Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

MDLT Thoughts On Using The Arms

158 replies to this topic

#151 birly-shirly

birly-shirly

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62323
GolfWRX Likes : 2000

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

I think the book is a great place to start. Like anything, there must be limitations in transferring a teaching practice into a static written form, but juststeve has extensive first hand experience of Manuels teaching and what's in the book seems very authentic to what Manuel taught in person.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#152 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 1079

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

Places to learn:

1. Manny's Book.

2.  Manny's instruction video of you're a visual learner.

3.  John Hayes' book, Learning Golf With Manuel.

4.  Hayes's website has a link to a clinic instructed by Manny 25 or so years ago. A good watch.

5.  Manny's website has links to instructors who teach his method in various regions of the country.

Choose one or all but stick to Manny's method, even if it seems too simple to be correct.  Once you learn to do what Manny said to do, you will know it's correct.

Steve

#153 braveheart

braveheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 862
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks guys

#154 AlexCzervic

AlexCzervic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88805
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

View Postjuststeve, on 12 May 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

On other threads I have noticed that some have difficulty understanding what it means to swing the club forward with the arms, or to actually do it.  I hope my thoughts on thew subject will assist at least some of you.

An Observation.  Most everyone is able to move the club from over their trail shoulder to over their lead shoulder in the course of making a swing.  If you are doing that YOU ARE ALREADY SWINGING THE CLUB WITH YOUR ARMS.  If you don't believe me do an experiment.  Swing the club back over your trail shoulder, and then try to get the club over your leads shoulder without moving your arms.  You can't do it.  You can't move the club from over one shoulder to over the other with your hands, your wrists, your shoulders or your hips.  You are already moving the club with your arms.  You just need to keep that while eliminating things that aren't your arms.

Start with you hands.  Their function is merely to hold the club in the forward swing.  Starting with little swings and working up, eliminate any hint of independent hand action.  If you begin to feels your hands doing anything except holding the club, back off to shorter swings until your hands are passive, just holding the club.

Next focus on your wrists,  The hinge on the back swing and unhinge in the forward swing but they do so passively, as a result of gravity and the momentum of the swing.  Again work up from little to big swings allowing the hinging and unhinging to be purely a response.  No effort to snap the wrists, no effort to apply additional speed with the wrist, no tension, just swing the club from one side to the other and let the wrists react.

Eliminate interference from the forearms.  Your trail arm will extend through the shot, but it is a reaction to the speed of the arms.  Eliminate any hint of muscular effort to extend the trail arm, trust thew swinging motion to do it automatically.

The same notion applies to eliminating interference from  the shoulder, the hips, the weight shift,  etc.  When you are in fact moving the club from one side to the other, without allowing other body parts to interfere, you will be swinging the club forward with your arms, just as Manny taught.

Steve

I bet you have poor rotation and shoulder turn. My arms are trapped between my hands and shoulders and do what my hands ask them to do, very little. Arms are propelled by pivot in DS if you know how to make a BS. Stay in posture, do what your hands tell you...........piece of cake.

AX

#155 ricklinens

ricklinens

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464152
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

View PostAlexCzervic, on 17 June 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

..........piece of cake.

Many styles of cake, carrot cake, angel food cake, banana cake, cheese cake, or you may prefer cupcake.  In the end, just cakes.

Don't lead, follow, by getting out of the way

#156 Hilts1969

Hilts1969

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378062
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

Just ordered the 2014 edition of his book today. I shall report my great progress in due course

#157 SenorDiez

SenorDiez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471856
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

Hello WRX, long time lurker here, and stoked to make my debut in this thread.

A quick question for Steve, and I apologize if this has been addressed previously and I missed it. Does MDLT's method have a specific way of working the ball if necessary, or is it simple (like everything else!) and just making a change to target line and face angle at address?

This thread and the YouTube content I've viewed have been a lifesaver for my golf game. Steve, I truly appreciate your contributions!

#158 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostSenorDiez, on 18 June 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

Hello WRX, long time lurker here, and stoked to make my debut in this thread.

A quick question for Steve, and I apologize if this has been addressed previously and I missed it. Does MDLT's method have a specific way of working the ball if necessary, or is it simple (like everything else!) and just making a change to target line and face angle at address?

This thread and the YouTube content I've viewed have been a lifesaver for my golf game. Steve, I truly appreciate your contributions!

I align my body to the desired starting path and the club face to where I want the ball to finish. Then I swing the club along my body lines.  An old pre-Trackman method that still works.

Steve

#159 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

View PostAlexCzervic, on 17 June 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

View Postjuststeve, on 12 May 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

On other threads I have noticed that some have difficulty understanding what it means to swing the club forward with the arms, or to actually do it.  I hope my thoughts on thew subject will assist at least some of you.

An Observation.  Most everyone is able to move the club from over their trail shoulder to over their lead shoulder in the course of making a swing.  If you are doing that YOU ARE ALREADY SWINGING THE CLUB WITH YOUR ARMS.  If you don't believe me do an experiment.  Swing the club back over your trail shoulder, and then try to get the club over your leads shoulder without moving your arms.  You can't do it.  You can't move the club from over one shoulder to over the other with your hands, your wrists, your shoulders or your hips.  You are already moving the club with your arms.  You just need to keep that while eliminating things that aren't your arms.

Start with you hands.  Their function is merely to hold the club in the forward swing.  Starting with little swings and working up, eliminate any hint of independent hand action.  If you begin to feels your hands doing anything except holding the club, back off to shorter swings until your hands are passive, just holding the club.

Next focus on your wrists,  The hinge on the back swing and unhinge in the forward swing but they do so passively, as a result of gravity and the momentum of the swing.  Again work up from little to big swings allowing the hinging and unhinging to be purely a response.  No effort to snap the wrists, no effort to apply additional speed with the wrist, no tension, just swing the club from one side to the other and let the wrists react.

Eliminate interference from the forearms.  Your trail arm will extend through the shot, but it is a reaction to the speed of the arms.  Eliminate any hint of muscular effort to extend the trail arm, trust thew swinging motion to do it automatically.

The same notion applies to eliminating interference from  the shoulder, the hips, the weight shift,  etc.  When you are in fact moving the club from one side to the other, without allowing other body parts to interfere, you will be swinging the club forward with your arms, just as Manny taught.

Steve

I bet you have poor rotation and shoulder turn. My arms are trapped between my hands and shoulders and do what my hands ask them to do, very little. Arms are propelled by pivot in DS if you know how to make a BS. Stay in posture, do what your hands tell you...........piece of cake.

AX

Alex:

You would lose your bet.  Check out the video attached to post number 108 of this thread and tell me what's wrong with the rotation and shoulder turn of that nearly 70 year old man.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors