610
EVNROLL ER-2

Gameball: Vice Pro Soft, Srixon Z Star

#52 spartan6910

spartan6910

Go Green, Go White!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294314
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

I can't play Titleist. I would, but literally every time I've tried one of their clubs...driver, irons, wedges...they don't suit my eye and bad things happen. For instance, last time I tried Vokeys, I had the dreaded 5 letter word happen. So, nope, not for me.

I'm sure they're actually great clubs, though.
TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54* 58*
YES! Tracy 2 - SS 3.0 Countercore
Vice Pro Neon (Soon to be taken over by the TaylorMade TP5)

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

#53 swinghard55

swinghard55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 329947
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

I play what looks, feels and performs for me.  That has been Mizuno or Titleist irons, Titleist or Callaway woods & wedges and every brand putter possible.  People always say Titleist is ______ the 716 mb/cb are very solid, the 917 performed great for me.  That said I only have the 712U 2 in my bag right now.
Callaway Epic EZ 9  - Oban Tour Limited 70 (05)
Callaway Epic EZ 15 - Oban Tour Limited 90 (05)
Titleist 712U 2 (18) - Precision FCM 7.0
Mizuno MP-64 (4-6) - Precision FCM 7.0
Mizuno MP-4 (7-PW) - Precision FCM 7.0
Titleist SM5 50 - Precision FCM 7.0
Titleist SM5 54 - Precision FCM 7.0
Titleist SM5 58 - Precision FCM 7.0
Putter - Bryon Morgan DH89

#54 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 991

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Not playing any brand and / or off brand is stupid just because I say so...
Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

#55 MJisGOAT

MJisGOAT

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264420
GolfWRX Likes : 1604

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

Thrillhouse, on 09 June 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

I know the new Wilson irons this year are excellent but I wouldn't game anything Wilson. I just associate Wilson with cheap big box store clubs and it spoils the brand for me.

I guess I like bag appeal? Or maybe I'm just a ****** who knows lol ;)

Stigma

I won't even look at wilson after the triton escapade, not that I really looked prior to either.

Cali
TailorMaid
t****
Apex
Betti
Custom 7

#56 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 4688

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:45 PM

MJisGOAT, on 16 June 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Thrillhouse, on 09 June 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

I know the new Wilson irons this year are excellent but I wouldn't game anything Wilson. I just associate Wilson with cheap big box store clubs and it spoils the brand for me.

I guess I like bag appeal? Or maybe I'm just a ****** who knows lol ;)

Stigma

I won't even look at wilson after the triton escapade, not that I really looked prior to either.

Yup, stigma.

I'm seeing a lot of it with the people who dislike titleist too, seems like these deep seeded opinions don't go away easily.

#57 BogeyFore5

BogeyFore5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357145
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:28 PM

dcfas, on 10 June 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Titleist has always seemed to be the player's club to me. I find many of their clubs to be demanding, but of the highest quality. Cost has kept me away, in addition to looking for a bit of compromise on forgiveness.

I used to think Nike was all hype. I remember when Phil said Tiger was playing "inferior" equipment and agreed with him. Well, I bought the last driver they made and now I regret not trying their other clubs over the years.

Right now I'm playing JDM, prgr's. Thinking I will probably go back to the clubs I first fell in love with, Mizzys. But if I can find a decent set of AP2‘s for a great price I may go Titleist.

Buy me a new set of JPX 900 Forged irons and I'll give you my 714 AP2's! :D lol

Edited by Greg B, 16 June 2017 - 10:29 PM.

Cobra F6+ - 9.5o
Titleist 913F - 15o
Titleist 913H - 19o
Titleist 714 AP2 - 4-GW
Vokey SM5 - 54o, 58o
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#58 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468870
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

For 10+ years every single club I had was Ping. In the mean time fitting technology (i.e. Trackman) became what it is today. I just purchased an Epic SZ driver and Epic 3 wood over any thing else because I could get fit for the head AND the shaft on a trackman. I'm about to buy JPX 900s because I can get fit on a trackman where as any other brand I cant. For me the ability to KNOW the the numbers are there is almost as important as anything else. Of course if I could afford hotstix I'd play what ever brand fit me the best... But since I don't...

#59 MrTmag

MrTmag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216431
GolfWRX Likes : 370

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:16 PM

I don't like/ won't buy irons with tons of badging. I don't like like how some brands have moved towards gaudy branding. Less is more when it comes to golf clubs in my opinion.

#60 Shilgy

Shilgy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 3970

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

third-times-a-charm, on 10 June 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

Not paying their prices lol

$600+ for a set of irons? lol get out of here...I shoot in the 80/90's and that wont make me any better.

$45 balls? NOPE
Where can you get a set of irons for $600? Been a while since you shopped?

Callaway Epic SZ Fujikura Atmos Black 6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Adams A12 UST Silver S 19* & 21*
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-P Nippon pm 125x
Nike Engage 50* SS
Nike Engage 54* TS
Nike Engage 58 * TS
Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

hunter42

GolfWRX Sponsors