Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is it just me that doesn't get on well with ProV 1's?

72 replies to this topic

#1 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 637

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Dont get me wrong, it's a very good ball but after years of playing it - because the pro's do and the marketing is good - I found 2 other balls by default that feel better imo, look better imo and play better for me from Driver to putts.

I've always found Prov 1's don't stay very white after a few holes and scuff easily plus I probably dont have the swing speed to get the best out of it with all clubs.

Tried Callaway Chrome soft and Srixon Z star and for me they are ahead of ProV 1's in all the areas that I dont like in ProV's

Just curious if anyone else had similar experiences and/or plays ProV "cause the pro's do"?

*edit* thank you admin for moving this post, didnt realise there was a ball forum.

Edited by PerseveringGolf, 28 May 2017 - 11:27 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Delvecchioforza

Delvecchioforza

Del Vecchio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465188
  • Handicap:gf
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

after rounds and rounds of experimenting for me, nothing beats the Bridgestone E6 speed ball is hands down the best feel and less side spin. Those balls are truly meant for the great swings and also deep pockets. Now if i find a couple then of course ill play them if they aren't beat to hell.
Taylormade- M1 2016
RSI irons
TP Wedges
Scotty Cameron 2013 Select Newport 2 Notchback
Bridgestone E6/ Vice Tour

#3 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 2611

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

Each to his/her own.  That's why Jack's idea of making a single Tour ball won't work.  There is things I like about many types of balls and some things I don't like and I really don't care if I use a Prov, TP5X, Chrome Soft, E6 or whatever.  I do usually just play one type over the long haul so that I know what will happen when I hit it.

There is something special about finding one of the above in really good condition.  Almost like it's good karma and they play better.
Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" Ping G30 10.5º Ping TFC 419 Reg or Stiff Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff X2 Hot 5-PW Recoil Reg - D2 Vokey SM2 52º cc Ping ES 56º and ES 60º Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#4 OsnolaKinnard

OsnolaKinnard

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442454
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:osnolakinnardb
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Titleist to me:  You suck and we hate you.   They make beautiful clubs and quality products but they are serious clubs for serious golfers amd apparently I am neither.

LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT

#5 Mike Jamieson

Mike Jamieson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446240
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

Not you - millions dont play Pro V1's....Taylormade Tour Preferred is as good or better

#6 jacot23

jacot23

Major Winner

• 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 416344
  • Ebay ID:jacot23
GolfWRX Likes : 952

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

I just want to be the first in this thread to mention K-Sigs (Costco Kirkland Signature) :D

I really like the new Srixon Q-Star tour, especially at $20-$25 per dozen.

Mizuno JPX-900 Driver Graphite Design Nano Reloaded S flex 44.75"
Callaway X2Hot 17* fairway
Adams Tight Lies 3&4 hybrid
Cobra King F7 irons 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50*& 56*(raw) wedges
34" Machine M2 Converter Aluminum Bronze w/center shaft hosel,
Steelfiber i110 S flex tipped 2.5",
Winn mid size pistol grip.

WITB

#7 Trap Draw

Trap Draw

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204253
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

I've tried over the years to get away from the V1x .... but I can't.  It just "works" for me better than anything else I have used.  BUT ... that doesn't mean it would work for YOU.

I trained under a prominent semi-retired CHampions Tour player.  We chose a ball by working from the green BACKWARDS.

We took several balls and saw which ones we liked with the putter.  Threw out the others.

Then we hit wedges from 30-40 yards.  Threw out the ones we didn't like.

Then we hit 6 & 7 irons to flat greens.  Again threw out the ones that didn't suit us.

Lastly, we hit them with the driver.  Honestly, the remaining balls had very little difference in distance and flight characteristics.

All that said, there may be times when you might want to re-introduce one of the discarded balls back into the test if the remaining ones aren't giving you the results you want as you progress back towards the tee box.

I can hit most anything off the tee and get adequate distance and keep it in the fairway.  How the ball reacts inside 150-160 yards and close to the green is what is most important to me.

#8 Bensdad

Bensdad

Never thought I'd still be playing this good!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85737
  • Ebay ID:Bensdad
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Unless I find them or receive them free you will not find a Pro V1 on my tee peg.  Back in the old days of balata they were the gold standard but now the cost is too high and there are other balls that perform better for me.  The Srixon Z Star is one that immediately comes to mind.
My biggest complaint about the Pro V1 is an unexpected surplus of back spin when I least expect it.  Nothing like hitting a drop-and-stop wedge only to have it rip back 15 feet.  Not what I want or expect in my golf game.

#9 Dakeys06

Dakeys06

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448392
  • Ebay ID:Dakeys06
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

View PostBensdad, on 02 June 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

Unless I find them or receive them free you will not find a Pro V1 on my tee peg.  Back in the old days of balata they were the gold standard but now the cost is too high and there are other balls that perform better for me.  The Srixon Z Star is one that immediately comes to mind.
My biggest complaint about the Pro V1 is an unexpected surplus of back spin when I least expect it.  Nothing like hitting a drop-and-stop wedge only to have it rip back 15 feet.  Not what I want or expect in my golf game.

Just played a few rounds with the pro v1 after getting some for free and this has constantly happened to me. I've hit plenty shots that I thought were close only to spin back too far or check up when I least expect it. That's not to say I don't like a ball that spins, but it's been too inconsistent for me personally

#10 iGuy

iGuy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465888
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

View PostTrap Draw, on 31 May 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

I've tried over the years to get away from the V1x .... but I can't.  It just "works" for me better than anything else I have used.  BUT ... that doesn't mean it would work for YOU.

I trained under a prominent semi-retired CHampions Tour player.  We chose a ball by working from the green BACKWARDS.

We took several balls and saw which ones we liked with the putter.  Threw out the others.

Then we hit 6 & 7 irons to flat greens.  Again threw out the ones that didn't suit us.

Lastly, we hit them with the driver.  Honestly, the remaining balls had very little difference in distance and flight characteristics.

All that said, there may be times when you might want to re-introduce one of the discarded balls back into the test if the remaining ones aren't giving you the results you want as you progress back towards the tee box.

I can hit most anything off the tee and get adequate distance and keep it in the fairway.  How the ball reacts inside 150-160 yards and close to the green is what is most important to me.

Very well said and I agree the best way to find the best ball for your game.  I recently went through the same process (sort of).  I recently came back to the game and started back playing a two piece soft ball to reduce side spin as I found my swing.  I also moved to a desert climate where the greens are harder than I am used to...so long story short is now that I am swinging decent again I am finding I need more spin going into these harder greens...and I am a high ball, high spin player.  So I am starting the search for a different ball and my company's​marketing department is selling off stuff from last year and are selling a dozen Pro V1 logo balls for $25.  So I ordered two dozen figuring I would start my process between these and some W/S Duo Urethane balls I have???

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5 (14 div)
PING G Crossover 3, AWT 2.0 stiff (+1/2 - green dot)
PING i20 (3-PW) CFS stiff (+3/4 in - black dot)
PING Glide SS - 50 deg - CFS Stiff (+3/4 - black dot)
W/S FG Tour - 56 Deg - Tour sole design (+3/4)
PING Tomcat C 34in (black grip - heavy)
W/S Duo-Spin/Urethane

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 sneaky_pete

sneaky_pete

insufficiently adult

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447294
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

I use them if I find them or win them - I wouldn't pay for them.  There are balls out there just as good if not better.  I prefer a Z-Star or Wilson Staff FG Tour - both feel better off the club than a ProV and are more durable.  I can get 36 holes out of the Z-Star or FG Tour but after 18 holes the ProV looks like crap.  Not paying 30% - 40% more for a ball that lasts half as long.
Ping G LS Tec 9* Matrix Ozik HD 6M3 Black Tie Shaft X-Stiff
Adams Speedline Super S Fairway 15* Matrix Ozik HD Radix S VI Shaft Stiff Flex
Mizuno Fli-Hi II 18* Driving Iron Mizuno Exsar Shaft Stiff Flex
Mizuno MX-200 Irons 3 - PW True Temper XP115 S300 Shafts
Cleveland RTX 3.0 V-MG Wedges 52* & 58*  Stock Wedge Shafts
Yes Milly C-Grove Putter fitted with Iomic MidSize Grip (Yellow)
Grips:  Lamkin Rel-Ace 3Gen Mid (Blue)
Ball:  Srixon Z-Star (Yellow) or Wilson Staff FG Tour
GPS: Sonocaddie V300
Range Finder:  Leupold GX-3i2

#12 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

I think it's a very good ball but is a bit pricey and a little spinny for me. What I do notice, on a related note, is how many ProVs I find in the rough/weeds. The pro shops are loaded with stacks of boxes of this ball and it sure seems that a huge portion of the weekend warriors are playing them. But, I can't help but wonder if the ball is a mismatch for many who are playing it. They are easy to find off the fairways an our local munis...

#13 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 10887

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

I end up with a ton of them for promotional reasons, but admit they aren't the best ball for me.  A little too much spin with driver for my inability to control ball flight with that club.  I recently found a Q Star Tour in the bushes and played the rest of the round with it.  Great ball.  Better than the K-Sig IMO which I have two dozen of sitting around in boxes.

#14 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

Major Winner

• 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Handicap:4.8
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

I really like the Pro V1 for my game.  I don't buy the $48/dz though, I will get the logo balls for $36/dz.  They have always been pretty consistent for me with all clubs but I will agree, their durability isn't so great.  Often times, I notice they are kind of beat after 9 holes which kind of sucks.  I just bought three dozen Bridgestone balls to try out, RX/RXS, and if I like them as much I will probably just stick with them and save a few bucks from now on.
Cobra LTD Black Rogue Black 60x
Titleist 913 Fd 15* Speeder 757 TS
Titleist 913h 19* Proforce V2 86
Titleist 913h 21* Proforce V2 90
Titleist 695mb 4-P PX 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 52-12/58-12
Scotty Cameron Del Mar

#15 RecidivistGOLFER

RecidivistGOLFER

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399646
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 28 May 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

Dont get me wrong, it's a very good ball but after years of playing it - because the pro's do and the marketing is good - I found 2 other balls by default that feel better imo, look better imo and play better for me from Driver to putts.

I've always found Prov 1's don't stay very white after a few holes and scuff easily plus I probably dont have the swing speed to get the best out of it with all clubs.

Tried Callaway Chrome soft and Srixon Z star and for me they are ahead of ProV 1's in all the areas that I dont like in ProV's

Just curious if anyone else had similar experiences and/or plays ProV "cause the pro's do"?

Most of my gripe with pro-v1 is their uncanny knack for finding water or impenetrable woods within the first 3 swings of use.  Put a V1 in my hand it's gone in one hole.  Give me a pinnacle gold and I'll get between 9 & 18 holes or more out of it.

That said, I like the chrome soft better.  

*edit* thank you admin for moving this post, didnt realise there was a ball forum.

Ping G25 10.5 Degree Driver
Ping G25 16.5 Degree 4 wood
Ping G25 20 Degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX825 Pro 5-GW
Mizuno MP T5 56.10 / 62.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Tei3

#16 sdandrea

sdandrea

Steve

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 28 May 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

I don't make enough clubhead speed to take advantage of the Pro V1.  I just won a dozen TM Project (a) and REALLY like them.
TM '07 Burner 10.5* & 3W
Cobra Baffler Rail F 5W
PING G10 4-UW TFC Graphite
PING Eye 2+no+  SW, LW
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#17 vwgolfer

vwgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5955
  • Ebay ID:7458eric
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

I agree. I think the price per dozen is the biggest rip off in golf. Especially when most players should not be playing it. I find them all the time (I loop)  I just give them away because I dont like them for my game either. Plus it just bugs the crap out of me that so many people play them just because they are too weird or scared to try a Bridgestone or a Srixon ball. Amazing how many players THINK they need to buy a Titleist. I turned one player on to Snell. After I play a few rounds with the Qstar tour I am going to start recommending this ball provided it performs like I think it will. The Price on that ball cant be beat.
F7 attas 3
LTD. attas 3
F6 hybrid. vts
Z565. recoil 95
Pur wedges
Piretti Matera

#18 Underlined.i

Underlined.i

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106566
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:03 AM

Can't stand them. I really like the TaylorMade TPX, and right now I am debating on switching to Snell or Vice. but you won't ever catch me with a ProV again.

#19 spineshank

spineshank

Advanced

• 263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138420
  • Handicap:5.7
  • Ebay ID:gnrslash4life
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:47 AM

I played them for years. Then moved on to Vice. Now ive moved to the the K-Sig's and when those run out the Bridgestone B330-S. To each their own.
Ping G400 LST 10*
Taylormade M2 15*
Callaway Apex 20*
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-PW
Cleveland 588 wedges 50* | 54* | 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport Classic

#20 xkilgorextroutx

xkilgorextroutx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466834
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:54 AM

I just don't have the swing speed to compress a Pro V1. The Duo Soft and this year's new Q Star Tour are right up my alley. I give away any Pro V1s I find on the course.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Kmac™

Kmac™

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125246
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:18 AM

I dont get along with them either and then they went and switched up the balls this year.

Try the Srixon Q-Star Tour. Its a great ball for less money. After that I love the TM TP5/TP5x balls.

#22 NVS_Pegasus

NVS_Pegasus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423642
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

If I take a Pro V1 out of the bag I usually lose it on the following shot.
Driver: TM Aeroburner Mini-Driver 12.5
3W: Titleist 915F3 15.0
5W: TM Jetspeed
​3 Iron: Titleist MB 716
​4-P: Titleist MB 714's
52: TM ATV
​58: Titelst Vokey Wedgeworks
60: Titleist Vokey
Putter: Nike Method

#23 kmc

kmc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85048
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

I'm A 10 index that would play a mid priced ball. NXT TOUR, Bridgestone RXS, etc.  Our course has hard,fast greens so I decided to try
a Prov-1 to see if it would really make any difference. My index, after 30 days will be almost 2 strokes lower. I haven't lost any distance,
and full shots are more predictable distance wise. The price sucks,but, I'll easily make that up in winnings. I'm sold for now

#24 kmac02576

kmac02576

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241739
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

Unless you have a 100+ mph swing speed and can really spin the hell out of your wedges, the Pro V1 isn't for you.

It isn't for 95% of golfers. It's for professionals, the few really good amateurs, and the suckers who buy in to the "because the pros play it" mentality.

On this board, there are many really good amateurs who fall into that 5%, but unless you're a 4 handicap or less, save your money and get a ball more suited to your game.

#25 kejoal11

kejoal11

IYAOYAS!!!!

• 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21951
  • Handicap:4.3
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

i prefer the tpx and now the tp5x. me and prov1's do not see eye to eye. snell mtb is my backup ball.

In My Bag
TM M2 Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 6.2
TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3
TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX
TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X
Mizuno S5 50, 54 Modus 125 Wedge
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB/TP5X

#insideTMAG 2013

#26 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 348

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

View Postkmac02576, on 17 June 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

Unless you have a 100+ mph swing speed and can really spin the hell out of your wedges, the Pro V1 isn't for you.

It isn't for 95% of golfers. It's for professionals, the few really good amateurs, and the suckers who buy in to the "because the pros play it" mentality.

On this board, there are many really good amateurs who fall into that 5%, but unless you're a 4 handicap or less, save your money and get a ball more suited to your game.
Sorry, but this is erroneous information.  If anything, the less you can spin a wedge the MORE you need a urethane covered tour ball to get some control around the greens.  I'm a 9 HC with modest swing speed and the Pro V1 (and other branded urethane cover 3 or 4 piece balls) make a noticeable difference.  Especially in drier summer conditions for not so receptive greens.
PING i20 10.5*
Titleist 975F 16.5*
Adams a7 19*
Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 3-P
Nike VR Forged 52*, 58*
Cameron Studio Select Newport

#27 Mukky

Mukky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440390
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

View PostTrap Draw, on 31 May 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

I hear a lot of people say this, but how do you know you didn't discard a ball that would have given you another 10-15 yards off the tee? More distance off of the tee is certainly more important to me than how a ball feels with an iron and I could get use to the feel of a ball from a putter but I can't just adapt to the loss of 15 yards off the driver. That's a club or two down on my approach shot

#28 18thbunker

18thbunker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143863
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

I am not good enough or crafty player to play Pro V1's as I can not control the spin.
driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5
fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons -   Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon

#29 branedamag

branedamag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297713
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

View Postjacot23, on 31 May 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

I just want to be the first in this thread to mention K-Sigs (Costco Kirkland Signature) :D

I really like the new Srixon Q-Star tour, especially at $20-$25 per dozen.

I can't find the Kirklands for love or money.

#30 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 637

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

Callaway Chrome soft - best ball I've played in years

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors