Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Balls for high handicaps

74 replies to this topic

#31 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Handicap:17.2
GolfWRX Likes : 322

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Without knowing if you have a low, medium, or fast swing speed I can just give you what has worked for this 65 year old 85 mph driver swing speed 17 HCP golfer.

I normally play the 3 piece Gamer Soft but have some fun with 2 piece balls like the SoftFli, DT Trusoft, or SuperSoft because of the extra distance I get but they do roll out on the greens.   None of these balls will break the bank since if you are like most bogey handicaps you are very capable of a par or birdie, but also have the occasional blowup round where you lose a couple of sleeves of balls.  If you have a high swing speed you could do well with the 3 piece e6 Speed or Straight (on sale at Dicks)  or the Gamer.  The NXT Tour is a good ball but IMO way overpriced.  The Bridgestone e6 Soft is on my list to try at its current sale price.

And if you drive the ball straight but need help on the greens I would try one of the lower priced urethane covered balls such as the Gamer Tour or Wilson Duo U.

Good luck and have fun experimenting!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 ttucliffhanger

ttucliffhanger

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468262
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:ttucliffhanger
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

You should try Cut Golf Balls. Cheap so if you lose them it's not as big of a deal and they are great balls.

#33 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1843

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

We're in a great age for golf balls. It used to be that you should pay in relation to your game. ie: high handicap golfer should play cheap balls as any distance ball will work better for your game than any tour ball. While better golfer should pay the most as only the expensive balls performed. There is still truth to this, but with this exception: a high handicap player will no longer be hurt by using a tour quality ball as multi layer technology can benefit anyone. So IMO a high handicapper should play the ball that they likes the looks of and can easily afford. Be it a used Pinnacle Rush or a new ProV1x.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

#34 bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433366
GolfWRX Likes : 254

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Snell Get Sum. Ive got a pretty bad slice and I manage to hit some pretty decent shots with it.

#35 zzyzxx33

zzyzxx33

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46767
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

Top-Flight Gamers are solid. IMO

#36 john_g

john_g

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414100
  • Handicap:6.0
  • Ebay ID:john_g1950
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

In that handicap range I think a 3-piece, Surlyn/Ionomer covered ball would serve you best (Bridgestone e6, Taylormade Aeroburner Pro, etc.).  If you want to go budget it's hard to beat the Wilson Fifty Elite, even though it's a 2-piece ball.

I'm convinced that most amateurs of 12 handicap and higher are at a disadvantage playing a urethane covered ball.  They simply do not put in the time to learn to control the spin around the greens.  Sometimes they'll play for runout and catch it crisply and have it check up on them, leaving them 10 feet short, and other times they'll do the opposite, trying to put some check on the ball and having it run out on them.  It's better to play a ball that always releases and play the same type of short shot all the time.

#37 hova7

hova7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420782
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

View Postjohn_g, on 05 June 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

In that handicap range I think a 3-piece, Surlyn/Ionomer covered ball would serve you best (Bridgestone e6, Taylormade Aeroburner Pro, etc.).  If you want to go budget it's hard to beat the Wilson Fifty Elite, even though it's a 2-piece ball.

I'm convinced that most amateurs of 12 handicap and higher are at a disadvantage playing a urethane covered ball.  They simply do not put in the time to learn to control the spin around the greens.  Sometimes they'll play for runout and catch it crisply and have it check up on them, leaving them 10 feet short, and other times they'll do the opposite, trying to put some check on the ball and having it run out on them.  It's better to play a ball that always releases and play the same type of short shot all the time.

I agree very good points here.

#38 Golf4lifer

Golf4lifer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352391
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

I respectfully disagree with your points here. When I played surlyn/ionomer balls I never really improved and rarely broke 100. I was playing one day with an older gentleman who gave me a Pro V1 and told me try it for the rest of the rounds. Did I score better that round no, but I did learn something.

1. if I hit the all crisply around the green the ball will check.
2. if I don't hit it crisply the ball will roll out more.

I took this information and ran with it and my handicap has dropped since. Had I not tried the urethane ball that day I would not have learned these thing and would have most likely quit golf as I was very frustrated with the game before this. This is just my story, but tell me how can you learn to use a particular golf ball without playing It? Should we not try a urethane ball because we may miss hit it around the green? If that the case, we shouldn't use a surlyn ball as I might hit it crisply and have it roll off the green or I could hit it fat and leave it short.

Just my opinion

</rant>

#39 ob18

ob18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Well add in that some just don't have the time or money to put into fine tuning their swings/games...............
10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Nickent OMEN Tour Series 4 putter

Srixon Q-Star

#40 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

View PostGolf4lifer, on 05 June 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

I respectfully disagree with your points here. When I played surlyn/ionomer balls I never really improved and rarely broke 100. I was playing one day with an older gentleman who gave me a Pro V1 and told me try it for the rest of the rounds. Did I score better that round no, but I did learn something.

I took this information and ran with it and my handicap has dropped since. Had I not tried the urethane ball that day I would not have learned these thing and would have most likely quit golf as I was very frustrated with the game before this. This is just my story, but tell me how can you learn to use a particular golf ball without playing It? Should we not try a urethane ball because we may miss hit it around the green? If that the case, we shouldn't use a surlyn ball as I might hit it crisply and have it roll off the green or I could hit it fat and leave it short.

Just my opinion

</rant>
I think that both sides of this story hold value. The key for truly improving is using one ball and sticking with so you know what the ball will do. I've shot in the 60's with a Pinnacle Soft, in the 80's with a ProV1x, and everything in between. Getting spin when you don't think you will is almost as frustrating as sitting 100 yards out to a tucked pin and knowing you had better just for the middle of the green as the ball on the ground will not stop no matter what your skill. Of course, the middle of the green is way better than short sided in the rough because you thought you were better than you are:)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Golf4lifer

Golf4lifer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

View Postjslane57, on 05 June 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

View PostGolf4lifer, on 05 June 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

Just my opinion

</rant>
I think that both sides of this story hold value. The key for truly improving is using one ball and sticking with so you know what the ball will do. I've shot in the 60's with a Pinnacle Soft, in the 80's with a ProV1x, and everything in between. Getting spin when you don't think you will is almost as frustrating as sitting 100 yards out to a tucked pin and knowing you had better just for the middle of the green as the ball on the ground will not stop no matter what your skill. Of course, the middle of the green is way better than short sided in the rough because you thought you were better than you are:)

I agree with sticking with one ball and one ball that fits your game. I need a ball I can control around the greens. Once I found that ball, it was a game changer.

Golf is such a frustrating game, but man I do enjoy playing even on my worst day.

#42 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Broke 80 with a Wilson Ultra, shot 74 with an orange Top Flite XL.  72 with a yellow Gamer.    The type of ball doesn't matter as much for mid to high handicaps.  What matters is good putting and chipping and not wasting strokes on stupid shots.

#43 Golf4lifer

Golf4lifer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:23 PM

View PostNeed2golfalot, on 05 June 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

Broke 80 with a Wilson Ultra, shot 74 with an orange Top Flite XL.  72 with a yellow Gamer.    The type of ball doesn't matter as much for mid to high handicaps.  What matters is good putting and chipping and not wasting strokes on stupid shots.

It mattered for me and it might matter for others as well. Switching to a urethane ball when I was a high handicap got me to mid and now bordering on a single digit handicap. I was so inconsistent playing the Top Flite XL's when it came to chipping and putting that I never improved. Once I switched to a urethane ball, with same amount practice, my putting improve because my chip shot ended up closer to hole. I could control chip shot better, iron shots stopped on geeens with less roll out allowing me to go after pins I couldn't before.

Yes I shot some great rounds with non-urethane balls, but I'm much more consistent with the urethane ones.

#44 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

The only days I could control the XL  around the green was when it was muddy and slow.  😆  Then there were times I couldn't get a urethane to stop either.

After changing putters I need a softer feeling ball.  The Gamer feels a little too clicky now.  XL's and TM Burners feel like hollow bricks.  The Elite 50, Duo, Softfli, and Gamer Soft are working.  Maybe one day I can stick with one model at a time.

#45 Huey222

Huey222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 452974
  • Ebay ID:getoutthere222
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

Broke 80 with a Wilson Ultra, shot 74 with an orange Top Flite XL.  72 with a yellow Gamer. The type of ball doesn't matter as much for mid to high handicaps.  What matters is good putting and chipping and not wasting strokes on stupid shots.

All you need to do is put the ball in 18 holes in 72 shots, its that simple! :cheesy:

Any insight on the supersoft vs. q star vs e6 soft? Sounds like theres a lot of fans of the e6 here...

Titleist 915D2 9.5*
Adams Insight BTY 16.5*
Adams Idea Pro 19*
Srixon 545 4-6
Srixon 745 7-pw
Cleveland 588 Forged 52* and 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

#46 gohatters

gohatters

Golf is so much more fun from the "wrong side of the ball&q

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115203
  • Ebay ID:upstatemerch
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

View PostNeed2golfalot, on 30 May 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

View PostBeerPerHole, on 29 May 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

Yeah..I have enjoyed the D2 Feel.

Have purchased these as cheap as $8 per 15 pack box.  Flash sale (clearance) or Black Friday sale.  

I really liked the old Gamer V2s. I now have the d2+ Feel and gamer tours in my bag. Both solid for the price. I lean towards the D2's because I'm extremely cheap and they perform just fine for me with a handicap near 10-12. Plus i have no anxiety when i lose one because they're less than $1/ball. They go far and fairly straight. Not much spin around the green but oh well.

I'm thinking about going one tier up. Soeither more Gamer Tours or Duo-U or maybe Q-Star Tours. All can be had for $20/dz give or take a few bucks, with some work

#47 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:24 AM

View PostHuey222, on 06 June 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

All you need to do is put the ball in 18 holes in 72 shots, its that simple! :cheesy:

Any insight on the supersoft vs. q star vs e6 soft? Sounds like theres a lot of fans of the e6 here...

Helped that the course is less than 6000 yards par 70 including a par 5 less than 400 yards. 😃  Put me on a 7000 yard par 72 course and the score will be closer to 90. 😉

#48 NorwichBanana

NorwichBanana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445658
  • Handicap:9.2
  • Ebay ID:1993Robbo
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

I tried the following (I'm UK based, hence alternative names)
AD333 Tour
DX3 Spin
Project A
ChromeSoft
AD333
JPX-S

After a few rounds with all, I eventually went with the AD333 Tour, based on 1 major reason.....It matched my clubs being Srixon.

But the ChromeSoft, Project A, DX3 Spin and Ad333 Tour all went well for me.
I putted, chipped, and played rounds with them all and didn't notice huge differences with them.

When I played off 24-16 I used Ad333 Grade A balls....as a high handicapper I lost more balls than I managed to get roudn 18 so always went for 2nd hand balls, because of the cost!
Dec - Mar >> 21.2
Apr >> 21.2, 20.1, 18.6, 18.0  
May >> 18.0, 16.2, 15.7, 14.2, 14.3  
Jun >> 14.3, 13.1, 12.1, 11.5, 11.6  
Jul >> 11.6,  11.4,  10.8
Aug >> 10.8,  9.2   
Sep  
Oct

Royal Norwich Golf Club. Par 70 (35 & 35).
06/08/2017 - Broke 80 for the 1st time. Shooting 72 (36 & 36). 4 Birdies, 10 Pars, 2 Bogeys and 2 Double Bogeys

Srixon Z765 11.5* - August 2017
Srixon Z565 4-Pw - Jan 2017
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*10, 54*11, 58*06 - May 2017

Odyssey O-Works 1 SS Pistol Putter - July 2017
Srixon AD333 Tour - May 2017

#49 gregkeller

gregkeller

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108089
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

I think this is a really tough question until we know what your game looks like.  I've played with 15 HC's who hit the ball as well as I do but take 40 putts a round, or 15 HC's who can barely get a ball airborne, but can chip and putt like crazy (or it seems like that based on their long game) and then your run of the mill 15 HC that plays a pretty decent game, loses a ball or three a round, misses a couple 3 footers, but doesn't do anything really bad, or really awesome.  

Personally I think a urethane ball is important to everyone.  I can not think of too many times when I've watched someone cleanly hit a chip and had it stop too quickly.  Most of the time it runs out way past the hole.  I think some extra spin on those really short chips is where a mid-capper could save a bunch of shots.  Figure at a 15 HC, you are going to maybe hit 2-3 greens in regulation, and most likely have 9-10 short (<20 yard) chips.  Getting 2-3 more of those up and down to save a stroke is maybe the easiest place to find strokes without actually working on the game.
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M2 w/ HZRDUS BLACK 75
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54,60 Callaway MD3 Chrome
Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth white hot

#50 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

View Postgregkeller, on 14 June 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

I think this is a really tough question until we know what your game looks like.  I've played with 15 HC's who hit the ball as well as I do but take 40 putts a round, or 15 HC's who can barely get a ball airborne, but can chip and putt like crazy (or it seems like that based on their long game) and then your run of the mill 15 HC that plays a pretty decent game, loses a ball or three a round, misses a couple 3 footers, but doesn't do anything really bad, or really awesome.  

Personally I think a urethane ball is important to everyone.  I can not think of too many times when I've watched someone cleanly hit a chip and had it stop too quickly.  Most of the time it runs out way past the hole.  I think some extra spin on those really short chips is where a mid-capper could save a bunch of shots.  Figure at a 15 HC, you are going to maybe hit 2-3 greens in regulation, and most likely have 9-10 short (<20 yard) chips.  Getting 2-3 more of those up and down to save a stroke is maybe the easiest place to find strokes without actually working on the game.

Agreed. But, the problem is most urethane balls can be expensive. Many high cappers lose a lot of balls. It's tough to see a Pro V, TP or Srixon Z star sail into the trees or water at 4 dollars a ball. The mid priced 3 piece non urethane ball is a nice compromise. A better price with some spin.

Edited by Tanner25, 14 June 2017 - 04:56 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 justaman5

justaman5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

use the cheapest ones u can find, it you are going to lose them anyway.   Walk around your course and look in the woods and weeds.   You will be surprised at how much better you can play with a free/found golf balls.   if its free no big deal to lose one. try it you might be suprised
Bridgestone J33 8.5 loft
Bridgetone J33 15 loft
Hogan Redline 1988 model 2-9
Vokey 48, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Napa Valley
Prov1x

#52 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostTanner25, on 14 June 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

View Postgregkeller, on 14 June 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

Agreed. But, the problem is most urethane balls can be expensive. Many high cappers lose a lot of balls. It's tough to see a Pro V, TP or Srixon Z star sail into the trees or water at 4 dollars a ball. The mid priced 3 piece non urethane ball is a nice compromise. A better price with some spin.

I still think 10 to 15 handicap is mid-cap.  You decribed my game fairly well.  At a 10 handicap my tee shots are mostly terrible.  Used to pop it out there 225 carry 250 total but lately lucky to get 220 total in the fairway.  Lots of drives going sideways into water or trees.  Averaging 2 lost balls per round.  If my chipping and putting is off I will be 15 or so over par.  Usually can control a 3 piece non urethane around the green but last time out tried the Softfli (2 piece) Nice ball but on my first chip I hit it solid and didnt check at all, rolling past the hole.  After that I kept coming up short, so never really dialed in the chipping.

#53 lenman73

lenman73

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

As a midcapper myself, I am moving away from the cheap 2 piece balls. My long game ain't so long anymore, but the short game is where I rely heavily. So I am going to use a ball to help with my strengths. I haven't settled on one yet, trying out Snell's MTB right now. All I know is whatever I decide, it will more than likely be an affordable tour-like ball.  I will not be paying full price for prov's.  All the ones I got now are from various sales or I found.

Edited by lenman73, 15 June 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#54 olperfesser

olperfesser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249180
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

Depends on your swing speed. If you are slow like me, I suggest the Callaway Supersoft. Very long and straight 2 piece, and less expensive than most. The 2017's are supposedly better around the greens.

#55 gregkeller

gregkeller

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108089
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Some of the online places like Vice and Snell make those urethane covered balls much less expensive and should bring the "tour" level ball into the bag of many golfers.  I honestly liked the top flite gamer tour for about 25 bucks a dozen.

Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M2 w/ HZRDUS BLACK 75
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54,60 Callaway MD3 Chrome
Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth white hot

#56 RecidivistGOLFER

RecidivistGOLFER

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399646
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

You'll help yourself by doing a ball "fitting."  You can do this yourself.  Since you don't want to be the guy shooting 95's with ProV's & Chrome's, pick 10-12 mid-range balls.  Top FLite gamer, wilsons, bridgestone e6, srixon q star, pinnacle gold, etc. etc.  Take them out to the putting green and see which ones roll & feel best.  Narrow that down to 3 or 4.  Then see how those play with wedges & irons.  When you're left with 2, take them to the range and see which performs best for you with the driver.  That's your ball.  Then go to Lostballs.com or similar and buy a bucket of used ones.  

I chose the e6.  Granted, I like the chromesofts & 330's, better, but my game's not good enough to be out playing (and losing) $4 golf balls.
Ping G25 10.5 Degree Driver
Ping G25 16.5 Degree 4 wood
Ping G25 20 Degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX825 Pro 5-GW
Mizuno MP T5 56.10 / 62.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Tei3

#57 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

I like to tryout different ball designs and see if the real world works as advertised for me. What I've noticed is that the urethane tour ball is very different than any two piece ball out there (duh). But most of the three piece non-urethane offerings really don't do anything different than a two piece for full shots or shots around the green for me. They are more like a vanity cap, they do what the cheap offerings do, but look better and cost more. IMO, if you're not going to play a urethane covered tour ball (and I'm certainly not saying you should) then you may as well play the cheap offering in your favorite brand.

#58 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

View Postjslane57, on 24 June 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

I like to tryout different ball designs and see if the real world works as advertised for me. What I've noticed is that the urethane tour ball is very different than any two piece ball out there (duh). But most of the three piece non-urethane offerings really don't do anything different than a two piece for full shots or shots around the green for me. They are more like a vanity cap, they do what the cheap offerings do, but look better and cost more. IMO, if you're not going to play a urethane covered tour ball (and I'm certainly not saying you should) then you may as well play the cheap offering in your favorite brand.

I think the 3 piece non-urethane feels better than a 2 piece. ie- Duo Spin, Gamer soft

#59 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

View PostTanner25, on 24 June 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

View Postjslane57, on 24 June 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

I think the 3 piece non-urethane feels better than a 2 piece. ie- Duo Spin, Gamer soft
I was thinking I'd feel the same way. I have a dozen Duo Spin, and they seem to perform and feel similar to the two piece Zip (when I picked up the Zip, I was hoping it was the original 3 piece Zip). Some of my friends laugh, but I really do love the super soft plastic feel of the modern Wilson ball. That is one reason I don't just use a ProV1x everyday, as they just feel like rocks with a super tacky cover. BTW, I'm not complaining or anything, just mentioning that the OP may not see any difference in play-ability between a Zip and Duo Spin either, so save some $$$...

#60 baaron008

baaron008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 421434
  • Handicap:high
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

Handicap # /= what kind of ball you need to play. I play the same handicap as my uncle, but use low spin tour balls cause I have around a 108-110 swing speed. My uncle has much lower swing speed so uses a cheaper, softer ball but can output and outchip me like crazy.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors