Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

AJGA...what is the best way to start?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

I didn’t want to hijack the other AJGA topic so I started this one.

There has been some great input from members on this board about AJGA.  I have also talked with a few parents of college golfers about it but thought I would throw the question out here.  Some never played in an AJGA events and their son is playing high level D1.  Another parent I spoke with had their son invited to AJGA events after doing well in other tournaments.  Up until then he couldn’t get in. So…

What is the best way to get into AJGA?  I keep hearing don’t chase stars and play the right events.

My son is 10 so we have a few years.  I am just trying to get a handle on it.

Thank you for all your help

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

Play local, state, and regional events that you can earn stars from.
Play in an AJGA Junior All-Star Preview Event beginning the ripe age of 12.
Play in AJGA Junior All-Stars 12-15 if you can get in.
Play in AJGA Preview Event. 12-18
Play in AJGA Opens.  12-18

These are the basic stepping stones through AJGA.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

I feel it's pretty well laid out on their website on how PBE works: https://www.ajga.org...nfo/PBE/TOC.asp

There's also a list of tournaments by state that have PBE stars associated with them: https://www.ajga.org...ip/pbe/map1.asp

You're going to need stars to play in AJGA events without an invite.  That being said, you will need to make sure your child is playing events that they will be successful in but without a lot of focused practice and dedication there won't be any of those.

#4 stehan

stehan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425834
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

Heavy Hitter has given a good synopsis of the traditional way of doing it.  I would also stress to pick tournaments based on the courses and fields that fits your kid's game.  You get an idea of the strength of the field by looking at the tournament applications that come in and historical scores.  One of my son's friends who lives in Texas traveled all the way to Maine for an AJGA event because he thought the field strength was not as strong and the course fit his style.  He went on to win the event and soon after got a verbal offer to a top D1 program.

#5 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113938
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 19 May 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Play local, state, and regional events that you can earn stars from.
Play in an AJGA Junior All-Star Preview Event beginning the ripe age of 12.
Play in AJGA Junior All-Stars 12-15 if you can get in.
Play in AJGA Preview Event. 12-18
Play in AJGA Opens.  12-18

These are the basic stepping stones through AJGA.

THIS -  100% spot on.  And his kids results speak for themselves.

#6 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

One question I have is how many performance stars should one have to play in the tournaments. Also if you win tournaments that qualify by winning tournaments that award performance stars before you are 12 will they count once you reach 12 and join up as a member.   There are some tournaments I could have my daughter go after and win but it doesn't make much sense if she can't earn PBE before 12.

#7 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:55 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 01 June 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

One question I have is how many performance stars should one have to play in the tournaments. Also if you win tournaments that qualify by winning tournaments that award performance stars before you are 12 will they count once you reach 12 and join up as a member.   There are some tournaments I could have my daughter go after and win but it doesn't make much sense if she can't earn PBE before 12.

Yes, you can earn before 12 and they roll up with you.  I'm 99.9% sure on that.

The previews will be hard to get in until she's older because they give priority to older kids with less stars. So a junior to be with 4 stars would get priority over a 12 year old with the same.  They are to give those without stars the opportunity.

For girls, some I saw this year in the junior all star series only needed 8 or so to get in. There are also qualifiers.

Also, go to tournaments with guaranteed stars. Some require certain number of participants and other requirements. That way you don't show up and no stars available.  Most of the time the stars are in the highest age division.  Some younger divisions just give 1 for the winner.

#8 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Ok that is good news and actually should work our favor. The only thing is most of the tournaments around here with guaranteed stars are 13 plus age group to enter. In a lot of these tournaments she can age up so it looks like a goal we will need to do. They play from the same tees as her but you can not caddy them.   So we can not do that until she is ready to play without a caddy there. Might need to plan a trip or two next year.

Edited by tiger1873, 01 June 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#9 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 01 June 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

Ok that is good news and actually should work our favor. The only thing is most of the tournaments around here with guaranteed stars are 13 plus age group to enter. In a lot of these tournaments she can age up so it looks like a goal we will need to do. They play from the same tees as her but you can not caddy them.   So we can not do that until she is ready to play without a caddy there. Might need to plan a trip or two next year.

Good deal. The quicker you get her without a caddie the better.

#10 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 946

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

Reading this thread makes me miss playing in the AJGA. I was lucky enough to be exempt the whole time so my experience may be different than some others but I can assure you this: it will teach you so much about yourself and what works for you. Many have learned that golf may not be for them, many learn how to be more sociable, and some learn that golf is going to be a part of their life for decades to come. And when you win one like I did, or two, or three etc. you really appreciate the work that goes into winning. Best of luck!

Enjoy the chase.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

McCann brings up good point. The best way to get stars is in AJGA tournaments.  Top half of field gets you 4 and typically have to win a non AJGA to get 4. Top 10 gets 8. Top 5 gets 12 and top 3 gets you exempt for a year give or take depending on when you get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors