Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Escaping California Thread

103 replies to this topic

#31 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 694

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

BeerPerHole, on 24 May 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

I have heard good things about Boise. I do need to take the family to see it. I've also heard great things about Austin. I laughed when I saw Tom Kite interviewed on the tv during the PGA tourney there. "We love to have you come visit, just don't stay." Californians have flooded into Austin. But, they've flooded into many nice places.

Let me know when you come visit :)

On a side note, my brother in laws brother live in Austin and loves it.

Cleveland Classic XL 280 9°- Project X Black
Adams Super LS - 14° - HOF Patriot
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 120
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24° - C Taper 120
Adams MB2 Torched - C Taper 120
Cobra Tour Trusty 50° - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 55° - S300
Nike Engage DS 60° - S300
ProType 2-Ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 ohioglfr

ohioglfr

Municipal Junkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193866
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

Beaufort S.C. is nice.  Lived in the area 15 years ago and loved it.

I've lived in CA . . . San Diego and Vallejo, in the '80s. Three of my kids currently live in San Diego, and they're also thinking of bailing.  The middle-class is getting thrashed and the public schools are outcome-based.  Now, Sacramento is considering a whopping 15% payroll surcharge to support healthcare.  It's all a shame, and I wish you well in your new location.

#33 DBill

DBill

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426712
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

BeerPerHole, on 22 May 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

I have a short list so far. One place that intrigues me, on paper, is Portland, TX. Where are you, and what places do you think are worth looking at? I'd prefer good golf, close to a coast, good schools, affordable.

If you are talking about Portland, TX near Corpus Christi and Port Aransas, there is great fishing off the coast and in the bay their.  As far as schools go, I'm not sure about Portland but my aunt just retired from Calallen high school just outside of Corpus and it was a pretty "wealthy" area with good schools, not sure how Portland TX stacks up.

If Portland TX is one you are looking at, be prepared for humid and hot days in summer and pretty much high humidity the entire year.

I live in the Austin burbs and was born and raised just outside of Austin.  Thankfully I was more wise to choose Texas A&M as my alma mater, sorry longhorn fans.  Back on topic......

I have a wife and 2 small kids, while we like and enjoy Austin, the traffic is absolutely terrible, the city planners did not want the population boom to come here, thus roads have been impacted with congestion.  Trying not to get too political, but Austin is and has always been a little too far left for my liking.  Around the burbs it's not so bad (Williamson County, or the northern burbs, is about as direct opposite to Travis county where Austin is as you can get).

Having said all of this, I have a job opportunity and will be accepting a position with my company that will have us moving to Phoenix.  We are excited and nervous all together, but we have enjoyed our time living outside Austin.

Whew, this is getting long winded.  One last point, I played golf today just north of Austin at my home course, teed off at 9 am and it was humid and sticky as all get out.  Just be prepared for any coastal living situation, especially Texas, the humidity will be very high.

If you have any more questions about Austin or surrounding areas shoot me a PM, would be more than happy to discuss them or have you out to play golf sometime just north of Austin.

Edited by DBill, 26 May 2017 - 08:43 PM.

#34 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the great input, everybody. Just last night I was at my kids' school for an event and a father there was wearing a South Padre Island tee shirt. I pointed and asked about what he knew about that area. Ends up he had lived in Texas about a decade while his wife was in the military and spent a lot of time around Corpus and the coast fishing (loves fishing as I do). The way he described the coast down there sounded like the kind of place I'd love to retire to - fairly unpopulated, the huge coastal channel with the redfish schools heading up and down, the laid-back people. Sounded pretty darn good. I also go tuna fishing here in California annually and I've been reading about the tuna fishing out of Corpus and Houston. I'd love chasing those blackfin.

I see talk on here of earthquakes. Man, I've ridden through plenty of those in Cali. This region doesn't get them very often, but when I was growing up in the bay area I remember sitting and eating my breakfast (just south of SF) and watching my cereal bouncing out of the bowl at our kitchen table and just continuing to eat...haha.

My colleague at work will be retiring from our office about the same time. I'm an engineer and he's an architect. He's heading to Houston. This also increases my ability to do part-time work if we're in the same region.

#35 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

Lefty with occasional game

• 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Handicap:5.2
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 757

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

I don't know how anybody would want to live in Texas year round. It's so damn hot!

Cobra LTD 11.5D w/ Elements Chrome 6F4
TM M2 16.5* w/ Fujikura Motore F3 80s
Cobra F6 19* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 915H 24* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 6-PW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist 714 AP2 GW w/ Nippon Modus3 120s
Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB2 or SC Newport 2.5

#36 DBill

DBill

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:31 PM

BeerPerHole, on 27 May 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Thanks for the great input, everybody. Just last night I was at my kids' school for an event and a father there was wearing a South Padre Island tee shirt. I pointed and asked about what he knew about that area. Ends up he had lived in Texas about a decade while his wife was in the military and spent a lot of time around Corpus and the coast fishing (loves fishing as I do). The way he described the coast down there sounded like the kind of place I'd love to retire to - fairly unpopulated, the huge coastal channel with the redfish schools heading up and down, the laid-back people. Sounded pretty darn good. I also go tuna fishing here in California annually and I've been reading about the tuna fishing out of Corpus and Houston. I'd love chasing those blackfin.

I see talk on here of earthquakes. Man, I've ridden through plenty of those in Cali. This region doesn't get them very often, but when I was growing up in the bay area I remember sitting and eating my breakfast (just south of SF) and watching my cereal bouncing out of the bowl at our kitchen table and just continuing to eat...haha.

My colleague at work will be retiring from our office about the same time. I'm an engineer and he's an architect. He's heading to Houston. This also increases my ability to do part-time work if we're in the same region.

We limited on trout in an hour and redfish another hour down at Baffin Bay last September.  Then the hunt was on for the bull reds.

Edited by DBill, 28 May 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#37 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

The past we can't change. The future we can't predict.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 9460

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

I was detailed to Houston once in October. It was 92* and 90% humidity, and the locals were all saying, 'thank god the heat finally broke'. Whaaat?
So there is really only here and now

#38 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

thug the bunny, on 27 May 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

I was detailed to Houston once in October. It was 92* and 90% humidity, and the locals were all saying, 'thank god the heat finally broke'. Whaaat?

I've spent a decent amount of time in Houston for work (and almost ended up moving there for work).  But I just couldn't do Houston.  It's a decent city with a ton to offer.  There are some really cool parts of the city (I.e The Heights).  However, the humidity is unbearable.  I was there in mid march and it was 90 and 90+% humidity.  Some people are fine with humidity... I am not.  I just get miserable.  I'll take 110* with low humidity in Phoenix over 90* and 95% humidity every single time.  

My mom however.  Hates Phoenix.  Hates the scorching heat.  But she will go to South Carolina in August and lay by the pool for 8 hours in 100% humidity.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

#39 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 19,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 18785

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

pappaf2, on 24 May 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

MtlJeff, on 23 May 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

thug the bunny, on 23 May 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

MtlJeff, on 23 May 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

I'm not American obviously but have traveled a ton through the US....i love the pacific northwest, i have always said if i moved to the US it would be Portland, Oregon. I have some friends there who love it including one who moved from Montreal. Nice city, kind of small but still a "big city", some nice history, low crime rate, weather not terrible, and proximity to a nice wine valley.....that checks a lot of boxes for me!

Gotta agree Portland is an awesome area.  It is pretty wet though. I have played golf there during work trips and more than once almost got my shoes sucked off my feet from the mud.  One of the courses was a par 3 12 hole course, brewery, distillery, and restaurant. Greens fees included a pint of beer you were supposed to take out on the course with you. Great culture, very free and creative. You gotta get some tats and piercings though..

Edit: although every time I have been there I would occasionally look up at Mt Rainier and think 'not today big guy please'..

That is one great thing about the northeast. Winter can suck but no active volcanos or tectonic plates really.

The earthquake threat out west in our lifetime is something I'd rather not read or think about. I think most just put their hands over their ears and say "LA LA LA"

Not sure if you are serious about the no tectonic plates. When the Cascadia Fault goes it will obliterate Portland and Seattle

http://www.cnn.com/2...ne-earthquakes/

Yes i said that's the good thing about the northeast, not the northwest. Aware of the cascadia faults, it's actually a hobby of mine to read about this stuff!
Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#40 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 19,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 18785

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

I actually spent last week in Austin, which is a city i had not been to much in the past. I have a colleague moving there in a few weeks. Everyone i met there loves it, and it seems to be a good mix of young blood , without being completely all-of-the-bad-stereotypes-of-millenials young blood....like there's still some good old fashioned charm to it

Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

My Girl Duffners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
GolfWRX Likes : 5966

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

DBill, on 27 May 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

If you love fishing here is a picture of a redfish I caught down at Baffin Bay this past September.  We limited on trout in an hour and redfish another hour.  Then the hunt was on for these bull reds.

Can you keep those at that size? If not, you shouldn't be holding them like that. One, holding them vertical can cause intestinal damage to the fish. Two, holding fish by the gill/gill plates is just cruel. think if some one decided to hold you up by your throat...
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* Speeder Evo III 565 SR
Fairway: Callaway XR 16 15* Speeder Evo FW 565 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 18* Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour 100 3-PW DG S300
Wedge: Callaway MD3 56* C Grind & MD PM Grind 60*
Putter: Byron Morgan 34" Bombora Mystic with Salty Grip
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X/Taylormade TP5x
Grint: Jcohick

#42 DBill

DBill

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Papa Johick, on 28 May 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

If you love fishing here is a picture of a redfish I caught down at Baffin Bay this past September.  We limited on trout in an hour and redfish another hour.  Then the hunt was on for these bull reds.

Can you keep those at that size? If not, you shouldn't be holding them like that. One, holding them vertical can cause intestinal damage to the fish. Two, holding fish by the gill/gill plates is just cruel. think if some one decided to hold you up by your throat...

Yes you can keep them that size, and you are correct that is not the correct way of handling a fish, that was the way the guide handed it to me.  I have removed the photo to not show incorrect handling.

#43 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

My Girl Duffners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
GolfWRX Likes : 5966

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

DBill, on 28 May 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

Papa Johick, on 28 May 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

Yes you can keep them that size, and you are correct that is not the correct way of handling a fish, that was the way the guide handed it to me.  I have removed the photo to not show incorrect handling.

Wow that's a big fish to keep haha. We can't keep reds bigger than 25". Also thank you. I wasn't trying to be an a** about it. The guide should know better and I just try to inform people about how to treat our resources.
Cheers

Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* Speeder Evo III 565 SR
Fairway: Callaway XR 16 15* Speeder Evo FW 565 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 18* Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour 100 3-PW DG S300
Wedge: Callaway MD3 56* C Grind & MD PM Grind 60*
Putter: Byron Morgan 34" Bombora Mystic with Salty Grip
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X/Taylormade TP5x
Grint: Jcohick

#44 touch

touch

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25409
GolfWRX Likes : 633

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

Ok
I'm here to help if I can be of assistance.
I was raised in Michigan, yes summers in Northern Michigan are grand. We had a summer cottage real close to Traverse City.
In my career I have lived in Wash D.C. , Las Vegas, Scottsdale AZ., Rancho Mirage, Ca. and now I am living  in Asheville , NC.
I personally would pass on anywhere in Texas. The climate is rough in most spots.
I really liked the desert SW, especially as a golfer, but the summers are a b****.
I suggest anywhere in NC or SC.
Charleston is grand. The cost of living is quite high as it is such a popular new city to locate to.
Savannah is fine as well.
Asheville is booming. It is not near the coast(but not that far really), but has all the outdoor activities anyone could want really.
It is far more reasonable in cost of living compared to Charleston.
The Asheville climate is one of the best in the middle south.
Mild winters and not really scorching (Atlanta ) summers.
Very nice people all around the area. Artistic neat feeling. I call it the Portland of the East Coast.
Schools are just fine in some suburban areas.
I just wanted to contribute as I have lived out west, in the mid west, and now North Carolina.
If it wasn't so often dreary, I would consider Portland or Seattle as well.
You can keep Texas, Florida, and the deep South.
I couldn't live in the upper Mid West year round for sure either.
That would cause suicide for any Cali Golden Bear person. Trust me on that.
Golf is awesome all over the Carolina's as well.
We all know that is important.

Edited by touch, 31 May 2017 - 06:59 PM.

Driver -Taylor Made JetSpeed
Fairway Woods - Adams Super S , PING i20
Hybrid - PING Raptor
Irons - PING i5
Wedges- Mizuno (gap) Vokey (sand) TMade TP (lob)
Putter - Odyssey

#45 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1780

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

thug the bunny, on 22 May 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

I would check out Austin, Nashville, or Ashville NC.

Nooo!!!!!!!!!!  Pretend none of these cities exist.  Californians have pretty much ruined Austin and have been moving to Nashville in droves recently....

#46 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

Lefty with occasional game

• 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Handicap:5.2
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 757

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

touch, on 31 May 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

Ok
I'm here to help if I can be of assistance.
I was raised in Michigan, yes summers in Northern Michigan are grand. We had a summer cottage real close to Traverse City.
In my career I have lived in Wash D.C. , Las Vegas, Scottsdale AZ., Rancho Mirage, Ca. and now I am living  in Asheville , NC.
I personally would pass on anywhere in Texas. The climate is rough in most spots.
I really liked the desert SW, especially as a golfer, but the summers are a b****.
I suggest anywhere in NC or SC.
Charleston is grand. The cost of living is quite high as it is such a popular new city to locate to.
Savannah is fine as well.
Asheville is booming. It is not near the coast(but not that far really), but has all the outdoor activities anyone could want really.
It is far more reasonable in cost of living compared to Charleston.
The Asheville climate is one of the best in the middle south.
Mild winters and not really scorching (Atlanta ) summers.
Very nice people all around the area. Artistic neat feeling. I call it the Portland of the East Coast.
Schools are just fine in some suburban areas.
I just wanted to contribute as I have lived out west, in the mid west, and now North Carolina.
If it wasn't so often dreary, I would consider Portland or Seattle as well.
You can keep Texas, Florida, and the deep South.
I couldn't live in the upper Mid West year round for sure either.
That would cause suicide for any Cali Golden Bear person. Trust me on that.
Golf is awesome all over the Carolina's as well.
We all know that is important.

I didn't know you were in Asheville, that's my spot!
Cobra LTD 11.5D w/ Elements Chrome 6F4
TM M2 16.5* w/ Fujikura Motore F3 80s
Cobra F6 19* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 915H 24* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 6-PW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist 714 AP2 GW w/ Nippon Modus3 120s
Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB2 or SC Newport 2.5

#47 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

highergr0und, on 31 May 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

Nooo!!!!!!!!!!  Pretend none of these cities exist.  Californians have pretty much ruined Austin and have been moving to Nashville in droves recently....

So what are you saying about Californians?

#48 airjammer

airjammer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

That some Californian's might as well be from outer space or hell as for as the southern bible belt natives are concerned.  As long as theycome very slowly they can be assimilated before causing too many issues😂

#49 touch

touch

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

I have heard that before.
First, when I lived in Metro Detroit, everyone wanted to escape to almost anywhere else.
When I lived in greater Wash. D.C. most wanted to move south, but not too far like all the way to Florida.
I was in Vegas next and I wanted the heck out after 10 years there. Many Californians were moving into Vegas, but that
wasn't why I wanted out. I wanted a "normal city" with some natural charm. Vegas has none of that! lol
Phoenix was an improvement and I liked it very much. As said earlier in this thread it is made up of Midwesterners for sure.
Heck it's Chicago of the desert.
I lived in the Californian desert next, and I had many golfing buddies that were from Portland and Seattle (snowbirds they were).
They always said the droves of Californians coming to their cities was out of control. It really pissed them off.
Californians are great people in my book. If I made 800k a year and only had to commute 3 miles max to work each way daily
I would take living there for sure. Anywhere Seal Beach south to La Jolla would be fine!
I am really far from that income level though.
Nobody wants to leave Asheville and after being here 5 years I understand.

Still I'm a born and raised proud Michigander at heart.
CKLW (which old guys here knows what that is?)
Tigers baseball
Lakes
Boating
Fishing
....and cars baby!

Remember change is good.
Hybrid - PING Raptor
Irons - PING i5
Putter - Odyssey

#50 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1780

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

touch, on 01 June 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

First, when I lived in Metro Detroit, everyone wanted to escape to almost anywhere else.
When I lived in greater Wash. D.C. most wanted to move south, but not too far like all the way to Florida.
I was in Vegas next and I wanted the heck out after 10 years there. Many Californians were moving into Vegas, but that
wasn't why I wanted out. I wanted a "normal city" with some natural charm. Vegas has none of that! lol
Phoenix was an improvement and I liked it very much. As said earlier in this thread it is made up of Midwesterners for sure.
I lived in the Californian desert next, and I had many golfing buddies that were from Portland and Seattle (snowbirds they were).
They always said the droves of Californians coming to their cities was out of control. It really pissed them off.
Californians are great people in my book. If I made 800k a year and only had to commute 3 miles max to work each way daily
I would take living there for sure. Anywhere Seal Beach south to La Jolla would be fine!

Tigers baseball
Lakes
Boating
Fishing
....and cars baby!

Remember change is good.

I'm a Michigan guy as well.....  Grew up in Commerce (Metro Detroit), went to Michigan State and moved away.  Chicago, Jackson MS, then settled in Franklin TN (25 minutes south of downtown Nashville).

I'm just grouping Californians into a big lump of people, actually some of my really good friends here are from there.  They escaped the taxes, crazy real estate and insane laws to come to a more "normal" place.  But they're one of the first ones to speak up against being careful that the California "values" don't spread as their home state has become tough to live in.

But in terms of Austin, this was the line that people moving into town tried to cross....  http://kxan.com/2015...late-bbq-smoke/
Rumor has it that movement was led by out-of-towners, mainly from CA.  Plus, have you been to Austin lately?  It's a liberal, hipster free for all.....  Great if it's your thing....  Nashville is actually kind of moving that way.  They just elected a very liberal mayor.

Edited by highergr0und, 01 June 2017 - 02:57 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

highergr0und, on 01 June 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

touch, on 01 June 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Tigers baseball
Lakes
Boating
Fishing
....and cars baby!

Remember change is good.

I'm a Michigan guy as well.....  Grew up in Commerce (Metro Detroit), went to Michigan State and moved away.  Chicago, Jackson MS, then settled in Franklin TN (25 minutes south of downtown Nashville).

I'm just grouping Californians into a big lump of people, actually some of my really good friends here are from there.  They escaped the taxes, crazy real estate and insane laws to come to a more "normal" place.  But they're one of the first ones to speak up against being careful that the California "values" don't spread as their home state has become tough to live in.

But in terms of Austin, this was the line that people moving into town tried to cross....  http://kxan.com/2015...late-bbq-smoke/
Rumor has it that movement was led by out-of-towners, mainly from CA.  Plus, have you been to Austin lately?  It's a liberal, hipster free for all.....  Great if it's your thing....  Nashville is actually kind of moving that way.  They just elected a very liberal mayor.
Yes. Facts are facts and if you live in Davidson County, you are under some rough stuff. Luckily, you live south of that community so you are okay my friend.

#52 STPBMW

STPBMW

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451532
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:36 PM

Northern Minnesota would be a culture shock, for the kids especially. The twin cities area is a great place to live.

#53 touch

touch

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:41 AM

2ball, on 23 May 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

1puttTUT, on 23 May 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

My favorite places in the country (excluding CA): Asheville, NC; Denver/Golden, CO; Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ; Traverse City, MI

Traverse City is the only one you could say is really on a coast (Lake Michigan) but the winters are a little rough compared to where you're from.

A little... that's putting it mildly

Lake Effect snows.... brutal
Decent Skiing though up there.
But when can you expect to get your first round of golf in?
Late April?

Edited by touch, 02 June 2017 - 06:54 AM.

Hybrid - PING Raptor
Irons - PING i5
Putter - Odyssey

#54 touch

touch

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:47 AM

Excellent statement.
Kind of rough?
How about over just a ways from TC is Gaylord.
141 inches of annual snow fall!
That's northern Michigan.
The average US city gets 26 inches!
Every pickup has a plow on it.
And spring hits on Memorial Day.
Brutal
Lol

Edited by touch, 02 June 2017 - 06:48 AM.

Hybrid - PING Raptor
Irons - PING i5
Putter - Odyssey

#55 touch

touch

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

touch, on 02 June 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

2ball, on 23 May 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

1puttTUT, on 23 May 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

My favorite places in the country (excluding CA): Asheville, NC; Denver/Golden, CO; Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ; Traverse City, MI

Traverse City is the only one you could say is really on a coast (Lake Michigan) but the winters are a little rough compared to where you're from.

A little... that's putting it mildly

Good call 2ball

Edited by touch, 02 June 2017 - 06:52 AM.

Hybrid - PING Raptor
Irons - PING i5
Putter - Odyssey

#56 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Well, I plan to assimilate wherever I end up. That's what my friends who left have done, too. California is in real trouble. But I won't get into politics...

#57 gambit

gambit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120529
GolfWRX Likes : 634

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

I live in the Bay Area and pretty much love everything except for the traffic. When I have talked about moving I always think of San Diego, Portland, Atlanta area, Seattle, and Nashville...that's about it.
Cobra BCP w/ AD DI 6x
TEE CB Pro 16.5* w/ AD-GT 8x
Tour Issue Aeroburner 5HL 21* w/ AD-GT 8x
Adams Pro Mini 24* w/ DI 95x
Miura 57 CB 5-P w/ Steelfiber i95S
Miura New Wedge Series 51, 55, 59 w/ KBS Tour Wedge Shafts
Byron Morgan DH89 or 612

#58 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

I tell ya what I'm watching Austin City Limits (great show), and most of the audience look like californians to me. The great exodus is underway..

#59 JMG_02

JMG_02

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30463
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

As a native Texas, stay away from Houston.  I wouldn't live in that city except under extreme circumstances.  As others have said, the humidity is downright ridiculous.  I'm talking about walking outside in December and your glasses fog up and it feels like you just walked into a bathroom that you wife just used up all the hot water in an hour long shower.

Yes, it gets hot.  Really hot.  

The hill country is pretty popular now (relatively low humidity and great weather just about all year).  San Antonio and west of there.  Austin is great as previously mentioned.

#60 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

Texsport, on 24 May 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

I go back and forth between Texas Gulf Coast and northern Minnesota.

No state income tax in Texas makes it my home.

100 golf courses in Houston area, but 75% private.

California is different/strange to outsiders, so if you're looking to recapture CA elsewhere - that'll be tough!

Closest to CA is probably Austin, TX.

Texsport

Nowhere NEAR 75% private. Not even close.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors