Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Good ball for my junior?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

My son (11) is now competing and I'm curios about balls. He seems to be able to putt anything. Hits his drives about 170-180. Not sure if certain traits in a ball is better for juniors. Low compression?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

My son is 11 and hits it similar to your son based on the distances you listed. I would recommend a lower compression ball that also is soft around the greens. The Callaway Chromesoft and the Taylor Made Project A are two golf balls that I would recommend. We have played both and use the Project A currently. For the average golfer, there is no real difference between golf balls other than how soft they are around the greens. Hank Haney talked about this the other day on PGA radio and was laughing about how people claim they get all this extra distance from different golf balls. Your son just needs a soft enough ball that he can check around the greens.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

Try the Wilson Duo Urethane.

#4 Mike Jamieson

Mike Jamieson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446240
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

I second the Wilson Duo Urethane - very soft - great spin and perfect for an 11 year old

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 513

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

I third the Wilson Duo Urethane.  That ball is money.  Low Compression and it stops.

#6 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thanks, all, for the input. I am curious if a urethane cover is a good idea for a novice. I do currently have some Project a balls I'll have him try. I noticed that a somewhat soft ball that isn't with urethane cover is the Taylormade Distance (70-compression). I'll probably have him it those suggested here and maybe the Distance and let him decide from that. My wife and I can burn through the Distance balls once I buy them - haha. Thanks again... Dreading the upcoming cost of new clubs for him (growing kid) in the next year or two...

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 07 June 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

Thanks, all, for the input. I am curious if a urethane cover is a good idea for a novice. I do currently have some Project a balls I'll have him try. I noticed that a somewhat soft ball that isn't with urethane cover is the Taylormade Distance (70-compression). I'll probably have him it those suggested here and maybe the Distance and let him decide from that. My wife and I can burn through the Distance balls once I buy them - haha. Thanks again... Dreading the upcoming cost of new clubs for him (growing kid) in the next year or two...

The Duo Urethane is a 55 Compression.  

My sons swing speed is right at 90.  We have tried many balls over the past year or two.

Project A: Great Feel doesn't stop
E6:  Great Ball with great feel.  Very good ball for younger golfers.  Doesn't stop on fast greens.
E5:  Great Ball Great Feel.  Goes to high for my son.
ChromeSoft:  Great Ball Great Feel.  Used this ball for 5-6 months.  Long and Stops on greens.  The Duo goes about 5 yards further.
ProV:  Great Ball.  Stops on Greens.  High Compression and doesn't go as far as the Duo Urethane or Chromesoft.
Duo Urethane:  Longest ball he hits.  Soft Feel.  Checks up and stops on greens.  He gets these to spin backwards with his wedges.

I was talking to a former tour pro over a year ago at an event my daughter was playing in with his daughter.  He said in golf you want to pick a ball that will stop.  That was one of the most important things in golf was to figure out how to stop the ball and there are only three ways to do it.  1.  Friction between the ball and the grass slowing the roll down.  2.  Height you hit the ball.  3.  Backspin the club creates on the ball.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 08 June 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#8 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

I think these guys are right on.. Something soft feeling with decent spin. Urethane ball is going to be fine for him I think sounds like he's a good player. Chromesoft is the ball I used to use before I switched to a cheaper ball and I really liked it.
Driver: '16 M2 w/ RIP'D VS Proto 60
3w: 915F w/ Diamana s+ 70
5w: 915F w/ VS Proto 85
Hybrid: 816H1 w/ Matrix Altus 95
Irons: MP-54 5-PW w/ Project X LZ
GW: RTX 3.0 w/ KBS Tour Custom Black
SW: RTX 3.0 w/ KBS Tour Custom Black
LW: RAC FE2O3 60/8 w/ s300
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: NXT Tour S
Bag: Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Adidas Boost s/Puma Biodrive

#9 Noles

Noles

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 June 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

The Duo Urethane is a 55 Compression.  

My sons swing speed is right at 90.  We have tried many balls over the past year or two.

Project A: Great Feel doesn't stop
E6:  Great Ball with great feel.  Very good ball for younger golfers.  Doesn't stop on fast greens.
E5:  Great Ball Great Feel.  Goes to high for my son.
ChromeSoft:  Great Ball Great Feel.  Used this ball for 5-6 months.  Long and Stops on greens.  The Duo goes about 5 yards further.
ProV:  Great Ball.  Stops on Greens.  High Compression and doesn't go as far as the Duo Urethane or Chromesoft.
Duo Urethane:  Longest ball he hits.  Soft Feel.  Checks up and stops on greens.  He gets these to spin backwards with his wedges.

I was talking to a former tour pro over a year ago at an event my daughter was playing in with his daughter.  He said in golf you want to pick a ball that will stop.  That was one of the most important things in golf was to figure out how to stop the ball and there are only three ways to do it.  1.  Friction between the ball and the grass slowing the roll down.  2.  Height you hit the ball.  3.  Backspin the club creates on the ball.
What distances does your son hit his clubs?  I think our kids are of similar age.

#10 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for all the great input, guys. Fantastic. I have to pay closer attention. But, I think he's hitting his 7/8 iron about 125. Driver 170, approx. He'll occasionally paste one out there 200 (he really likes that).

Soon, I will post a video of his swing here. You guys have got to see it. You're going to love it. His swing always grabs people.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

I note that Wilson has a lot of potential offerings within their line of balls. Interesting, because I haven't bought a Wilson ball since I started playing 20 years ago.

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 12 June 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

I note that Wilson has a lot of potential offerings within their line of balls. Interesting, because I haven't bought a Wilson ball since I started playing 20 years ago.

The guy that sized my son up for his clubs gave him a couple of sample sleeves and he loved them.  Only reason he tried them.  They are a really good ball.

#13 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

I generally avoid Wilson balls, no particular reason for it. But that has been in the context of the last 20 year when Titliest held some pretty good patents on their first prov1.   Prior to that the balls were far different.

It been 20 years since those balls came out so I would not be surprised that wilson and other ball manufactures can make similar balls now that we are seeing patents expire.

#14 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 12 June 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

I generally avoid Wilson balls, no particular reason for it. But that has been in the context of the last 20 year when Titliest held some pretty good patents on their first prov1.   Prior to that the balls were far different.

It been 20 years since those balls came out so I would not be surprised that wilson and other ball manufactures can make similar balls now that we are seeing patents expire.

People use Pro V1 because of great marketing, they see the pros use it.  10 years ago, the Prov 1 was the standard for balls.  It isn't anymore.  The ProV1 has several problems for a junior golfer.  The first is it is too soft which means they are losing distance.  The firmer the ball the further the ball  goes.  The second is the compression is too high which means you can hit a 55 compression ball further than the ProV1 which is a 95 compression.  As far as the ProV1X, unless you have a swing speed of a minimum of 105mph, you shouldn't use it.  That is the same for any premium ball with an X or + behind the name.

#15 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

I don't think it is all marketing that makes people use prov1.  Titliest had a 10- to 15 year lead on golf balls which was an amazing feat. A generation of golfers thinks there is no other ball other then titleist.   I think the compression is high on the prov1 but 10 years ago it was still way better then anything else.  Today there is a lot more choices that people need to consider.

#16 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 12 June 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 12 June 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

People use Pro V1 because of great marketing, they see the pros use it.  10 years ago, the Prov 1 was the standard for balls.  It isn't anymore.  The ProV1 has several problems for a junior golfer.  The first is it is too soft which means they are losing distance.  The firmer the ball the further the ball  goes.  The second is the compression is too high which means you can hit a 55 compression ball further than the ProV1 which is a 95 compression.  As far as the ProV1X, unless you have a swing speed of a minimum of 105mph, you shouldn't use it.  That is the same for any premium ball with an X or + behind the name.

Only relaying a message from Titleist so don't shoot the messenger... 'combined Titleist spends less on ball sponsorship for their 100+ Titleist players than Callaway spends on their 13'.  Makes me think they are making a better ball than the rest if they aren't having to pay as much as the other guys. IMO I think the TM TP5 is a better ball.

#17 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

Before his tournament Saturday all I had on hand was a few Project a balls so he played those and asked for more of them. His game is rough as a beginner but I can see it rapidly improving.

#18 Bye90s

Bye90s

• Unregistered
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471842
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

1. Wilson Staff Duo
2. Callaway Supersoft
3. Callaway Chromesoft