Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Bridgestone JGR hybrid forged irons


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 grisham

grisham

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36324
  • Joined: 08/03/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

Picked up a used set of these at a local golf shop. I didn't need a new set of irons but I had some credit and I like the way they performed on the launch monitor. I took them out for a spin yesterday. Wow!!! High and straight! The lofts are really jacked so I had to use one less club than I'm used to. So easy to hit and very forgiving. I know they are ugly but I really like the way they perform. Anyone else tried these?

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_3357.JPG
  • IMG_3358.JPG
  • IMG_3359.JPG


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 mootrail

mootrail

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305945
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

I bagged them for a few months and while they're fun and interesting clubs, my Mizuno JPX EZ Forged are back in the bag.

I never quite got use to the longer shafts and the JDM numbering.  I can't believe I'm complaining about this, but I really hated having to guess which number club I needed for each shot.  I kept a tally sheet of what distance I could expect from each club, but it still didn't really help me.  Especially since the lofts are more then one club strong, along with uneven gapping and the added length made it even harder to decipher what exactly was going to happen.

I'm going to have to be a bit older to enjoy the Zelos 8s.  They are whippy and too light, even in a Stiff.  The clubs are amazingly good looking and you don't notice the massive soles at address except with the longer irons.  I picked these up for a song, so I probably keep them around and maybe try some heavier shafts.

The number one reason I switched back to my Mizunos, is the forged feel.  The Bridgestones have a hard clicky feel to them, much harsher then the buttery smooth feel of my JPX EZ Forged.  They remind me of the latest Mizunos that feature their 'Boron' forged steel that many detest.  My clubs might not be MP smooth, but the first time I put them back in play I was amazed at how different the feel was from the JGR Hybrids.  The XP 105 shafts in R flex are much more stable and a much better fit for me.

On the plus side, besides the cool looks and extra distance you get, it's like carrying around a bag full of hybrids and chippers.  They are amazing out of the rough and poor lies and a lot of fun on knock downs and tricky shots.  Around the green they are especial great at any type of chip and run.  I might put one back in my bag, just for chipping.

Edited by mootrail, 20 May 2017 - 09:27 AM.


2

#3 boggyman

boggyman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74821
  • Joined: 02/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

View Postgrisham, on 20 May 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Picked up a used set of these at a local golf shop. I didn't need a new set of irons but I had some credit and I like the way they performed on the launch monitor. I took them out for a spin yesterday. Wow!!! High and straight! The lofts are really jacked so I had to use one less club than I'm used to. So easy to hit and very forgiving. I know they are ugly but I really like the way they perform. Anyone else tried these?
I've been interested in these also. Looking to make the game easier as I'm offshore 28 days then home 28. How do the Zelos perform? How's the overall performance of the clubs compared to what you were bagging beforehand.

3

#4 grisham

grisham

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36324
  • Joined: 08/03/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

View Postboggyman, on 20 May 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

View Postgrisham, on 20 May 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Picked up a used set of these at a local golf shop. I didn't need a new set of irons but I had some credit and I like the way they performed on the launch monitor. I took them out for a spin yesterday. Wow!!! High and straight! The lofts are really jacked so I had to use one less club than I'm used to. So easy to hit and very forgiving. I know they are ugly but I really like the way they perform. Anyone else tried these?
I've been interested in these also. Looking to make the game easier as I'm offshore 28 days then home 28. How do the Zelos perform? How's the overall performance of the clubs compared to what you were bagging beforehand.

I still own a set of Srixon Z565 with Recoil shafts that I plan on keeping. They are great irons and are forgiving. But definitely not as forgiving as the Bridgestones. I really like the performance and feel of the Zelos shafts. They are smooth and stable with a high trajectory. Not quite as light as the Recoils but very close. Work lately has been crazy so I haven't been able to practice/play golf much. The Bridgestones really cover up my misses and are so easy to hit.

4

#5 boggyman

boggyman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74821
  • Joined: 02/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

View Postgrisham, on 20 May 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

View Postboggyman, on 20 May 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

View Postgrisham, on 20 May 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Picked up a used set of these at a local golf shop. I didn't need a new set of irons but I had some credit and I like the way they performed on the launch monitor. I took them out for a spin yesterday. Wow!!! High and straight! The lofts are really jacked so I had to use one less club than I'm used to. So easy to hit and very forgiving. I know they are ugly but I really like the way they perform. Anyone else tried these?
I've been interested in these also. Looking to make the game easier as I'm offshore 28 days then home 28. How do the Zelos perform? How's the overall performance of the clubs compared to what you were bagging beforehand.

I still own a set of Srixon Z565 with Recoil shafts that I plan on keeping. They are great irons and are forgiving. But definitely not as forgiving as the Bridgestones. I really like the performance and feel of the Zelos shafts. They are smooth and stable with a high trajectory. Not quite as light as the Recoils but very close. Work lately has been crazy so I haven't been able to practice/play golf much. The Bridgestones really cover up my misses and are so easy to hit.
Thanks. I'll try and find them somewhere to demo.


5

#6 duffer18

duffer18

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132963
  • Joined: 07/13/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Also just picked some of these up to fool around with.  Mine have Recoil graphite shafts.  So far, have loved some of the results, but also some inconsistency--think I need to hit these a bit differently than my gamers.  I'm an old hacker--65 yrs, 13-14 hi, with a 93-97 swing speed and a couple of hybrids in the bag already, so I was just wondering what difference they might make.  Will play around with them more--not sure the shafts are helping me here, but they do feel nice, and generate great shots when I hit them right.

6

#7 whiteretro

whiteretro

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151593
  • Joined: 12/19/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

Has anyone put a heavy steel shaft like dynamic gold x100 in the jgr hybrid irons?

Love their forgiveness - do not like Zelos 8

7

#8 Bimmer1

Bimmer1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 318201
  • Joined: 05/31/2014
  • Location:Pigeon Forge, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 761

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:55 PM

View Postwhiteretro, on 11 November 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

Has anyone put a heavy steel shaft like dynamic gold x100 in the jgr hybrid irons?

Love their forgiveness - do not like Zelos 8

I put a DG Pro S300 4 iron shaft from a different set of Bridgestone irons into the JGR hybrid forged 5 iron I purchased as an individual iron.  The 5 iron loft is 22 degrees so it works well as a 4 iron for most modern sets.

8

#9 whiteretro

whiteretro

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151593
  • Joined: 12/19/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

How did the DG Pro S300 play in the jgr 22 degree 5 iron? Club length?
Distance? Ball flight?

Thanks

9

#10 Bimmer1

Bimmer1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 318201
  • Joined: 05/31/2014
  • Location:Pigeon Forge, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 761

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:57 AM

View Postwhiteretro, on 11 November 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

How did the DG Pro S300 play in the jgr 22 degree 5 iron? Club length?
Distance? Ball flight?

Thanks

Came out at exactly 38.5 for the playing length.  Seems a touch light so you could probably add a little length.  Ball flight is hybrid like (mid to slightly higher).  Distance was somewhere between a 4 iron and 22 degree hybrid for me.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 mootrail

mootrail

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305945
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:22 PM

 mootrail, on 20 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

I'm going to have to be a bit older to enjoy the Zelos 8s.  They are whippy and too light, even in a Stiff...

As it turns out, this was just foolish ego talking.  After switching back to the JGR HF for an extend time, the Zelos 8 Stiffs really do play to a stiff and the 87.50g listed weight is no problem.  What I experience originally with my JGR HF was the feel of the lighter shafts and not a softer flex.

I'm playing Bridgestone JGR CBs now with Recoil 670 F3s (Regular) with a 75g listed weight.    In going to the CBs with my eyes wide open regarding the shaft weight and the extra length of the stock graphite shafts, it took no time at all to adapt and I never think about the weight, extra length or even that they're graphite during a round.  I am really enjoying the Recoils and that's high praise for someone who thought they would never switch from steel for irons.

I'll be posting my JGR HFs in the Classifieds shortly, if anyone is interested in trying some very cool irons.

11



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors