Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How often do you see a chiropractor?

90 replies to this topic

Poll: How often do you see a chiropractor? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do you see a chiropractor?

1. I've never been and have no opinion. I like to click poll buttons. (21 votes [22.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.83%

2. Never! They're all quacks and I've never been to one! (23 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I went once and never again! (3 votes [3.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.26%

4. Once every few years. (5 votes [5.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.43%

5. Once a year. (4 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

6. Multiple times a year. (36 votes [39.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
GolfWRX Likes : 23252

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

View Post2bGood, on 04 June 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

View PostBB28403, on 03 June 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Medically they can mess you up man.  The spine is not to be messed with.  In Medical training of Medical Doctors (MDs) they are told never ever ever mess with the spine.  Only Neuro Surgeons can touch the spine and they go to school for some insane amount of time like 12 years in a row.  In the MD world they are the Gods.  Them and Brain Surgeons.  So if they need 12+ years and society demands it, then you shouldn't have joe blo messing with your spine.  
You could become paralyzed very easily.  Just letting you know.

I bought a seat pillow off Amazon I ride in the car with, its memory foam (looks like a U) and I've added excercise, just walking on a treadmill for an hour.  All that took care of my lower back pain.  Good to strengthen the muscles in the core to help the back.

For the record Neurosurgeons and 'Brain' surgeon are the same thing. No one actually formally becomes a brain surgeon - it is slang. You become a neurosurgeon and perform surgery on the nervous system which includes the brain.

Funny enough my brother is a Neurosurgeon and he swears by his chiropractor. All the standing around sometime in awkward positions in surgery all day does mess his back up and he uses chiro to help it.

Here is a Neurosurgeon's advice on chiro - http://www.businessi...ractors-2016-10
My Godfather, Joe Maroon, MD, a neurosurgeon of some repute(https://en.m.wikiped...i/Joseph_Maroon), uses them much like PTs(though their education doesn't come close to that of a Physical Therapist), in that if he thinks that if your condition would benefit from a chiropractor's expertise, he will send ya to him/her.

My father, on the other hand, had a patient last year who bought some kind of prostate herbal concoction from a quack, excuse me, a chiropractor, because he was getting up 3-4 times/night, has some burning while passing his water, etc. Long story short, he shows up at my father's door step with stage III prostate cancer.

They are doctors(an academic title), not Physicians, and like any profession, you have good and bad chiropractors, however they stress business and "practice building" way to much for my tastes and you get them selling all these herbs, vitamins and stuff and the vast majority have zero pharmacology background(unlike a Physician, who takes the basic Class during their second year) and just because this stuff is not controlled or scripted, does not mean that it doesn't have potentially negative and dangerous side effects with someone's other meds.

When I sprained my back, I went to my Godfather, he did a radiological work-up on me and sent me to a chiropractor that he refers to.

Too many try to be Jack of all trades, and in my humble opinion, they're simply Jack-Offs~

Of course, as always, this is just my .03 worth

Regarding neros and their subspecializing, while all are trained in both surgery of the spine and brain, most subspecialize in either the spine work(thorax/lumbar/sacrum) or the cervical area and the brain itself, which is what my Godfather specializes in.

Stay well BroMeisters👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 09 June 2017 - 08:19 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....

GHIN: Beefeater 24

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 BB28403

BB28403

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
GolfWRX Likes : 172

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:06 PM

Can't deal with my intellectual muscle ! Haha

Im Gonna have to use that soon.

#63 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,736 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

View PostHot Rod 71, on 09 June 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

View Postpinhigh27, on 09 June 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

View PostHot Rod 71, on 09 June 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

View PostBB28403, on 05 June 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

Avoid chiropractors.  Period.

You don't need a chiropractor, you need a psychiatrist. Maybe he or she can assist you in figuring out why you have such a big ax to grind.

Suggesting someone to avoid chiropractors is indicative of mental disease?

Everyone who sees a psychiatrist has a mental disease?

It was a joke....
I don't know that I've got a "mental disease," as much as mental "issues" 😜

I've never seen a Psychiatrist for them(I think I got a bunch) though I have been to a slew of shrinks(psychologists). I just hate that with 98% of em, one, they always ask rhetorical questions and turn your question around and ask you "what do you thinks causes that" or "why do you think it is that you get this sudden urge to rip his head off and deficate down his throat?" If I wanted someone to parrot my questions back at me I'd just ask the man in the friggin mirror and save myself $280.

I think the best thing is to just accept that ya have "issues" and move on, as long as you're a socially functioning psychotic.

Wow, I fell better just expressing myself!!

You guys are the friggin Best!!

Thanks🍻

My Best👊
RP

#64 nikegal

nikegal

Golf...A Club, A Ball, A Divot, Ball Flight & A Target.....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414844
  • Handicap::-)
GolfWRX Likes : 2629

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

View PostMitchell, on 09 June 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 09 June 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

View Postjerebear21, on 09 June 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

you can't argue with ignorance, that's for sure.  
LMAO, you must know my fiancé😂

Those are her famous last words before exiting the room😜

I just ignore the comment and take it that she can't deal with my intellectual muscle😜

Have a great evening🍻
RP
Keep it up,tough guy and Maddie's gonna have you eating food purchased from a drive-thru🙊. Either that or may need to 'adjust' to sofa😂
Hi Mitch :) He's a real toughy when I'm half way across the country(at his sister's in fla), lolol. That's ok, I've got a very long memory, haha. I can't handle his intellectual muscle??? He's been violating the 60-minute rule again, lolol. I hope that you're well :) Fondly, Madison

#65 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 652

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:54 PM

Leading causes of death in the United Statesa
1. Heart disease (~614 000 deaths per year) 2. Cancer (~591 000 deaths per year) 3. Medical errors (~440 000 deaths per year)

aSource:
http://www.cdc.gov/
Journal of Patient Safety 2013, 9:122–8

I really could care less what someone thinks of Chiropractors, but if your gonna bash, why not bash Doctors as well.  Death seems a bit more extreme...

#66 BB28403

BB28403

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:17 AM

View Postoikos1, on 09 June 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

1. Heart disease (~614 000 deaths per year) 2. Cancer (~591 000 deaths per year) 3. Medical errors (~440 000 deaths per year)

aSource:
â–ª http://www.cdc.gov/
▪ Journal of Patient Safety 2013, 9:122–8

I really could care less what someone thinks of Chiropractors, but if your gonna bash, why not bash Doctors as well.  Death seems a bit more extreme...

You posted fake news... ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1497075424.152590.jpg

I love when people lie with fake facts.  Alternative facts? Lol.

Edited by BB28403, 10 June 2017 - 01:21 AM.

#67 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3230

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:20 AM

There are times I need some part of my spine cracked when I can't do it myself, and for that, I'll go to a chiropractor. Other than that, most of their claimed benefits are purely delusional.

#68 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,736 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

View Postoikos1, on 09 June 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

1. Heart disease (~614 000 deaths per year)                                                                         2. Cancer (~591 000 deaths per year)                                                                         3. Medical errors (~440 000 deaths per year)                                        

aSource:
http://www.cdc.gov/
Journal of Patient Safety 2013, 9:122–8

Like anything, data and statistics can mean whatever you'd like them to mean, show whatever you'd like them to show, and support or denigrate any position that you'd like to support or denigrate.

As one who's basically spent his whole life in and around an operating room(observing my first at my father's side, actually I was sitting on an elevated stool, as  as a 10yo, to my first Renal Transplant at 12yo progressing to having had an orthopedic implant distributorship(hip/knee/shoulder) for 24 years, where I've personally been involved intraoperatively in 4200+ hips/knees while observing more than that and where I was the only non-MD on the UPMC Orthopedic Grand Rounds Lecture schedule. My point is that though I am not a Physician, I was fortunate to have been at the side of word-Class surgeons of every specialty, from my Godfather in Neuro to my father in Transplant/GS/GU to the Best of the Best in Ortho, from NYC to AZ and Cleveland and Pgh to Fla and Alabama. So I've seen up close the men who not only set the bar, they INVENTED the bar and level that a man is able to achieve surgically, sorta like a "going where no man has gone before" thingy.  

On the flip side, I've been in on what should have been a 45-50 minute, 75-90 minute TOPS, skin to skin(start to finish) shoulder replacement, THE least technically demanding joint replacement that an orthopod will see, and it turned into a 228 minute debacle.

I took my pre-operative, intra-operative and post-op notes, which were good enough to be accepted into a Major Univerty's Grand Rounds Lecture hall and presented them to the Chief of Surgery and said if he did not immediately place a monitor on this doc, I would call the press and keeping obvious confidentiality, release the relevant information regarding the type of butchery that was being tolerated(it was known that this clown was a chop) at this hospital, which is world renowned private hospital.

Well, that frayed my relationship with my father that day, as he was that Chief, however after reading the notes, speaking to other Orthopods, this doc within 6 weeks was practicing in WVa(now I feel really sorry for those poor peeps) and to this day has never stepped foot back in PA though he still calls Pgh home.

My point???

#1, two wrongs don't make a right. The logic that just because there are shatty MDs/Surgeons out there gives any more credibility to some non-Medical profession that is allowed to play in the arena is bullshat and there is nothing that I've stated thus far that I have not already stood in front of a lecture room and said to a roomful of surgeons, taking on all comers(my father and I didn't speak for 8+ years over the orthopedic incident above).

You wanna put that lil stat ya googled above on the wall in front of em and take on all comers and defend that????

Good luck with that......

#2, while no "avoidable" death is acceptable, and in today's environment, there are more safe guards than ever before however when you have an activity and a human is involved, while there are a very select few who are flawless, NOONE is perfect. I've witnessed an error that was down the line, post-op, nurse/med related and it goes back to the doc in charge, at his feet.

And I do not mean to disparage nurses. The are wayyyyy overworked, many under paid and while a surgeon is trained to perform in this his stress high stakes world, a nurse is not, yet they are not being asked to, they are being forced to in this "cut costs at all costs" healthcare environment that is today's reality.

However for as many "opportunities for errors" to occur, the ACTUAL error numbers are amazingly low, in that they have improved from the 70-90's though the environment is wayyyyyyyy worse for a surgeon today.

Obviously I am not making excuses for incompetitent surgeons as I have personally seen that the individual and two others be called before their peers to account for their ineptitude, however unless you are standing in that OR, over an open patient, with his/her life in YOUR hands, regardless of the body part being cut on, please don't just throw google data dumps out without being able to go deep as to what they mean and more importantly what is YOUR answer.

The healthcare field doesn't need individuals to point out the mistakes problems and areas of concern. We got millions of those idiots-

The healthcare industry needs men/women who can provide solutions, answers and long term fixes~

Ya know, that "part of the solution" versus "part of the problem" thingy-

If you don't have answers you're worthless to the situation-

This is not directed at you Oikos, as I've stood in front of thousands of surgeons over the years and said this very thing.

Excuse the novel, however this hits sorta close to home and the bottom line is that if ya gotta a chiropractor who helps ya, do your thing and thank the good Lord that you found someone to give you a better life.

Stay well and have a great season🍻

My Best👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 10 June 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#69 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

Well, I'm glad you got it. It is statistics and once the "fake news" card has been played, the depth of any discussion becomes non-existent.  The link to the article I was referencing was not attached for which I accept full responsibility and have attached below.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5234149/

Why do surgeons continue to perform unnecessary surgery?
"Patient safety in surgery has historically suffered from a lack of physician-driven initiatives aimed at recognizing, preventing and mitigating medical errors and surgical complications [1]. In spite of a multiplicity of global patient safety initiatives, mandatory safety protocols and the introduction of surgical safety checklists, we continue to fall short of protecting our patients from preventable harm [26]. This unrecognized problem has escalated so far that medical errors currently rank as the 3rd leading cause of death in the United States [7, 8] (Table 1). Strikingly, in the 21st century, we still have to come to terms with the absurd reality that it is significantly safer to board a commercial airplane, a spacecraft, or a nuclear submarine, than to be admitted to a U.S. hospital [914]. What can surgeons do to protect their patients from the hidden dangers of an imperfect health care system? The most intuitive solution is to avoid complications originating from surgical treatment that may not be indicated or beneficial for patients in the first place. In other words, avoiding unnecessary surgery could be considered the most pragmatic approach towards reducing preventable surgical complication rates."

The point is there is help and harm at all levels and your last sentence summed it up.  Perhaps I should've used a more current example, like say, I don't know, opioid addiction.

http://time.com/4675...pioid-epidemic/
http://www.kevinmd.c...it-belongs.html

#70 BB28403

BB28403

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

I posted the REAL cdc numbers from their site.  Your numbers were made up.  How were they made up you may ask? Cuz they end in 000, not some odd number.  And also the CDC doesn't list that statistic At All.  Check it out for yourself:

https://www.cdc.gov/...es-of-death.htm

And I just find the moniker fake news funny and alternative facts Cuz it's a strategy to knock down anything someone doesn't like.  So in an ironic way it's funny to me.  
But that 400,000 number you have is wrong.

Edited by BB28403, 10 June 2017 - 10:47 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Soloman1

Soloman1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246523
GolfWRX Likes : 3010

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

To answer the topic question, yes, I see chiropractors. I don't use them, but I see them.

I only see them in certain countries, though. There are many places in the world that don't recognize it a valid health care "profession" any more than they consider a voodoo witch doctor to be a valid health care professional.

Speaking of psychiatrists, I understand that no patient has ever been cured of a mental illness by a psychiatrist. They are treated (often with drugs), but never cured. It's hard for me to wrap my head around a psychiatrist being a doctor.

I see Richard is back with a vengeance!

Edited: Oh, and then there's this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q...m doctor errors

Edited by Soloman1, 10 June 2017 - 12:11 PM.

I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
Avogadro would be proud.

#72 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,736 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostBB28403, on 10 June 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

I posted the REAL cdc numbers from their site.  Your numbers were made up.  How were they made up you may ask? Cuz they end in 000, not some odd number.  And also the CDC doesn't list that statistic At All.  Check it out for yourself:

And I just find the moniker fake news funny and alternative facts Cuz it's a strategy to knock down anything someone doesn't like.  So in an ironic way it's funny to me.  
Thanks Bro🍻

Ya saved me from ruining a good buzz to tear that apart, lol

Stats, Google and data dumps are a dangerous thing is the wrong hands😂😂

Very Nicely Played👍

Have a great weekend👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 10 June 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#73 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,736 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

View Postnikegal, on 09 June 2017 - 10:32 PM, said:

View PostMitchell, on 09 June 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 09 June 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

View Postjerebear21, on 09 June 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

you can't argue with ignorance, that's for sure.  
LMAO, you must know my fiancé😂

Those are her famous last words before exiting the room😜

I just ignore the comment and take it that she can't deal with my intellectual muscle😜

Have a great evening🍻
RP
Keep it up,tough guy and Maddie's gonna have you eating food purchased from a drive-thru🙊. Either that or may need to 'adjust' to sofa😂
Hi Mitch :) He's a real toughy when I'm half way across the country(at his sister's in fla), lolol. That's ok, I've got a very long memory, haha. I can't handle his intellectual muscle??? He's been violating the 60-minute rule again, lolol. I hope that you're well :) Fondly, Madison
I hope that you're having fun on the course and the pool today, lol.

Give everyone a hug🤗

Lovingly,
Me
😘

#74 jbw749

jbw749

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142633
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 438

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

If you've been in any sort of accident, had head trauma or played football, please see an upper cervical chiropractor before you do anything. All they do is adjust the atlas, it is not voodoo although they will try to get you come back way more than you need too or they wouldn't be called chiropractor.

#75 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73898
GolfWRX Likes : 2601

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

View Postjbw749, on 10 June 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

If you've been in any sort of accident, had head trauma or played football, please see an upper cervical chiropractor before you do anything. All they do is adjust the atlas, it is not voodoo although they will try to get you come back way more than you need too or they wouldn't be called chiropractor.

I would never ever let a chiropractor touch my c-spine. If you've had head trauma and it's legit, go to ED and get your CT and make sure there is no intracranial bleeding.

How to be in better shape for golf?
Become a better athlete.
Don't worry about golf specific.
Compound lifts w/ linear progress
Don't forget the mobility work.
More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700

#76 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,736 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

View Postpinhigh27, on 10 June 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

I would never ever let a chiropractor touch my c-spine. If you've had head trauma and it's legit, go to ED and get your CT and make sure there is no intracranial bleeding.
BINGO!!!

I Played ball for 17 years though it was being on the receiving end of a drunk driver that ended my football career as I had severe head trauma(was in a medically induced coma for 9 days to allow swelling to subside) and my Godfather was my Neurosurgeon. My trauma was such that he could not sign off on my physical prior to signing a FA contract and my career ended with a whimper, lol.

As Pin stated, I would never ever go to a chiropractor as a primary specialist for any cervical/cranial conditions.

Pin's exactly right as the first thing that they'll(Neuro) do is  order a radiological work-up-

Of course, just my .03 worth

Take Care👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 10 June 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#77 jbw749

jbw749

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

This is the procedure I'm talking about. Jim McMahon featured it on 30 for 30 on espn and many football players who suffered concussions have reported success with it. It is zero cracking or twisting.

My wife has MS and was willing to try anything so that's how we found out about it. It did help with the mobility of my neck instantly, but after that first adjustment I haven't noticed any benefits from following visits, but man I couldn't turn my head all the way to the right for 10 years and after the adjustment I had no problem with it.

#78 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11072

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

I see my chiro whenever my back hurt.

Most holistic medicine is about a paradigm shift in how you see your body and general health.  It's about using tools to feel better.  Massage, stretching, and some manipulation works for me.

One of the best things my chiro ever told me, is that golf doesn't have to be hard on your back.  A great trick to combat how one-sided the golf swing can be is to swing like you're hitting it from the other side of the ball after every three or four swings.

#79 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 8,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 4043

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

I have some friends that are chiropractors, and several family members that swear by them. So I won't pass any judgement.

But my experience is all I can use to base my opinion on . I had a back that used to give me pretty serious problems. Would usually spend a week or so every couple of months basically lying prone. I was finally desperate enough to try one. I got what seems to be the pretty standard "one leg is longer than the other" from him, he did some pushing, pulling, and cracking and said, "you should be feeling some relief now". I don't know if I did or not, but probably wanting it enough, I tried to believe it. Then I got the, "ok, come back tomorrow and we'll work it again". I went back, and afterwards got the tomorrow thing again. I never went back a third time. No help on the back either (the back got better when the YMCA took out their original tartan surface floor in the gym and went to wood)

Now I readily admit it's a solo experience, and this guy was old. I'm sure there are better procedures and proecesses now.

But I remain skeptical and would have to be pretty desperate to try one again.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#80 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

View PostBB28403, on 10 June 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

Identifying causes and reasons for "medical errors" can certainly lead to a variance in actual statistical numbers, however a Johns Hopkins study also suggests that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S., which is the point I was highlighting.  Unless these sources are fake news as well:

https://hub.jhu.edu/...cause-of-death/

The Johns Hopkins team says the CDC's way of collecting national health statistics fails to classify medical errors separately on the death certificate. The researchers are advocating for updated criteria for classifying deaths on death certificates.
"Incidence rates for deaths directly attributable to medical care gone awry haven't been recognized in any standardized method for collecting national statistics," says Martin Makary, professor of surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and an authority on health reform. "The medical coding system was designed to maximize billing for physician services, not to collect national health statistics, as it is currently being used."

"Top-ranked causes of death as reported by the CDC inform our country's research funding and public health priorities," Makary says. "Right now, cancer and heart disease get a ton of attention, but since medical errors don't appear on the list, the problem doesn't get the funding and attention it deserves."

http://www.pbs.org/n...cause-of-death/

http://catalyst.nejm...entable-deaths/

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 jbw749

jbw749

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

View Postjbw749, on 11 June 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

This is the procedure I'm talking about. Jim McMahon featured it on 30 for 30 on espn and many football players who suffered concussions have reported success with it. It is zero cracking or twisting.

My wife has MS and was willing to try anything so that's how we found out about it. It did help with the mobility of my neck instantly, but after that first adjustment I haven't noticed any benefits from following visits, but man I couldn't turn my head all the way to the right for 10 years and after the adjustment I had no problem with it.

Crickets?
Has anyone else had this procedure done?

#82 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• 7,567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 2697

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:54 AM

Haven't seen my chiro in about 6 months.  Not unusual and sometimes it's longer.  Wednesday, just standing at work doing nothing, I got a twinge in my right side.  Next thing I know my back muscles are spasming (is that a word?) and I know a rib has gone out.  Happened before and result of an old sports injury.  Tried to play Friday and was in pain the whole way.  Straight to the chiro and back again today.  Back in place - stable and ready to golf without pain.  My chiro is really good and likely won't see him for months again.

Doubters and alarmists can say what they want, but almost any other form of treatment would still have me walking around like Quasimodo waiting for that appointment.  I do have a voodoo priestess on call too, just in case. ;)
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
X2 Hot 5-PW Recoil Reg - D1
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#83 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3230

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

What I wonder is how having your back cracked fixes 'alignment'?

#84 TheGeekGolfer

TheGeekGolfer

Just beat the Huskies! Go Cougs!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103159
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

View Poststryper, on 03 June 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Never been to a chiro, may try at some point, but for now, I'm trying a Jedi mind trick on my own arthritic, corkscrews-shaped back.

Recently read a book by John Sarno, in which he suggests a mind-body connection that traditional therapies might be missing.  After the reading, I think he might be onto something.

Not a shill for the guy...in fact, I recommend not buying any of his books (he's got a few), but try find one to check out from your local library instead, and see if it resonates.  

Not 100% sold myself, but I am intrigued by what my body is telling me right now.  Decades-long lower right side back pain and sciatica are almost completely gone in less than a week, which obviously goes all the way to "if it sounds too good to be true...."

Anyway, just posting this in case someone might find some value here.
Yes, I believe there is definitely a mind-body connection. The main point being (to me) that you learn more and more, with how to listen to your body and understand what you need with certain stretches and exercises.

#85 BB28403

BB28403

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostSocrates, on 12 June 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Haven't seen my chiro in about 6 months.  Not unusual and sometimes it's longer.  Wednesday, just standing at work doing nothing, I got a twinge in my right side.  Next thing I know my back muscles are spasming (is that a word?) and I know a rib has gone out.  Happened before and result of an old sports injury.  Tried to play Friday and was in pain the whole way.  Straight to the chiro and back again today.  Back in place - stable and ready to golf without pain.  My chiro is really good and likely won't see him for months again.

Doubters and alarmists can say what they want, but almost any other form of treatment would still have me walking around like Quasimodo waiting for that appointment.  I do have a voodoo priestess on call too, just in case. ;)

A rib went out?  I don't think they are supposed to move.  Just stay in place and protect the vital organs.  You ever had an MRI of all that to see what is actually wrong with you?

#86 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,567 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

View PostBB28403, on 12 June 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

View PostSocrates, on 12 June 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

A rib went out?  I don't think they are supposed to move.  Just stay in place and protect the vital organs.  You ever had an MRI of all that to see what is actually wrong with you?
A guy jumped on my back when I was 16 playing football.  Back nearly folded in half at that spot.  It's just not really solid there and sometimes things slide around and need a little coaxing back into place.  Neurosurgeon wasn't overly concerned about it other than it is a weak area (yes there was a MRI).  40 years later, it's still working - most of the time.

Likely not a rib out of place but the vertebrae that the rib attaches to is pinching something.  But that is how they describe it.

Edited by Socrates, 12 June 2017 - 06:07 PM.

Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#87 BB28403

BB28403

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

Dang sorry man, that when your parents put you on the golf team? ;) jk

#88 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,567 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostBB28403, on 12 June 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

Dang sorry man, that when your parents put you on the golf team? ;) jk
Actually it's one of those things you didn't tell your parents.  Walked around with a hunch for a few weeks.  Then a guy cross-checked me playing hockey and put it back in place.  The stupid things you do when you are a kid come back to haunt you later.  The MRI came decades later although I had seen many a chiropractor over the years.  Like many my age, we have a litany of injuries and if it wasn't for drugs (the legal kind), I wouldn't be playing.
Vokey SM2 52º cc
Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Scotty X7M Dual 38"
MCC Align Midsize

#89 Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125845
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

My chiropractor is awesome, doesn't prey on frequent fliers and doesn't adjust me or my wife unless he feels it's absolutely necessary.

My PCP on the other hand is a shite doctor who couldn't pick me out of a line up, has little to no interest in any of the actual problems I have and I have a hard time having him prescribe me Motrin let alone diagnose any real problems.

Just remember, you don't know if your doctor/chiropractor/PT or whoever was an A+ student or a C student. You're putting your trust in them that they have your best interest at heart.

The point is, there's good and bad in every field. If you don't believe in chiropractors, don't go. But don't judge and belittle those that choose otherwise.
Driver - 2016 M2 HL w/ Kuro Kage TINI proto X Stiff
3 Wood - 2016 M2 HL w/ Diamana Blueboard Stiff Flex
3/4 Irons - Mizuno MPH5 w/ KBS Tour 125 S+
5-PW - Mizuno MP25 w/ KBS Tour 125 S+
Wedges - Callaway MD3 51/56/60 w/ KBS Wedge Flex
Putter - Scotty Cameron Kombi S

#90 endurancechiro

endurancechiro

The man with the Iron Thumbs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189796
  • Handicap:~15
  • Ebay ID:chirotennis
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostDoppelganger, on 03 June 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

...and do you recommend it?

I have a colleague who highly recommended regular visits and was nice enough to separate fact from fiction for me last week (ie don't expect a chiropractor to magically fix your allergies). Jordan Spieth has specifically thanked his chiropractor after a streak of wins and obviously a team of chiropractors tour with the PGA players and offer regular checkups/alignments/whatever-they-call-it.

I'm on the fence, it sounds expensive and possibly useless but on the other hand I could see how a golfer could really benefit considering how bad we are on our spines and joints.

If you have visited one please let me know what you think and what your situation was that put you in their office.
There are many different types of Chiropractors and depending on what you are looking for, you will want to find the right match.

I personally do not run a "wellness" or maintenance care practice (unless the patient had a very bad injury and specifically asks to be seen routinely).  Spieth for example works with a highly respected soft tissue and rehab Chiropractor in Dallas, I run a similar model, actually working inside a PT clinic.  I.E. patient walks in the door, we evaluate, order imaging if necessary, and get started on a program that includes varying methods of soft tissue care, adjustments, and rehab exercises (much like a PT would do).  I spend on average 45-55 mins with each patient to do this, but see them 4-8 times (again, much like a PT would do).  I see a wide range of injuries with this, and have seen range of motion dramatically increase, strength and stability excel, and most importantly pain decrease.

As with any doctor, it is important to look into your provider and decide which one matches your goals the best.  From a sporting perspective, someone with great familiarity with the sport or activity that does rehab to fix movement deficits, balance, and address muscle imbalance is key.  Just a thought from the profession, and please remember, there are a wide range of every kind of doctor, good and bad.  There's no reason to lump all of them together.  Best of luck on whatever you decide!

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
WITB  Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors