Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is it better to get a lesson monthly by the best coach in the state or lessons weekly by a regular coach?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nkc5555

nkc5555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468328
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

I am conflicted on this, I have taken lessons weekly this past year with an LPGA coach and she has taught me the basics. However I am male and I am wondering  if she will be able to help as I try to master things in detail to become a consistent scratch. Her lessons are affordable which is why I take them weekly. However, I have been on the internet and I have seen that a certain coach has coached a couple of golfer who got recruited at the schools I want to play at, however his lessons are hundreds of dollars an hour which is why my family can only afford to send me monthly, should I go with the number one coach monthly or a regular coach weekly?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

Two things....

1.  College coaches don't care about scratch.  If you are only scratch you aren't good enough to play high level college golf.

2.  Try the guy that is once a month and see if you like it and hit it off.

#3 nkc5555

nkc5555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468328
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

@heavy_hitter , how good do I need to be to play high level college golf?

#4 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

It sounds like you need to look at the new Coach. The thing is no matter how good any coach is after a while your not going to learn much from them.

I would look at it as a graduation for you. Usually when you feel like you do need a change coach it means it is a good time to move on. I would call up the new coach and talk to them explain that you can only afford so much. Lots of coaches offer discounts if you take lots of lessons.

I also think you may need to plan on more lessons upfront then once per month.in many cases you might need once a week for a month or two for things to really pay off.

Edited by tiger1873, 01 June 2017 - 10:27 AM.

#5 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442640
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

View Postnkc5555, on 31 May 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

I am conflicted on this, I have taken lessons weekly this past year with an LPGA coach and she has taught me the basics. However I am male and I am wondering  if she will be able to help as I try to master things in detail to become a consistent scratch. Her lessons are affordable which is why I take them weekly. However, I have been on the internet and I have seen that a certain coach has coached a couple of golfer who got recruited at the schools I want to play at, however his lessons are hundreds of dollars an hour which is why my family can only afford to send me monthly, should I go with the number one coach monthly or a regular coach weekly?
That coach didn't build the player , he only developed the natural skill those players have . If that coach is going to be taking credit for all the work he's done with those players and use that as a sellling feature , their is a high chance you should run for the stars away from him . I know I wouldn't be too happy with my current swing coaches if they used me to drum up business online.

Also your point about the LPGA coach not  being able to teach you about the specifics off the game because you're a male is just you trying to sell yourself on the other coach . I have a swing coach at school who's a fantastic women , knows what she's talking about , and has helped make me a much better player , and after 1 1/2 I had my best semester yet because we followed our PLAN to let things fall in place

#6 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

I would not have a problem with a coach saying he coached my daughter especially if she was successful.

From what I can tell being a golf instructor is tough business. It is in their interest to make you successful. Too many good golf instructors leave because they simply do not make enough money. Also if you are using them as a teacher it means there helping your game period otherwise you would not have used them. All golf instructors will talk about there best students. If you have a need to be private then you need to discuss it with your teacher and expect to pay more for lessons.

It a bigger deal to make sure the instructors are good for your game then Who they taught. At the same token your instructor also needs more business to stay in business and invest in equipment to help you.

Edited by tiger1873, 01 June 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

View Postnkc5555, on 31 May 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

View Postnkc5555, on 31 May 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

Just my opinion.

Upper D1 Golf +2 to +6
Lower D1 Golf 3 to +1  (A 3 probably isn't on the traveling roster.  To put this in perspective, I know 12 year olds that have handicaps better than a 3.)

Handicaps don't mean anything to college coaches.  If you start looking at college rosters, a lot don't have a handicap.

College Coaches care about Junior Golf Scoreboard, Polo Rankings, and the World Amateur Golf Rankings.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 01 June 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#8 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 2225

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Whether male or female, if you're seeing a teacher every week, getting new stuff to work on, that is too much teaching.  It takes more than a week to ingrain a change.  The new guy once a month might clear your head.  Keep in mind that after you get to a mid-single hdcp, it becomes increasingly difficult to drop those final strokes, and swing mechanics are not likely to be the catalyst.  Whatever you do, good luck with your golf and your ambitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors