Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

DECADE by BirdieFire

158 replies to this topic

#151 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285110
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 3072

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

View Postebrasmus21, on 07 May 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

This hole seems kind of interesting.  It's a Par 5 big dogleg to the left.  I could hit 3-wood to the end of the dogleg or I could hit driver and try to cut across.  I've never played this course before but I'm assuming that left is O.B.

In the first picture, how much would you have remaining to the hole from the intersection of the 4 squares at the end of your cone? That "+" looks like a pretty good spot to be if you can still go for the green from there (and it looks like you could).  

Assuming you were hitting driver nicely on the day, you might consider cutting off more of the corner, but if it were me, I'd evaluate how things looked if the center of my cone was aimed up the line of the left rough.  Looks like there's a fairly large tree through the FW just to the right of that line, but if you know you can fly the trees on the left, it looks like you're cutting off another 20-30y without bringing a whole lot more trouble into play.  I would be curious how big those trees are both on the left side and through the FW though, if you're hitting into them and get blocked out, I think the better play is just to play to the corner of the dogleg and have a bit longer approach in.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
2016 M2 5w (Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70x)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x/Snell MTB

OnlineGolfTour Stats: http://www.simulatio...e.html?id=16001

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#152 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 1821

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

View Postdrewtaylor21, on 07 May 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

View Postebrasmus21, on 07 May 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

This hole seems kind of interesting.  It's a Par 5 big dogleg to the left.  I could hit 3-wood to the end of the dogleg or I could hit driver and try to cut across.  I've never played this course before but I'm assuming that left is O.B.

In the first picture, how much would you have remaining to the hole from the intersection of the 4 squares at the end of your cone? That "+" looks like a pretty good spot to be if you can still go for the green from there (and it looks like you could).  

Assuming you were hitting driver nicely on the day, you might consider cutting off more of the corner, but if it were me, I'd evaluate how things looked if the center of my cone was aimed up the line of the left rough.  Looks like there's a fairly large tree through the FW just to the right of that line, but if you know you can fly the trees on the left, it looks like you're cutting off another 20-30y without bringing a whole lot more trouble into play.  I would be curious how big those trees are both on the left side and through the FW though, if you're hitting into them and get blocked out, I think the better play is just to play to the corner of the dogleg and have a bit longer approach in.

Thanks Drew - it looks like I'd be about 250 out at the "+" - this play would allow me to hit 3 wood off the tee and 3 wood into the green.  

Cutting the dogleg would reduce the yardage significantly but I really don't have any idea what those trees look like - they could pose a problem.  

3 Wood might be the play.
Cobra F7+ - Copperhead 70TX
Ping G15 - Looking to replace
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB (Looking to try the Black soon)

#153 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

• 2,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

View Postebrasmus21, on 07 May 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Thanks Drew - it looks like I'd be about 250 out at the "+" - this play would allow me to hit 3 wood off the tee and 3 wood into the green.  

Cutting the dogleg would reduce the yardage significantly but I really don't have any idea what those trees look like - they could pose a problem.  

What's your natural shot shape? Same with both driver and 3w?

Tough call if you're left with a 3w in, especially considering that if you miss on the far right of your cone, you're probably forced to lay up.  I think it all depends on the heigh of those trees on the left.  I'd definitely be looking to see if I could cut a little bit of the corner, but driver is a club that very rarely curves hard left on me, so I'm much more comfortable aiming relatively close to trouble on the left side, YMMV.
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x/Snell MTB

#154 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

View Postdrewtaylor21, on 07 May 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

Tough call if you're left with a 3w in, especially considering that if you miss on the far right of your cone, you're probably forced to lay up.  I think it all depends on the heigh of those trees on the left.  I'd definitely be looking to see if I could cut a little bit of the corner, but driver is a club that very rarely curves hard left on me, so I'm much more comfortable aiming relatively close to trouble on the left side, YMMV.

My normal shape is right to left when swinging well.  Driver has been tough for me as of late with me missing tons of shots out to the right.  

Depending on the tree situation maybe Iíll have to make the call based on how Iím swinging that day.
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2

#155 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

• 2,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

View Postebrasmus21, on 07 May 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

My normal shape is right to left when swinging well.  Driver has been tough for me as of late with me missing tons of shots out to the right.  

Depending on the tree situation maybe I'll have to make the call based on how I'm swinging that day.

If you hit it R to L, I like 3w and the cone in your first picture.  Hit it straight, you're fine.  If you happen to put a little bit more curve on it, you're cutting off the corner more.  Miss right and it's a 3-shot hole and birdie is still in the picture.  

But if those trees on the L are short and you're smoking driver that day.... :idhitit:
:)

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x/Snell MTB

#156 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

View Postdrewtaylor21, on 07 May 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postebrasmus21, on 07 May 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

Depending on the tree situation maybe I'll have to make the call based on how I'm swinging that day.

If you hit it R to L, I like 3w and the cone in your first picture.  Hit it straight, you're fine.  If you happen to put a little bit more curve on it, you're cutting off the corner more.  Miss right and it's a 3-shot hole and birdie is still in the picture.  

But if those trees on the L are short and you're smoking driver that day.... :idhitit:
:)

Thanks Drew, I appreciate the feedback.  

Hopefully Iím feeling confident enough to send it over the corner.  I think a good driver over the corner will leave 4 or 5 iron in.
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2

#157 Siper11

Siper11

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59202
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

View Poststickner, on 18 May 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

I was a Computer Science & Math major back in the day and I work in the Data Science field (advanced statistical analytics and predictive modeling).

I developed a stat tracking approach that delivers an ENORMOUS amount of insight compared to DECADE (that is not at all meant as a slam against DECADE as it is an amazing system!). To get all of that extra info however, you have to provide more data. It really is a simple equation - the more info you provide, the better insights you can achieve. Obviously there is a line in the sand somewhere with the info that is collected (e.g. asking how traffic was on the way to the course, while it may prove to be interesting, it is another piece of info that the golfer would need to provide).

I have been toying around with turning this into a free app.

Truth be told, there isn't much to putting it together. At its core it really is just a straight forward data entry system. The heavy lifting is in the analytics, modeling, and simulations I am doing. The balancing act is collecting as much info as possible without overburdening the golfer.

If I move forward with this, I will be looking for some testers to help get through the alpha/beta stages...

#158 Siper11

Siper11

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59202
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

You should build an app using the free version of Splunk. Hereís a cool blog you might find interesting - https://www.splunk.c...-my-swing.html. Imagine using your stats with ML to recommend shots based on real time performance

You should build an app using the free version of Splunk. Hereís a cool blog you might find interesting - https://www.splunk.c...-my-swing.html. Imagine using your stats with ML to recommend shots based on real time performance

#159 rebby

rebby

CNH 320

• 1,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65340
  • Ebay ID:traveler55413
GolfWRX Likes : 767

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

View PostSiper11, on 16 May 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

You should build an app using the free version of Splunk. Here's a cool blog you might find interesting - https://www.splunk.c...-my-swing.html. Imagine using your stats with ML to recommend shots based on real time performance

That sure beats the crap out of my Numbers Spreadsheet. I may have to give that a try.
G400, Atmos Blue 6x | TEE CB Pro F2, Atmos Red 7x
TM P730 3-PW, KBS $-Taper 125 - Miura 1957 2/4-PW, KBS Tour-V 125
Ben Hogan TK 53/58 - 52/57/62, KBS Wedge 130
Mann Mini - Cameron CT | TP5x | My WITB Thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors