Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Biggest Misses on Golf Digest 2017 State Rankings

rankings golf digest golf courses

130 replies to this topic

#1 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441076
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

Golf Digest put out their new list of 2017 state by state rankings:  http://www.golfdigest.com/story/best-in-state-rankings

There is a lot to look through and I'm guessing most if it is the same as past years.  But what are the biggest misses in terms of overrated and underrated courses by state?  The biggest one I have seen is Mid Pines in North Carolina.  It didn't even make the top 25 in the state, which seems outrageous to me.  I haven't played all of the NC courses, but if there are 25 courses better than Mid Pines, there is no reason to ever leave the state.  I think a proper ranking would be somewhere around Dormie (12th), but perhaps a little higher in my opinion.

What else stands out?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 3663

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Quintero as the #1 public track in AZ will get debated ad nauseam in the SW forum. There is about a 50/50 split with guys like myself who feel it is not even top 10 maybe not even top 25 worthy and the other half who like looking at pretty things that lack substance. I cannot comment on the private clubs I have only played a handful of them, but not surprising that that the list is top heavy on private. The few that I have played are as good or better than the top public tracks out here sans We-Ko-Pa Saguaro.
@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

#3 QMany

QMany

#TheWRX

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113894
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 5191

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

Golf Digest's Ranking criteria is a joke, and these lists reflect that.
Currently in #TheWRX...

Callaway GBB Epic (9°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 70X
Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X

Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
Callaway MD3 (50° 54° 60°) DG S400 TI
Odyssey O Works R-Line
Srixon ZStar XV

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram

#4 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 878

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

The Massachusetts list is more or less unchanged from the last round. I think there are some debates around the edges, but it's pretty close to the consensus.

#5 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

QMany, on 07 June 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

The fact that they have a few courses that are closed on their lists (Old Silo and The Prince) would support this claim....

#6 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 3663

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

You mean the quality of the hot dog at the turn is not a valid way to rate the entire course :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

#7 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 503

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

Just curious, what specifically makes them a joke?  Having compared several I only find Golfweek to be superior in methodology and in segregation.  None of them are anywhere close to perfect so if that's what you meant, ok, agree.

As for AZ, simply my opinion, I think the following are significantly off (4 or more places if I were doing it).

Too high:
Estancia
Whisper Rock (Lower) although I haven't played it in a long time admittedly
Scottsdale National
Quintero

Too Low:
Pine Canyon (best course in the state IMO)
Silverleaf

Should be on the list and aren't:
Desert Mountain (Outlaw)
Troon North (Pinnacle)

#8 cbbaron

cbbaron

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346439
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

And the course in Boston area I say is similar to Quintero Granite Links makes the Massachusetts list and neither of the Pinehills courses especially the Jones which I and many others feel is far superior didn't make list.
Driver Mizuno JPX 900
3w Titleist 915
19 degree  Titleist 818
22 degree  Titleist 818
5- UW    Ping I200
Sw Vokey 54 S grind
LW Vokey 58 S grind
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5

#9 moonshine

moonshine

I'm finally a LTD believer

• 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

I think putting The Judge above both Grand National courses in AL is a joke.  Hard...yes.  Good...LOL.  They left off Farm Links and it is way better than Judge as well.  I think Willow Point belongs on the list not a bad hole and many on the second 9 right on the water.
"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

#10 QMany

QMany

#TheWRX

• 8,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113894
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 5191

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

az2au, on 07 June 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Just curious, what specifically makes them a joke?  Having compared several I only find Golfweek to be superior in methodology and in segregation.  None of them are anywhere close to perfect so if that's what you meant, ok, agree.

First, the methodology:

Design Variety, Shot Values, Conditioning, Memorability, Aesthetics & Ambiance.

The individual factors are scored on a scale of one to ten, with ten being the best. Each factor accounts for 12.5% of a course’s overall score except for “shot values” which is worth 25% of the ranking. These numbers are tallied and create a system which measures against a perfect score of 80. In order for a golf course to be ranked, it needs to have had a minimum of 45 ratings over the last five years. When it comes time to assemble the list, Golf Digest compiles the ratings from each course and averages out the scores, and boom there's your list.

I agree with this critique from Fried Egg:

As you can see, some of Golf Digest’s ranking criteria are about the actual golf course, but not all of them. When setting out to rank “America’s Greatest Golf Courses” I would contend that most of the system should be about the course.

Ambience has little to no impact on whether or not the golf course is great. Sure, an ambiance can make a club or resort great, but we are ranking the top 100 golf courses, not clubs.

Aesthetics is quite subjective, and can be extremely different from one rater to the next. While I may love minimalist design traits, someone else may love an artificial aesthetic. In the end, aesthetics have very little bearing on how great the golf course is.

Conditioning, especially in the way Golf Digest describes it. Asking “How firm, fast and rolling were the fairways, how firm yet receptive were the greens and how true were the roll of putts on the day you played the course?” is a horrible way to rate a golf course. How is a course supposed to play “firm and fast” if it has rained four out of the last five days? What if the course aerated its greens two days before a rater played? I do believe conditioning is important in rating a golf course, but not in the way Golf Digest has trained their raters to do so.

To recap, these three criteria have little to no bearing on how “great” a golf course is, yet make up 37.5% of the scoring.

Unfortunately, the remaining 62.5% is hardly perfect.

Resistance to scoring. I am a better than scratch player. I can enjoy a round of golf playing any tee box on any golf course.
Unfortunately, the average golfer according to the USGA carries roughly a 15 handicap. It’s why when I play golf at a new course, I think about how much my dad (a 15 handicap) might enjoy it. Golf is a game that 99.9% of people play for enjoyment, when creating a list of the greatest golf courses, why does a course’s difficulty factor into it’s ranking? Why should a course that is playable and fun for the average player be penalized? At the end of the day, par is just a
made-up number.
http://www.friedegg....est-bad-ratings

az2au, on 07 June 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

As for AZ, simply my opinion, I think the following are significantly off (4 or more places if I were doing it).

Too high:
Scottsdale National
I completely agree. Again, this comes down to criteria. The atmosphere, clubhouse, practice facilities are great. But as far as the golf course goes, meh.

Currently in #TheWRX...

Callaway GBB Epic (9°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 70X
Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X

Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
Callaway MD3 (50° 54° 60°) DG S400 TI
Odyssey O Works R-Line
Srixon ZStar XV

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

cbbaron, on 07 June 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

And the course in Boston area I say is similar to Quintero Granite Links makes the Massachusetts list and neither of the Pinehills courses especially the Jones which I and many others feel is far superior didn't make list.

Yeah, Granite Links doesn't belong...but it's #18. When you get that far down the list, it probably has more to do with how many raters have played it.

#12 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 503

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, I've read that same Fried Egg article and agree with many of the points. I just know the others have very similar criteria as I've read the manuals from all of the big 3. That's why I may agree with the points but still can't call them a joke. There seems to be very little appetite to do anything substantially different.

I know multiple Golfweek and Golf Digest panelists and I honestly believe in both cases the problem is the people more than the system.  Some of them are more swayed by name than actual methodology and that messes it up for everyone. The toughest part for me is taking the emotional aspect out of it and justifying the numbers objectively instead of subjectively. My background is software engineering and math so I tend to think that way. That said, I really toil over rating courses to do as much as I can to take the emotion out of it.

#13 HighSpeedScene

HighSpeedScene

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257804
GolfWRX Likes : 2158

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

Illinois list has only one public course!  And it's way overrated.  Cog Hill - there are at least 10 public courses in IL I would rather play than Dubs.

Edit: played the vast majority of the privates, and I think it's pretty good.  Exmoor could be higher, and I think Conway farms is too high, but not bad overall.

Edited by HighSpeedScene, 07 June 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#14 Waterboy

Waterboy

#TheWRX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20281
GolfWRX Likes : 536

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

these ratings are always interesting to read. Not because I believe that everyone is accurate but because it always will result in some great debate about how one course should be rated above another. Or why one course is on and one is left off.

Illinois is kind of funny to me. All but one are private and the one public course, in my opinion, blows. Cog is still riding the reputation is had when it had a PGA event but that turned out to end shortly after that renovation. I can also guarantee you that one or two of the private  courses would probably not want to be on the list since it draws attention to them.

The grading overall is kind of joke. The scale they use should be used to rate a resort, not a single course and there are always different strokes for different folks. Do I want to see mountains, desert, sand hills in the background and surrounding me as I play? Do I give and flying f about ambiance? I don't know, but I don't want golf digest telling me what I want with their scoring criteria.

I'm sure I have more to say but I'm sick of writing on my phone.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

#15 cbbaron

cbbaron

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346439
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

raynorfan1, on 07 June 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Yeah, Granite Links doesn't belong...but it's #18. When you get that far down the list, it probably has more to do with how many raters have played it.
Only public course to make list in Mass

Driver Mizuno JPX 900
3w Titleist 915
19 degree  Titleist 818
22 degree  Titleist 818
5- UW    Ping I200
Sw Vokey 54 S grind
LW Vokey 58 S grind
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5

#16 edresnick

edresnick

FranktheHeadcover

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235891
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

Shelter Harbor in RI should be number 1 in the state without question.  It's far superior to Newport and Wannie.

#17 medicoreMAgolfer

medicoreMAgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425552
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

There are 20+ courses not on this list I would pick over Granite Links and at least a half dozen that have some sort of public access.  TPC Boston is too high on this list as well.   Not sure cape cod national deserves a slot either

#18 golfer912

golfer912

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90789
  • Ebay ID:Sportsboy2589
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:39 PM

HighSpeedScene, on 07 June 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

Illinois list has only one public course!  And it's way overrated.  Cog Hill - there are at least 10 public courses in IL I would rather play than Dubs.

Edit: played the vast majority of the privates, and I think it's pretty good.  Exmoor could be higher, and I think Conway farms is too high, but not bad overall.

I would agree Cog Hill is way overrated. Last summer I played the course and greens were slowest I've ever putted on and course was not in great overall shape. Don't understand how it could make the list. Never played Rich Harvest Farms but from all the coach and player reactions to the course, not a single person had a good thing to say about it

#19 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:36 AM

cbbaron, on 07 June 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

raynorfan1, on 07 June 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Only public course to make list in Mass

Taconic is also open to the public.

#20 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:42 AM

medicoreMAgolfer, on 07 June 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

There are 20+ courses not on this list I would pick over Granite Links and at least a half dozen that have some sort of public access.  TPC Boston is too high on this list as well.   Not sure cape cod national deserves a slot either

TPC Boston is too high - but they've been consistent in over rating it over the years.

I was happy to see CCN make the list (also public-accessible); I think it's in that category. Who were the three knocked off the list? The International? Who else?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 BrianL99

BrianL99

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3245

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:31 AM

Essex?  Granite Links? Vesper?  TPC Boston?  Vineyard Club?

Anyone who would put these courses in the Top 20 in MA, needs to get out more.

Essex is a neat golf course and is of historical interest, but that's it.

Granite Links is awful.  Nice views, but a horrible design in my opinion.  Not that they had much to work with.

Vesper?  Sure, maybe 30 years ago.

TPC Boston?  Thoroughly average golf course.

The Vineyard Club?  It plays and looks like a Muni.  Farm Neck is a far better golf course and only 5 minutes away.

#22 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:52 AM

BrianL99, on 08 June 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

Granite Links is awful.  Nice views, but a horrible design in my opinion.  Not that they had much to work with.

The Vineyard Club?  It plays and looks like a Muni.  Farm Neck is a far better golf course and only 5 minutes away.

If you're knocking 5 out of the Top 20, you've got to propose 5 that are better - it's a zero sum game.

#23 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
GolfWRX Likes : 993

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

Without getting into my thoughts on the issues with these rankings I will throw out Moraine CC in Dayton OH as the most criminally under rated course on these lists.  It should be #1 in the state.  To be fair it just reopened middle of last summer after a massive restoration so I'd guess as more raters see it it will move steadily up the list.
9* Callaway GBB Epic w Fujikura Speeder Platinum 6
9° Cobra LTD w/ Kuro Kage XT 70
10.5* Taylor Made Mini Driver Tour w Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2
10.75* Nike Vapor TW w Aldila Rogue 125 MSI Tour
9.5* Taylor Made M1 440 w Kuro Kage TiNi 60
9* Callaway 816 DBD w Aldila Rogue i/o 60
9* Ping G LS Tech w Project X Handmade
10.5* A Grind Classic 350 w Oban Izawa 60
10.5* Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero w Aldila Rogue MAX 75
9* Bridgestone Tour B XD7 w Fujikura Speeder Platinum 6
9.5* Mizuno JPX 900 w Ozik TP6HD
9.5* Nike Flex 440 w Kuro Kage XT 60
9.5* Taylor Made Tour Issue M2 w Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo 3
9.5* Taylor Made 2017 M2 w Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo 2

FREE AGENT CLUB HO

#24 medicoreMAgolfer

medicoreMAgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425552
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

raynorfan1, on 08 June 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

TPC Boston is too high - but they've been consistent in over rating it over the years.

I was happy to see CCN make the list (also public-accessible); I think it's in that category. Who were the three knocked off the list? The International? Who else?

Here is the old Mass list (somehow I had saved this)

(1) The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill †
(3) Boston G.C., Hingham †
(2) Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth †
(4) Kittansett Club, Marion †
(6) Myopia Hunt Club, South Hamilton
(5) Essex County Club, Manchester
(9) Eastward Ho! C.C., Chatham
(8) Nantucket G.C., Siasconset
(7) Salem C.C., Peabody
(11) TPC Boston, Norton
(12) Winchester C.C., Winchester
(19) Taconic G.C., Williamstown ★
(15) Vesper C.C., Tyngsboro
(10) The International G.C. (The Oaks), Bolton
(17) Hyannisport Club, Hyannis Port
(14) Charles River C.C., Newton
(16) Sankaty Head G.C., Siasconset
(20) Worcester C.C., Worcester
(18) Oyster Harbors Club, Osterville
(-) International G.C. (The Pines), Bolton

#25 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

medicoreMAgolfer, on 08 June 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

(1) The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill
(3) Boston G.C., Hingham
(2) Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth
(4) Kittansett Club, Marion
(7) Salem C.C., Peabody
(11) TPC Boston, Norton

So out are the two international courses and Worcester, replaced by Granite Links, Cape Cod National, and Vineyard?

Demonstrating the shortcomings of these kinds of rankings is that the International (Oaks) apparently fell from #10 to off the list in four years.

Granite Links should never be ranked ahead of either International course or Worcester by any sober rater.

It surprises me that Worcester would fall off the list given that they hosted the Mass Open last year (and had the course in great shape for it).

#26 mci711

mci711

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

Cog Hill is the most overrated course in the country. I play Dubs once a month or so, but it should not be in the top 100. Deere Run, Weaver Ridge, Ravisloe, Mistwood, Glen Club, there are so many other good public courses in IL. Dubs is good, but not top 100 or top public in IL.

#27 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

FairwayFred, on 08 June 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Without getting into my thoughts on the issues with these rankings I will throw out Moraine CC in Dayton OH as the most criminally under rated course on these lists.  It should be #1 in the state.  To be fair it just reopened middle of last summer after a massive restoration so I'd guess as more raters see it it will move steadily up the list.

I haven't seen the course in person, but it sure does look nice in the pictures.  I would hope you're right that it would gradually rise in the coming years as more people see the restoration.

#28 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

BrianL99, on 08 June 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

I don't see any way someone can play Essex and think there are 20 tracks in the state that are better.
TaylorMade M2 9.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 60 (S)
Ping G 14.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping G30 17* w/ Accra Tour Z 85 (X)
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW w/ KBS C-Taper (S)
Mizuno T7 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Circa #3 Mid-Neck Toolbox

#29 tarheel golf

tarheel golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2596
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

Big miss on NC courses. No Mid Pines, Elk River, or Linville Golf Club.

#30 edresnick

edresnick

FranktheHeadcover

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235891
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

raynorfan1, on 08 June 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

medicoreMAgolfer, on 08 June 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

(1) The Country Club (Clyde/Squirrel), Chestnut Hill †
(3) Boston G.C., Hingham †
(2) Old Sandwich G.C., Plymouth †
(4) Kittansett Club, Marion †
(7) Salem C.C., Peabody
(11) TPC Boston, Norton

So out are the two international courses and Worcester, replaced by Granite Links, Cape Cod National, and Vineyard?

Demonstrating the shortcomings of these kinds of rankings is that the International (Oaks) apparently fell from #10 to off the list in four years.

Granite Links should never be ranked ahead of either International course or Worcester by any sober rater.

It surprises me that Worcester would fall off the list given that they hosted the Mass Open last year (and had the course in great shape for it).

Conditions at the International have really deteriorated over the past few years. Not surprised to see those courses fall off.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with rankings, golf digest, golf courses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors