Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Played my last 5+ hour round today

151 replies to this topic

#31 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

View Postrainkingjr, on 23 May 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

@Ijrad1995
I wish courses would hire Police to work secondary employment. Not to Marshall, but rather to be on hand when the Marshall's get a hard time for doing their jobs. I have nothing against beginners or high cappers etc.., but slow play to the point of causing a huge log jam is just unacceptable. Slow play is bad for business in an industry that is already sufferings. It's a sad state of affairs when I even have to suggest having Law Enforcement on a golf course.

I feel like courses really need to spell it out to people with a clearly written and posted pace of play policy. Slow play is an issue that needs to be confronted. You may lose some customers, but you'll gain more in the long run when people can count on playing 18 in a reasonable time at your course. We all play badly at times, but that's no excuse to play slowly. Hit it and get it.

I had a bad experience yesterday at one of my favorite local course, Walked on at 1:30pm. Was told it was wide open (rained in the AM and still cloudy). Got through the first 9 in an hour and fifteen minutes. Get to the 10th tee to see 4 groups of middle school aged boys jamming up the course. Parents and apparently coaches were present and walking along. Low and behold, I had run into a school Championship. No mention of it at all from the pro shop. I was pretty pissed off as they weren't the least bit interested in letting me play through. I had to play the front 9 again. The shop should have said something from the get go. I would have started on 10 myself and gotten to play the full 18. Complete BS in my opinion. If courses have those types of things scheduled it should be announced.

IMO, it's because they just don't care.  Though this is a broad generalization, it seems the majority of public golf courses offer the worst customer service in that regard - "come out out, it's open", not having marshalls, having marshalls that don't do anything but ride around looking for balls or chatting it up with regulars, the starter not explaining how riding in a cart should work and the marshall reminding them, not letting players know the fairways/greens have been aerated and charging full price, etc.

Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR 14.5*
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Bush Pilot

Bush Pilot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420606
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:23 PM

I've played through as a single lots of times this year. When I'm with a buddy and we're held up it seems people are less likely to let a twosome ahead for some reason. Part of it is timing maybe - it just always seems that no matter how much we wait on a slow group in front of us, or how quickly we run around chipping and putting to finish the hole... that damn slow group ahead has already left the tee box on the hole before we get up there. Frustrating.

As for the old retired dudes, me and my buddy were out last week as a walking twosome and were behind 4 old buggers, 2 walking and 2 in a cart. We play pretty damn quickly and we had one hell of a time keeping up to these guys. Zero wasted movements or time. Wish everyone was like that.

#33 isaacbm

isaacbm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76094
  • Handicap:+1.3
GolfWRX Likes : 2830

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:31 PM

I play an average of 125 rounds per year at at least 50 different courses. Run into slow play "problems" about 2 or 3 times per year.

Don't understand these threads...

#34 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

My club has a decent amount of old ladies as members. They will not let anyone play through. I've gotten stuck as a single several times behind a foursome pushing carts, and they barely look back, and they don't even act like they are letting anyone through. It is so frustrating. I tried to skip ahead once (because there was a sea of open holes in front of them), and this one old bitty called me back and told me that they had not asked me to play through. I gave her a piece of my mind, drove off as if I were quitting and played two holes ahead. Didn't run into anyone after that, but I couldn't believe their attitude.

Now, all of that said, we have one member that I've posted about on here before. He infuriates me. He will skip ahead of you while you are in the fairway or even on the green,and tee off at the next box right in front of you. He never asks. I really do not like this guy.

So I can see why people skipping ahead is bothersome...but if you are a foursome and a single is behind you, please have some common decency and let the single through!!!
Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

#35 Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125845
GolfWRX Likes : 1287

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:39 AM

I'm grateful that summer is here and most all of the snowbirds have left back to their summer homes. Dealing with 5 1/2 hour rounds during peak season, when daylight is already a rare commodity, when you are paying premium price, is just unacceptable. The post above me nailed it too with the women's groups. We have a rotating band of women that play the city courses and if I see them in the parking lot, I just turn around and go elsewhere. I'm all for everyone playing golf, but taking up all the prime spots, being slow as hell and having zero decorum when it comes to letting people play through should get you a life time ban from golf.

Driver - 2016 M2 HL w/ Kuro Kage TINI proto X Stiff
3 Wood - 2016 M2 HL w/ Diamana Blueboard Stiff Flex
Hybrid - TaylorMade AeroBurner TP 19* w Ozik X Flex
Irons - 3-PW Titleist 714 AP2 w/ Tour Issue S400 AMT
Wedges - Titleist SM6 52F and 58L
Putter - TaylorMade Ghost Spider

#36 slice n dice

slice n dice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338919
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

what about those singles and twosomes that seem entitled to play through because they're pushing you, when you're pushing the group in front of you, and they're pushing the group in front of them, etc.   I have no problem letting somebody play though, but when there's nowhere to go, there's nowhere to go.  Had a twosome just do that the other day.  Skip a hole to get in front of us only to be waiting behind the group that was in front of us on the next tee box.

#37 wkndhack

wkndhack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425792
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:07 AM

View Postslice n dice, on 24 May 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

what about those singles and twosomes that seem entitled to play through because they're pushing you, when you're pushing the group in front of you, and they're pushing the group in front of them, etc.   I have no problem letting somebody play though, but when there's nowhere to go, there's nowhere to go.  Had a twosome just do that the other day.  Skip a hole to get in front of us only to be waiting behind the group that was in front of us on the next tee box.
This is a fair point. I play as a single a lot and if I catch up to a group I always ask if there is room ahead of them before playing through.
Cobra King F7+ Oban Isawa Red 66-04
Cobra King F7 3W Oban Isawa Red 75-04
Cobra King F6 Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85S
Cobra Forged Tec 4-GW DG S300AMT
Cobra King 54V, 58V
Bettinardi QB6
Srixon Q-Star Tour

#38 scooterboy59

scooterboy59

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116797
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:29 AM

A course I worked at would on the weekends and busy weekdays keep one of the pros on the course to ranger. If it was a packed Saturday and a group was slow we would fore caddie for them. We would rake bunkers, tend flags, get yardages. It was easier to do this than ask them to let people through and really slow things down. Most all groups got the drift and picked up there pace of play.
I play a lot of golf by myself and if it's busy I don't expect to be let through. I will skip around if it is a weekday with group spread around.

#39 GGRobin

GGRobin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374077
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

View Posttatertot, on 23 May 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 23 May 2017 - 08:13 PM, said:

Not to say we play fast but we've played through groups on the range.

We lost a ball once and took the 5 minute max searching for it ... ended up playing through ourselves on the back nine. We're that fast.

We played through Jimmy Johns one time.

We play early and we're so fast that we once played through the last group from yesterday.

#40 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3778

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

View Postaugustgolf, on 23 May 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

Last round that I played with the old farts (before I became one) it took 3 1/2 hours to play the front 9.

When I went into the Pro Shop at the turn to ask about whether or not anyone was going to try to get the pace of play picked up, I was told: "That is the pace of play. Deal with it."

Obviously, I didn't deal with it too well, as I never played with the old farts again, and haven't played that course again since...about 8 years now.

You need to make them aware "I will deal with it, I'm not playing here again".

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,306 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

View PostLeftDaddy, on 23 May 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

So I can see why people skipping ahead is bothersome...but if you are a foursome and a single is behind you, please have some common decency and let the single through!!!

As someone who plays as a single and in 4-somes, it totally depends on the circumstances.  If it's a busy and people are in front of us, I'm not waving anybody through if there's nowhere to do.  

I've also been in groups where the course isn't totally packed, but you have single after single ride up on you, and you're keeping proper pace for a 4-some.

#42 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,306 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

View Postrainkingjr, on 23 May 2017 - 08:55 PM, said:

I had a bad experience yesterday at one of my favorite local course, Walked on at 1:30pm. Was told it was wide open (rained in the AM and still cloudy). Got through the first 9 in an hour and fifteen minutes. Get to the 10th tee to see 4 groups of middle school aged boys jamming up the course. Parents and apparently coaches were present and walking along. Low and behold, I had run into a school Championship. No mention of it at all from the pro shop. I was pretty pissed off as they weren't the least bit interested in letting me play through.

I think you're a bit unreasonable in this regard.  The front sounds like it WAS wide open, and they're not expecting players to finish in 1:15.   And to think you should be waved through a school championship is pretty crazy.

#43 arkurczi

arkurczi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401082
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:23 AM

I feel for the OP. Slow rounds suck. I played last week when the course was wide open as a single and played 18 in under two hours. Those slow rounds kill me, can't stand em.

#44 TollBros

TollBros

Overseer of the Test Range

• Sponsors
  • 3,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
GolfWRX Likes : 2334

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostGolfNuts4, on 23 May 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Funny, the "old farts" at my club are some of the fastest players. We have a foursome of guys in their late 70's/early 80's that are always in under 3 hours. I've played with them a few times, its a pretty quick pace.

What I don't understand is who set the arbitrary 4 hour round? A foursome should easily be able to play in 3.5 hours. Why doesn't that arbitrary number be set at 3.5 hours?

I absolutely agree with you. Most of my weekly rounds are an afternoon 18 with a co-worker because my boss likes us to keep our games and minds sharp with hitting so much on the range. As a twosome we will finish in 2:30 hours easily even taking our time. We end up having to breeze past the random foursome here and there and go back and finish the hole or holes at the end. I don't have the time or patience for sitting behind laboring foursomes all afternoon, and yes during the week, 99% of the time it's seniors who don't even think about the courtesy of letting you through.

Edited by TollBros, 24 May 2017 - 09:53 AM.

http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

#45 cwglum

cwglum

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22234
GolfWRX Likes : 656

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

"The guy at the desk even told me it was wide open come on through"

I've learned to be leery of the guy at desk.  They're job is to get money in the register.

Have the greens been aerated?  Oh sure, 3 weeks ago, but they're grown in & rolling great.
Every green looks like a Plinko competition on Price is Right with fresh plugs sitting in the fringe.

Do you have folks finish 9 holes behind league play?  Absolutely, shouldn't be a problem at all tonight, fairly open out there.
You proceed to Play 2-holes and run into 4 carts waiting on the 3rd tee

#46 nix

nix

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Handicap:20.4
GolfWRX Likes : 712

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostSean2, on 23 May 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

View Postllewol007, on 23 May 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

All this can be fixed if the course actually enforced a slow play policy. It should be established at check in and enforced by Marshals so that there is no confusion.

It's very rare for a marshal to enforce slow play. In my experience they drive around and avoid eye contact with anyone.

Played somewhere once where the marshall made a group skip 2 holes because they were going so slow.

#47 newoodky

newoodky

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468692
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

My dad got me introduced to golf when I was very young.  As soon as I was old enough to go out there by myself he said "Its ok if you play bad, but there is no excuse for slow play."  I've remembered that for like 15 years now.  If i am golfing with a buddy who is brand new to the game I usually tell them the same thing as a little etiquette rule when they go out to play by themselves.

#48 darredondo09

darredondo09

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 421672
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

My all time favorite is when I book the first tee time, play through the front in under 2 hours and then catch league play on the back at 9:30 on a Sunday

#49 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 1350

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

This past weekend, I teed up right on time, 12:00 exactly. Finish the hole in the normal 10-12 minutes... Get to 2nd tee box not only to see the group in front of us still waiting in their carts, but the group in front of them was JUST teeing off.

Proceeded to wait in line for 20 minutes, took my first shot on the second tee at 12:34. Went and got my ball and proceeded to head right back to the club house and demanded a refund. No ranger, no starter, just people jerking around and doing whatever they wanted, and it domino'ed all the way down the line.

My buddy who came with stayed and said it cleared up around the 7th hole, but I was about to sit around for a 5+ hour round. On a normal day you're talking 4 to 4.5 hours, and that's with only a few minute, if any, waiting.

Edited by Z1ggy16, 24 May 2017 - 11:37 AM.

WITB
DR - '16 M2 Speeder Evo II 661
3W - F8 2KXV Blue 70
3i - U65 VS Proto RIP'd
Irons - P790 4i Modus 105, 5-PW Modus 120
Wedges - Trusty Tour 50/8 54/10 60/6 Modus Wedge 115
P - Odyssey #7
Ball - ProV1 or Project (a)

#50 RickKimbrell

RickKimbrell

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85054
GolfWRX Likes : 385

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostSydShanshala, on 23 May 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Tried again today to jump on the course and play a quick round before I go in. The guy at the desk even told me it was wide open come on through. Sat behind an older group for 5 and a half hours (along with everyone behind me) while they searched for balls and refused to let guys play through. I'm so sick of these entitled guys who I guess have nothing better to do than hide from their wives at the course all day acting like pace cars. I know there's been a million slow play threads but I just had to rant. I think I'm done with trying to get out there this season I just don't have the time

I highlighted your words "older group."  I love it when people associate slow play with guys being older.  Have you never played behind a bunch of millennials who are taking what seems like all day to play?  Well, I have.  
If you had somewhere to be, as others stated...skip a hole and go on.  Instead, you stayed behind them and fumed.  Life is way too short to rant about slow play.  You may not like what I say but I am almost 71 years old and could give a crap less if you don't like it.  I can play 18 holes in a little under 2-1/2 hours if not held up.  If I am...so be it.  I am still outside playing golf and having a good time. I play with a regular group of older guys (we do not feel entitled...we feel fortunate because we can still play golf) and as a 4some we generally play in 3-1/2 hours if people are moving ahead of us.  
I supposed you would prefer if older people were not allowed on the course.

Edited by RickKimbrell, 24 May 2017 - 12:02 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 21,909 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22170

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

View Postarkurczi, on 24 May 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

I feel for the OP. Slow rounds suck. I played last week when the course was wide open as a single and played 18 in under two hours. Those slow rounds kill me, can't stand em.

This is where the term Swing Weight came into being.

#52 TheKrushh

TheKrushh

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266524
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

View Postlarrybud, on 24 May 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

View PostLeftDaddy, on 23 May 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

As someone who plays as a single and in 4-somes, it totally depends on the circumstances.  If it's a busy and people are in front of us, I'm not waving anybody through if there's nowhere to do.  

I've also been in groups where the course isn't totally packed, but you have single after single ride up on you, and you're keeping proper pace for a 4-some.

Here's your problem. Nobody agrees on what this number is. A lot of groups who people are complaining about think they're keeping proper pace.
Ping G400Max 10.5 ADGP 7X
Taylormade 17 M2 Tour 16.5 ADGP 8TX
Titleist TMB 3 KBS CTaper parallel custom
Titleist 716 CB 4-7 CTaper parallel custom
Titleist 716 MB 8-PW KBS CTaper parallel custom
Vokey SM6 Raw 50, 55, 61 KBS CTaper parallel custom
SC M2 34 inch

#53 Lenny7

Lenny7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457902
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostMiniJ83, on 23 May 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

If the course is open in front...skip the hole. You can always come back and play it later. But if a slow foursome "refuses" to let my twosome through...just give them a wave and move to the next tee. Always works for me.

^This, but don't come back and play it just give yourself an eagle.  You deserve it.

#54 Yanki01

Yanki01

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2134

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

yeah screw that - I would have just walked onto the next hole. i'll agree with another poster, the marshals down here either do it for free golf or the opportunity to look for lost golf balls. one down here is worthless and likes to pick on people.
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S Nippon WV115
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34/350G

WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

#55 shortstop20

shortstop20

Hit 'em straight!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76885
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

View PostDarth Putter, on 23 May 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

I once played through a foursome on the 17th tee. They told me I was the tenth group they let play through that day and apologized for their slowness as they weren't very good. I told them as long as you get the etiquette right, you're welcome to play here anytime.

The foursome in the original post should be banned from golf for life.

Well said!

#56 TerrapinGolfer

TerrapinGolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223697
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostLoki, on 23 May 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Not playing through situations are SO stupid.

I used to play with a guy originally from Chicago that said you had to be invited to play through.  No, get the F outta the way.

I'm 50.  3-4 years ago playing as a single at muni, I caught a foursome of old guys.  After 2-3 holes, they let me play through, I was walking, they were in carts, so I couldn't just walk up and tell them I was playing through.  Anyway, they finally let me play through.  As I walked with them on the hole, one of the old farts said that a single has no status on the course.  I told him this is the 21st century, things change.  OMG, just let me play through.  I DON'T CARE IF YOU OWN THE COURSE, I PAYED MY FEE, LET ME PLAY.

I guarantee he was from the Chicago suburbs.

#57 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2157

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

View PostLoki, on 23 May 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Not playing through situations are SO stupid.

I used to play with a guy originally from Chicago that said you had to be invited to play through.  No, get the F outta the way.

I'm 50.  3-4 years ago playing as a single at muni, I caught a foursome of old guys.  After 2-3 holes, they let me play through, I was walking, they were in carts, so I couldn't just walk up and tell them I was playing through.  Anyway, they finally let me play through.  As I walked with them on the hole, one of the old farts said that a single has no status on the course.  I told him this is the 21st century, things change.  OMG, just let me play through.  I DON'T CARE IF YOU OWN THE COURSE, I PAYED MY FEE, LET ME PLAY.

The rule about singles having no standing was changed in 2004.
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#58 mr_oldredtop

mr_oldredtop

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359601
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

View PostSean2, on 23 May 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

View Postc. howard, on 23 May 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

If the course is open in front...skip the hole. You can always come back and play it later. But if a slow foursome "refuses" to let my twosome through...just give them a wave and move to the next tee. Always works for me.

Did that once in NJ. Playing as a single, stuck behind a foursome in the rain after playing 11 holes before catching them. Waved to them as I passed and got an ear full of cursing for going in front of them. Just seems polite to let a single or twosome play through if you are taking your time.

Yes, I don't quite understand that. It only takes a few minutes to allow someone to play through, and to back up an entire course is the height of arrogance.

Earlier this week I was playing in a threesome. We let three singles play through. Kind of a no brainer.

ps: if it's a par 3, and I wave someone up, I always stand next to the pin as that is probably the safest place to be. :-)

On the courses I grew up on, it was almost always a local course rule that once you got to the green on a par 3 you waved the next group on the tee to hit.  We always stood near the pin too... never got hit...  :)
Taylormade Burner TP Driver
Bombtech 15* 3 Wood
Wishon 775hs 3 Hybrid
Wishon 771Csi 5-GW Irons
Mizuno MP-T5 54* and 58* Black Nickel Wedges
Acushnet Bullseye putter

#59 jimb6golf

jimb6golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135116
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

I feel your pain.  A 5+ hour round is torture. Played recently behind a single woman (on a Saturday too) and 2 older mens foursomes and although there was no one behind me (I also was a single) for at least 5 holes, by the 12th hole the entire course was backed up solid.  And no one would let me play through.  I got to the point of hitting into the green the second they stepped off the putting surface and still no one let me play through.  I even went to far as talking to the ranger who did nothing.  Pretty tough round (although I some how show a good low round) and what makes it the worst is you end up getting stiff while waiting to take a shot.  Funny thing is that the same woman (who wouldn't hit until the group was 300 yards in front of her) got in front of us the next weekend.  I guess getting the greens fees is more important than keeping the golfers happy.  And they wonder why people aren't playing as much.  Speed up the game and more people will play golf.

#60 BillyZ2

BillyZ2

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286208
  • Handicap:15.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1831

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

View PostSean2, on 23 May 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

View Postc. howard, on 23 May 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Did that once in NJ. Playing as a single, stuck behind a foursome in the rain after playing 11 holes before catching them. Waved to them as I passed and got an ear full of cursing for going in front of them. Just seems polite to let a single or twosome play through if you are taking your time.

Yes, I don't quite understand that. It only takes a few minutes to allow someone to play through, and to back up an entire course is the height of arrogance.
Absolutely, it's no wonder that golf might be declining these days. Imagine a 5 hour round with an hour on each side for travel warm up and whatever. That's 7 hours away from home. If they won't let me play through, and it is open in front of them I'm moving past them to the next hole no matter what they say.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors