Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putting drills

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:11 AM

Can anyone suggest any fun games for putting drills?   Mine struggles a lot with speed control, seems like it at times she's afraid to truly hit it

What putting drills do you guys do with your juniorss?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Browns71213

Browns71213

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428076
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

I subscribe to this blog that recently posted some putting games.

https://www.golfgear...ng-games-drills
Calloway Big Bertha 460 9* Driver
Cleveland HiBore XLS S 13* 3 Wood
Kasco Super Hyten K2K 33 16* Hybrid
Kasco Super Hyten K2K 44 19* Hybrid
Original King Cobra Irons 4-SW
Snake Eyes 58* Wedge
Odyssey Versa #7H 35" Putter

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

If the problem is distance control, you need to take the cup out of the equation.

Speed Control Drill.
You need 3 tees and a quarter.
Place 2 tees 15 feet apart.
Place another tee 9 feet away from the tee you will be putting from.
The goal on the first ball is to put the putt past the 9 foot marking tee.  If you do not get it past the tee then you start over.  Once the ball is past the tee, you place the quarter down to mark the ball.  That counts as 1 point.  You try to see how many balls you can fit in between the mark and the 15 foot tee.  5 points is a good score.  If at any time you come up short, you have finished the drill.  As they get better at the drill you can progress to moving the tee to 10 feet then 11ft and so on.

I usually set this up on an uphill lie.  We do it until he can get to 5 points twice.  We then reverse so he is putting on a downhill lie and don't forget to move the middle tee.

#4 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Not a fan of drills but we love games and competition.  In '11' you play against someone from the same spot to a hole.  A putt that's holed is worth 3 points. A putt that goes two footsteps past the hole is worth one point.  Any putt short or outside of that two footsteps past the hole is minus 2 points.  First person to 11 wins.  You can add some flavor by making it so that you have to get exactly 11 to win or if you make on top of the other player you get six points and they get zero.

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

I will say this about distance control.  Everyone struggles with it.  I see too many parents asking their kids "Why did you just run the putt 6 feet by?"  Kids don't try to run putts 6 feet by.  It is something they need to work on.  If you are harping on your kid about running it 6 feet by then he isn't thinking about that 6 foot come backer.  He is thinking about his parent being upset that he ran it by 6 feet.  We spend a lot of time on 1 foot to 6 foot putts.  Do I care if my kid runs a putt 6 foot by?  Yeah, I am not going to lie, because it is a concern.  However, I never say anything to him about it in a tournament because in the back of my mind I know he has practiced 10's of thousands of putts 6 feet and in.  PGA Tour guys run putts 6 feet by.  Jason Day lost missing one close to that last night.  Who cares?  Really, that is the attitude you have to have.  Work on Putting in practice on the putting green, don't bring it up in a tournament.  I bring up things like control your tempo.  Smooth out your putter.  Feel the face.

To me, distance control problems at early ages are caused by not having a consistent tempo.  A kid sees a 4 foot putt and he is able to control it.  A kid sees a 30 foot putt and all of a sudden the tempo in the putt changes.  The tempo has to be consistent and you change the distance by how far back you bring the putter.  When you don't control the tempo, putting can be a disaster.  Everyone has been there.

#6 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 402

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

I went thru this with my girls since they are all pretty much just starting and dont have a clue on touch/speed...here is what I have done with them and it worked really well...

Set up an alignment stick about 18inches behind the hole...put a tee at 6 ft, 9 ft, 12 ft, and 15 ft...have them putt a ball from each tee...they have to 2 putt every ball without hitting the stick...if they hit the stick or 3 putt, they start over at 6ft...once they have gone thru all 4 of them 3 times, i back up the front tee to 18 ft and have them start over.

I read about a similar drill from an LPGA pro who set up a stick 2 feet behind the hole....she putted from 10, 15 and 20 ft. Every make was 5 points, anything between the hole and stick was 2 points, if it hit the stick minus 5 points and if it was left short minus 3 points (something like this)...she gave herself a total to reach from each spot and stayed there until that total was reached.

#7 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

This is what worked for my daughter.  

first part of the drill is find to where they feel like they can make 95% of the puts from Let's say it's 1 foot. Put 10 balls in a circle and put them all in.  Have keep a personal record an see if they can beat it.

Once there feel like they hit a certain goal say 10 or 20 in a row move the circle out 6 inches. The bigger they can make this circle the more birdies they will make.

The second part is doing long putts around the green from farther locations  and make the shots random. The goal is to get it in or within that circle that they feel they can make the putt on the next shot. If you can make 6 feet putts 99% of the time then it is not a big deal to go past the hole a few feet.  When your making the long putt the goals is to make 2 strokes or less.   Keep a tally of record and see how many times they can do this in a row.  

Most pga's pro's even the best putters on tour will not make most long putts in one stoke.  The stats say they might only sink 5 or 10% from that distance. The key is they almost never 3 putt.

Edited by tiger1873, 22 May 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#8 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

Another drill for distance control is to find the collar of a green and come off about 3ft and put a tee down. Then back up from the collar at the following distances and put a tee down (15ft, 25, 35). Hit 10 putts from each tee and try to lag the ball between the collar and the tee you put down at 3ft. For every ball that you lag in, you get a point. How many points can you get from each distance or you can set a total point amount that you have to achieve or you start over. You can adapt the game to be an uphill or downhill putt.

#9 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

Golfingdawg19, on 22 May 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

Another drill for distance control is to find the collar of a green and come off about 3ft and put a tee down. Then back up from the collar at the following distances and put a tee down (15ft, 25, 35). Hit 10 putts from each tee and try to lag the ball between the collar and the tee you put down at 3ft. For every ball that you lag in, you get a point. How many points can you get from each distance or you can set a total point amount that you have to achieve or you start over. You can adapt the game to be an uphill or downhill putt.

We do this drill as well.  

I dislike putting at a cup for distance control drills.  To me it defeats what the purpose of the drill or game really is.  If you add a cup into the mix it becomes you trying to make the putt and that is not the object of distance control drills.  This is a very good drill.

#10 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

My son's biggest putting problem is like everyone else's and that is speed.  Where he is different is that he is short of the cup 90% of the time.  Why is he short...well...I may have been frustrated one tournament watching him blow another putt 6' past the hole.  Please take Heavy_hitter's advice above.  DO NOT get on your kid during a tournament about blowing it past the hole.  Why????? because then they will do something worse and leave it SHORT!!!

My son is weird and loves doing drills so here is a list of the ones he likes to do.
  • 3' feet from the hole and make 10 in a row while putting through tees that barely pass the putting through.  This is Tiger's drill
  • 3' from the hole and you do 5 putts.  1st putt lands in the middle of the cup. 2nd hits the back of the putt. 3rd barely drops into the front. 4th enters the cup on the left side. 5th enters the cup on the right side.  Pretty easy on a straight uphill putt...pretty hard on a downhill breaking putt
  • put a stick 3' past a hole and place balls 15', 18', 21', 24' and 27' away.  All 5 must stop in the 3' area past the hole
  • Spieth drill...just easier if I link the article.  Very tough drill   http://www.mytpi.com...h_jordan_spieth
  • 6' drill...10 balls 6' around the cup. 2 points if you make it, zero points if you 2 putt but 1st putt is past the hole. -1 point if you 2 putt and first putt did not go past the hole. -3 points of you three putt.  Goal for 6' is 16 points. Then do it for 10' and 15' around the cup.  If you can this on the 15' around the cup with 6 or more points you are doing well.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

heavy_hitter, on 22 May 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Golfingdawg19, on 22 May 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

We do this drill as well.  

I dislike putting at a cup for distance control drills.  To me it defeats what the purpose of the drill or game really is.  If you add a cup into the mix it becomes you trying to make the putt and that is not the object of distance control drills.  This is a very good drill.

I am going to have to add this one to the list.  Make sense to take the cup out of the equation

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

Palmetto Golfer, on 22 May 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

My son's biggest putting problem is like everyone else's and that is speed.  Where he is different is that he is short of the cup 90% of the time.  Why is he short...well...I may have been frustrated one tournament watching him blow another putt 6' past the hole.  Please take Heavy_hitter's advice above.  DO NOT get on your kid during a tournament about blowing it past the hole.  Why????? because then they will do something worse and leave it SHORT!!!

My son is weird and loves doing drills so here is a list of the ones he likes to do.
  • 3' feet from the hole and make 10 in a row while putting through tees that barely pass the putting through.  This is Tiger's drill
  • 3' from the hole and you do 5 putts.  1st putt lands in the middle of the cup. 2nd hits the back of the putt. 3rd barely drops into the front. 4th enters the cup on the left side. 5th enters the cup on the right side.  Pretty easy on a straight uphill putt...pretty hard on a downhill breaking putt
  • put a stick 3' past a hole and place balls 15', 18', 21', 24' and 27' away.  All 5 must stop in the 3' area past the hole
  • Spieth drill...just easier if I link the article.  Very tough drill   http://www.mytpi.com...h_jordan_spieth
  • 6' drill...10 balls 6' around the cup. 2 points if you make it, zero points if you 2 putt but 1st putt is past the hole. -1 point if you 2 putt and first putt did not go past the hole. -3 points of you three putt.  Goal for 6' is 16 points. Then do it for 10' and 15' around the cup.  If you can this on the 15' around the cup with 6 or more points you are doing well.

Another Drill my sons coach gave him...
Hit 3 putts from 6', 10', 15', 20'.  Each one has a different pace.  Before the shot you have to call firm, medium, or slow.  Doesn't matter if they go in.  Doesn't matter if they are 2' short or 10' long.  The goal is for the firm putt to be the longest, slow putt to be the shortest, and the medium putt to in between.  Some people may think this is a distance control drill, but it isn't.  This is to show you there are 3 different ways to make a putt using different speeds with different lines.  Firm should be no more than 4' past the hole.

Just some fun games.... Not Distance control is

Hole Switch...  Two people pick a hole 15', 20', 30', even 40' apart.  You both putt the a ball until the first person makes it.  This helps with distance control, but we don't use it as a distance control drill.  After the first person makes it you switch sides.

We have 9 holes on our putting green.  So we play match play putting 18 holes.  Goal is to avoid 3 putts.

Sometimes they are going to randomly throw one by the hole.  It is going to happen.  You have to practice enough putts inside of 10 ft. to make them feel comfortable making that come backer.  Bottom Line is Sometimes in a round you are going to have to make a putt.  Good players at times are still going to run a putt by.

#13 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.1
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

This is what I rate as sort of the definitive practice putting thread on the site:

http://www.golfwrx.c...actice-putting/

In particular, Juan73's doc regarding his drills and prep for the WGHOF putting tournament.
Callaway GBB 9*, Rogue Silver I/O 60 S
Callaway 816 14*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway 816, 18*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Taylormade P-790, 4-AW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Callaway MD3 56* & PM-60* Recoil 110 F4 +1"
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black, 36"

#14 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:04 PM

chalk line, straight putts 3ft-10ft.

And drills to help recognize the degree of slope, aimpoint express is very easy to structure and teach in sections.

Many have said distance control, but drilling distance control comes from experience and trial and error.  It's a much less linear skill to practice and requires more abstract thinking.  Abstract thinking develops slower than concrete and linear thinking and I have seen juniors get more benefit out of drills where success or failure is more easily defined.

Putting balls on the chalkline will quickly re calibrate and expose a crooked stroke.  Aimpoint drills will teach concepts to define the slope of the putts and the speed of greens.

During the practice and application of these concrete principles abstract and critical thinking will take care of the distance control.

Every putt is a straight putt. (Chalkline)  Distance control is predicated by teh speed of the greens. (Aimpoint)  Direction, break is determined by defining the degree of slope usually 1-4 degrees (Aimpoint)
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

#15 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

My daughter is 9 and just started playing on the US Kids Tour. She has a very good swing without me working with her at all and has already started shooting in the 40's. Her biggest weakness is putting and the feel aspect. She is so worried about hitting it to far or to short so she just try's to steer the putt versus trusting it. Her coach used a drill the other day that I really like. When she is set to putt, he puts his hand over the left side of her face so she can't see the hole. When she hits the putt, he makes her tell him where she thinks it went. It's amazing how well she putts when she doesn't think about it because she can't see the hole. She can also tell you pretty accurately where the ball went. You can put your hand, hat, towel, or whatever to cover the face.

#16 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:12 AM

heavy_hitter, on 22 May 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

I will say this about distance control.  Everyone struggles with it.  I see too many parents asking their kids "Why did you just run the putt 6 feet by?"  Kids don't try to run putts 6 feet by.  It is something they need to work on.  If you are harping on your kid about running it 6 feet by then he isn't thinking about that 6 foot come backer.  He is thinking about his parent being upset that he ran it by 6 feet.  We spend a lot of time on 1 foot to 6 foot putts.  Do I care if my kid runs a putt 6 foot by?  Yeah, I am not going to lie, because it is a concern.  However, I never say anything to him about it in a tournament because in the back of my mind I know he has practiced 10's of thousands of putts 6 feet and in.  PGA Tour guys run putts 6 feet by.  Jason Day lost missing one close to that last night.  Who cares?  Really, that is the attitude you have to have.  Work on Putting in practice on the putting green, don't bring it up in a tournament.  I bring up things like control your tempo.  Smooth out your putter.  Feel the face.

To me, distance control problems at early ages are caused by not having a consistent tempo.  A kid sees a 4 foot putt and he is able to control it.  A kid sees a 30 foot putt and all of a sudden the tempo in the putt changes.  The tempo has to be consistent and you change the distance by how far back you bring the putter.  When you don't control the tempo, putting can be a disaster.  Everyone has been there.

Speaking of tempo, my youngin' tends to get jabby with the putter so yesterday I read somewhere about putting a coin on the flange and they have to keep it on there throughout the putt.  Really seemed to show him how to smooth out his stroke.

#17 wfwp

wfwp

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71884
  • Handicap:Up
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

With Junior Golfers I like to use this progression
  • Clock/compass drills:  2-3' increments up to 10'  with some slope to get a feel for breaking putts (can make it a game to keep track of holed putts)
  • Ladder:  putt a set of balls to 5'-10'-15'-20'-25' etc,. balls should end in a line equidistant apart; and putt a second set of balls to end up halfway between the balls to reverse the ladder and the balls will end up 2.5' apart when finished.
  • Spiral: set up tees in a spiral around the hole in any increment working from short to long putts.
  • Push (no backswing) putts to hole for face control

Wishon- 919THI Driver, Paderson Kinetixx TS-D2
Wishon- 929HS 4w & 7W, Paderson Kinetixx TS-F
Wishon- 565MC 3i-PW, DG AMT s300
Wishon- LE 50*, 54*, 58*, PX 5.5
Low Tide- Rip Curl (custom) putter
Srixon- ZStar or Snell- MTB
Leupold- Gx4i2 range finder
Best Grips- MicroPerf Leather grips

#18 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

SheriffBooth, on 22 May 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

This is what I rate as sort of the definitive practice putting thread on the site:

http://www.golfwrx.c...actice-putting/

In particular, Juan73's doc regarding his drills and prep for the WGHOF putting tournament.

This is good stuff.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors