Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's your opinion about the AJGA

49 replies to this topic

#31 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 5596

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 19 May 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Postagatha, on 19 May 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Scott Cartwright Cal Poly coach said he would rather have a player who can go really low one day and not so great another because it is a team sport.  I would have thought the same thing until he told me that regarding what he looks for.

That may be true for Cal Poly because he knows he can't recruit the players that are going to Stanford, USC or UCLA.   Plus the best players turn pro  and they lose them after a year or so.

Yeah but he does have a choice between recruiting players who shoot 72-73 all the time in junior golf and the ones who shoot in the 60s some of the time and the 80s some of the time.

Different coaches look for different things and a lot of them are not afraid of a project. Johnny Vegas was not much of a player when John Fields at Texas took a flier on him, but he was a big strong kid who had gone low in the odd tournament and who looked like he might have potential, and look at how well he turned out.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 agatha

agatha

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308263
GolfWRX Likes : 1300

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 19 May 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

I should also add if your shooting to go to a school like Cal Poly you probably not good enough.  The kids that go there probably had Stanford or Arizona state on their mind but are not scoring or winning enough so they end up there.

Plus Cal Poly is not really a school that is expensive and hard to get in from a academic point of view.

Yes he does actually, especially now since the program received a HUGE donation (10 million)  for just the golf program alone.  It is a very desirable university so he does get solid players.  They came out ranked 82 this year, that is in the top 30% of D1 programs.  I am well aware it is not a golf powerhouse but because he has such a great college behind him, the kids he gets are good, and now that he is actually having some money to work with it will only get better.
He was severely underfunded at .5 of a scholarship for whole program until the donation came in.  He had to rely on players who did not need money. http://www.giving.ca...anson-golf-gift

Edited by agatha, 19 May 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#33 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 19 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Yeah but he does have a choice between recruiting players who shoot 72-73 all the time in junior golf and the ones who shoot in the 60s some of the time and the 80s some of the time.

Different coaches look for different things and a lot of them are not afraid of a project. Johnny Vegas was not much of a player when John Fields at Texas took a flier on him, but he was a big strong kid who had gone low in the odd tournament and who looked like he might have potential, and look at how well he turned out.

If you kids is a project then getting recruited for college scholarship  is a risky prospect. For boys D1 college I would expect you need to see consistent scoring below par in tournaments.  Also if you this good at golf going pro is perhaps more important then college.

Boys have a tough time getting scholarships period they are probably better off thinking about going pro then college. If they don't make pro but are good then college is plan B.  

When it comes to girls it is completely different. In some case college is actually better then becoming pro or and in many cases something more realistic.

#34 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 19 May 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostThrillhouse, on 19 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

If you kids is a project then getting recruited for college scholarship  is a risky prospect. For boys D1 college I would expect you need to see consistent scoring below par in tournaments.  Also if you this good at golf going pro is perhaps more important then college.

Boys have a tough time getting scholarships period they are probably better off thinking about going pro then college. If they don't make pro but are good then college is plan B.  

When it comes to girls it is completely different. In some case college is actually better then becoming pro or and in many cases something more realistic.

No offence but the things you're saying that make sense here just seem to be parroting what other people who have more knowledge than you do are saying, and some of what you're saying is off the wall wrong. I don't see the point in explaining to you the error in your statements, so I'm just going to move on.

#35 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442640
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'm so confused how this thread spiraled into tiger posting his uneducated thoughts (it appears ) on the recruiting process .

A lot more kids play college golf that are projects then you'd believe . My coach took a flyer on me and I'm still a project halfway through but I'm so thankful for the opportunity he gave me at my school . Yes scholarship money is extremly hard to come by in college for golf , so having decent grades and test scores is soemthing I'd stress to kids looking to get recruited .
I'm going to turn out alright , but definitely wouldn't have if my coach hadn't taken the flyer on me and I had to stay north and didn't have the opportunities I have in Florida .

Looking good back if I was my coach I wouldn't have recruited me so I have no clue why he did but he did and I'm making an opputunity out of it .

#36 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostAaronwilson_95, on 19 May 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

I'm so confused how this thread spiraled into tiger posting his uneducated thoughts (it appears ) on the recruiting process .

A lot more kids play college golf that are projects then you'd believe . My coach took a flyer on me and I'm still a project halfway through but I'm so thankful for the opportunity he gave me at my school . Yes scholarship money is extremly hard to come by in college for golf , so having decent grades and test scores is soemthing I'd stress to kids looking to get recruited .
I'm going to turn out alright , but definitely wouldn't have if my coach hadn't taken the flyer on me and I had to stay north and didn't have the opportunities I have in Florida .

Looking good back if I was my coach I wouldn't have recruited me so I have no clue why he did but he did and I'm making an opputunity out of it .

I was a project, I only started playing when I was 14, got to scratch really quickly and played junior golf at a high level from 16-18, with some good finishes and not so good finishes. I had more offers for football than golf, decided on golf, and still wound up in D1. Recruiting is more nuanced than people think at times.

#37 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 19 May 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

No offence but the things you're saying that make sense here just seem to be parroting what other people who have more knowledge than you do are saying, and some of what you're saying is off the wall wrong. I don't see the point in explaining to you the error in your statements, so I'm just going to move on.

Unless you live in California, Texas Florida and perhaps Arizona your not really in a playing in a competitive field.  As a parent your job is try and figure out the best path for your kid. Plenty of tournaments will market that they will help in the college recruiting process.  Some are good others are simply a waste of money.  Coaches only take chances because there first picks are not available.

There is no reason to spend $10-15k on tournaments a year so you may get a scholarship. You better off just saving the money and paying for college. You can then pick where you want to go and apply plus you can afford to actually play golf for fun. If you want to do AGJA tournaments because you love the game and it's a chance to play at a high level then by all means go out and play.  If it happens you get recruited to play golf then even better.

Getting in the AGJA is a good way to get ranked for college but you need actually raw talent for it help.

#38 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 1616

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

Good thread with excellent input (as expected) from Heavy Hitter, Thrill, and Agatha.

I tracked expenses over the years with my daughter and the total "investment" is at about $48k.  That includes equipment, travel , tournament fees, instruction, club dues, etc.  Average of about $8k per year over 6 years.  She has earned a full athletic scholarship though worth about $55k per year, so still good ROI for us.

One thing I'd like to point out that may be unique to me is that I'm such a golf nut that there's nothing I'd rather spend my money on than traveling to watch my daughter compete. In that sense, even though it meant less self-indulgent vacations for me and the Mrs., it never felt like a sacrifice.  Caddying at the US Women's Am in Portland then driving down to play Bandon Dunes being one highlight!

#39 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

So what's the path for a kid that doesn't need scholarship money?  Lets say they want to play at a D1 school but the college coffers are already full.  Do they still go through the AJGA hoops, focus on USGA events, State championships?  I mean there are kids here in SoCal that really don't need any assistance...

#40 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 604

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

View Postleezer99, on 19 May 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

So what's the path for a kid that doesn't need scholarship money?  Lets say they want to play at a D1 school but the college coffers are already full.  Do they still go through the AJGA hoops, focus on USGA events, State championships?  I mean there are kids here in SoCal that really don't need any assistance...

I would assume same process.  When your kid contacts coaches he needs to tell them straight up that he doesn't need the money to pay for school.  Just the opportunity and in invite.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 1616

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Coaches love great players who don't need the scholarship money.  My daughter (starts college in the fall) has a future teammate whose parents have the resources to pay for her college and don't care about scholarship money.  She had offers elsewhere, but she'll be a walk-on.

Still need to prove yourself though, and the AJGA along with USGA national championships are the best for that.

#42 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

Yup same process to prove yourself, you still need to be good enough to play on the team, so AJGAs and USGA events are key. The big difference is that you'll have more options as you can fill out a roster, maybe go somewhere where you won't play a full schedule until your junior year, that sort of thing. Coaches still need good players for the 4-5 spot on the travel team and it's a major asset if you have one of those players on the lower end of the scholarship percentage so you can use that money at the top end of your lineup. When I played I had buddies doing this at Arizona, UNLV, TCU, SMU, and a bunch of other places, if you come from that background it's great because you really get to pick your experience.

I also knew some kids in junior golf who were in this boat who got to go to Ivy League schools (Harvard, Dartmouth, one kid went to Yale), who don't offer athletic scholarships (as far as I know). If you look at those rosters you'll see kids who played AJGA, who weren't at the top of it, but who used it to further their education and play college golf while they were at it. This angle is great because you can get into super competitive academic schools with slightly lower grades, and you get a phenomenal degree.

#43 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 19 May 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Yup same process to prove yourself, you still need to be good enough to play on the team, so AJGAs and USGA events are key. The big difference is that you'll have more options as you can fill out a roster, maybe go somewhere where you won't play a full schedule until your junior year, that sort of thing. Coaches still need good players for the 4-5 spot on the travel team and it's a major asset if you have one of those players on the lower end of the scholarship percentage so you can use that money at the top end of your lineup. When I played I had buddies doing this at Arizona, UNLV, TCU, SMU, and a bunch of other places, if you come from that background it's great because you really get to pick your experience.

This is also why a lot of school recruit foreign players as well.  Some of the countries have it set up with Universities that their government will pay for all or part of their education.  You see many of the schools going after these kids because it saves them scholarship money to offer on someone else.

#44 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 19 May 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

This is also why a lot of school recruit foreign players as well.  Some of the countries have it set up with Universities that their government will pay for all or part of their education.  You see many of the schools going after these kids because it saves them scholarship money to offer on someone else.
And don't international students pay more for tuition?

#45 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

View Postleezer99, on 19 May 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 19 May 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

And don't international students pay more for tuition?

Yes.  So do out of state students.  That doesn't have any effect in scholarship monies though.

#46 stehan

stehan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425834
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Yes. Sending your kids to tournaments ain't cheap but you have to do it for the "you never know" meaning he or she kicks butt or some coach notices them.  My son was not playing well as of a couple of weeks ago... (still not).  But he qualified for the Scott Robertson (top 5 Junior event) and we went down to Roanoke.  He was trudging along and was trying to figure something out on the range before his final 9 holes of day ( tournament was cut to 45 holes due to weather) .  There was a coach looking at my son hit some balls (top 10 program) asked me who his coach is and a couple of days later we got an invite to one of the top junior invitationals in the country.

#47 PKennedy13

PKennedy13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451412
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

View Postsui generis, on 16 May 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

I am privileged to referee several AJGA events in the Southeast each year and I'll tell you these are the best run junior competitions you'll see. My sense is that AJGA is essential for boys, but maybe not so for girls.
any chance you can get me in to one of them. I wish you could play one or two AJGA without a membership. It costs so much on top of having to pay for the event and my parents don't have the money laying around right now

#48 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:30 AM

View PostPKennedy13, on 29 May 2017 - 08:54 PM, said:

I am privileged to referee several AJGA events in the Southeast each year and I'll tell you these are the best run junior competitions you'll see. My sense is that AJGA is essential for boys, but maybe not so for girls.
any chance you can get me in to one of them. I wish you could play one or two AJGA without a membership. It costs so much on top of having to pay for the event and my parents don't have the money laying around right now

Look into the ACE Grant: https://www.ajga.org/acegrant/

#49 sui generis

sui generis

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
GolfWRX Likes : 1651

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

View PostPKennedy13, on 29 May 2017 - 08:54 PM, said:

I'm not an employee of AJGA; just a part of the show. The previous suggestion of the ACE Grant program would be worth a look.
Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

#50 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113938
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

View Postkekoa, on 17 May 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hey Thrill,

So in your opinion at what age do you really assess the kid's ability to see if it is worth it to spend such large amounts of money. At the 6-10 age range it really seems like the idea is to have fun and I get that.  But at what age do you really hunker down and say let go for it or lets just keep playing for fun.

At 12 you can start qualifying for AJGA Junior All Star tournaments.  There you will find out if need to wait or not.    My daughter wasn't quite ready at 12.  Went back at 13 and had marginal success.  As a freshman, age 14, she committed to an SEC school and that summer (turned 15 in middle of summer) won 2 AJGA open tournaments.  Now has played in 4 invitationals and basically everyone there is already committed or is going pro by sophomore year.  

Don't get me wrong, there are tons of scholarship opportunities for kids to get scholarships and sign LOI's even after their senior years, but they are at D2 or D3 and NAIA schools, again nothing wrong with that.  But the big schools, SEC, Pac 12, Big 12 etc, pick theirs early.  For my daughters class, 2019, she's a sophomore in high school, there is maybe 1 or 2 spots in the SEC for her class and has been that way since the fall.  

Get him/her out there and find out - some kids play better against better competition.  And get them playing the longest distances they can.  AJGA Girls play minimum 6000 yards, Invitationals play 6300.  Boys play 7000 and Invitationals play 7300+.  That's why the college coaches go there.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors