Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Dropping a few strokes

Junior practice Practice Golf Advice Practice routines Breaking 80 Consistency Drills

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _Txri21

_Txri21

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450662
  • Joined: 01/04/2017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:51 AM

I typically shoot Mid 70's on a good day, high 70's on a decent day, low 80's on a bad day. I would like to shed a few strokes from my game to the point where I am shooting mid 70's on a decent day. I currently practice everyday, 2-4 hours on school days, 3-5 hours on weekends (not including tournaments). I understand the importance of up/downs, no double bogeys, etc. I plan to practice 5-7 hours during the summer. Do you think I need to practice more than this? Any advice on how to drop a few strokes? Any practice routine ideas?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 leezer99

leezer99

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:28 AM

View Post_Txri21, on 23 May 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

I typically shoot Mid 70's on a good day, high 70's on a decent day, low 80's on a bad day. I would like to shed a few strokes from my game to the point where I am shooting mid 70's on a decent day. I currently practice everyday, 2-4 hours on school days, 3-5 hours on weekends (not including tournaments). I understand the importance of up/downs, no double bogeys, etc. I plan to practice 5-7 hours during the summer. Do you think I need to practice more than this? Any advice on how to drop a few strokes? Any practice routine ideas?

https://thestevesgol..._80_planner.pdf

2

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 642

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

View Post_Txri21, on 23 May 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

I typically shoot Mid 70's on a good day, high 70's on a decent day, low 80's on a bad day. I would like to shed a few strokes from my game to the point where I am shooting mid 70's on a decent day. I currently practice everyday, 2-4 hours on school days, 3-5 hours on weekends (not including tournaments). I understand the importance of up/downs, no double bogeys, etc. I plan to practice 5-7 hours during the summer. Do you think I need to practice more than this? Any advice on how to drop a few strokes? Any practice routine ideas?

100 yards and in my friend.  Wedges, Wedges, and more Wedges.  When you are done with that.  Wedges, Wedges, and more Wedges.
Course management.  Understanding where the miss is.  Never chip twice.  First chip on the green even if it is 20 feet from the hole.  Never hit from a bunker twice.  First bunker shot must be on the green even if 20 feet from the cup.
Removing penalty strokes.
Limit 3 putts.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 23 May 2017 - 01:18 PM.


3

#4 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
  • Joined: 05/09/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

If you can afford it get Game Golf and see what your true stats are.  My son has been using it for a few months now and it has been very helpful.  I thought putting was an issue.  Turns out it is the strength of his game. He needs a lot of work on his approach shots and chipping.

Also, I agree with the others that short game is very important but how good are you off the tee? It is hard to shoot low with a 5 iron in your hands all day or hacking it out of the woods.

It sounds like you are working hard. Keep it up and stay positive!!

4

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 642

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 23 May 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

If you can afford it get Game Golf and see what your true stats are.  My son has been using it for a few months now and it has been very helpful.  I thought putting was an issue.  Turns out it is the strength of his game. He needs a lot of work on his approach shots and chipping.

Also, I agree with the others that short game is very important but how good are you off the tee? It is hard to shoot low with a 5 iron in your hands all day or hacking it out of the woods.

It sounds like you are working hard. Keep it up and stay positive!!

Game Golf is awesome.  Only stat it doesn't give is the one when your kid decides to be an a****** on the course.


5

#6 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

The big question is what is costing you strokes. Once you get below 80 it really a matter of finding what needs work.

For some that means putting, others that may mean working on chipping. it could also mean you not long enough on your drives.

If your hitting greens in regulation then you need to work on putting. If you great on some courses but others are bad you have either a course management problem or can not make certain shots.

From what I have seen the difference between players that are scratch and the rest of us is they know exactly why they didn't make par on a game.

6

#7 _Txri21

_Txri21

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450662
  • Joined: 01/04/2017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the input! I do admit, I am not the longest off the tee (I am female, I play from white tees) and find that on the longer holes, (i.e. par 4's exceeding 400 yards) I am pulling out a long club for approach shots, which is not ideal. Although I do not hit long, I am not the shortest hitter either. I can drive it about 210-220 yards. I live in a area with very low altitude. (Why I love going to different states with a higher altitude for tournaments- power boost) Distance does seem to be one of the problems for me. I do work out in order to build muscle, etc.

7

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 642

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

View Post_Txri21, on 23 May 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Thanks for the input! I do admit, I am not the longest off the tee (I am female, I play from white tees) and find that on the longer holes, (i.e. par 4's exceeding 400 yards) I am pulling out a long club for approach shots, which is not ideal. Although I do not hit long, I am not the shortest hitter either. I can drive it about 210-220 yards. I live in a area with very low altitude. (Why I love going to different states with a higher altitude for tournaments- power boost) Distance does seem to be one of the problems for me. I do work out in order to build muscle, etc.

What junior tournament have you ever played in that has had a 200 yard par 4?  My daughter has played in the USGA Junior Girl's and there were no Par 4's over 400 yards.  She plays in US Open Qualifying and there is only one over 400 yards and it is a dogleg that can be cut off.

210-220 off the tee is not short for a female golfer.

8

#9 _Txri21

_Txri21

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450662
  • Joined: 01/04/2017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

There are girls in my division that can easily hit it 230-240. We often have at least a couple par 4's that are at least 400 yards, or in other cases 380 uphill. We do tend to play longer courses though. For example, we played on this course where there was a hazard in front of the tee box, the carry was 200 yards. It was a par 5, but I did not make it over the hazard :(

9

#10 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

The yardage sounds like it is far for a par 4 from the women's. If your playing from the seniors or men's tees and playing par 4 at  400 yards and only hitting 210 it is going to be a struggle to break 80.  

200 yard forced  carry distance is not realistic for women to play from a tee box. I would even say most men will not make that tee.  I seen this in bad designed courses that built around a housing tract and avoid them.

On average LPGA women drive only 240-250 yards.  Unless you in the top 100 of female juniors that is expecting too much.

If your trying to play at the pro level your going to struggle unless you get your distance up period. Having said that most junior tournaments you should be fine.

Edited by tiger1873, 23 May 2017 - 09:00 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 _Txri21

_Txri21

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450662
  • Joined: 01/04/2017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

I play white tees for my league, as do the boys of the same age. I happen to be playing a 417 yard par 4 right now :(. As for driver, our fairways here tend to roll a bit. I don't carry that far, but I do hit a draw.

11

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 642

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 23 May 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

The yardage sounds like it is far for a par 4 from the women's. If your playing from the seniors or men's tees and playing par 4 at  400 yards and only hitting 210 it is going to be a struggle to break 80.  

200 yard forced  carry distance is not realistic for women to play from a tee box. I would even say most men will not make that tee.  I seen this in bad designed courses that built around a housing tract and avoid them.

On average LPGA women drive only 240-250 yards.  Unless you in the top 100 of female juniors that is expecting too much.

If your trying to play at the pro level your going to struggle unless you get your distance up period. Having said that most junior tournaments you should be fine.

If it is a Par 5 then it isn't a 200 yard forced carry.  That is called poor course management.  Nothing wrong with going less than driver and laying up.

12

#13 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 24 May 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:




If it is a Par 5 then it isn't a 200 yard forced carry.  That is called poor course management.  Nothing wrong with going less than driver and laying up.

I agree you do not always need a driver and should layup for certain courses.  I have seen though courses where there is way too much forced carry. Usually those courses where an afterthought in a housing development.  One course locally here was built in a drainage ditch around houses and might be only 15-20 yards wide on the fairways.

13

#14 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

View Post_Txri21, on 23 May 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

I play white tees for my league, as do the boys of the same age. I happen to be playing a 417 yard par 4 right now :(. As for driver, our fairways here tend to roll a bit. I don't carry that far, but I do hit a draw.

What is your age? Generally speaking boys should not be playing from the same tee's as girls unless there 12. Women tees are generally the red tee's and almost hardly any tournaments play from further tee's. I heard of girls playing from the senior tee's but almost never the men's tee's unless there in the LPGA.

I am not sure about college golf distances but If I had to guess the driving distance the average is probably around 200-230 yard range.

If you playing from the men's tee's then the problem is your league not your driving distance.  Some tournaments are not as well run as others.

14

#15 longballjs

longballjs

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54616
  • Joined: 04/28/2008
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

How much do you play per week?

When I was young I'd spend hours chipping, putting, pitching, and at the range. Despite that, the most valuable practice I got was on the course. I'd like to go out and play at 5 or so. Usually had the course to myself. Play a few shots from here, few from there, etc. There is something different, at least to me in trying to hit real shots to a real target with real issues and real balls instead of some AstroTurf green covering concrete and an orange neon flag with range balls.

Titleist ProV1 Experience 7/12/17-7/13/17


Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5 Fujikura Pro Green 62 xstiff

Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
Titleist 909h 19*  with voodoo stiff
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
Evnroll ER 5


15

#16 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 642

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 May 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

View Post_Txri21, on 23 May 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

I play white tees for my league, as do the boys of the same age. I happen to be playing a 417 yard par 4 right now :(. As for driver, our fairways here tend to roll a bit. I don't carry that far, but I do hit a draw.

What is your age? Generally speaking boys should not be playing from the same tee's as girls unless there 12. Women tees are generally the red tee's and almost hardly any tournaments play from further tee's. I heard of girls playing from the senior tee's but almost never the men's tee's unless there in the LPGA.

I am not sure about college golf distances but If I had to guess the driving distance the average is probably around 200-230 yard range.

If you playing from the men's tee's then the problem is your league not your driving distance.  Some tournaments are not as well run as others.

View Posttiger1873, on 24 May 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

View Post_Txri21, on 23 May 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

I play white tees for my league, as do the boys of the same age. I happen to be playing a 417 yard par 4 right now :(. As for driver, our fairways here tend to roll a bit. I don't carry that far, but I do hit a draw.

What is your age? Generally speaking boys should not be playing from the same tee's as girls unless there 12. Women tees are generally the red tee's and almost hardly any tournaments play from further tee's. I heard of girls playing from the senior tee's but almost never the men's tee's unless there in the LPGA.

I am not sure about college golf distances but If I had to guess the driving distance the average is probably around 200-230 yard range.

If you playing from the men's tee's then the problem is your league not your driving distance.  Some tournaments are not as well run as others.

The upper echelon of junior girl's golfers are playing in tournaments from 6000 yards.  6000 yards are men's distances, or what most amateur men should be playing.  There are tournaments with less yardage, but most of the better players avoid those tournaments.

In South Florida, the SFPGA plays the 11-12 year old boy's division in their Challenge Tour (these are the girl's that haven't made it to their championship tour.  The championship tour doesn't have an 11-12 year old division.) which plays the identical distance as the 13-18 year old girl's.  Generally it is between 5600 yards and 5800 yards.

Colleges want to know what a 13-18 year old girl is going to shoot from mens tees.  D1 Women's Golf is playing from around 6400 yards.  These girl's are driving the ball 220 plus.  If a female can't drive the ball 220 plus, they will struggle being able to play D1 golf.  220 is really the lower end of the spectrum  Most of these girl's are 240 plus.

If you are 13-18 years old and playing less than 5800 yards, you should be questioning the tournaments you are playing in.

Bottom Line, if you are a teen aged female junior golfer, you should be playing from men's distances.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 24 May 2017 - 12:01 PM.


16

#17 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

Heavy your talking about better players.  Most girls play from the women's tees and only the top players play any further.

If you can't win tournaments from the women's tees there is no need to move up period.  Also not all players can move up and that is okay too.


17

#18 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 642

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 May 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

Heavy your talking about better players.  Most girls play from the women's tees and only the top players play any further.

If you can't win tournaments from the women's tees there is no need to move up period.  Also not all players can move up and that is okay too.

I have been there and have done that.  I am not talking all about better players.  Tournament Golf is Tournament Golf.  If you are a 13 year old female you should be able to play 5500 yards to 5800 yards.  If you can't, then you have no business playing tournament level golf.  If you are a 16 years old female you should be able to play 5800 yards to 6000 yards.  If you can't, then you have no business playing tournament level golf.  A better 13 year old girl has the ability to compete from 6000 yards.  Most girl's do not play from the ladies tees, even in High School golf which isn't even top level golf.

I know what I said is harsh, but it is also a reality.

18

#19 _Txri21

_Txri21

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450662
  • Joined: 01/04/2017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

I'm playing in a 3 state-wide organizations and for all 3 of them you must play white tees if you are 13+. The 13-14 girls and 13-14 boys play from the same tees. Our courses are usually 6000 yards.

19



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors