Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

First HS golf match coming up...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 A-Train

A-Train

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50473
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

What should the handicap rating per hole mean to me and what is the best way to compare scores w/ my opponent when walking off each green?

Advice appreciated!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 gboldman23

gboldman23

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29938
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

do you guys play off your handicaps? cuz you usually don't in high school golf.

#3 beachgrovejunior

beachgrovejunior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24446

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

High School golf is either straight up matches, or straight up Medal Play, and the best way to trade scores with your opponent is to keep track of his, write it down, and then ask him what he got and if its different write it down beside so when you go over it after the round

#4 gboldman23

gboldman23

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

yeah and normally everyone trades scorecards as well. so that no two people have eachothers score card.

#5 A-Train

A-Train

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

If we have diff. scores written down for the same guy should it be addressed right after the hole or later?

Also, each hole has a hdcp rating.  If it's a 1 hdcp hole that means it's the most difficult hole on the course, right?  Should I play this hole more conservatively or?

#6 Adam Brewer

Adam Brewer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35715

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

sorry to jump in on your thread, but i figured it would be better to do so then have two threads running where the same q's are likely to be asked.

in HS golf, how many to a group? is it just you and one other person? i have no idea.

#7 gboldman23

gboldman23

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

in my experience in high school golf its 3 or 4 a group. usually 4. this is how varsity goes at least. The #1 handicap hole is the hardest although i don't think i would change my style that much because the scorecard says its the hardest hole on the course.

#8 beachgrovejunior

beachgrovejunior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24446

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

View PostAdam Brewer, on Mar 9 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

sorry to jump in on your thread, but i figured it would be better to do so then have two threads running where the same q's are likely to be asked.

in HS golf, how many to a group? is it just you and one other person? i have no idea.
It will be 4somes in league matches most likely, unless the number 5s are just playing by themselves, and most likely 4somes in tournaments but sometimes there might be 3somes

Beat me to it lol, and for the handicap question, no it doesn't really matter, But most of the time I play the smartest on the 1 handicap hole, feels better when you birdie or par it

Edited by beachgrovejunior, 09 March 2008 - 07:43 PM.

#9 A-Train

A-Train

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

View PostAdam Brewer, on Mar 9 2008, 08:39 PM, said:

No sweat... thanks for the help averyone!

#10 jmbgolfer

jmbgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25635

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

As for the question about playing the number 1 handicap hole differently, you should play each hole the way that you play and not try to change your game plan. Just because it was the hardest hole for the people that rated the course doesn't mean it is for you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 LJ_GOLF1

LJ_GOLF1

FUBAR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46942

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:46 PM

If you have an issue with a score that your opponent says he got it needs to be taken care of before you reach the next tee. Since you or another player in your group will be keeping that players score you both need to discuss this and reach an agreement. Usually, in my experience, a coach or an official will monitor each group. They, most often, keep your scores as well. You can refer to them for a third recollection of the score and go from there. If you do not challenge this player then and a coach or official does AFTER he signs his card then he will be disqualified for turning in a wrong score. I have dealt with this quite a few times. It is easier done on the course. If it comes up at the scorers table there can be a lot of conflict. In one instance both players were disqualified because each accused the other of cheating. I myself have also been disqualified once for the very same reason. A player and the official following us, who just happened to be his coach, said I got a 4 instead of the 3 I did get and I was DQ'd. Not much fun considering my 35 would have given us our first overall win of the year. It's hard to believe that there is cheating going on, but I have seen it. Most of us are pretty honest though. Let's keep it that way fellas.

#12 Back9

Back9

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44146
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

As I understand the handicap system, the number 1 handicap hole is not necessarily the hardest hole on the course, it is the hole that a good golfer is most likely to score better than a poor golfer.  That is why the lowest handicap holes are usually par 5s because they are often parred or birdied (or better) by good golfers and can be easily bogeyed or worse by a poor golfer because they demand three good shots to reach the green in regulation.  Par 3s are often the highest handicap holes because a poor golfer only needs one good shot to reach the green and therefore it is harder for a good golfer to score better routinely.  The handicap system is designed to give strokes to poor golfers on the holes that they are most likely to need them to compete fairly with a better golfer.

I believe that at most tournaments, the par 5s are played well under par, the par 4s are played around par, and the par 3s are played over par by the field at large, just the opposite of their usual order by scorecard handicap.

I think that if you look at the par 5s, 4s, and 3s as individual groups, the handicaps indicate roughly which are the harder holes within those groups but sometimes if a hole (particularly a par 3 in my experience) is really long and hard it may be a higher handicap because good and poor golfers both bogey it often.

I am not a professional but this is how I understand it.  I would welcome clarification if my thinking on this isn't correct.

Edited by Back9, 10 March 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#13 gboldman23

gboldman23

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

View PostBack9, on Mar 10 2008, 09:10 PM, said:

As I understand the handicap system, the number 1 handicap hole is not necessarily the hardest hole on the course, it is the hole that a good golfer is most likely to score better than a poor golfer.  That is why the lowest handicap holes are usually par 5s because they are often parred or birdied (or better) by good golfers and can be easily bogeyed or worse by a poor golfer because they demand three good shots to reach the green in regulation.  Par 3s are often the highest handicap holes because a poor golfer only needs one good shot to reach the green and therefore it is harder for a good golfer to score better routinely.  The handicap system is designed to give strokes to poor golfers on the holes that they are most likely to need them to compete fairly with a better golfer.

I believe that at most tournaments, the par 5s are played well under par, the par 4s are played around par, and the par 3s are played over par by the field at large, just the opposite of their usual order by scorecard handicap.

I think that if you look at the par 5s, 4s, and 3s as individual groups, the handicaps indicate roughly which are the harder holes within those groups but sometimes if a hole (particularly a par 3 in my experience) is really long and hard it may be a higher handicap because good and poor golfers both bogey it often.

I am not a professional but this is how I understand it.  I would welcome clarification if my thinking on this isn't correct.

Back 9,

That actually makes a lot of sense. I think you may be right there.

#14 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3626

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

View PostA-Train, on Mar 9 2008, 08:33 PM, said:

If we have diff. scores written down for the same guy should it be addressed right after the hole or later?

Also, each hole has a hdcp rating.  If it's a 1 hdcp hole that means it's the most difficult hole on the course, right?  Should I play this hole more conservatively or?
You should bring it up immediately while it's fresh in everybody's mind.

Contrary to popular believe, the #1 handicap hole does not necessarily mean it's the most difficult.  What it means is that hole has the biggest spread in comparing what a scratch player would average on that hole, to what a bogey golfer would average.

Sometimes those are the same, other times not.  For example, I played a course once where there was a 230 yard par 3.  It was the 16th handicapped hole.  It certainly wasn't the 3rd easiest, but think about this:  A bogey golf is not going to get on this green in 1 almost ever.   But a scratch player isn't going to hit that green that often either, so there's very little advantage the scratch player has over the bogey golfer.  Then take a 480 yard par 5.  A scratch player is going to get on that green in 2 fairly often, a LOT more often than the bogey golfer.  Therefore, the difference in their averages for that hole will be greater than on the par 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors