Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

what to look for in a junior coach

41 replies to this topic

#31 rizzo66

rizzo66

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64
  • Ebay ID:prizzo66
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

View Postgolfer55082, on 14 June 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Any recommendations on a good (best) golf teacher in Minnesota/Wisconsin region?
For a girl or a boy ? and what level are they at right now

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 golfer55082

golfer55082

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433258
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

Boy. 12. Typical score is around 80 from white tee.

#33 rizzo66

rizzo66

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

Craig Waryan or Peter Krause   - at Edinburgh USA Brooklyn Park   -- If you're looking for total  fitness club fitting instruction - Lynn Anderson at Totally Driven golf in Edina

Two of my kids kids ( 1 was on LPGA Tour 1 one is on mini tours) worked with both Craig and Peter  - Craig is very holistic and works with a lot of juniors for he has simple methods and very non technical ( but very effective)   Peter is technical and uses video  and veeeery good for a student that really wants to dissect his swing - He was head of instruction at one of Haney's facilities  and works with some high profile players - both are excellent with boys or girls .

#34 rizzo66

rizzo66

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

Well my kids had a teacher to give them the basics then they moved on to Peter Krause when they started to get really serious and the  teacher told us they were beyond what she thought she could help other than keep them on track. they worked with Peter for quite awhile and only moved for he got very busy with some senior tour players and availability suffered. We then found craig through referral and they have worked with him on and off  ( Their best teacher was chuck mingo RIP who was simple but extremely effective  )   They then worked with Peter Kostis when they moved to AZ - Craig still does check ups on them and takes their notes from Kostis so he doesn't conflict. It seems like some instructors want to completely change a swing once its ingrained and its nearly impossible its better to find one that enhances a players physical and mental attributes.

#35 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

View Postgolfer55082, on 14 June 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

I don't know of TPI certified golf coach; just did quick Google search and it looks very interesting. But still, what do you find a TPI assessment is helpful?

The approach with my sons coach isn't the typical approach and it is refreshing.  It isn't "You need to work on getting your weight to the front foot." or "You need to rotate through the ball better." and then just showing him how to do those things.  It is taking exercises and drills away from the course to help with the components of the swing.  

Examples:

A)  Posture needs to be improved so you need to spend several minutes a day, every day of the week working on basketball defensive slide drills.  Withing a month the posture is improved and included to his warm up routine.

B)  Can't get to your front foot so he needs to work at home, not on the course, on simple skipping and A skipping drills to strengthen both legs together.  Also work off the course on some baseball swing type drills.  Also needs to work on bear craws.

Just a lot of simple motor development and physical development skills that all kids need rather than standing over them saying "The club is off plane and it needs to be here."  They focus on the physical attributes of the player and how to make those stronger to so they can incorporate into the swing to make it better and to strengthen the qualities or deficiencies they have in that manner.  They spend more time on exercises and drills rather than "Hit another ball and do this."

Edited by heavy_hitter, 15 June 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#36 golfer55082

golfer55082

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433258

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 15 June 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

I don't know of TPI certified golf coach; just did quick Google search and it looks very interesting. But still, what do you find a TPI assessment is helpful?

The approach with my sons coach isn't the typical approach and it is refreshing.  It isn't "You need to work on getting your weight to the front foot." or "You need to rotate through the ball better." and then just showing him how to do those things.  It is taking exercises and drills away from the course to help with the components of the swing.  

Examples:

A)  Posture needs to be improved so you need to spend several minutes a day, every day of the week working on basketball defensive slide drills.  Withing a month the posture is improved and included to his warm up routine.

B)  Can't get to your front foot so he needs to work at home, not on the course, on simple skipping and A skipping drills to strengthen both legs together.  Also work off the course on some baseball swing type drills.  Also needs to work on bear craws.

Just a lot of simple motor development and physical development skills that all kids need rather than standing over them saying "The club is off plane and it needs to be here."  They focus on the physical attributes of the player and how to make those stronger to so they can incorporate into the swing to make it better and to strengthen the qualities or deficiencies they have in that manner.  They spend more time on exercises and drills rather than "Hit another ball and do this."

Interesting. I think these exercises are very helpful for juniors not only help their core strength now (therefore drive longer and more consistent) but also help prevent injuries.

I looked up TPI certified Golf pros in this area. A golf fitter called Totally Driven provides TPI assessment as well as golf fitness programs. Here comes the part I am not comfortable with: they mark the TPI assessment service as $250, but give it away for free if you register to one of their 3-month or longer golf fitness problems. It is similar as "entire golf bag fitting us $500, but it's free if you purchase clubs from us". In my humble opinion, it's a bad marketing and price model that totally dismisses the value of expertise for golf fitter and TPI professional alike. I rather feel comfortable with the model to separate service (expertise) and product.

#37 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

View Postgolfer55082, on 15 June 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Examples:

Interesting. I think these exercises are very helpful for juniors not only help their core strength now (therefore drive longer and more consistent) but also help prevent injuries.

I looked up TPI certified Golf pros in this area. A golf fitter called Totally Driven provides TPI assessment as well as golf fitness programs. Here comes the part I am not comfortable with: they mark the TPI assessment service as $250, but give it away for free if you register to one of their 3-month or longer golf fitness problems. It is similar as "entire golf bag fitting us $500, but it's free if you purchase clubs from us". In my humble opinion, it's a bad marketing and price model that totally dismisses the value of expertise for golf fitter and TPI professional alike. I rather feel comfortable with the model to separate service (expertise) and product.

I wouldn't sign up for the TPI fitness program.  I would find a guy that incorporates it into his teachings.  The head pro at my club is TPI certified.  I would never send my kid to him because he doesn't incorporate the fitness and drills into a junior program or the lessons he teaches.  That and I personally don't feel he is a good junior instructor.

#38 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113938

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

I do think it's good to have an instructor with some exercise physiology training so like heavy hitter said, he or she will understand limitations.  

For example, constantly preaching to rotate and get on front... well if your hip flexors aren't strong enough or flexible enough you won't be able to do that move. Same with full rotation back etc etc.  That understanding is priceless.

That being said, I prefer my daughters trainers to be Physical Therapists or Sports Medicine trained  You just can't expect a golf pro to know the intricacies of the muscle combinations that's a trained PT or MD does.  Just like I would go to a sports medicine MD and have him do a 6 week training and teach me golf swing.

Also, TPI isn't the only game.  Egoscue is getting very popular, especially with females along with Pilates

#39 rizzo66

rizzo66

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

View Postgolfer55082, on 15 June 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Examples:

put aside the marketing Totally Driven actually has a good fitness program for the gentleman running it is a fitness expert 1st and and a pga pro 2nd - very knowledgeable on the correct strengths needed. You have to be careful that the trainer really understands golf for there is a huge school  of thought that one size fits all in training. I know a Tour pro that actually lost distance and was more injury prone because he listened to the wrong trainer. My daughter worked with a trainer that kept claiming she was gaining distance with her strength but the real benefit was the conditioning she was getting and the strength was letting her expend less effort.

#40 kcap

kcap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

This was a helpful thread.  I am looking for suggestions for a coach in the Jersey area.  Will drive to NY or PA as well.   We have a coach but think my son is ready for a change or at least needs some one who has a history with kids or willing to draw up a long term plan for his development.  How did every one go about finding their coaches?  Did you use the certified coaches under US Kids or look for the biggest name in your area.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

View Postkcap, on 05 September 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

This was a helpful thread.  I am looking for suggestions for a coach in the Jersey area.  Will drive to NY or PA as well.   We have a coach but think my son is ready for a change or at least needs some one who has a history with kids or willing to draw up a long term plan for his development.  How did every one go about finding their coaches?  Did you use the certified coaches under US Kids or look for the biggest name in your area.

We've been through a couple of coaches now and have finally settled on one.  It took us going through ones that didn't 'connect' with my son for various reasons and then finally finding one that did.  He came as a recommendation from a dad (also a PGA teaching pro) that my son plays with and another dad that has a son taking lessons from him.  We had wanted to work with him in the past but he's pretty hard to get in with and it took those two dads recommendations for him to first see my son.  After that he was impressed with my sons ability and we've been together since.  Two things I would say to look for... one, make sure they are a PGA certified pro and two, that they have taken students to the levels you are looking to achieve.

#42 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

We looked for coaches who taught other high level junior's. From that list we looked to see if they themselves had personal tournament experience.  You would be surprised at how many Golf Pro's do not have tournament experience on a personal level.  Some the top level teachers recommended to us had no real tournament experience in their past and score in the high 80 or 90's in recent tournaments. Needless to say that is not a good thing. The better coaches score real low or have played in a few pro events at a high level.

From there you should narrow it down and then it comes down to their personality and teaching style. After doing my research I do not think there is much value in certified certificates like US kids or even TPI certified.  Unless you know exactly what levels there certified in you may not be getting what you think.

Even PGA certification can be confusing because they may be working under someone else. Also some very talented young teachers will not have certification. That is why you want to look at there official scores or some sort record of there playing career to see if they know how to score and then figure out if the teaching style matches what you need.

For us we out new coach made a huge difference and within 2 or 3 lessons you could see a big difference. At a certain point though you may need to seek out even specialty coaches that will help your game like a putting of chipping coach.

Edited by tiger1873, 05 September 2017 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors