Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Callaway Epic, Epic Pro Irons and Epic Hybrids: In-Hand Photos


354 replies to this topic

#61 Brianbigoats

Brianbigoats

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207889
  • Joined: 10/20/2012
  • Location:Lodi
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

I bet if they were $175 they would sell well but $250 is pushing it a little far, Plus the lofts are crazy strong The Pro 5 iron is the same loft as my 4 iron. I also think it make Callaway look like they are jumping on the bandwagon that PXG started.

Edited by Brianbigoats, 23 May 2017 - 11:48 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 cane700

cane700

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288027
  • Joined: 12/16/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Ebay ID:cane700
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostFarrow, on 23 May 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

View Postcane700, on 23 May 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

View PostYour-away!, on 23 May 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Its amazing how Callaway can make an iron that looks like a big box store special and then charge just as much as a miura!

Errrrr... not a fan!

+1

#miurab4epic

I don't understand comments like this. Really? The price tag is acceptable when it's a club with no tech in it but it comes from one particular country. Then that price is unacceptable when you actually get some tech for your money but it's made by a domestic company? This has to be purely a brand preference thing right? Like BMW vs Mercedes?

If by domestic you mean China, you should know that I live in the US.  There is no tech that will save a bad swing. This so called "tech" is no more than the ability to swing weight the club. Something that Ping has been doing  in their irons for years at realistic prices. At least with miura you're getting a forged work of art.



2

#63 scythe23

scythe23

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431860
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Phoenix
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

Dang that is pricey.  It's tough for me to even look at irons at that price point when I can get irons from Mizuno, Titleist ect... that are one generation old with upgraded shafts and look almost new for the price of one and a half Epic Irons lol.  I will admit that I always look for a good deal before I buy but good lord you can be blind and find an equal club for half the price.  Oh well to each his own

3

#64 scrap22

scrap22

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119370
  • Joined: 12/25/2010
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/epic-irons
Callaway Epic Driver 10*  
Callaway Epic 5 wood 17*
Callaway Epic  Hybrid 22*
Taylormade RSI 1 5-PW
Mizuno S5 - 49* 52* 56* 60*
EVNROLL ER2
Vice Pro Plus / Snell MTB

4

#65 eldog-in-the-hizouse

eldog-in-the-hizouse

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109157
  • Joined: 06/07/2010
  • Handicap:+1.3
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

This reminds me of the old Fusion stuff from 10 years ago or so. At the time it was crazy expensive. I really don't see this stuff doing well. Looks-wise or price-wise. Good luck to them though!


5

#66 golfer07840

golfer07840

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433524
  • Joined: 07/21/2016
  • Location:Northwest NJ
  • Handicap:17.2
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostJDSPGA, on 23 May 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

View Postnikegolfer1983, on 23 May 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

Does anyone know the price point and release dates of these clubs, specifically the hybrids?

Hybrids are $279.99, irons are $250 each for steel or $280 each for graphite.
Holy God.  

I write this as I'm at a 53k a yr college with my 2nd daughter.

Think I'm keeping my RzrX clubs for awhile.

6

#67 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 3,691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Joined: 08/02/2006
  • Location:Raleigh, NC
  • Handicap:3.1
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

I'd wager that, to a certain extent, these are a "halo" club for Callaway.  As others have said, similar to the FT and Fusion irons of the mid-2000's.  They'll sell a number of sets to folks that are able to pay, but they also serve as a symbol for Callaway and their ability to create a technology filled product, perhaps pushing consumers to other Callaway products even though the price point is too steep for the irons themselves.
Callaway GBB 9*, Rogue Silver I/O 60 S
Callaway 816 14*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway 816, 18*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway Apex CF16 4-iron, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Callaway Apex Pro 16, 5-AW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Callaway MD3 56* & PM-60* Recoil 110 F4 +1"
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black, 36"

7

#68 dicko999

dicko999

    I call it "Celebration"

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95237
  • Joined: 09/26/2009
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

At first glance, I thought the irons were the old Nickent 4DX series from several years ago.
TaylorMade R1 11.25*
TaylorMade SLDR Mini 14*
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 17*
Ping G20 Hybrid 20*, 23*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 5-PW
Callaway X Forged 52*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

8

#69 cane700

cane700

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288027
  • Joined: 12/16/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Ebay ID:cane700
GolfWRX Likes : 508

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 23 May 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'd wager that, to a certain extent, these are a "halo" club for Callaway.  As others have said, similar to the FT and Fusion irons of the mid-2000's.  They'll sell a number of sets to folks that are able to pay, but they also serve as a symbol for Callaway and their ability to create a technology filled product, perhaps pushing consumers to other Callaway products even though the price point is too steep for the irons themselves.
This is probably the correct assessment.  Their customer base is not going to drop  big coin on clubs when they've been buying off the rack for $500.

9

#70 duffer987

duffer987

    I'm not laughing. I'm just befuddled.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,885 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 4124

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Postcane700, on 23 May 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

View PostSheriffBooth, on 23 May 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'd wager that, to a certain extent, these are a "halo" club for Callaway.  As others have said, similar to the FT and Fusion irons of the mid-2000's.  They'll sell a number of sets to folks that are able to pay, but they also serve as a symbol for Callaway and their ability to create a technology filled product, perhaps pushing consumers to other Callaway products even though the price point is too steep for the irons themselves.
This is probably the correct assessment.  Their customer base is not going to drop  big coin on clubs when they've been buying off the rack for $500.

The "halo" should at least be appealing/aspirational though. The new Acura NSX or the Lexus LFA when it was introduced, for example.
These Epic irons are like Dodge choosing the Caravan as its halo ;)

Edited by duffer987, 23 May 2017 - 12:52 PM.

Taylormade M1 12*: Set to 11*
Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913H 21*, 24*
Callaway Legacy Black 5-PW
Mizuno T4 54*, 58* | Odyssey MXM #7
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

Apparently wearing trousers makes me elitist.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#71 cmatthews77

cmatthews77

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259542
  • Joined: 06/27/2013
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

View Postgioguy21, on 23 May 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

how is it possible the same guys who put out the apex MB came out with these....?

not even in the same ballpark. #shank.

Exactly!
#epicfail
Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 - Project X HZRDUS
Callaway GBB Epic 15 - Diamana 50
Callaway GBB Heavenwood - Kuro Kage Black TiNi
Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid- Kuro Kage
Callaway '16 Apex Pro (5-PW) - Recoil 760 ES
MD3 Black 50, 54 (S Grind) & 58 (PM Grind)
Scotty Cameron Futura X7, GoLo3, Newport Mid-Slant or Odyssey ProType iX 1

Balls: Taylor Made TP5 or Callaway Chrome Soft X

11

#72 cmatthews77

cmatthews77

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259542
  • Joined: 06/27/2013
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 23 May 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'd wager that, to a certain extent, these are a "halo" club for Callaway.  As others have said, similar to the FT and Fusion irons of the mid-2000's.  They'll sell a number of sets to folks that are able to pay, but they also serve as a symbol for Callaway and their ability to create a technology filled product, perhaps pushing consumers to other Callaway products even though the price point is too steep for the irons themselves.

OR

They cause Callaway fan boys like myself to immediately go get fit for Mizuno or Srixon
Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 - Project X HZRDUS
Callaway GBB Epic 15 - Diamana 50
Callaway GBB Heavenwood - Kuro Kage Black TiNi
Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid- Kuro Kage
Callaway '16 Apex Pro (5-PW) - Recoil 760 ES
MD3 Black 50, 54 (S Grind) & 58 (PM Grind)
Scotty Cameron Futura X7, GoLo3, Newport Mid-Slant or Odyssey ProType iX 1

Balls: Taylor Made TP5 or Callaway Chrome Soft X

12

#73 graciedoggy

graciedoggy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424360
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
  • Location:st thomas ontario
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

well i have last years sub zero xr16 driver and just got a sub zero Epic 13* 3 wood...PX hzrdus shafts --i love the line ...now to find a 5 wood..!!! if i sell my basement full of clubs i'll get the irons!!!

13

#74 cmatthews77

cmatthews77

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259542
  • Joined: 06/27/2013
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

How the Epic Irons came about....

Callaway Board Meeting, Q1Financial Review: "Great work team, this Epic Driver has been a big success.  How do we keep these revenue projections up?"  Someone in room: "let's make an Epic iron"

Board to CEO: Make an Epic Iron released before June.
CEO to Harry: "We need an Epic iron line before June".
Harry to Doc Hoc: "Doc, we have to have an Epic iron line before June"
Doc Hoc: "What? Why?"
Harry: "We just have to.  Driver still doing well.  Board thinks they can repeat this momentum for Q2 with irons".
Doc: "No way. Won't work."
Harry: "I know.  Oh... and they have to be $250 per club".
Doc: WTF Harry?
Harry: Look Doc, don't sweat this.  Gather the team and let's meet in my office in an hour...

An hour later...

Harry: "Ok team, we've got to get an Epic iron line out by June".
*Notable mumbling heard around the room
What have we not done yet?
Someone on marketing team: "Tungsten"
Doc: "We've done Tungsten inserts in the Apex line"
Harry: "What if we could call it a Tungsten injection.  That may work.  Doc spin me something around injected Tungsten and what that would do"
What else?
Mkt Intern: "I mean we've already put the face cups in the Apex"
Harry: "Is that all we've got?"
Silence from room...
Harry: Ok listen.  Just go to the drawing board and take the injected tungsten story and the cup face welded to the body and come up with some new name we can call this process.  Let's reconvene in two weeks".

Harry to CEO: "I'm going to need double the video budget for this".
CEO: "Why Harry? We've already tripled the marketing budget this year"
Harry: "I know but you've demanded an Epic iron line by June and we've got nothing.  This is going to take some epic story telling"
CEO: "Fine Harry just get it done by June"

Two weeks later... in marketing board room...
Harry: "Ok team, what have we got..."
Doc: "Harry, check this out- "Energy Lensing"
Harry: Sounds cool. What is it?
Doc: It's the new name we call putting the face cup in the body of the iron
Harry: Love it.  What else we got?
Silence from the room...
Harry: Fine.  Let's see the design...
Doc: "Here she is (unveils the Epic iron design)"
Harry: "That's what we've got.  It looks like the Fusion design.  Maybe a little X2Hot also"
Marketing Intern: "Well we were going to use this badging on next fall's XR Fusion irons but we just pushed it up here and changed the color scheme to Epic"
Harry: "Da*nit! This thing has got to look premium!!!! We're charging $250 for this thing!
Doc: "Harry you didn't mention that in the meeting!
*Rumblings around the room
Doc: "We can re-design it.  Just give us 2 more weeks.
Harry: We don't have 2 weeks. I need final drafts to get the marketing materials out in time for a pre-June release"
Doc: "Well Harry. I mean.... we could.... ummm...."
Harry: "Ok guys everyone settle down.  Take the black part and make it look like the carbon material on the driver so it at least looks consistent with that.  Maybe that'll pass.  Oh and curve some metal across there so it looks like the 'jailbreak'.  Meeting dismissed.  Doc you stay.

Harry to Doc: "Look.  I got us twice the video production budget for this thing.  Write me some copy on what our engineering staff and production look like."
Doc: I'm not sure I understand?
Harry: I mean anything and everything we've got.  How many engineers do we have now?  How long is the production process.  Get all that too me.  I've got to sell this thing in this video.  Oh and forward me that PXG ad copy we've been laughing about.

Two weeks later:
CEO to Harry: "Harry, I've got to admit you've done it again"
Harry: "I'm not confident this is going to work."
CEO: "Doesnt matter. Board loves it.  Great work.  You should have heard them laughing about the "no restrictions on materials line".  Great stuff.  This is approved.
Harry: "Ok.  Well let me know what else you need"
Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 - Project X HZRDUS
Callaway GBB Epic 15 - Diamana 50
Callaway GBB Heavenwood - Kuro Kage Black TiNi
Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid- Kuro Kage
Callaway '16 Apex Pro (5-PW) - Recoil 760 ES
MD3 Black 50, 54 (S Grind) & 58 (PM Grind)
Scotty Cameron Futura X7, GoLo3, Newport Mid-Slant or Odyssey ProType iX 1

Balls: Taylor Made TP5 or Callaway Chrome Soft X

14

#75 south_side_lefty

south_side_lefty

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39933
  • Joined: 09/25/2007
  • Location:SW Cook County, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 679

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

View Postcmatthews77, on 23 May 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

How the Epic Irons came about....

Callaway Board Meeting, Q1Financial Review: "Great work team, this Epic Driver has been a big success.  How do we keep these revenue projections up?"  Someone in room: "let's make an Epic iron"

Board to CEO: Make an Epic Iron released before June.
CEO to Harry: "We need an Epic iron line before June".
Harry to Doc Hoc: "Doc, we have to have an Epic iron line before June"
Doc Hoc: "What? Why?"
Harry: "We just have to.  Driver still doing well.  Board thinks they can repeat this momentum for Q2 with irons".
Doc: "No way. Won't work."
Harry: "I know.  Oh... and they have to be $250 per club".
Doc: WTF Harry?
Harry: Look Doc, don't sweat this.  Gather the team and let's meet in my office in an hour...

An hour later...

Harry: "Ok team, we've got to get an Epic iron line out by June".
*Notable mumbling heard around the room
What have we not done yet?
Someone on marketing team: "Tungsten"
Doc: "We've done Tungsten inserts in the Apex line"
Harry: "What if we could call it a Tungsten injection.  That may work.  Doc spin me something around injected Tungsten and what that would do"
What else?
Mkt Intern: "I mean we've already put the face cups in the Apex"
Harry: "Is that all we've got?"
Silence from room...
Harry: Ok listen.  Just go to the drawing board and take the injected tungsten story and the cup face welded to the body and come up with some new name we can call this process.  Let's reconvene in two weeks".

Harry to CEO: "I'm going to need double the video budget for this".
CEO: "Why Harry? We've already tripled the marketing budget this year"
Harry: "I know but you've demanded an Epic iron line by June and we've got nothing.  This is going to take some epic story telling"
CEO: "Fine Harry just get it done by June"

Two weeks later... in marketing board room...
Harry: "Ok team, what have we got..."
Doc: "Harry, check this out- "Energy Lensing"
Harry: Sounds cool. What is it?
Doc: It's the new name we call putting the face cup in the body of the iron
Harry: Love it.  What else we got?
Silence from the room...
Harry: Fine.  Let's see the design...
Doc: "Here she is (unveils the Epic iron design)"
Harry: "That's what we've got.  It looks like the Fusion design.  Maybe a little X2Hot also"
Marketing Intern: "Well we were going to use this badging on next fall's XR Fusion irons but we just pushed it up here and changed the color scheme to Epic"
Harry: "Da*nit! This thing has got to look premium!!!! We're charging $250 for this thing!
Doc: "Harry you didn't mention that in the meeting!
*Rumblings around the room
Doc: "We can re-design it.  Just give us 2 more weeks.
Harry: We don't have 2 weeks. I need final drafts to get the marketing materials out in time for a pre-June release"
Doc: "Well Harry. I mean.... we could.... ummm...."
Harry: "Ok guys everyone settle down.  Take the black part and make it look like the carbon material on the driver so it at least looks consistent with that.  Maybe that'll pass.  Oh and curve some metal across there so it looks like the 'jailbreak'.  Meeting dismissed.  Doc you stay.

Harry to Doc: "Look.  I got us twice the video production budget for this thing.  Write me some copy on what our engineering staff and production look like."
Doc: I'm not sure I understand?
Harry: I mean anything and everything we've got.  How many engineers do we have now?  How long is the production process.  Get all that too me.  I've got to sell this thing in this video.  Oh and forward me that PXG ad copy we've been laughing about.

Two weeks later:
CEO to Harry: "Harry, I've got to admit you've done it again"
Harry: "I'm not confident this is going to work."
CEO: "Doesnt matter. Board loves it.  Great work.  You should have heard them laughing about the "no restrictions on materials line".  Great stuff.  This is approved.
Harry: "Ok.  Well let me know what else you need"

I also have a full Callaway bag (yeah,even the bag) and this doesn't really bother me.  It's as though these incredibly high priced and not terribly aesthetic irons are now causing you personal embarrassment. And like, a LOT of embarrassment.


15

#76 caloge

caloge

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188372
  • Joined: 06/24/2012
  • Location:Toronto
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Seems like these miss the mark. It follows the formula: Manufacturer claims infinite R&D budget to justify massive price akin to pxg and Titleist c16, and produces something that looks different and tells an intriguing story. Problem ultimately is that both PXG and Titleist produced a set of iron that looked unique appealing and expensive. These do not look expensive, and really dont look substantially different than many of Callaways past crazier GI offerings,

As has been said before in this thread, I dont really Callaway produced anything here to justify the price, but sales are the ultimate judge. How you could be in the market for "exotic" irons and pick these over a set of c16's or 0311s is hard to grasp.

16

#77 CCTxGolf

CCTxGolf

    Going to the Masters...Someday

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 391812
  • Joined: 08/18/2015
  • Location:Corpus Christi
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

View Postcmatthews77, on 23 May 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

View PostSheriffBooth, on 23 May 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'd wager that, to a certain extent, these are a "halo" club for Callaway.  As others have said, similar to the FT and Fusion irons of the mid-2000's.  They'll sell a number of sets to folks that are able to pay, but they also serve as a symbol for Callaway and their ability to create a technology filled product, perhaps pushing consumers to other Callaway products even though the price point is too steep for the irons themselves.

OR

They cause Callaway fan boys like myself to immediately go get fit for Mizuno or Srixon

Haha! I've been on the srixon website at lunch and am thinking of a fitting this weekend. 765 and 965 combo looking very appealing now that I have no desire to look into the new Callaway offering. I'm sure we are not the only ones.
Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5* set to 11.5*
Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5*
Long Iron - Ping i3 3 iron
Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1

17

#78 Bob57

Bob57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103973
  • Joined: 02/25/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostYour-away!, on 23 May 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Its amazing how Callaway can make an iron that looks like a big box store special and then charge just as much as a miura!

Errrrr... not a fan!

Guess you haven't seen the latest GI irons Miura has put out (genesis) since being bought. They are so ugly Miura doesn't put their name on them but prices them hideously..

Edited by Bob57, 23 May 2017 - 02:39 PM.


18

#79 Bob57

Bob57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103973
  • Joined: 02/25/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

View Postcaloge, on 23 May 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

Seems like these miss the mark. It follows the formula: Manufacturer claims infinite R&D budget to justify massive price akin to pxg and Titleist c16, and produces something that looks different and tells an intriguing story. Problem ultimately is that both PXG and Titleist produced a set of iron that looked unique appealing and expensive. These do not look expensive, and really dont look substantially different than many of Callaways past crazier GI offerings,

As has been said before in this thread, I dont really Callaway produced anything here to justify the price, but sales are the ultimate judge. How you could be in the market for "exotic" irons and pick these over a set of c16's or 0311s is hard to grasp.

PXG appealing with its perimeter lined with screws? $3,000 for a set of clubs that advertises itself as a forged club yet doesn't feature a forged face. Maybe you are supposed to literally hit the ball on the screws for that forged feeling. C16 looks good? I owned a set and while they indeed did perform they were less than appealing to look down at. The Callaway XR steelhead Pros run circles around both PXG and C16s performance wise. Plus the black finish far outlasts that "drill bit" black finish on the PXGs..the BS on the epics is no less believable than the crap published on the PXGs and C16s.

Edited by Bob57, 23 May 2017 - 02:47 PM.


19

#80 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
  • Joined: 02/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1567

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:49 PM

The great thing about the Epic line and the C16 line is that you will be able to get them slightly used for a third or a quarter of the price. The $1100 C16 driver can be had in great shape now for $400, and it's barely a year old. That's way better than the PXG stuff, which seems to go up in price if it's used. I don't think we can complain about the Epic pricing since it will drop drastically on the resale market.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 jongalt55

jongalt55

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91404
  • Joined: 08/11/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

This looks a lot like Callaway's jump-the-shark moment.  The past several years have proven that golf evolves, it doesn't change overnight.  That's why RBZ and R11 worked, but R1, Stage 2, Lethal and "rocketballz-ier" didn't.  It's also why the majority of golfers aren't out there dressed like Al Czervik.  The only times revolutionary change has been widely adopted have been when it produces revolutionary results (i.e., the first metalwood, the rubber core ball, even the original RBZ).  Where a company defies the mainstream too broadly without that kind of revolutionary "got to have it" product, it fails (see TM examples above, Nike's failure to gain market share with their unconventional "covert" tech, etc.).  None of these new "distance" tech irons are revolutionary.  They decrease loft and justify it by using weight distribution to create higher launch angles, none of which changes the fact that they've dramatically decreased spin, making their irons longer, but less able to hold greens.  In short, they may be longer, but they're less playable.  Now Callaway apparently expects consumers to buy that same "length" story and pay twice as much for a fairly garish looking product.  If they're aiming for the same "luxury goods" segment PXG is targeting, they missed the mark.  When was the last time you saw a luxury car (audi, bmw, mercedes, lexus, infinity, jaguar, etc.) a significant percentage of the population would describe as garish or off-putting?  You don't.  Luxury goods are described by words like sculpted, polished and refined.  That's where PXG is hitting the mark.  And it is also where Callaway missed it with the Epic irons.  I can't think that these will be any sort of significant success outside of hardcore Callaway homers...

I can just hear the average club member's response to their buddy's new Epic irons--"looks good on you though..." :rolleyes:

Edited by jongalt55, 23 May 2017 - 03:04 PM.


21

#82 BForrester

BForrester

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418128
  • Joined: 03/29/2016
  • Location:Carmel, IN
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Taylormade M1 9.75o Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o
Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW XP-115 S300
Mizuno S5 Blue Ion (54, 58)
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1

Is there a phrase in the English language worse than, "Three putt for bogey"?

22

#83 Farrow

Farrow

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153549
  • Joined: 01/05/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

View Postcane700, on 23 May 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

View PostFarrow, on 23 May 2017 - 10:02 AM, said:

View Postcane700, on 23 May 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

View PostYour-away!, on 23 May 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Its amazing how Callaway can make an iron that looks like a big box store special and then charge just as much as a miura!

Errrrr... not a fan!

+1

#miurab4epic

I don't understand comments like this. Really? The price tag is acceptable when it's a club with no tech in it but it comes from one particular country. Then that price is unacceptable when you actually get some tech for your money but it's made by a domestic company? This has to be purely a brand preference thing right? Like BMW vs Mercedes?

If by domestic you mean China, you should know that I live in the US.  There is no tech that will save a bad swing. This so called "tech" is no more than the ability to swing weight the club. Something that Ping has been doing  in their irons for years at realistic prices. At least with miura you're getting a forged work of art.

Yes most manufacturers produce their clubs in China, but Callaway is a US company. That's what I mean by domestic. So basically what you're saying is the price should be driven purely by aesthetic? Nobody is saying tech will save a bad swing, but it can minimize the damage from that bad swing. You don't get that with the majority of Miura models. At that point you're just paying for a name, not performance. Personally, I'd rather have a set that helps me shoot lower scores while swinging them than a set that just looks pretty sitting in my bag.

23

#84 madaboutgolf

madaboutgolf

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27259
  • Joined: 03/30/2007
  • Location:england
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

irons not for me looks wise..and priced for lotto winners ?
Taylormade Aeroburner  12*
Taylormade M2  3 wood
Taylormade M2  5 wood
Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid/Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Callaway XR OS  5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright
Callaway sure out 58* wedge
Taylormade Burner speed   
Odyssey Works # 7 /  V line fang putter

24

#85 karlkaspian

karlkaspian

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408526
  • Joined: 01/12/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Has Callaway ever had an iron (from a set) priced at $250 before? Curious.

Taylormade M2 10.5 Degree
Taylormade M2 3-wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 Degree Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2 and 4 iron (switch between hybrid and 2 iron)
Tayormade PSi 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50, 55, 61
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Follow me on Twitter! @STGolfDummy

Follow me on Instagram! http://www.instagram...cratchtestdummy

25

#86 maowv

maowv

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431348
  • Joined: 07/03/2016
  • Location:Charleston WV
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

View Postcmatthews77, on 23 May 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

How the Epic Irons came about....

Callaway Board Meeting, Q1Financial Review: "Great work team, this Epic Driver has been a big success.  How do we keep these revenue projections up?"  Someone in room: "let's make an Epic iron"

Board to CEO: Make an Epic Iron released before June.
CEO to Harry: "We need an Epic iron line before June".
Harry to Doc Hoc: "Doc, we have to have an Epic iron line before June"
Doc Hoc: "What? Why?"
Harry: "We just have to.  Driver still doing well.  Board thinks they can repeat this momentum for Q2 with irons".
Doc: "No way. Won't work."
Harry: "I know.  Oh... and they have to be $250 per club".
Doc: WTF Harry?
Harry: Look Doc, don't sweat this.  Gather the team and let's meet in my office in an hour...

An hour later...

Harry: "Ok team, we've got to get an Epic iron line out by June".
*Notable mumbling heard around the room
What have we not done yet?
Someone on marketing team: "Tungsten"
Doc: "We've done Tungsten inserts in the Apex line"
Harry: "What if we could call it a Tungsten injection.  That may work.  Doc spin me something around injected Tungsten and what that would do"
What else?
Mkt Intern: "I mean we've already put the face cups in the Apex"
Harry: "Is that all we've got?"
Silence from room...
Harry: Ok listen.  Just go to the drawing board and take the injected tungsten story and the cup face welded to the body and come up with some new name we can call this process.  Let's reconvene in two weeks".

Harry to CEO: "I'm going to need double the video budget for this".
CEO: "Why Harry? We've already tripled the marketing budget this year"
Harry: "I know but you've demanded an Epic iron line by June and we've got nothing.  This is going to take some epic story telling"
CEO: "Fine Harry just get it done by June"

Two weeks later... in marketing board room...
Harry: "Ok team, what have we got..."
Doc: "Harry, check this out- "Energy Lensing"
Harry: Sounds cool. What is it?
Doc: It's the new name we call putting the face cup in the body of the iron
Harry: Love it.  What else we got?
Silence from the room...
Harry: Fine.  Let's see the design...
Doc: "Here she is (unveils the Epic iron design)"
Harry: "That's what we've got.  It looks like the Fusion design.  Maybe a little X2Hot also"
Marketing Intern: "Well we were going to use this badging on next fall's XR Fusion irons but we just pushed it up here and changed the color scheme to Epic"
Harry: "Da*nit! This thing has got to look premium!!!! We're charging $250 for this thing!
Doc: "Harry you didn't mention that in the meeting!
*Rumblings around the room
Doc: "We can re-design it.  Just give us 2 more weeks.
Harry: We don't have 2 weeks. I need final drafts to get the marketing materials out in time for a pre-June release"
Doc: "Well Harry. I mean.... we could.... ummm...."
Harry: "Ok guys everyone settle down.  Take the black part and make it look like the carbon material on the driver so it at least looks consistent with that.  Maybe that'll pass.  Oh and curve some metal across there so it looks like the 'jailbreak'.  Meeting dismissed.  Doc you stay.

Harry to Doc: "Look.  I got us twice the video production budget for this thing.  Write me some copy on what our engineering staff and production look like."
Doc: I'm not sure I understand?
Harry: I mean anything and everything we've got.  How many engineers do we have now?  How long is the production process.  Get all that too me.  I've got to sell this thing in this video.  Oh and forward me that PXG ad copy we've been laughing about.

Two weeks later:
CEO to Harry: "Harry, I've got to admit you've done it again"
Harry: "I'm not confident this is going to work."
CEO: "Doesnt matter. Board loves it.  Great work.  You should have heard them laughing about the "no restrictions on materials line".  Great stuff.  This is approved.
Harry: "Ok.  Well let me know what else you need"

The most Epic thing about today's release is this post. Everything else is equal to reheating all the leftovers found in the back of the fridge and then charging French cuisine prices for it. At least this write-up is original and hilarious.

These irons are the golf equivalent to Arthur Fonzarelli on water skis in his leather jacket.

Edited by maowv, 23 May 2017 - 04:24 PM.


26

#87 gunmetal

gunmetal

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6904
  • Joined: 10/18/2005
  • Location:Idaho
GolfWRX Likes : 380

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

Pretty soon someone is going to be able to sell a $2000 set of irons that says "Made in the USA"....and still make a profit.

27

#88 cafe_racer

cafe_racer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445852
  • Joined: 11/07/2016
  • Location:Melbourne, AU
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:33 PM

Posted Image

28

#89 mixxedbag

mixxedbag

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294866
  • Joined: 02/02/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Definitely the day their "resurgence" has jumped the shark, although some could argue earlier, but tough to with the #1 tag.  We'll be seeing a new #1 this year anyways. Besides, what's #1 doesn't matter to anyone unless you're getting a cut of it. I see a lot of Callaway fanboys on Twitter etc caught up in the Callaway circle jerk where they just love every word Harry or Chad say, doesn't make sense to me.
2017 Bag
TaylorMade M1 2017 460 9.5 Rogue Silver 70X/Callaway Epic SubZero 10.5/Titleist 917D3
TaylorMade M1 2017 15 Graphite Design DI-8X/Callaway Epic SubZero 15/Titleist 917F3
TaylorMade M1 2017 19 Graphite Design BB-8X
Mizuno MP-5 4-PW Project X 6.5/Srixon Z965 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5/Titleist 716 MB 4-Pw Dynamic Gold AMT X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50F, 54S, 58K
Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide 34"/Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5/Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

29

#90 Callaway_HarryA

Callaway_HarryA

    Tour Winner

  • Sponsors
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202791
  • Joined: 09/12/2012
  • Location:Carlsbad, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 774

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

View Postcmatthews77, on 23 May 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

How the Epic Irons came about....

Callaway Board Meeting, Q1Financial Review: "Great work team, this Epic Driver has been a big success.  How do we keep these revenue projections up?"  Someone in room: "let's make an Epic iron"

Board to CEO: Make an Epic Iron released before June.
CEO to Harry: "We need an Epic iron line before June".
Harry to Doc Hoc: "Doc, we have to have an Epic iron line before June"
Doc Hoc: "What? Why?"
Harry: "We just have to.  Driver still doing well.  Board thinks they can repeat this momentum for Q2 with irons".
Doc: "No way. Won't work."
Harry: "I know.  Oh... and they have to be $250 per club".
Doc: WTF Harry?
Harry: Look Doc, don't sweat this.  Gather the team and let's meet in my office in an hour...

An hour later...

Harry: "Ok team, we've got to get an Epic iron line out by June".
*Notable mumbling heard around the room
What have we not done yet?
Someone on marketing team: "Tungsten"
Doc: "We've done Tungsten inserts in the Apex line"
Harry: "What if we could call it a Tungsten injection.  That may work.  Doc spin me something around injected Tungsten and what that would do"
What else?
Mkt Intern: "I mean we've already put the face cups in the Apex"
Harry: "Is that all we've got?"
Silence from room...
Harry: Ok listen.  Just go to the drawing board and take the injected tungsten story and the cup face welded to the body and come up with some new name we can call this process.  Let's reconvene in two weeks".

Harry to CEO: "I'm going to need double the video budget for this".
CEO: "Why Harry? We've already tripled the marketing budget this year"
Harry: "I know but you've demanded an Epic iron line by June and we've got nothing.  This is going to take some epic story telling"
CEO: "Fine Harry just get it done by June"

Two weeks later... in marketing board room...
Harry: "Ok team, what have we got..."
Doc: "Harry, check this out- "Energy Lensing"
Harry: Sounds cool. What is it?
Doc: It's the new name we call putting the face cup in the body of the iron
Harry: Love it.  What else we got?
Silence from the room...
Harry: Fine.  Let's see the design...
Doc: "Here she is (unveils the Epic iron design)"
Harry: "That's what we've got.  It looks like the Fusion design.  Maybe a little X2Hot also"
Marketing Intern: "Well we were going to use this badging on next fall's XR Fusion irons but we just pushed it up here and changed the color scheme to Epic"
Harry: "Da*nit! This thing has got to look premium!!!! We're charging $250 for this thing!
Doc: "Harry you didn't mention that in the meeting!
*Rumblings around the room
Doc: "We can re-design it.  Just give us 2 more weeks.
Harry: We don't have 2 weeks. I need final drafts to get the marketing materials out in time for a pre-June release"
Doc: "Well Harry. I mean.... we could.... ummm...."
Harry: "Ok guys everyone settle down.  Take the black part and make it look like the carbon material on the driver so it at least looks consistent with that.  Maybe that'll pass.  Oh and curve some metal across there so it looks like the 'jailbreak'.  Meeting dismissed.  Doc you stay.

Harry to Doc: "Look.  I got us twice the video production budget for this thing.  Write me some copy on what our engineering staff and production look like."
Doc: I'm not sure I understand?
Harry: I mean anything and everything we've got.  How many engineers do we have now?  How long is the production process.  Get all that too me.  I've got to sell this thing in this video.  Oh and forward me that PXG ad copy we've been laughing about.

Two weeks later:
CEO to Harry: "Harry, I've got to admit you've done it again"
Harry: "I'm not confident this is going to work."
CEO: "Doesnt matter. Board loves it.  Great work.  You should have heard them laughing about the "no restrictions on materials line".  Great stuff.  This is approved.
Harry: "Ok.  Well let me know what else you need"

Damn, I'm good!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors