Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Window Policy

35 replies to this topic

#31 Skhacker

Skhacker

The Minimalist Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356255
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostLarry The Golfing Doc, on 11 November 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

5k for a window pane is reasonable? I had my old house totally redone with energy efficient windows. Each and every window, installed. From quote to new windows everywhere.  I didn't pay 5k for that. I'd certainly offer to pay for damage that I caused to anything. Within reason. A claim of 5k would make my response an automatic, "see you in court then!"  Lol at anyone that would think a single window pane should top 1k let alone 5. Especially for someone that has their house lining a golf course. If those people don't have a cheap window guy on speedial then all hope is lost. Sounds like a serious shakedown effort to me. The window repair call probably went like this, "hey Roger it's me again. Yeah, yeah. Some hack broke my window again. Sure, 130.00 it is! I hope the kids are well". Lol. Trying to shake the next 36 window repairs out of someone is more shameful than someone that hits one and doesn't claim it.

When I was growing up, I (allegedly) threw a rock through a window in our shed. My dad was insistent on teaching me a lesson so he stated I would have to pay for it. I came home from school and noticed that there was mirrored glass in the window I broke. I remember him telling me "son, the regular glass was 2.00 but I always wanted a mirror there so it costs 100.00". What? That was an infinitesimal sum back then. When I stammered and stuttered around that fact he smiled and said that I was lucky. He just happened to have the mirror around and it cost 0.00. Whew. I'm not sure how I'd have paid for the 100.00 window, and am very glad I didn't have to. Lesson learned however, don't throw rocks at the shed.
You're lucky. Windows in my house were over 100k CDN. Building materials are exponentially more up here. 2200 sq ft house. It's not far fetched at all to have a 5k window imo.

Edited by Skhacker, 12 November 2017 - 11:35 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
  • Handicap:wife
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostSkhacker, on 12 November 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostLarry The Golfing Doc, on 11 November 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

5k for a window pane is reasonable? I had my old house totally redone with energy efficient windows. Each and every window, installed. From quote to new windows everywhere.  I didn't pay 5k for that. I'd certainly offer to pay for damage that I caused to anything. Within reason. A claim of 5k would make my response an automatic, "see you in court then!"  Lol at anyone that would think a single window pane should top 1k let alone 5. Especially for someone that has their house lining a golf course. If those people don't have a cheap window guy on speedial then all hope is lost. Sounds like a serious shakedown effort to me. The window repair call probably went like this, "hey Roger it's me again. Yeah, yeah. Some hack broke my window again. Sure, 130.00 it is! I hope the kids are well". Lol. Trying to shake the next 36 window repairs out of someone is more shameful than someone that hits one and doesn't claim it.

When I was growing up, I (allegedly) threw a rock through a window in our shed. My dad was insistent on teaching me a lesson so he stated I would have to pay for it. I came home from school and noticed that there was mirrored glass in the window I broke. I remember him telling me "son, the regular glass was 2.00 but I always wanted a mirror there so it costs 100.00". What? That was an infinitesimal sum back then. When I stammered and stuttered around that fact he smiled and said that I was lucky. He just happened to have the mirror around and it cost 0.00. Whew. I'm not sure how I'd have paid for the 100.00 window, and am very glad I didn't have to. Lesson learned however, don't throw rocks at the shed.
You're lucky. Windows in my house were over 100k CDN. 2200 sq ft house.

windows in my house over 100k... passive brag... priceless

#33 Spicoli

Spicoli

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254860
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

That window better be stained glass from the Sistine Chapel.  $5k to fix a broken pane sounds like he's getting clipped.

I have broken a window at my prior club.  I voluntarily paid because the homeowner was cool about it and I hit the most vicious screaming snap hook ever.

Sounds like this is an effort to get paid ve get something fixed.  Just my two cents...

#34 Skhacker

Skhacker

The Minimalist Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356255
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

These are "budget" window costs where I am. Lowest grade you can pretty much get.
Most people go for a higher grade and quality so the price is considerably more. Add on labor and installation cost and it's very easy to get to a $5000 window, depending on size.
Posted Image

Edited by Skhacker, 16 November 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#35 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 666

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostSkhacker, on 16 November 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

These are "budget" window costs where I am. Lowest grade you can pretty much get.
Most people go for a higher grade and quality so the price is considerably more. Add on labor and installation cost and it's very easy to get to a $5000 window, depending on size.
Posted Image

I I would imagine that is the entire window, including the frame and all of the separate panes. This person broke 1 single pane of glass. Even if it was a 10' tall sliding glass door, it wouldnt cost $5k to replace that single pane.

I would offer to have it fixed at my expense by a contractor of my choosing, and if they wanted anything else, they could take me to court.

And yes, I do realize this is an old thread.

OP - what ever came about from it?

#36 Reb58

Reb58

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477482
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:Rebel8
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

Private clubs often have rules posted, and when signing in that state you would be responsible for homeowners damages caused by your golf ball.  One of my co-workers lives on such a course and has had damage from golf ball which he talked to the hitter about. He did ask him to pay $100 towards the damage.

As others have said, as as guest
I would have them sue me if he didn't want to discuss deductible and only then if I knew the rule and/or signed acknowledgement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors