Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Review - 13 Shafts, 7 Players and a Trackman

202 replies to this topic

#1 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
GolfWRX Likes : 1246

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

READ THE FIRST SEVEN POSTS. DATA IS LISTED AS ONE PLAYER PER POST.

I received so many PM's upset that a troll ruined the first thread that I couldn't deny you guys this info. Let's try to keep it troll free and if you see that trend starting please ignore him and report the troll to mods so they can practice a little pest control. Thanks and enjoy. Let's have fun.

Here is the first installment of the shaft comparison. It will again,  include 6 of my coworkers who came in on their own time, and stayed late with me many nights for no pay, just to put together this data block for the WRX community.

Instead of each and every shot, like the head test, we will simply be giving you the overall 20 shot averages with each shaft. Every player used the same Taylormade M2 head, identical loft, identical face angle, identical length, and each club was adjusted for swingweight with the change of each shaft. All shafts have the same tipping, same length, same logo orientation, and the same grip.  The only variable is that the left handers obviously used a LH M2 head of the same loft.

The group will vary in swing speed from 125 to 100 mph as averages, so just about every swing speed you would expect from a good player will be represented. I will also post player blurbs with the type of swing they have, way they load the shaft, and of course, their opinions on many of the models. The data represents solid strikes only, and mishits are omitted.

Here is just my sample. I will be adding more and more data and information over the next week, starting this evening. We can't test everything, but tried to get the hottest shafts in the current market and on Tour.

Shafts tested:
Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White
Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue
Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange
Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange V2 Proto
Mitsubishi Kuro Kąge Dual Core XT
True Temper Hzrdus black
True Temper Hzrdus yellow
True Temper Hzrdus T1100
Fujikura Atmos black
Fujikura Atmos blue
Aldila SYNERGY
Aldila Black Mamba
Aldila Green Mamba

This swing profile is something we do for clients when submitting test results, so they understand not only the numbers, but what type of player these numbers are provided by. Often times things like tempo, release, arc, etc, can be invaluable in determining what type of player might like or dislike a product. For reviews we do here, this will allow you guys to see which type of player you relate to and which might have a swing most like yours. This is incredibly valuable in shaft reviews.

Swing Type: (JT, 125mph)
Smooth tempo player with big shoulder turn and high hands. Full wrist set at the top of the swing, stopping just short of parallel ground to shaft relation. Pro style downswing begins with bump of left hip and additional down cocking of wrists, followed by extreme wrist hinge (lag) and a very late release. Swing comes 3-4 degrees in to out. AOA of 5-6 degrees up. Typical shot pattern is a slight push fade. Tempo most similar to PGA Tour player Gary Woodland.

Personal Driver: Taylormade 2016 M2 8.5 loft, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange 70tx

Shaft Thoughts:

Tensei Pro Blue -

In my opinion the PB is the best feeling of all the shafts in the test. It is very stable in the handle, loads beautifully and really has a feeling of power through the impact zone. If the test was based on feel alone, this would be my choice. Performance wise the ball flight is higher than I'm accustomed to both in launch and spin, meaning the fit is not ideal and performance suffers as a result. I'd say this shaft is best for the player who is not particularly high spin but wants a stable feeling shaft with some life to it. A flat swinging, early loader, or lower speed player should certainly give this one a look. I'd attest to it being better suited to a fairway shaft for the stronger player. I find that it turns over easier than I would like and the overall ball flight is just too high and spinning. I do love the visible Kevlar with the simple band look of these Tensei Pro shafts. Very classy.

Tensei Pro White -

For a lower launch and low spin shaft, this shaft feels great. You can feel the flex in the handle somewhat upon loading but the lower section is very tight and stable. It almost feels like a Dynamic Gold in a driver shaft. The way you can feel the load in the hands has a similar feeling. I seem to always hit this shaft well, but don't love the feeling of it for me personally. Being a player who likes a stiffer butt section, it is somewhat contradictory to the type of profile I choose based on feel. That said, there is absolutely no denying the performance of the product. Very low spin, tight dispersion, and the ability to take stepping on the gas. I do feel like I hold it off a bit and tend to miss a bit right with it when I step on it, because I can feel the load in my hands, which would normally signify a shaft that is going to hook. Performance is awesome, feel isn't ideal to me.

Tensei Pro Orange Tour Proto V2 -

I can't recall ever having better ball speeds on the smoothest of swings than I do with V2. It's the more than smooth swings where the issues come in. If I take a nice deliberate 85-90% pass, the shaft is wonderful. Feeling is explosive and the load is very unique in that you can feel the whole shaft load as one unit and release almost like the feeling of a well struck Project X mid iron. Those of you who have hit such a shot know exactly what I'm talking about. If there is a better feeling golf shaft for the smooth swinger, I haven't hit it. When I try to step on it, spin increases, dispersion suffers, and unfortunately I know it's not for me. I can see the smooth tempo player bagging this thing and never looking at another shaft. The aggressive player will struggle to control it.

Tensei Pro Orange -

This shaft is, for me, the best combination of feel and performance there is today. The very stable feeling in the butt section even though the graph says it flexes like white, along with a small bit of counter balance really make this thing feel like I am unhinging around a fulcrum. Not sure how they accomplish butt stability with flex other than material tech. It has a tremendously powerful feel to it without ever getting boardy feeling. The tip is also extremely stiff but never feels brittle in any way. The more I stand on this thing the more it goes where I want it. I can cut it at will and even turn the draw over without fear of the hook, which is a miss I don't ever want to see. The launch and spin are near ideal for me and it will stand up to whatever you want to give it. I will say, when I got lazy with it, I would hit a tiny push, but nothing overwealming. I can see myself in a battle over this and the driver in my current set up. Count me massively impressed.

Kuro Kage Dual Core XT -

Let me state that I play this shaft, so I am very familiar with it and trust it completely. Obviously this makes for a bit of bias and certainly a comfort zone with it. I think that shows in the overall performance. I can sum this shaft up quickly by saying, if you want to swing smoothly, it feels like a softer shaft that allows you to do that without worry of it being too tight. If you want to swing aggressively, it feels as if it tightens and stiffens up proportionately to the amount of effort you put into the swing. I've never felt a shaft that does this or allows this. It's got to be something in the dual core tini fibers. I don't really understand how it happens, but when you have some time with this shaft you realize how far shaft technology has come. Amazing shaft, A+ on all levels. I like the reflective graphics of the previous XT and XM versions. This one is a little graphically simple, but honestly, the performance is so good, who really would complain.

Hzrdus T1100 -

I will say, as being a guy who played Project X for a long time, I had really hoped this would be the driver version. I had extremely high hopes for this shaft and I have to say it really fell flat for me. It is very low spin for certain, among the lowest spin of the test, but it's also very low launch. I guess if you launch the ball at 18 degrees, this might be your end all be all, but for the average player, it's too low. The worst thing about it, and remember this is MY opinion, is the feel. It feels brittle and overly stiff. Compared to the Kuro Kage DCXT or even the other Hzrdus shafts, this shaft feels terribly rigid. When I stepped on it, it performed with low piercing low spin bullets, but anything less and it was a push. I can see Charles Howell loving this shaft. It's exactly for his ball flight and tempo. For me, it was a big let down. I even tried 3 different shafts all tipped differently and I still feel the same.

Hzrdus Black -

For a shaft with such a low balance point, it really is a great feeling product. Numbers for me were very good with this, but due to the balance point I just feel like I am losing a little head speed with it. It's not something I was totally comfortable with, but overall it performed and felt pretty darn good. Dispersion was excellent as well. I do like the business look of the all black too. Very simple and non distracting which is something I like. For a guy that needs low spin and likes a very low balance point, this is certainly one to look at. One of the better feeling of the TT products for sure.

Hzrdus Yellow -

First off, I love the feel of this shaft. Compared to the T1100 you almost can't include these two shafts in the same family. Yellow profile is tremendously smooth and you can really feel the shaft work for you. Even though the spin rates are high and I knew it wasn't a keeper, I wanted to keep hitting this shaft just based on feel. Like the Tensei Blue, this is a profile for a slower swinging player or a guy who really doesn't generate a ton of spin. I can see it being a tremendous fairway shaft. My only real gripe is, man is this thing ugly. The tour only black with the yellow graphics was classy and business, but the screaming bright yellow might keep me from playing this thing based on looks alone, but man if feels so good. Great balance point, smooth loading, just a bit too high spin for me personally. Change the color, tighten up the tip, and I'd love to give it another roll.

Black Mamba -

Definitely a cool name. I liked it just hearing the name I will admit. The performance of this shaft was very good and the feel is not too bad either. It's kind of different feeling shaft in that it feels stiff when swung too smoothly but totally smooth and controlled with just the slightest bit of tempo or ramp up. It loads nicely, feels stable and performance is excellent. Nothing about it particularly stood out other than consistent repeated excellent performance. I hit it 22 times, 20 of which we recorded as keepers, handed it back and said, "that's a damn good golf shaft". This is one I would like to spend a bit more time with and see how it performs on the course. For the sake of fun facts, when we went long drive on these after the test, I hit my second longest drive of the fun session with this shaft. I'll definitely be giving it more time.

Green Mamba -

I don't know a lot about this shaft other than hitting it, but I'd say it's in the Tensei Pro Blue, Hzrdus Yellow type. Maybe a nice fairway compliment to the guy who plays Black Mamba in the driver. Smooth feeling, high launching, somewhat high spinning. Again, just like I said with the previously mentioned TPB and HY, not for me, but a great feeling shaft and something for a fairway wood or a guy who just doesn't generate a lot of driver spin.

SYNERGY -

A very early proto of some yet unknown tech, but I though it would be fun to throw into the mix anyway. VERY smooth feeling shaft. As soon as I swung it I thought, this feels a lot like V2 orange. I definitely needed to make a smooth pass on it, but man the ball jumps with this thing. It's a bit loose in profile for me to get aggressive with, but I can safely say Aldila is on to something for this one. It will be interesting to see how the profile evolves and if it stays for the smooth swinger or if other iterations pop up that let's us have a good rip.

Atmos Black -

A typical Fujikura shaft, and I say that in the best way. You know what you are getting with Fujikura, which is technology Tour proven over 20+ years, a generally smooth but controlled feel, quality dispersion and something you could put in your bag without worrying that there is something a TON better. I really like this shaft, and I really like the feel of it. Neutral balanced feel and the ability to stand on it if you need to. I like it, a lot. I just don't love it. It's a shade higher spin than some of the shafts in the same launch category, but if you are a Fujikura guy and love the Fujikura feel, this might be the one. More for the power guy than the smooth swinger.

Atmos Blue -

Man this shaft feels good. Unfortunately it is too high spin for me by a wide margin. I suppose all the profiles that really feel smooth and wonderful are always too high spin. Kind of like how everything that tastes good is always unhealthy. I could reiterate the same thing over and over, but you've already read it. Smoother swingers shaft. Spins a lot. End of story.

20170512_095415.jpg 20170514_191545.jpg

Edited by TollBros, 22 May 2017 - 02:12 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Aaron H.

Swing Type: (Aaron H., 118mph)

Player is a former D1 College player. Very Justin Thomas like swing. Big turn with restricted hips, long arc with club to almost exactly parallel at the top. Power acceleration through the shot with high finish and complete release of the hands. Hits high draw and very up on the ball.

Personal Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 460 2017 model, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange 70tx.

Shaft Thoughts:

Tensei Pro Blue -
Great feeling shaft. Very smooth and makes you feel like you don't have to muscle it at all. Easy to draw, spins a lot when hitting a cut. I play this shaft in the 90 gram version in my 3 wood and I love it. It hits high long rockets that just stay in the air forever. In a driver it's average. In a 3 wood it's a weapon.

Tensei Pro White -

Not a fan of the feeling of a soft butt section. It feels too much like a Dynamic Gold which I hate. Good performance overall but I just never felt like I could control the ball with it. The numbers are a bit misleading on this one as I just couldn't consistently hit the ball where or how I wanted to. I know a lot of Tour guys love it. It just doesn't suit what I like in terms of feel.

I don't like the feel of V2 at all. It's very soft feeling overall to me and I spray it all over the course unless I want to hit a big high wide draw. It's for a guy who swings really smooth or much slower. I can see a guy like Els playing it maybe. For the slower guys or really smooth guys, they hit high, low spin lasers. For me, I can't control it.

Tensei Pro Orange -

I play this shaft in my on course driver so I'm biased as to how good it is. I have the prototype version which was known as V3, and we now call Pro Orange. I haven't looked at another shaft seriously since I started playing it. It is stable but not harsh and I can work the ball both ways easily with it. It doesn't get wild when I want to lean in to one and it doesn't leak when I want to hit a control shot. I know they call it counter balanced but I call it PERFECTLY balanced and don't find it to feel butt weighted at all. It's the best of the bunch.

Kuro Kage Dual Core XT -

I actually really like this shaft. It's a little bit heavier in the tip than what I normally really like but it feels great and you cannot overpower it. The really aggressive power guys seem to gravitate toward this shaft and swear by it, and truthfully I'd play it if Pro Orange wasn't available. There probably isn't a more stable feeling golf shaft in existence and it's really really good in a 3 wood also. I thought it would hit too low in the fairway wood, but pair this thing with a HL 3+ wood and go attack par 5's.

Hzrdus T1100 -

I know a lot of guys don't like the feel of this shaft, but it's not terrible, just a firmer and tighter than the Mitsubishi stuff. If the Mitsu shafts weren't so off the chain, I don't think this would be a bad option. It is extremely low spin, but pretty low launch as well. If I was going to play it, I'd loft up a degree. I think a Tiger Woods in his prime would have loved this shaft being stiff and tight. I will say, you can unload on the t1100 and it will take it. It just isn't the best feeling option, but low launch and low spin is exactly what it is.

Hzrdus Black -

This thing has really low balance point, which isn't my favorite. Now beyond that once you get used to that, it sort of feels like the club is swinging itself and while very controllable, it feels like I can't generate the speed I want to with it. I can see this being an excellent fairway shaft and I know a lot of guys are using the hybrid version in driving irons, which I've hit and is a really solid set up. I don't dislike it at all, and it is very accurate and easy to control.

Hzrdus Yellow -

Loose is the first word that comes to mind. It's like a Tensei Blue but softer feeling and really high spin. I've got to say that very few guys with a late release or a high swing speed are going to like this in a driver. It's even too high spin for a 3 wood in my opinion. It feels loose and unstable in the tip section to me, and isn't something I could see using in any application.

Black Mamba -

Similar to the T1100 in feel with a hint more life to it, but it is fairly firm. You've got to make a good committed swing on this shaft or it feels tight. It is low spin, and the ball speed feels hot coming off the face. Different feeling shaft, but the performance is there and I could see this being popular on Tour.

Green Mamba -

If you painted this shaft and the Atmos Blue I doubt I could tell the difference. It's like they are almost clones of the same exact shaft. It's kind of mid launch mid spin, but doesn't feel loose at all. It's something a really low spin guy or someone with a fairway wood application might like. Much better for the masses than a Tour application for me.

SYNERGY -

Really lively shaft without being super loose. It's kind of like the Tensei Blue, Atmos Blue type shaft but with some real snap to it. You think it's going to be high spin when you swing it, but it isn't. Like all of us, we don't really know anything about this shaft, other than it just hit tour, but it's pretty high launch and fairly low spin. Maybe a little tighter tip or a true TX flex and it would have a chance. Interested to see the evolution of this one.

Atmos Black -

I like this shaft. It's almost like a hopped up 757. It feels good and like the ball flight, but it just lacks pop. I don't know how else to explain it other than it doesn't have the lively pop at the ball that makes you feel like you really squared one up. I've always really liked Fujikura products and had high hopes for it. I don't want to say it falls flat. It's just not eye opening if that makes sense. Solid product and very consistent. Nice tight dispersion.

Atmos Blue -

I kind of already said it, but it feels and performs like a twin of the Green Mamba. Nice product for a fairway or a really low spin or lower speed guy in the driver. I'm sure some of our more pedestrian guys will like this one a lot.

20170515_210420.jpg 20170515_210433.jpg

Swing Type: (Rickey Z., 112mph)

Very quick tempo player along the lines of a Nick Price or Andrew Loupe. Loads the shaft like a much harder swinging player and stops just short of parallel. Swing is somewhat flat and relatively low spin. Former hockey player who has extremely strong wrists and forearms and hits the ball with the type of solidity that is normally reserved for a range full of professionals. Swing is flat, slightly positive AOA, swinging inside out. Typical shot is a straight ball to small draw.

Personal Driver: Taylormade 2017 M1 460 9.5 with Aldila Black Mamba 70tx

Shaft Thoughts:

Tensei Pro Blue -

This shaft feels good to me in the butt section because I have a very quick tempo and and a late release. The ball flight isn't as great. It floats on me and you can tell with the eye test that it spins too much. Far too much tip flex for a driver with my tempo and release.

Tensei Pro White -

I hit this shaft all over the lot. The soft butt section isn't good for my tempo and I don't care for the way it feels in under my hands. It's just too loose feeling in the top of the shaft and too stiff in the lower section. It gives a weird sensation and I can't time the release. It's shocking that Jason Day plays this shaft with as violent as his transition is.

This has to be the oddest feeling shaft that I've hit. It is controlled, but controlled in a loose way. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it feels like the shaft is loading in a stable way, but the whole thing feels like it wobbles on me on the transition. I just don't like the way it feels at all. Half of me wants to hold it off and half of me wants to flip it. Definitely the wrong fit for my swing.

Tensei Pro Orange -

I know Mitsubishi says this shaft is softer in the butt section than white but I don't buy it. There is no way that can be the case, and certainly isn't the case with the way the shaft feels. This one is a lot better than the prototype v2 version, and I really like the feel of the shaft but with counterbalanced shafts, I can sometimes loose the head a bit. I supposed I could play this shaft with some tweaking, and overall it is very good, but the feel isn't exactly what I'm looking for. Great strikes are monster long, that's for sure.

Kuro Kage Dual Core XT -

I play this shaft and after hitting the rest of the Mitsubishi line, I know why. I'm just not a Tensei Pro guy. I like the firmer feeling and more controlled feeling of the dual core xt. This shaft tolerates my tempo and never gets wild on me. The neutral balance feels perfect throughout the swing and I feel like I can let it rip without worrying about the high rights or the snap hooks. The best of the Mitsubishi shafts in my opinion.

Hzrdus T1100 -

This is one damn stable golf shaft. I guess they say it's supposed to be counter weighted but if it is, it's not much. I hit nothing but long controlled knuckleball fades with this shaft. If I played in Texas wind, this would be the shaft I would game. Some of the guys complained that it's too stiff feeling but it just makes me want to attack it harder. This is a very good golf shaft. I just wish it didn't hit so darn low, but like I said, different weather patterns and I might game it. Strong shaft for the quick and handsy player.

Hzrdus Black -

I like this one too. It isn't quite as stable as the T1100 but it's not far off. It just feels heavy to me, based on the weight it's supposed to be. Maybe it's the balance point or something but I felt like the club was swinging itself at times. Almost like a weighted club. The feel isn't wonderful, but it won't get wild on you when you attack it. Another power player's shaft, and a pretty good one.

Hzrdus Yellow -

The best way I can describe this shaft is that it feels fast. I feel like I can really get some head speed going with this one. Now for the gripes. It's loose feeling and very high spin. I wish they made this shaft with a stiff tip. It might not be too bad. As it is, I can't play it and just overpower it consistently.

Black Mamba -

Wow is all I can say. This shaft is the bees knees. The balance is similar to my dc xt and it will stand up to the gas pedal being mashed. I hit nothing but dead straight low spin rockets with this shaft and I really felt like I could rip it. The ball speeds are great and so is spin and trajectory. I may switch it over to this shaft if it wins the head to head against the dc xt. This shaft rocks.

Green Mamba -

I don't like it all. No reason to bash the shaft but I just don't care for it. I hit it  high and everywhere. No good for my tempo.

SYNERGY -

Another shaft that feels fast, but I feel like I can't really center it up consistently. It feels just a bit off on the strike and I don't get that home run feeling off this shaft. It must be the way it unloads for me. I watched some of the other guys hit the daylights out of this thing, but it just isn't really up my alley.

Atmos Black -

I really like the Black version. Really stable and really tight dispersion. If I absolutely had to hit a fairway or be dropped into a pit of sharks, this might be the shaft I would pick. It's not hugely long hitting, but by God did I hit it on a rope. I could literally aim at the same tree off the end of the range over and over and just watch the ball track the line. I don't know if this is a Speeder or not, but whatever it is sure likes to go like you shot an arrow from a long bow down the fairway.

Atmos Blue -

Better than the other shafts of the same type profile in this test. I don't hit this softer tip shaft as long as other profiles but just like the Black, my dispersion pattern was outstanding. There's really nothing bad to say about this guy except that it just isn't the best suited for me, but these new Fujikura shafts are really stable and accurate.

20170521_155300.jpg 20170521_155321.jpg

Edited by TollBros, 25 May 2017 - 11:30 PM.

#3 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Swing Type: (Emillio V., 110mph)

Tall thin player with a long arc and a beautiful smooth tempo. The type of golf swing every player wishes their swing looked like. Tempo is similar to an Ernie Els/Vijay Singh. Very positive AOA and a very low spin player. Load on the shaft is smooth and progressive and release is just as smooth and gradual. Typical shot pattern is a very soft high fade.

Personal Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 60tx

20170523_223902.jpg 20170523_223916.jpg

Edited by TollBros, 23 May 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#4 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

Swing Type: (Kevin D. 106mph)

Large shoulder turn, tall player that gets the club set fully at the top. Shaft release is a shade early and comes from outside in to hit a controlled fade. Very good ball striker with a very positive AOA and exceptionally low spin. Tempo is medium, as is shaft load. Typical shot pattern is a low spin fade. Think JB Holmes ball flight at 2/3 the speed.

Personal Driver: Taylormade 2016 M1 9.5 loft, Aldila Copperhead 70x

20170602_225233.jpg 20170602_225244.jpg

Edited by TollBros, 03 June 2017 - 04:32 AM.

#5 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

Swing Type: (Joe M. 103mph)

Medium tempo, one plane swing. Aggressive pass through the ball and fairly late release. Hits sweeping high draw. Four degree positive AOA and swing from the inside with full release of the hands through impact. Swing is just short of parallel with small down c0ck of the wrists on the transition. Definitely a maximum results from limited speed type player.

Personal Driver: Taylormade 2016 M1 8.5 loft, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 70 Stiff

Edited by TollBros, 18 May 2017 - 09:29 PM.

#6 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Swing Type: (Michael J. 100mph)

Smooth easy tempo, parallel swing with a progressive load and gradual speed through the golf ball. Text book swing positions with positive AOA and swing almost dead down the line. Swing tempo similar to Ernie Els. Very accurate driver of the ball who can work the ball both ways easily. Normal flight is a medium high straight low spin shot. Control player who favors accuracy over distance. Premier ball striker.

Personal Driver: Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70 stiff

Edited by TollBros, 18 May 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#7 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

Ok I gave you guys 3 more swing profiles today, the other 2 come tomorrow. Then I will give you Aaron's shaft notes, followed by Rickeys data, then his test notes, and so on.

#8 r34civic

r34civic

Fighting the two way miss

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36136
  • Ebay ID:cmoses0609
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for bringing this back!!

#9 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

r34civic, on 17 May 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

Thanks for bringing this back!!

It's a ton of work honestly. The worst part is the player notes. The guys write down notes as they are hitting the products. Now I have to take these, type them out into something conherent, haha, and post them. It reminds me of homework. :)

#10 Shilgy

Shilgy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 3954

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Toll-I was looking for this thread the last day or so and wondering where it went. Now we now.  Gotta keep those trolls under the bridge where they belong.  

And thank you for including real world-106mph- guys in your test as well. More relevant to some of us mortals.

Callaway Epic SZ Fujikura Atmos Black 6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Adams A12 UST Silver S 19* & 21*
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-P Nippon pm 125x
Nike Engage 50* SS
Nike Engage 54* TS
Nike Engage 58 * TS
Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

Shilgy, on 17 May 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

Thanks Toll-I was looking for this thread the last day or so and wondering where it went. Now we now.  Gotta keep those trolls under the bridge where they belong.  

And thank you for including real world-106mph- guys in your test as well. More relevant to some of us mortals.

Troll free please. Haha. The last 2 will be 100 ish range swing speeds. I tried to represent most everyone, including swing types. The goal is to give a representation of speeds and swing types that you can look at and say "hey that guy swings a lot like me" so that the data is not only entertaining, but truly worth something.

#12 masamitsu

masamitsu

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131236
  • Handicap:4-6
GolfWRX Likes : 472

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for doing this.  Very interested in the last 2 guys as they'll be more along my lines.
TheGrint : masamitsu

Titleist 915D3 10.5* Aldila Rogue S
Titleist 915f 15* Aldila Rogue S
Titleist T-MB 3i & 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Vokey SM6 54.10S/58.10K
Mizuno S5 54.12/58.12
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

#13 cmb71

cmb71

Major Winner

• 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28443
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

Many thanks for putting this together.  This is going to be a really good follow.  

I am a fan of Atmos Blue and HZDRUS Yellow (like you, hate the bright yellow) and Tensei Blue in a Fwy wood.  Anxious to try the Orange but seems hard to find.  I will be excited to read the other players' feedback as well.
TaylorMade '17 M2 10.5* Project X HZRDUS HC Yellow
TaylorMade '17 M1 3HL Aldila Rogue Silver 70
TaylorMade TP UDI 2 - Aldila Rogue Black 85H
TaylorMade P770 3-5/P750 6-PW - Nippon Modus 120
Vokey SM6 Raw 54* S Grind - S400
Vokey Design WW Oil Can Low Bounce K Grind 60* - S400 TI Black Onyx
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

#14 Wesquire

Wesquire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431610
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

I'll admit that I can't "feel" much difference between shafts and I tend to launch high, but the T1100 blows everything else out of the water for me. Have it in 6.5 tipped 1", feels good to me and it produces perfect launch numbers.

Edited by Wesquire, 17 May 2017 - 12:49 PM.

Driver - Ping G 9° (PX HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5 Tipped 1")
3 Wood - Ping G30 14.5° (PX HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5 Tipped 1.5")
3 Crossover - Ping G 18° (PX HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5 Tipped 0.5")
4-W - Ping i200 (PX 6.5)
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 2.0 52° (PX 6.5), 56° (PX 6.5), and 60° (PX 6.0)
Putter - Odyssey Works Versa #7 SuperStroke
Ball - Snell MTB

#15 hwu1

hwu1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168513
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

yeaaaaaaaaaaa thanks JT! This stuff is awesome!

One thing to maybe look into - is it possible to post videos of each player?

#16 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

hwu1, on 17 May 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

yeaaaaaaaaaaa thanks JT! This stuff is awesome!

One thing to maybe look into - is it possible to post videos of each player?

We actually do supply shadow videos for clients but what you're asking for starts dipping into the area where companies pay big money for. I'm allowed to post this type of stuff if the guys and I do it with our own supplied product on our own time but I can't get too crazy or the boss will not be happy. Once we sponsor the site, maybe.

#17 moonshine

moonshine

MP5 & LS Tec new toys!

• 5,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 468

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

What...all this great work and no black tie? :swoon:

JK...can't wait to see the rest and again good work.  Can I equate Aaron's results with gamer shaft as feeling "the force?"
"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

#18 macnewma

macnewma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27662
  • Ebay ID:macnewma
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

Very interested in these results. Thanks for doing the work.

#19 EvanScottKing

EvanScottKing

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443226
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

Awesome data collection and write-up so far, TollBros!  It's great to see people working on doing comprehensive reviews with a larger sample size than so many other seem to do.  

I like how clinical your review is as far as working to keep things standardized, but have a question on using the exact same head for each tester: Are you using any of the adjustability of the driver head or modifying things like the  swing weight from player to player or even shaft to shaft as it can be such a personal preference in terms of feel and thus overall performance?

I'm sure some of those details will come out in the individual player's notes on each set-up, but thought I'd ask to be sure and get a clear answer.  Thanks again for all your work.

#20 jph4387

jph4387

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107842
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

So glad to have this thread back, thanks JT.  I was so mad when it was taken down last time.

Epic 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60 TX
Epic SZ 15* w/ Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
Callaway Apex 20* w/ AD DI 95x
Mizuno JPX900 Forged w/ PX 6.0
Titleist Vokey Raw 50, 54, 60 w/ KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostEvanScottKing, on 18 May 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Awesome data collection and write-up so far, TollBros!  It's great to see people working on doing comprehensive reviews with a larger sample size than so many other seem to do.  

I like how clinical your review is as far as working to keep things standardized, but have a question on using the exact same head for each tester: Are you using any of the adjustability of the driver head or modifying things like the  swing weight from player to player or even shaft to shaft as it can be such a personal preference in terms of feel and thus overall performance?

I'm sure some of those details will come out in the individual player's notes on each set-up, but thought I'd ask to be sure and get a clear answer.  Thanks again for all your work.

Very good questions. We go D2 on all drivers. Pretty much every player is D1-D3 range in the driver they play on the course so it's a nice compromise. As for the face angle, I do allow players to adjust the face angle as preferred by each player as long as it stays the same for every single shaft.

#22 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

View Postjph4387, on 18 May 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

So glad to have this thread back, thanks JT.  I was so mad when it was taken down last time.

Well I'm always happy to share as long as it's kept fun and enjoyable. I enjoy the process, and I hope that it is both entertaining and useful.

#23 Peanut191

Peanut191

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299122
GolfWRX Likes : 438

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for bringing the thread back.  Looking forward to the rest of the reviews.
M2 10.5, set to 9.75, D5, KK XT 70s
915F 16.5 AD DI 8s
Titleist 915 21* Kiyoshi White 95 04 flex
Titleist T-MB 4-W, Modus 120S
Vokey 56F 14 bounce, Vokey Wedgeworks 60K 6 bounce
Scotty Newport 1.5

#24 hwu1

hwu1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168513
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

JT,

What made you guys decide on the M2 head vs the M1's? Also, did you guys test using the '16 or '17 M2?

Apologies if the answer was already posted.

#25 EvanScottKing

EvanScottKing

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443226
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

View PostTollBros, on 18 May 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostEvanScottKing, on 18 May 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Very good questions. We go D2 on all drivers. Pretty much every player is D1-D3 range in the driver they play on the course so it's a nice compromise. As for the face angle, I do allow players to adjust the face angle as preferred by each player as long as it stays the same for every single shaft.

Good to know when looking at the data, thanks for the info.  

You said all shafts were the same length - 45"?  Would it be too much to ask to include the playing length of each tester's gamer set-up as well?  Part of my interest is looking at what shaft each swing profile prefers/gets the best results from and it'd be nice to know what they're coming from.

I noticed you have wind in the Trackman data; was that normalized out?  And where are you guys doing the testing?  More just curious on these as there aren't many ranges around me where people who carry the ball 300+ yards can really get after it.  The couple players I know who can hit like that aren't allowed back at most ranges in the area, haha

I missed a bunch of the last thread before it was locked-up, so if I'm rushing a bunch of whats coming down the pipeline just let me know and I'll wait.  Cheers

#26 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

View Posthwu1, on 18 May 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

JT,

What made you guys decide on the M2 head vs the M1's? Also, did you guys test using the '16 or '17 M2?

Apologies if the answer was already posted.

2016 M2 tour issue 8.5 head. It's a head everyone is used to testing with. No particular reason except that everyone likes it and has hit it before.

#27 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Last 2 player profiles posted.

#28 Harve10

Harve10

• 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144711
  • Handicap:2.6
  • Ebay ID:harveywbc10
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Awesome work and much appreciated. Looking forward to the updates along the way.
TBD
TM M2 T13 DF HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 716 TMB 2-iron Recoil Proto
Mizuno JPX 900 Tours PX LZ
Titleist SM6 RAW Vokeys: 50F/54M/58S
Byron Morgan DH89

#29 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:12 PM

View PostHarve10, on 18 May 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

Awesome work and much appreciated. Looking forward to the updates along the way.

Thank you. I'll add in Aaron's shaft notes tomorrow.

#30 TollBros

TollBros

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

Aaron's full shaft summary posted

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors