Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I have big swing issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _Txri21

_Txri21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450662
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:03 AM

I am a frequent golfer- practice everyday for at least 5 hours, played 5 rounds of 18 this past week... but I have major swing issues! I will have an excellent short game, wedge game, etc, but find myself hitting maybe 5-6 greens in reg. I didn't always have this problem- back in October I shot even par- 14 greens in reg, 4 birdies. Won the next 4 tournaments I played in. Consistently breaking 80, placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

But recently, I have been in a slump. Haven't won any tournaments for over 3 months. Barely breaking 80. Continueing to shoot 80,81,82,83... Shot terribly at my last tournament- 89. Haven't shot that bad since last year. The day of the tournament I found myself hitting a fade... weirdly, I was hitting huge draws the previous day during my practice round. How did my swing change over night? I wasn't trying to change anything... also, why do I struggle so much with my swing? One day I'll be hitting perfect shots- every fairway, green- but the next week or so, I will struggle and feel like quitting. I have tried going to another coach, but I think he did not help at all, and clearly failed to see the issue. Any advice is welcome.

Edited by _Txri21, 08 June 2017 - 02:09 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 sir_templar2

sir_templar2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405988
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:21 AM

View Post_Txri21, on 08 June 2017 - 02:03 AM, said:

I am a frequent golfer- practice everyday for at least 5 hours, played 5 rounds of 18 this past week... but I have major swing issues! I will have an excellent short game, wedge game, etc, but find myself hitting maybe 5-6 greens in reg. I didn't always have this problem- back in October I shot even par- 14 greens in reg, 4 birdies. Won the next 4 tournaments I played in. Consistently breaking 80, placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

But recently, I have been in a slump. Haven't won any tournaments for over 3 months. Barely breaking 80. Continueing to shoot 80,81,82,83... Shot terribly at my last tournament- 89. Haven't shot that bad since last year. The day of the tournament I found myself hitting a fade... weirdly, I was hitting huge draws the previous day during my practice round. How did my swing change over night? I wasn't trying to change anything... also, why do I struggle so much with my swing? One day I'll be hitting perfect shots- every fairway, green- but the next week or so, I will struggle and feel like quitting. I have tried going to another coach, but I think he did not help at all, and clearly failed to see the issue. Any advice is welcome.

Maybe it isn't a swing issue. Try reading "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella
Callaway GBB Epic 9° Project X HZRDUS 55 6.0
Titleist 915F 15.0 Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70
Titleist 915H 21.0 Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70
Callaway XR Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V90
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56° (bent to 55°) KBS Tour V Wedge
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 60° KBS Tour V Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport, 34" 2° flat

#3 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

This may help.  This is a great explanation on why your ball is doing what it is doing.  I think it is important to have a basic understand of why your ball flies the way it does.  A lot...scratch that...most golfers do not understand the relationship between the path and the face.  My son's instructor was teaching a web.com player a few months ago and he did not understand this basic concept.  Obviously, that player is doing very well so this isn't everything but it could help you understand what is going on.

https://www.youtube....h?v=LAWFChvayG8

#4 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 4644

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Sounds like golf, you'll have your ups and downs. Doesn't mean you can't get better though, keep working hard, enjoy the good golf when you get it and grind through the bad when you aren't playing well.

#5 peat24

peat24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28872
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I agree with Trillhouse---sounds like golf.

There is a great book out there "Paper Tiger" where the author quits it all to get his card. He practices like crazy, only to not get his game any where near the guys he competes against in Q School. A lot at that level is mental.

I was a 5.7 a few years back---A divorce later and less golf played has me at at 11. Then I toss up a 106 last weekend--and I have no idea why. That's golf for ya.

Let me ask you this--why are you so concerned? Are you in school for golf? attempting to get on the tour? If you start not having fun as a golfer than why do it? Not trying to be a troll, just asking a question.

-a.

#6 _Txri21

_Txri21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450662
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

View Postpeat24, on 08 June 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

There is a great book out there "Paper Tiger" where the author quits it all to get his card. He practices like crazy, only to not get his game any where near the guys he competes against in Q School. A lot at that level is mental.

I was a 5.7 a few years back---A divorce later and less golf played has me at at 11. Then I toss up a 106 last weekend--and I have no idea why. That's golf for ya.

Let me ask you this--why are you so concerned? Are you in school for golf? attempting to get on the tour? If you start not having fun as a golfer than why do it? Not trying to be a troll, just asking a question.

-a.

I am going to tryout for my schools team next year- VERY competitive... I'm hoping to be on our varsity 1 team. I also hope to get a partial/full scholarship for golf. I hear that it's not too hard for girls to play division 1 (in comparison to men). I have 4 more years to practice- will be a freshman next year. I have some friends who were freshmen last year, and they already have gotten calls from colleges.

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

View Post_Txri21, on 08 June 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

View Postpeat24, on 08 June 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

-a.

I have some friends who were freshmen last year, and they already have gotten calls from colleges.

I highly doubt this is true.  A college coach can't contact a player by phone until September 15th of their junior year.  The only way they can talk to an athlete before then is if the athlete calls them, or sets up an appointment to meet at the school.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 09 June 2017 - 10:13 AM.

#8 peat24

peat24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28872
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

WAIT! so you are a Freshman in High School! Well then---cool your jets and enjoy the game! Work on that short game and destroy people around the greens.

Golf ebbs and flows. Just wait for it to go back up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors