Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Vice vs Vice: Pro Soft and Pro Plus

Pro Soft Pro Plus Vice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thejuice

thejuice

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2000
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

Quick but fun review...

My buddy and I split a couple of orders from Vice.  One order of Pro Soft and one order of Pro Plus.  We each got 2.5 doz in the Neon Lime and Neon Red.  We have two different playing styles, so this was even more fun than just a basic review.  

My style is more of an inconsistent type off the tee box (always trying fix my driver swing).  I am more deadly with my irons and really make up strokes with my wedges and putter.  SS average with the driver is 105.  Usually drive the ball about 250 yds including roll on a non-windy day on a flat fairway (normal ball is Chrome Soft and Nike Platinum).  

My buddy is more aggressive off the tee box.  He's a long ball hitter for sure.  Not as consistent around the greens so he relies on his length to get him to the green.  He is a good putter though.  His SS average is about 112 with an aggressive downswing.

Look:
The matte finish of the Pro Soft is different in a good way.  It does get dirty pretty easily, but nothing that a wet towel won't fix.  I love the colors.  The Neon Lime and Red both stand out, with the Red really standing out in the air and on the ground.  On the occasion when I put one near the trees, the Red really stood out.  It took me four rounds to lose a ball.

The "normal" finish of the Pro Plus feels so normal.  LOL!  The colors are why they stand out.  The Red looks more "red" (compared to the almost pink look of the Soft).  The Pro Plus Lime really stands out in a great way in that it looks like a real lime without the skin.  Awesome colors!

Distance:
So for me, the Soft was longer.  I think it's the lower compression of the ball, but I hit it with better distance than my normal gamers (I put one out there 275 yards with no wind and on a flat fairway).  I was in a place I wasn't used to being in.  Also, I had to club down because I was hitting my irons longer than I was used to hitting them.  

The Plus was like hitting my usual gamers.  No difference in distance for me at all with the Plus.  

My buddy had the opposite reaction.  The Pro Plus was longer for him compared to his normal gamers (Project A and Chrome Soft).  He noticed about a 5-10 yard gain with the Pro Plus.  Not so much with the Soft, where we noticed about a 5 yard loss.  He didn't notice any distance gain or loss with his irons with either ball.  He hits a high ball though so I think a windy day would be better for him to gauge the distance with his irons.

Feel:
The feel of both was great off the driver.  Off the irons, I think the Pro Plus felt better, but probably because I'm used to a typical urethane ball.  Nothing wrong with the Soft's feel at all.  Off the putter, the Plus was better, but again I think that's due to me being used to the usual urethane feel compared to the matte feel.  I putter better with the Soft though.  Go figure!

Spin:
For me, the Pro Plus was spinnier off the driver and the irons.  That wasn't a good thing for me because I definitely saw a distance loss due to the extra spin.  I liked the low spin feel of the Soft off the driver.  Hitting approach shots was different.  The Soft would stop about four feet from it's mark, while the Plus was more hop and stop (with slight spin back).  

For my buddy, the Plus was perfect as he was hitting his normal bombs off the tee.  His approach shots seemed to be just like they were with his normal gamers.  No big difference for him.  He actually got the Soft to stop closer to his mark than I did.  I guess it was because he hits such a high ball.  

Overall:
I ended up with the rest of his Soft balls and he ended up with the rest of my Plus balls.  I'm looking forward to gaming these for the year.  I really think I've found my ball for the 2017 season in the Pro Soft.  My buddy may never find his golf ball holy grail, but he seemed to be excited to put the Plus into play in the coming tournaments.

Srixon Z565 9.5* w/HZRDUS Yellow 65
Callaway EPIC 15* w/Fuji Pro 72
TEE Beta 2H w/RIP Alpha 80x
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 610
EVNROLL ER-2

Gameball: Vice Pro Soft, Srixon Z Star

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:42 AM

Found a Vice Pro and tried it last night against an AD333 Tour and a regular Z-star. Genuinely taken aback by how well it flew and stopped. Great feel and as long as the Z-star. Ordered some off the internet last night.

#3 scrap22

scrap22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119370
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Just shot my best round ever today with the Vice Pro Plus. A 76. I have never broken 80 before. I bought 1 dozen of the Pro and 1 dozen of the Pro Plus. I normally play either Bridgestone RX, Snell MTB or PvoV's. I really only got the VIce because I was curious, but now I may be hooked. My intention was to mix it up, but I couldnt stop hitting the Pro Plus. Loooong of the tee and the greenside control was as good as I have ever had. I was actually surprised at how nice it rolled off the putter. Really nice. Yes, I have been practicing and trying to work on my game and I am sure that is a big part of it, but these balls were really great from tee to green for me. Anyhow, just thought I would pass my experience along as well. Anyone on the fence with the Vice, I would say give em a try.
Callaway Epic Driver 10*  
Callaway Epic Heavenwood
Mizuno JPX 900 Hybrid 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Mizuno S5 - 49* 52* 56* 60*
EVNROLL ER2
Vice Pro Plus / Snell MTB

#4 stixman

stixman

Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Handicap:12.2
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 1267

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

I got a sample pack with all four Vice balls. The outstanding ball was the Pro Plus. It was very predictable, awesome in the wind and longer than the Prov1. However the headline was how well it bhaved around the green and how well it cam off the putter face.

It's a German game changer for me!

Edit; sorry I forgot. 3 rounds and it's scuff free, and no feathering on the wedge shots.

Edited by stixman, 14 June 2017 - 03:13 PM.

Vintage various.

#5 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

I just ordered the Pro+ and they're coming in a couple of days, pretty excited to put them in play!

Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

#6 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 763

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

i have 5 dozen of the pro plus. I am a little mixed so far. i need to keep playing them to decide. I think that i will like them but i am not sure yet.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; VICE PRO PLUS/CALLY CHROME SOFT X/SRIXON Z STAR

#7 Oknows

Oknows

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 332809
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

Which Vice ball compares to the Z Star?  The Pro?  Pro+ would be the XV correct?
Callaway Epic 9* w/ Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60x
Callaway XR 16 15* Speeder 565
Callaway XR 16 19* Speeder 565
Srixon z545 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 130s
Cleveland RTX CB 48* Nippon Modus 130s
Vokey SM5 54* Nippon Modus 125
Vokey SM5 58* Nippon Modus 125
SeeMore Si5

#8 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 763

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

Oknows, on 02 August 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Which Vice ball compares to the Z Star? The Pro? Pro+ would be the XV correct?

I like the vice pro plus. I dont think it is the best ball out there. but it plays well and is a decent price. i think i like the Z star better but the vice ball is a better deal.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; VICE PRO PLUS/CALLY CHROME SOFT X/SRIXON Z STAR

#9 vancemt

vancemt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473750
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:vancemt83
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:57 AM

I bought the Pro Plus and they are a bit too hard for me. Partially my fault in over estimating my swing speed and buying a four piece ball. My biggest complaint is the durability though. Just a few hits and several of the Neon Red balls have cuts in the finish. The distance may be there but the durability and feel is not... for me anyway.

I think I may be switching back to Srixon... give the Q star tour a shot.

#10 monks66

monks66

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465294
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:04 AM

I hit a few vice pro soft yesterday....even they seemed hard off the irons for me...Snell is where its at

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

#TheWRX

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 5762

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

I've played the Pro and the Pro plus quite a bit over the past few weeks. These are my thoughts.

Both are similar in feel with the Pro being slightly softer. I didn't think the Pro Plus was as firm as a ProV1X or Srixon XV.  

The Pro spins slightly more off all clubs, making it easier to shape shots. The Pro Plus flies straighter.

Greenside is wash for me. Both performed about the same.

Durability was really good. Much better than ProV, almost as good as good as the Z-Star line.

When I tested these I put one of each in my pocket without marking them so I couldn't tell which one was which. It was really difficult to tell the difference between the two in terms of feel off the driver and irons. The Pro was slightly softer off the putter. Distance was similar on well struck shots and wind performance was good with both, but not as good as the Z-Star XV.

If I had to choose it would be the Pro since I like to shape shots. However, for the money I would but the Snell MTB over these.
Callaway EPIC 10* - Diamana W 60X
Callaway EPIC 17* - Diamana Kai'li 80X
Srixon U65 3/20* - Nippon Pro Modus 125-S(hs)
Srixon Z765 4-PW - Nippon Pro Modus 125-S(hs)
Titleist Vokey SM6 50, 54, 60 - Modus Wedge 115/125
Odyssey White Hot XG #7
Srixon Z-Star XV/Snell MTB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Srixon Z-Star Series Test Panel 2013
Tensei CK Blue Test Panel 2015
#TheWRX 2016

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors