Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Escaping California Thread


81 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

Ok, let's be sure to not get political on this one. But, I certainly welcome constructive input.

After growing up here and spending most of my life here in Cali the wife and I have been seriously considering making our escape in the near future. I'm a few years out as I plan to hit an early retirement then jet. All of my family has left, I'm the last one here. Dad and brother are in Nevada - Reno and Carson. Mom's in Florida. I'm an old dad and my kids will still be in school so we're looking for a family-friendly place with good schools. We've traveled very little so far but will start taking some trips to further our research. I have a short list so far. One place that intrigues me, on paper, is Portland, TX. Where are you, and what places do you think are worth looking at? I'd prefer good golf, close to a coast, good schools, affordable.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

    Lefty with occasional game

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Joined: 12/29/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:6.4
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Are you picky about the weather?
Cobra LTD 11.5D w/ Elements Chrome 6F4
TM M2 16.5* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 19* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 5-PW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist 714 AP2 GW w/ Nippon Modus3 120s
Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB2

2

#3 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

 1puttTUT, on 22 May 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

Are you picky about the weather?
Good question. I have spent plenty of time in the Pacific NW and was able to function fine in the rain. My family probably wouldn't like it. I understand the weather in TX can be wild, and Portland is known for wind. Coming from the land of fruits and nuts here in Cali I expect, weather-wise, anything else would take some adjustment. Northern Minnesota would be fine with me but my family would think we're on Neptune, for example. We deal with a fair amount of heat where we live now - over 100 very often.

3

#4 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1786

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

Phoenix?  Obviously not close to a coast but would probably check most of the boxes.  Great golf, great weather for 8 or so months.  Since I moved here in October, I have come to liken Phoenix to west coast meets the Midwest.  It's kind of a west coast style of living/life with mostly people whom have relocated from the Midwest.  So you have a great quality of life with the easy going, laid back, polite people of the Midwest.  It's a really good vibe.  There are a ton of great outdoor activities to do and all of them are quickly and easily accessed.  Cost of living is only slightly above average (its like 10% more expensive than Columbus, Ohio (where I moved from), and Columbus is considered relatively cheap).  Schools can be hit or miss but there are some really good options for solid public schools.

It's also a really easy city to travel from.  San Diego is drivable in 5-6 hours (or is a really short flight).  You can fly direct to a ton of great areas in an hour and a half or so.

Judging by looking at Portland, Tx, which is directly on the coast, I am assuming you are placing a higher value on being near a coast though?
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

4

#5 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    The past we can't change. The future we can't predict.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 8718

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

It's funny how you call it 'escaping'. Hotel California is a weird place. I moved to the bay area from Jersey, and 5 yrs later I escaped back to Jersey. I'm not saying that Jersey is a paradise, but..

I would check out Austin, Nashville, or Ashville NC.

So there is really only here and now

5

#6 CommerceTiger

CommerceTiger

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257846
  • Joined: 06/22/2013
  • Location:Commerce, GA
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1057

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

Charleston maybe?
Adams Fast 12LS w/ Motore Speeder TS
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
TM RSI Tours w/ Nippon NS Pro 950
Cleveland RTX 588 52* and TM Tour Preferred 58*
Nike Method Matter B5
WITB Link

6

#7 CEPick

CEPick

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83060
  • Joined: 05/16/2009
  • Location:Charlottesville,VA
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

I would check out coastal town in North and South Carolina.

7

#8 RIRider

RIRider

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148057
  • Joined: 11/22/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

 CEPick, on 23 May 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

I would check out coastal town in North and South Carolina.
North Carolina has drastically cut back funding to their education system over the past few years. That might not bode well for somebody that's concerned about their kids education.

8

#9 CHuntsman

CHuntsman

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460084
  • Joined: 03/22/2017
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

Savannah is a great place to retire, or so i am told.
Adidas CrossFlex
Adidas Crossknit Boost
Puma FAAS Lite
Puma FAAS Lite "Splatter Edition"
Puma TitanTour Ignite Hi-Tops
Nike Air Zoom 90 IT Infrared
Nike Lunar Control Vapor
Nike Lunar Control 4's
Nike Air Jordan XIII

Titleist 915D2
Titleist 913H
Titleist 716 AP1's
Titleist SM6 52*
Titleist SM4 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist ProV1

9

#10 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

Thanks, all, for the input. I understand that Charleston is beautiful. I do love being near the coast - beachcombing and fishing. Been to Arizona a few times and liked it, though. I have a fondness for Flagstaff and Sedona. I have had several fellow California friends go to Texas. Two didn't like it. One lived in a golf community near Houston and eventually came back to San Diego (no kids, lots of money). My coworker loves sailing and will be headed to the Houston area when we both jump ship here.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#11 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

    Lefty with occasional game

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Joined: 12/29/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:6.4
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

My favorite places in the country (excluding CA): Asheville, NC; Denver/Golden, CO; Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ; Traverse City, MI

Traverse City is the only one you could say is really on a coast (Lake Michigan) but the winters are a little rough compared to where you're from.
Cobra LTD 11.5D w/ Elements Chrome 6F4
TM M2 16.5* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 19* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 5-PW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist 714 AP2 GW w/ Nippon Modus3 120s
Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB2

11

#12 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1786

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

View Post1puttTUT, on 23 May 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

My favorite places in the country (excluding CA): Asheville, NC; Denver/Golden, CO; Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ; Traverse City, MI

Traverse City is the only one you could say is really on a coast (Lake Michigan) but the winters are a little rough compared to where you're from.

TC is an awesome place.... But it's really only awesome from like mid May to the end of Oct.  I like snow and we ski a lot, so to me TC is pretty in the winter.  But it's kind of a ghost town in the winter.

My ideal life.  Phoenix from Nov 1 - May 31.  Northern Michigan from June 1 - October 31.

I love living in Phoenix.  I have only been since Oct 1.  Coming from the Midwest, this has been basically 8 months of perfect weather.  It's just now starting to get hot.  When we got here Oct 1 it was already below 100 and was perfect.  But yeah, June - mid Sept is going to be brutal.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

12

#13 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

    Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Joined: 01/16/2007
  • Location:Boise, from St. Louis
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 603

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Put Boise on your list. We have to have the highest transplant rate of any city right now. We moved here from the midwest and do not regret one bit of it.
TM SLDR TP Mini 12° - S300
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24° - C Taper 120
Adams MB2 Torched - C Taper 120
Cobra Tour Trusty 50° - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 55° - S300
Nike Engage DS 60° - S300
ProType 2-Ball

13

#14 Johnny4379

Johnny4379

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97333
  • Joined: 10/26/2009
  • Location:San Diego, Ca
GolfWRX Likes : 886

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

You can leave wherever your from, come to California, and then go back pretty easily.
But you leave California, there no going back

14

#15 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 17689

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

I'm not American obviously but have traveled a ton through the US....i love the pacific northwest, i have always said if i moved to the US it would be Portland, Oregon. I have some friends there who love it including one who moved from Montreal. Nice city, kind of small but still a "big city", some nice history, low crime rate, weather not terrible, and proximity to a nice wine valley.....that checks a lot of boxes for me!

Callaway Epic SubZero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 w/S200
Callaway MD3 Milled 60/9 w/S300
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

15

#16 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    The past we can't change. The future we can't predict.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 8718

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 23 May 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

I'm not American obviously but have traveled a ton through the US....i love the pacific northwest, i have always said if i moved to the US it would be Portland, Oregon. I have some friends there who love it including one who moved from Montreal. Nice city, kind of small but still a "big city", some nice history, low crime rate, weather not terrible, and proximity to a nice wine valley.....that checks a lot of boxes for me!

Gotta agree Portland is an awesome area.  It is pretty wet though. I have played golf there during work trips and more than once almost got my shoes sucked off my feet from the mud.  One of the courses was a par 3 12 hole course, brewery, distillery, and restaurant. Greens fees included a pint of beer you were supposed to take out on the course with you. Great culture, very free and creative. You gotta get some tats and piercings though..

Edit: although every time I have been there I would occasionally look up at Mt Rainier and think 'not today big guy please'..

Edited by thug the bunny, 23 May 2017 - 08:33 PM.

So there is really only here and now

16

#17 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 17689

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

View Postthug the bunny, on 23 May 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 23 May 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

I'm not American obviously but have traveled a ton through the US....i love the pacific northwest, i have always said if i moved to the US it would be Portland, Oregon. I have some friends there who love it including one who moved from Montreal. Nice city, kind of small but still a "big city", some nice history, low crime rate, weather not terrible, and proximity to a nice wine valley.....that checks a lot of boxes for me!

Gotta agree Portland is an awesome area.  It is pretty wet though. I have played golf there during work trips and more than once almost got my shoes sucked off my feet from the mud.  One of the courses was a par 3 12 hole course, brewery, distillery, and restaurant. Greens fees included a pint of beer you were supposed to take out on the course with you. Great culture, very free and creative. You gotta get some tats and piercings though..

Edit: although every time I have been there I would occasionally look up at Mt Rainier and think 'not today big guy please'..

That is one great thing about the northeast. Winter can suck but no active volcanos or tectonic plates really.

The earthquake threat out west in our lifetime is something I'd rather not read or think about. I think most just put their hands over their ears and say "LA LA LA"

Edited by MtlJeff, 23 May 2017 - 08:47 PM.

Callaway Epic SubZero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56 w/S200
Callaway MD3 Milled 60/9 w/S300
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

17

#18 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    The past we can't change. The future we can't predict.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 8718

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 23 May 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 23 May 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 23 May 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

I'm not American obviously but have traveled a ton through the US....i love the pacific northwest, i have always said if i moved to the US it would be Portland, Oregon. I have some friends there who love it including one who moved from Montreal. Nice city, kind of small but still a "big city", some nice history, low crime rate, weather not terrible, and proximity to a nice wine valley.....that checks a lot of boxes for me!

Gotta agree Portland is an awesome area.  It is pretty wet though. I have played golf there during work trips and more than once almost got my shoes sucked off my feet from the mud.  One of the courses was a par 3 12 hole course, brewery, distillery, and restaurant. Greens fees included a pint of beer you were supposed to take out on the course with you. Great culture, very free and creative. You gotta get some tats and piercings though..

Edit: although every time I have been there I would occasionally look up at Mt Rainier and think 'not today big guy please'..

That is one great thing about the northeast. Winter can suck but no active volcanos or tectonic plates really.

The earthquake threat out west in our lifetime is something I'd rather not read or think about. I think most just put their hands over their ears and say "LA LA LA"

There is an awareness out there, but it's like the Coyote holding up the little umbrella in response to the boulder that is about to crush him. I think that the subduction fault zone around Seattle and Rainier are both like 500 yrs overdue?

I experienced a few little 4's when I lived in the bay area. They are very spooky, feeling your building moving. But, I was about 10 mi from the epicenter of the DC quake about 5 yrs ago. First just some gentle shaking, then, computers and equipment starting doing little dances, and I was out of there. Very eye opening, I can't imagine a really big natural cataclysm.
So there is really only here and now

18

#19 2ball

2ball

    LEFTY

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15610
  • Joined: 06/20/2006
  • Location:Was - Chicago Now in - Orange County, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:46 PM

View PostRIRider, on 23 May 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

View PostCEPick, on 23 May 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

I would check out coastal town in North and South Carolina.
North Carolina has drastically cut back funding to their education system over the past few years. That might not bode well for somebody that's concerned about their kids education.

but Cali is ranked 45th out 50 states in pre-k through 12th grade education
   - US News

Edited by 2ball, 23 May 2017 - 11:46 PM.


19

#20 2ball

2ball

    LEFTY

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15610
  • Joined: 06/20/2006
  • Location:Was - Chicago Now in - Orange County, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

View Post1puttTUT, on 23 May 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

My favorite places in the country (excluding CA): Asheville, NC; Denver/Golden, CO; Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ; Traverse City, MI

Traverse City is the only one you could say is really on a coast (Lake Michigan) but the winters are a little rough compared to where you're from.

A little... that's putting it mildly


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

    Lefty with occasional game

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Joined: 12/29/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:6.4
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

View Post2ball, on 23 May 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

View Post1puttTUT, on 23 May 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

My favorite places in the country (excluding CA): Asheville, NC; Denver/Golden, CO; Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ; Traverse City, MI

Traverse City is the only one you could say is really on a coast (Lake Michigan) but the winters are a little rough compared to where you're from.

A little... that's putting it mildly

It's all relative I suppose
Cobra LTD 11.5D w/ Elements Chrome 6F4
TM M2 16.5* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 19* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 5-PW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist 714 AP2 GW w/ Nippon Modus3 120s
Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB2

21

#22 CEPick

CEPick

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83060
  • Joined: 05/16/2009
  • Location:Charlottesville,VA
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:37 AM

View PostRIRider, on 23 May 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

View PostCEPick, on 23 May 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

I would check out coastal town in North and South Carolina.
North Carolina has drastically cut back funding to their education system over the past few years. That might not bode well for somebody that's concerned about their kids education.
I wasn't aware of those stats but I'm not 100% sure that abundance of funding means great schools or teachers.

22

#23 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

California schools are not performing all that well. Getting our kids a decent public education has been surprisingly challenging. If you aren't heavily involved the kids often just get stockpiled.

23

#24 pappaf2

pappaf2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 23 May 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 23 May 2017 - 08:23 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 23 May 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

I'm not American obviously but have traveled a ton through the US....i love the pacific northwest, i have always said if i moved to the US it would be Portland, Oregon. I have some friends there who love it including one who moved from Montreal. Nice city, kind of small but still a "big city", some nice history, low crime rate, weather not terrible, and proximity to a nice wine valley.....that checks a lot of boxes for me!

Gotta agree Portland is an awesome area.  It is pretty wet though. I have played golf there during work trips and more than once almost got my shoes sucked off my feet from the mud.  One of the courses was a par 3 12 hole course, brewery, distillery, and restaurant. Greens fees included a pint of beer you were supposed to take out on the course with you. Great culture, very free and creative. You gotta get some tats and piercings though..

Edit: although every time I have been there I would occasionally look up at Mt Rainier and think 'not today big guy please'..

That is one great thing about the northeast. Winter can suck but no active volcanos or tectonic plates really.

The earthquake threat out west in our lifetime is something I'd rather not read or think about. I think most just put their hands over their ears and say "LA LA LA"

Not sure if you are serious about the no tectonic plates. When the Cascadia Fault goes it will obliterate Portland and Seattle

http://www.cnn.com/2...ne-earthquakes/
We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

24

#25 pappaf2

pappaf2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostPixlPutterman, on 23 May 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Put Boise on your list. We have to have the highest transplant rate of any city right now. We moved here from the midwest and do not regret one bit of it.
Boise always intrigues me. A couple questions:
How is the winter? How often do you get snow accumulation? How many months a year can you play golf realistically?
Do you fly much out of Boise airport? Is it a big enough airport to get plenty of flights places at a reasonable cost?

Edited by pappaf2, 24 May 2017 - 05:53 PM.

We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

25

#26 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

    Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Joined: 01/16/2007
  • Location:Boise, from St. Louis
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 603

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

View Postpappaf2, on 24 May 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostPixlPutterman, on 23 May 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Put Boise on your list. We have to have the highest transplant rate of any city right now. We moved here from the midwest and do not regret one bit of it.
Boise always intrigues me. A couple questions:
How is the winter? How often do you get snow accumulation? How many months a year can you play golf realistically?
Do you fly much out of Boise airport? Is it a big enough airport to get plenty of flights places at a reasonable cost?


We had record snow fall this winter but normally Winters are mild, though it does get single digit cold, but still enough snow to fill the ski resorts we have. The city is flat so even when it does snow driving isn't overly difficult (I'm from the Midwest so I'm a competent winter driver)


We can realistically  play golf from Late March till October, but some years maybe a tad more.

As far as flying, it's very reasonable, though my wife works for a small airline so I haven't payed attention to regular rates. Where are you in Cali?

My favorite things are low humidity and predicable consistent seasons, compared to sticky bipolar weather I came from

Edited by PixlPutterman , 24 May 2017 - 06:10 PM.

TM SLDR TP Mini 12° - S300
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24° - C Taper 120
Adams MB2 Torched - C Taper 120
Cobra Tour Trusty 50° - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 55° - S300
Nike Engage DS 60° - S300
ProType 2-Ball

26

#27 pappaf2

pappaf2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

View PostPixlPutterman, on 24 May 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

View Postpappaf2, on 24 May 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostPixlPutterman, on 23 May 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Put Boise on your list. We have to have the highest transplant rate of any city right now. We moved here from the midwest and do not regret one bit of it.
Boise always intrigues me. A couple questions:
How is the winter? How often do you get snow accumulation? How many months a year can you play golf realistically?
Do you fly much out of Boise airport? Is it a big enough airport to get plenty of flights places at a reasonable cost?


We had record snow fall this winter but normally Winters are mild, though it does get single digit cold, but still enough snow to fill the ski resorts we have. The city is flat so even when it does snow driving isn't overly difficult (I'm from the Midwest so I'm a competent winter driver)


We can realistically  play golf from Late March till October, but some years maybe a tad more.

As far as flying, it's very reasonable, though my wife works for a small airline so I haven't payed attention to regular rates. Where are you in Cali?

My favorite things are low humidity and predicable consistent seasons, compared to sticky bipolar weather I came from
I'm the bay area about 45 minutes from SF. Realistically my wife and I aren't leaving here (majority of family is here) but when we do talk about if we were to leave Boise always comes up as a possibility.
We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

27

#28 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

    Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Joined: 01/16/2007
  • Location:Boise, from St. Louis
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 603

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

View Postpappaf2, on 24 May 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostPixlPutterman, on 24 May 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

View Postpappaf2, on 24 May 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostPixlPutterman, on 23 May 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

Put Boise on your list. We have to have the highest transplant rate of any city right now. We moved here from the midwest and do not regret one bit of it.
Boise always intrigues me. A couple questions:
How is the winter? How often do you get snow accumulation? How many months a year can you play golf realistically?
Do you fly much out of Boise airport? Is it a big enough airport to get plenty of flights places at a reasonable cost?


We had record snow fall this winter but normally Winters are mild, though it does get single digit cold, but still enough snow to fill the ski resorts we have. The city is flat so even when it does snow driving isn't overly difficult (I'm from the Midwest so I'm a competent winter driver)


We can realistically  play golf from Late March till October, but some years maybe a tad more.

As far as flying, it's very reasonable, though my wife works for a small airline so I haven't payed attention to regular rates. Where are you in Cali?

My favorite things are low humidity and predicable consistent seasons, compared to sticky bipolar weather I came from
I'm the bay area about 45 minutes from SF. Realistically my wife and I aren't leaving here (majority of family is here) but when we do talk about if we were to leave Boise always comes up as a possibility.
If you were near LA I could get you here pretty cheap on my wife's airline. It's a fantastic place to raise a family 30 minutes from some of the best outdoor life in the country.
TM SLDR TP Mini 12° - S300
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24° - C Taper 120
Adams MB2 Torched - C Taper 120
Cobra Tour Trusty 50° - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 55° - S300
Nike Engage DS 60° - S300
ProType 2-Ball

28

#29 Texsport

Texsport

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
  • Joined: 04/24/2005
  • Location:Lone Star State & The Land Of Sky Blue Waters
GolfWRX Likes : 823

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

I go back and forth between Texas Gulf Coast and northern Minnesota.

No state income tax in Texas makes it my home.

100 golf courses in Houston area, but 75% private.

California is different/strange to outsiders, so if you're looking to recapture CA elsewhere - that'll be tough!

Closest to CA is probably Austin, TX.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 24 May 2017 - 06:55 PM.

Callaway EPIC SubZero 10.5*/Mitsubishi Tensei Orange V2 60TX Prototype
Titleist 915 15*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 915 18*/Fubukik K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club)
MacGregor PRO M 5-PM/Aldila RIP Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 62*/DG S-200
Bettinardi Studio Stock #16/ MannKrafted 400 Gm. Brass Big Boy

29

#30 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

I have heard good things about Boise. I do need to take the family to see it. I've also heard great things about Austin. I laughed when I saw Tom Kite interviewed on the tv during the PGA tourney there. "We love to have you come visit, just don't stay." Californians have flooded into Austin. But, they've flooded into many nice places.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors