Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Played my last 5+ hour round today

151 replies to this topic

#61 wkndhack

wkndhack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425792
GolfWRX Likes : 361

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

Subbed for my work league for the first time ever today. 2:45 for 9 holes on a short Par 33 course. They teed off the blues (not that it mattered they were maybe 10 yards back from white on each tee) and one guy in the group ahead didn't hit it past the front tees in the air once. Not sure I will volunteer to sub again.

Cobra King F7+ Oban Isawa Red 66-04
Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
Cobra King F8 4H Aldila Rogue Silver 75S
Cobra Forged Tec 5-GW PX LZ 5.5
Cobra King Pur 54V, 58V
Bettinardi QB8
Srixon Q-Star Tour

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 WBGolf

WBGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373149
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:18 PM

It might not be traditional, but I don't think I need "permission" to play through. If a group is slow enough to diminish my enjoyment and there is open course ahead, I'm getting in front. Thankfully the course I belong to has very considerate golfers of all ages/ genders/ skill levels, so I've yet to encounter a single issue in 3 years

#63 DCSerafin

DCSerafin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140237
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 25 May 2017 - 02:10 AM

I've been playing for over twenty years and slow play is not gender, age or ability specific.  It's simply about being courteous, being aware and knowing how to facilitate a good pace.

i've found slow players aren't taught pace of play etiquette and in many cases don't even know they're slow.

#64 Under2hours

Under2hours

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383344
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 421

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

I joined a club as I can't stand slow play and like to play off hours.  Also there is a strict POP.  

Two disparate situations though.

Monday (Victoria Day in Canada), I was 5th group out.  We were to be a twosome and the other golfer cancelled overnight.  I expected to play multiple balls and expected a 4 hour round.  Hole 2, first foursome let me thorough.  #4 next group followed by on #5, #6 and finally the first group a threesome @ 9.  They asked if I wanted to join them, but I said spouse would be home so thanked them and played as a single.  

Off 18, playing multiple balls the back 9 in 2:20 walking.  

Juxtapose that with Men's League Wednesday and a 4:45 tee time and front 9 in 2:40!!!!  Ughhhh.....

#65 tarheelsfan105

tarheelsfan105

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 298534
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

I agree with the poster that said that "some" don't really even know they are slow. This is one reason, this is such a fascinating topic for me. Everyone believes "they" play at the correct pace. People that try to "push" their way through the course assume everyone else is playing slow. Those groups getting "pushed" feel that they are playing the correct pace and that the "pushers" are playing too fast.

I try to always allow groups to play through, as long as there is room in front. For me, feeling the pressure of someone waiting on me, is stressful and I usually try to either speed up, or let the group play through. It is infuriating however to encounter those that feel entitled to play at their own speed regardless of how it affects the rest of those playing behind them.

I sometimes think about this problem when I encounter those on the highway that drive the speed limit or lower in the "fast or passing" lane. I understand the argument that "if they are driving the speed limit then they are ok to drive in any lane" however if they are clearly backing up traffic, then they should pull to a different lane. But the people that are holding up traffic either don't care that they are doing it (which is infuriating as well) or they think they are going the correct speed or "pace"...or both.

I guess my overall point is that this is a complex issue that (save courses taking a more aggressive approach to pace of play) will be ongoing. There are X million golfers and they all think they play at the "correct pace", even when the 4 to 4.5 hour round is considered an arbitrary number. At least with a speed limit, we are given a number to start with. However, what if your speed on the highway was determined by the number of occupants in the vehicle? This would be a little closer to the pace of play issue and, why I believe it will continue to be an issue and something we will always have to deal with.....unfortunately

Edited by tarheelsfan105, 25 May 2017 - 05:13 PM.

#66 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251340
  • Handicap:BIG
  • Ebay ID:ctmason
GolfWRX Likes : 1146

Posted 25 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

There's certainly plenty of bizarre behavior from people on and off the golf course, but why people get upset with letting people play through or skipping ahead them is beyond me.

#67 ricklinens

ricklinens

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464152
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

View Postwkndhack, on 24 May 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Subbed for my work league for the first time ever today. 2:45 for 9 holes on a short Par 33 course. They teed off the blues (not that it mattered they were maybe 10 yards back from white on each tee) and one guy in the group ahead didn't hit it past the front tees in the air once. Not sure I will volunteer to sub again.

Wow, that's horrible!    I am sure I would not volunteer to sub again.
The less you put in, the more you take out.

#68 santasquatcha

santasquatcha

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418640
  • Handicap:20+
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

Last summer i went to play 18 as a single at a course.  Twlight round teeing off at 4pm or so... thought most of the late morning beer drinkers would be finishes by then.

3.5 hours to get to the turn, brutal.  On hole 14 I called it quits and drove past the groups ahead of me.  It would have been useless to play through because 3 groups were stacked up on each hole.

There were 2 sixsomes playing hammered

The course was severely overbooked,  and i didnt see a ranger all day.  Went up to the clubhouse and asked for a partial refund and was denied.  Never going back.
Mini-Driver, Taylormade Aeroburner,14*, Matrix 60g S
4h - 5h, Adams Tech V4.0, S
6 - PW, Titleist 712CB, modus120S
GW, 49*, Adams Tech V4.0, S
GW, 51*, Cleveland 588
SW, 56-11*, Titleist Vokey SM4
LW, 60-07*, Titleist Vokey SM4
Putter, Odyssey White Hot #6

#69 TheYipS

TheYipS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463236
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

Played with a guy I know a friend of his and a random member in an open the other week the friend and random member were ridiculously slow. Random guy was every shot standing over ball for 20 seconds, waggle 20 times, pause for 10 more seconds over ball, swing... watch imaginary ball fly through air and then repeat for real swing, literally talking a minute and a half to hit every shot after address. Other guy who was a friend of the guy I know had multiple practice swings and paused for eternity after addressing the ball also took around 8 or 9 minutes to look for a lost ball even after I pointed out 5 minutes were up more than once. Said it to the lad I know and he told me the guy had actually gotten a lot quicker (wow) I just made not so subtle hints about 5 hour rounds and needing to speed up. The first guy actually stopped practice swinging on the back 9 and played no worse although he was still slow, but the other fella seemed completely oblivious to it and continued to play shite golf at a snails pace. Really ruined my score as I was hitting the ball really well until it got to me after 6 or 7 holes and I just hit every shot immediately because I wanted to keep the round from being 5 and a half or 6 hours. In club comps if someone like that puts thier name beside me I just change times and hope they get the message as I'm sure I'm not there only one.
On the ranger the point we have a starter that has to basically follow the men's captain around on busy days he's that slow and to his credit he does harass him to speed up but seeing as he has to keep doing it it seems the message is not getting through. 3 and a half hours walking should be the goal for a fourbal 3 hours for a two ball no reason 4 hours should be acceptable and if you take four and a half or more on a busy day holding people up then a weeks suspension.

Edit: all four of us are around 30 genuinely dont think age has anything to do with it.

Edited by TheYipS, 30 May 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#70 DickieThon

DickieThon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193254
  • Ebay ID:Templeowls555
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:33 AM

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 ShankapotamusCT

ShankapotamusCT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184204
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

Played last weekend in a foursome. I myself am no bright talent to the game, but I move when I play and don't feel as though I'm rushing. Two of the group that I've played with before are very slow though. We were holding a group up behind us probably from holes 7-9. therewas a group of 6 drinking buddies ahead of us that we'd catch every other hole or so. But at the turn we waited at the tee box and asked the group behind us to play through. They told us that it was ok as we watched the group ahead getting ready for their second shots and said they were just out to enjoy the day. Didn't seem like anybody was behind them either, so we must have hit a small gap in tee times. Anyway, we insisted again and they told us "no, really. It's not a problem" So we went on, but I tried to be conscious to keep the two in our group moving and not take 5 practice swings each or sit in the cart after the hole to write their scores in. We did alright on the back nine, faster than the front but we were still holding the group behind us up. So as I stood on the 18th green I was trying to think of what else we could have done to let them through or how to get others in the group to speed up and I hear "FORE!!!!!". One of them was hitting into us on the 18th green. I walked off with a slightly used ProV1 and my own ball.

I understand the frustration because I've been in groups that were held up before.. but I've never once every considered hitting into a group ahead to try and prove a point, especially not on 18 and ESPECIALLY not if they offered to let my group play through. Any thoughts? Advice? That's honestly the first time that's happened to me. Every other time I've offered to let somebody play through they always have.

#72 golf2day

golf2day

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169593
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

View PostShankapotamusCT, on 31 May 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Played last weekend in a foursome. I myself am no bright talent to the game, but I move when I play and don't feel as though I'm rushing. Two of the group that I've played with before are very slow though. We were holding a group up behind us probably from holes 7-9. therewas a group of 6 drinking buddies ahead of us that we'd catch every other hole or so. But at the turn we waited at the tee box and asked the group behind us to play through. They told us that it was ok as we watched the group ahead getting ready for their second shots and said they were just out to enjoy the day. Didn't seem like anybody was behind them either, so we must have hit a small gap in tee times. Anyway, we insisted again and they told us "no, really. It's not a problem" So we went on, but I tried to be conscious to keep the two in our group moving and not take 5 practice swings each or sit in the cart after the hole to write their scores in. We did alright on the back nine, faster than the front but we were still holding the group behind us up. So as I stood on the 18th green I was trying to think of what else we could have done to let them through or how to get others in the group to speed up and I hear "FORE!!!!!". One of them was hitting into us on the 18th green. I walked off with a slightly used ProV1 and my own ball.

I understand the frustration because I've been in groups that were held up before.. but I've never once every considered hitting into a group ahead to try and prove a point, especially not on 18 and ESPECIALLY not if they offered to let my group play through. Any thoughts? Advice? That's honestly the first time that's happened to me. Every other time I've offered to let somebody play through they always have.
You handled the first step right by keeping their ball. The next step shoulda been to throw those hands.

#73 Jwin323

Jwin323

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 398184
  • Handicap:3-7
GolfWRX Likes : 857

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

I used to play at a privately owned public access course that would time you. If you didn't make the turn in 2 hours, they would refund half of your green fee and ask you to leave the course. They sold the course to the city and it basically went to hell in all aspects.

#74 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

I only answer to "Ace" now

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
GolfWRX Likes : 1665

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

This thread makes me feel grateful that I found a public course about equidistant from my house and office that will let me go out first in the mornings if I get there early enough.  There's some other dew sweepers like me who play equally fast, so even if I'm not first off, I still get around in about 2 hours for 18 holes.  Without that place, I'd basically be a weekend player.
Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38" or Byron Morgan DH89, 38", Carbon Black Ox, black shaft, Winn counterbalance grip

WITB Link

#75 dadsfromlockhart

dadsfromlockhart

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 282230
  • Ebay ID:northtexan32
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

View PostLoki, on 23 May 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Not playing through situations are SO stupid.

I used to play with a guy originally from Chicago that said you had to be invited to play through.  No, get the F outta the way.

I'm 50.  3-4 years ago playing as a single at muni, I caught a foursome of old guys.  After 2-3 holes, they let me play through, I was walking, they were in carts, so I couldn't just walk up and tell them I was playing through.  Anyway, they finally let me play through.  As I walked with them on the hole, one of the old farts said that a single has no status on the course.  I told him this is the 21st century, things change.  OMG, just let me play through.  I DON'T CARE IF YOU OWN THE COURSE, I PAYED MY FEE, LET ME PLAY.

Ping G GD Tour AD DI-6 SR
TEE Beta 16.5  GD AD
Titleist 915H  21 & 24 GD Tour AD DI-8R
Ping I200
Ping Glide 2 50, 58. or maybe PXG 51 and Vokey 60
2012 Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

#76 dadsfromlockhart

dadsfromlockhart

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

The rule that singles have no standing was deleted in 2004.  The guidance is now that faster groups ( a single is a group is this context) have the right of way.
TEE Beta 16.5  GD AD
Ping I200

#77 dadsfromlockhart

dadsfromlockhart

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

Years ago my threesome was stalled behind a painfully slow 4 some . We walked around them on 14 while they yelled bloody murder.    We finished the  # 15 , a long par 4 and looked back to see the tee box behind us still unoccupied.  I putted out and headed for 16 , the partners to cleaning up short putts.   On the next box I looked back and noticed the pin still horizontal in the fringe
Y'all didn't replace the pin?
No

We played on

TEE Beta 16.5  GD AD
Ping I200

#78 caniac6

caniac6

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2362

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Our threesome walked the front 9 in 2:20 this morning, and quit. When we were on the 9th green there was one group on 10 green, one group teeing off, and one group waiting to tee off. The group that was on 10 green had at least 3 open holes in front of them. Also, the groups were in carts. I'm thinking of buying a kayak.

#79 Greenstealth

Greenstealth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338381
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

Foursome in front of us (twosome). Five holes of dreadfulness with a foursome Who were becoming impatient as well waiting to tee after us in every box. The group in front of us tees off. Farthest drive being 50 yards from the ladies tee. 4 shots into the hole they are on the edge of what I would consider reachable. I tee off. I hit my drive ten yards left of them and five yards past them down the fairway. Not good. We picked our balls up from the fairway and proceeded to the next tee. That group was teeing off on 12 as we were driving down the road. They were playing at a 5.5 6 hour clip.

#80 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13551

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

I don't know, over the past few years I have noticed a bit more awareness of pace. Sometimes when you come into a log jam the group in front picks up the pace which puts some pressure on the group in front, and sometimes you can notice after a lag it does pick up. It's not all gloom and doom.

GOLF WRX has become a contentious, despotic website where trolls abound and free exchange of ideas is suppressed.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 3669

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:54 PM

View Postcaniac6, on 01 June 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Our threesome walked the front 9 in 2:20 this morning, and quit. When we were on the 9th green there was one group on 10 green, one group teeing off, and one group waiting to tee off. The group that was on 10 green had at least 3 open holes in front of them. Also, the groups were in carts. I'm thinking of buying a kayak.

Been there .. Done that.
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"

#82 Under2hours

Under2hours

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

I played our annual weekend tournament on a course with a 115 slope and many par 4's 290-310 (or as GolfWRX calls it (between a 3W or Hybrid).  A sixsome (two teams of 3) playing a scramble.  Saturday tee off at 11:00 am off 18 @ 6:20!!!!  Believe it or not I survived...... Music going and good guys, so it could have been worse.

#83 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13551

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostUnder2hours, on 04 June 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

I played our annual weekend tournament on a course with a 115 slope and many par 4's 290-310 (or as GolfWRX calls it (between a 3W or Hybrid).  A sixsome (two teams of 3) playing a scramble.  Saturday tee off at 11:00 am off 18 @ 6:20!!!!  Believe it or not I survived...... Music going and good guys, so it could have been worse.

Wait, 2 3somes took 6:20? Even for a drunk scramble that is unreal.
GOLF WRX has become a contentious, despotic website where trolls abound and free exchange of ideas is suppressed.

#84 Under2hours

Under2hours

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:26 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 04 June 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

View PostUnder2hours, on 04 June 2017 - 07:22 PM, said:

Wait, 2 3somes took 6:20? Even for a drunk scramble that is unreal.

Nope 7:20!!!!  11:00 am start off the course @ 6:20 pm.  Used to be a huge drinking tournament and now only moderate.  I decided I'd feel better walking and stay more engaged.  Did help some, but boy was it long.....

#85 bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433366
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:06 AM

If the course is literally wide open ahead of a group like that...just roll by, say "excuse me," and skip the hole. I've had to do that a few times.  Do not ask for their permission to pass.  If a group is that inconsiderate, they're not going to be open to letting you pass them.

View Postbreakingbad, on 23 May 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

I was in it last night in a league. 9 holes 3 hours. I left at the turn. Wish I could have seen that coming. Next time i may just forfeit that opponent instead of dealing with the torture. Hard to tell some players how slowly they play . I respect my elders and cant critique them without feeling guilty of insulting them. All I can do is help them find their ball

That is getting to be the norm in my area.  If I can finish 18 inside of 4.5 hours...It's a good round (as bad as a 4.5 hour round sounds).  I've quit about a half dozen rounds after the turn in the past year.  I learned after two six hour rounds to just pack it in if I'm at three hours after nine holes.

#86 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6948

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:35 AM

View Postbubbagumpshrimp, on 05 June 2017 - 06:06 AM, said:

If the course is literally wide open ahead of a group like that...just roll by, say "excuse me," and skip the hole. I've had to do that a few times.  Do not ask for their permission to pass.  If a group is that inconsiderate, they're not going to be open to letting you pass them.

Lately I've been pretty much just skipping slow groups instead of playing through. Interrupts their already-slow round less and doesn't require me to hurry to get through and let them resume.

My first choice is always just to cool it and stay behind a group that's somewhat slower than I'd prefer to play. Often it's the least aggravation just to be patient, stick around each green and hit a few extra putts or whatnot. But if they're slow enough that's just not an option (basically if they're taking 15 minutes per hole or more) I skip the hole they're playing and move on.

The last time I played through a group, a few months ago, they very politely waved me through while one of their guys was searching for his ball in the woods. The problem was, the other three guys were standing just off the fairway on each side with like a 30-yard corridor between them where they expected me to hit. They seemed to be looking my way so I figured it was safe enough.

Fortunately for me and them I boomed a driver (by my standards) really high but straight over the head of the guy standing on the inside of the dogleg. It went about 60 feet over his head and landing 50 yards past him in the fairway. When I walked by he gave me a "golf clap" and said great shot but I was thinking, "Man, I'm never doing that again". He doesn't know that for every driver like that I hit, there are two or three low line drives.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#87 bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433366
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 June 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

If the course is literally wide open ahead of a group like that...just roll by, say "excuse me," and skip the hole. I've had to do that a few times. Do not ask for their permission to pass. If a group is that inconsiderate, they're not going to be open to letting you pass them.
Lately I've been pretty much just skipping slow groups instead of playing through. Interrupts their already-slow round less and doesn't require me to hurry to get through and let them resume. My first choice is always just to cool it and stay behind a group that's somewhat slower than I'd prefer to play. Often it's the least aggravation just to be patient, stick around each green and hit a few extra putts or whatnot. But if they're slow enough that's just not an option (basically if they're taking 15 minutes per hole or more) I skip the hole they're playing and move on. The last time I played through a group, a few months ago, they very politely waved me through while one of their guys was searching for his ball in the woods. The problem was, the other three guys were standing just off the fairway on each side with like a 30-yard corridor between them where they expected me to hit. They seemed to be looking my way so I figured it was safe enough. Fortunately for me and them I boomed a driver (by my standards) really high but straight over the head of the guy standing on the inside of the dogleg. It went about 60 feet over his head and landing 50 yards past him in the fairway. When I walked by he gave me a "golf clap" and said great shot but I was thinking, "Man, I'm never doing that again". He doesn't know that for every driver like that I hit, there are two or three low line drives.

Exactly. I prefer to do that if a group is playing at a reasonable pace, even if it's slower than I might like to play.  I like to play as a single on occasion, but I recognize that it's frustrating for a group when a single flies up like they own the place.

However, there has to be some balance.  On the one hand...You can't have a single show up at 0800 on a Saturday morning and insist to play through every group he catches up to, so he can have a x < 3 hour round.  On the flip side...you can't have groups with one or more people taking 5+ minutes to look for their ball (and other balls) on pretty much every hole.

#88 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

I only answer to "Ace" now

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
GolfWRX Likes : 1665

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

Pace of play in tournaments is becoming a big problem, in my opinion.  I played in one yesterday at the course that I can usually play in 2 hours in the morning, and it took 5.5 hours.  That's just ludicrous.
Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38" or Byron Morgan DH89, 38", Carbon Black Ox, black shaft, Winn counterbalance grip

WITB Link

#89 Under2hours

Under2hours

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

View Postbubbagumpshrimp, on 05 June 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 June 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

If the course is literally wide open ahead of a group like that...just roll by, say "excuse me," and skip the hole. I've had to do that a few times. Do not ask for their permission to pass. If a group is that inconsiderate, they're not going to be open to letting you pass them.
Lately I've been pretty much just skipping slow groups instead of playing through. Interrupts their already-slow round less and doesn't require me to hurry to get through and let them resume. My first choice is always just to cool it and stay behind a group that's somewhat slower than I'd prefer to play. Often it's the least aggravation just to be patient, stick around each green and hit a few extra putts or whatnot. But if they're slow enough that's just not an option (basically if they're taking 15 minutes per hole or more) I skip the hole they're playing and move on. The last time I played through a group, a few months ago, they very politely waved me through while one of their guys was searching for his ball in the woods. The problem was, the other three guys were standing just off the fairway on each side with like a 30-yard corridor between them where they expected me to hit. They seemed to be looking my way so I figured it was safe enough. Fortunately for me and them I boomed a driver (by my standards) really high but straight over the head of the guy standing on the inside of the dogleg. It went about 60 feet over his head and landing 50 yards past him in the fairway. When I walked by he gave me a "golf clap" and said great shot but I was thinking, "Man, I'm never doing that again". He doesn't know that for every driver like that I hit, there are two or three low line drives.

Exactly. I prefer to do that if a group is playing at a reasonable pace, even if it's slower than I might like to play.  I like to play as a single on occasion, but I recognize that it's frustrating for a group when a single flies up like they own the place.

However, there has to be some balance.  On the one hand...You can't have a single show up at 0800 on a Saturday morning and insist to play through every group he catches up to, so he can have a x < 3 hour round.  On the flip side...you can't have groups with one or more people taking 5+ minutes to look for their ball (and other balls) on pretty much every hole.

As a person who likes to play alone late in the day, no one seems to have a problem.  I delay groups no more then 2 minutes max (and that's a stretch), when waved through as I run in those cases.  

What really get's me is the group that teed off at 5:00 (using 9:10 as sunset and 4:10 as POP) who are playing 16-18 as the sun is setting and the course wide open and 4 groups bunched up behind trying too to finish.  

Most have been very good on the course letting singles through when it makes sense and there are gaps.

#90 Benzo

Benzo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98769
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 436

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

join a private club. I tee'd off yesterday at 5:50 with a 4some and finished at 8pm.

Titleist 915 D2 10.5* GD TP 6X
Tour Edge Exotics Hilo 16.5* GD BB 8X
Titleist 915 7w 21* GD BB 8X

Srixon U25* GD AD DI 85x
Srixon 745 5-pw KBS Tour 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*, 54*

Mac Daddy PM grind 60*
Plumber O works #7
B330rx

If you're playing Pine Valley and need a 4th, PM me ;)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors