Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Do any juniors get sponsorship on clubs

50 replies to this topic

#31 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1308

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

View Postjuniorgolf18, on 01 June 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

Lots of replies already and most are correct.  Yes, you can definitely receive stuff.  My daughter get balls, hats, gloves, shoes, clothing, pretty much anything she needs or wants.  And has two other manufacturers trying to send her stuff to switch to them.

Just got back from a major invitational tournament this week and there they got as their "tee gift" - won't mention the name of manufacturer but are really pushing into junior golf - but they got golf shirt, workout shirt, leggings, hat, towel, 4 dozen balls, running shoes, socks, belt, super nice backpack, an Amazon Echo, a $150 gift certificate and probably something else I'm forgetting.  Had to bring an extra suticase just for the loot.  2 weeks before at Sergio's tournament, they got shoes, golf shoes, shirts and new M1 or M2 Driver.  This all in addition to the free stuff they can request whenever they want it.  It's crazy.  

And at these invitationals you get a travel "reimbursement" in an amount that is determined by where you came from - distance, driving or flying etc..

Wow!!  So I assume she is a top player in the AJGA circuit?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113938
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

View Postkekoa, on 01 June 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

View Postjuniorgolf18, on 01 June 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

Lots of replies already and most are correct.  Yes, you can definitely receive stuff.  My daughter get balls, hats, gloves, shoes, clothing, pretty much anything she needs or wants.  And has two other manufacturers trying to send her stuff to switch to them.

Just got back from a major invitational tournament this week and there they got as their "tee gift" - won't mention the name of manufacturer but are really pushing into junior golf - but they got golf shirt, workout shirt, leggings, hat, towel, 4 dozen balls, running shoes, socks, belt, super nice backpack, an Amazon Echo, a $150 gift certificate and probably something else I'm forgetting.  Had to bring an extra suticase just for the loot.  2 weeks before at Sergio's tournament, they got shoes, golf shoes, shirts and new M1 or M2 Driver.  This all in addition to the free stuff they can request whenever they want it.  It's crazy.  

And at these invitationals you get a travel "reimbursement" in an amount that is determined by where you came from - distance, driving or flying etc..

Wow!!  So I assume she is a top player in the AJGA circuit?

She's ok :) - she has won 2 AJGA Open's so far.  She works her butt off though.  She's a sophomore in high school.  And on these manufacturer deals, the reps come to these big tournaments and watch you, not as much your play as your demeanor, how you act, etc... All the contracts you sign to get this stuff, have behavior clauses.

I also replied to your comment on the AJGA/College discussion about when to get your kid out there.

#33 dan360

dan360

not a jacked loft

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6039

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

As a competitive junior player (1990-1995) I was sponsored by three local golf clubs and got "heavily discounted" merchandise from companies who rhyme with RING, SpiDooNo, Pie Zod, Pax Bye and Bake Dies

Edited by dan360, 01 June 2017 - 06:55 PM.

As of 01AUG2017

Mizuno JPX-800 9°
TaylorMade R7TPST 15°

Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron
Mizuno MP-33 3-P custom single length

Mizuno MP-T11 54/60
PING Anser 2 'pat pending' stainless 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
PING Hoofer green

#34 stehan

stehan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425834
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

For FULL sponsorship girls usually have to be ranked very very high.  Like top 30 polo rankings.  For Boys either in JGS, Polo, or Golfweek they should be ranked inside the top 250 to be "considered".  Shoes Balls Gloves and discounted clubs threshold is much higher however.

#35 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

View Poststehan, on 01 June 2017 - 10:39 PM, said:

For FULL sponsorship girls usually have to be ranked very very high.  Like top 30 polo rankings.  For Boys either in JGS, Polo, or Golfweek they should be ranked inside the top 250 to be "considered".  Shoes Balls Gloves and discounted clubs threshold is much higher however.

Boys yes.  Inside 250 and you get some stuff. The discounted club rate with one particular top ball maker ;) changes to higher discount the higher you rank.  But never free.  Some club manufacturers give clubs free.

Girls, I know many girls that are ranked in the 100's that get shoes, balls, gloves, hats, discounted clubs. Same with discounted clubs scale for girls. And again, some club companies give them clubs depending on rank.

#36 stehan

stehan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425834
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:46 AM

In response to Juniorgolf18.. I stressed FULLY sponsored.  Shoe ball glove deals are relatively much easier to get of course.  I called a major manufacturer whom we have a relationship with on behalf of a Junior girl who was ranked 54th at the time.  They told me they would put her on their "radar".

#37 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

It sounds like all of these discounts and free stuff starts when you are in high school. I'm not hearing many of you talking about younger kids getting all the free stuff. I coached high school golf for 15 years and I know high school and college kids get discounts on clubs, balls, merchandise, etc. Cobra and Taylormade have high school discounts programs and the discounts range between 25-40%. Callaway used to have a discount program but now you have to go through the area rep. Titleist has a great program for high schools on bags, balls, and hats. Ping has a good program as well for golf bags only. They don't do anything on clubs until kids get to college. Bushnell and Leupold have discount programs on range finders for high schools as well. This is for all high schools and their players, not just select ones.

#38 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

View PostGolfingdawg19, on 09 June 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

It sounds like all of these discounts and free stuff starts when you are in high school. I'm not hearing many of you talking about younger kids getting all the free stuff. I coached high school golf for 15 years and I know high school and college kids get discounts on clubs, balls, merchandise, etc. Cobra and Taylormade have high school discounts programs and the discounts range between 25-40%. Callaway used to have a discount program but now you have to go through the area rep. Titleist has a great program for high schools on bags, balls, and hats. Ping has a good program as well for golf bags only. They don't do anything on clubs until kids get to college. Bushnell and Leupold have discount programs on range finders for high schools as well. This is for all high schools and their players, not just select ones.

If you put up numbers, you can get a deal.  I know several 11 and 12 year olds that have deals.  One lives with me.

#39 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

View Poststehan, on 09 June 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

In response to Juniorgolf18.. I stressed FULLY sponsored.  Shoe ball glove deals are relatively much easier to get of course.  I called a major manufacturer whom we have a relationship with on behalf of a Junior girl who was ranked 54th at the time.  They told me they would put her on their "radar".

True. We didn't get ALL the gear till she hit top 30.  Now they want to bring you in to HQ and fit you, etc etc.

Top 150 and under will get you, like you said, balls, gloves, discount or free shoes, hats and discounted clubs with certain companies.

Edited by juniorgolf18, 09 June 2017 - 06:26 PM.

#40 moonshine

moonshine

I'm finally a LTD believer

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 596

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostAC168, on 16 May 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

If you are good and 14 or over, you should get at least 40% off or free if you are very good.
Yeah maybe, but as another mentioned they don't need a circle T putter.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 wrxman

wrxman

Philippians 4:13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161993
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:eba2pass
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:55 AM

Would you all stop calling it "sponsors" or "sponsorships?" That is so wrong and sounds terrible. Juniors cannot be sponsored, it breaks basically every rule in the amateur status book.

Junior's may receive clubs, clothes, accessories, etc. from companies free of charge. It is not breaking any amateur status laws in any way. But, juniors may not receive monetary prizes or money for advertising or "pushing" a certain company.

There is really no say on what you need to be ranked to receive clubs, balls, etc. If junior representatives from companies see someone they like or someone they feel that are currently or could do big things down the road, they will most likely reach out and try to get you to be a part of their "junior team" or "junior staff".

Every company has their requirements. Titleist, Nike, and Callaway probably being the most harsh on "brand loyalty". With companies such as Taylormade and Cleveland/Srixon being a little more laid back. In the end they want you to play your best, (obviously with their equipment) and be excited to be a part of their "team".

The better you play the more you will receive and more perks you will get, I.e. Circle T's and paid trips to get fitted.

Well that's about all I have to say.

As always, all the best,
Dom

Edited by wrxman, 15 September 2017 - 12:56 AM.

Driver: GBB Epic SZ 9* w/Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63
3 Wood: GBB Epic SZ  w/Project X LZ 60 Handcrafted
Hybrid: Big Bertha OS w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85
Driving iron: Apex UT 18 w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Irons: Apex Pro 5-PW w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Wedges: Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56, 60 w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Putter: Bettinardi BB34 DASS
Ball (Testing): Chrome Soft X vs. TP5X

#42 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

View Postwrxman, on 15 September 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

Would you all stop calling it "sponsors" or "sponsorships?" That is so wrong and sounds terrible. Juniors cannot be sponsored, it breaks basically every rule in the amateur status book.

Junior's may receive clubs, clothes, accessories, etc. from companies free of charge. It is not breaking any amateur status laws in any way. But, juniors may not receive monetary prizes or money for advertising or "pushing" a certain company.

There is really no say on what you need to be ranked to receive clubs, balls, etc. If junior representatives from companies see someone they like or someone they feel that are currently or could do big things down the road, they will most likely reach out and try to get you to be a part of their "junior team" or "junior staff".

Every company has their requirements. Titleist, Nike, and Callaway probably being the most harsh on "brand loyalty". With companies such as Taylormade and Cleveland/Srixon being a little more laid back. In the end they want you to play your best, (obviously with their equipment) and be excited to be a part of their "team".

The better you play the more you will receive and more perks you will get, I.e. Circle T's and paid trips to get fitted.

As always, all the best,
Dom

I will say it.  Karl Villips is sponsored by Taylormade.  

They do sponsor Juniors.  Sponsors can't pay them directly.  They can give them free equipment, balls, cloth, and even pay for travel.  That is a sponsorship no matter how you look at it.

#43 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 15 September 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

As always, all the best,
Dom

They do sponsor Juniors.  Sponsors can't pay them directly.  They can give them free equipment, balls, cloth, and even pay for travel.  That is a sponsorship no matter how you look at it.
That's just stuff though. He's not getting a paycheck.

#44 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

View Postleezer99, on 15 September 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

As always, all the best,
Dom

sponorship not always about getting a check. They are sponoring you by giving you free stuff, paying for your travel. We have sponorships for my daughter softball team... do they pay us, no buy they buy gear and offset travel. Its still a sponorship at the end of the day.  Its splitting hairs to call it anything else.

#45 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

As always, all the best,
Dom

Nike sponsors University of Tennessee.   Nike gives them no money.  They give them free goods in a cash amount to spend at retail pricing in exchange for them buying certain custom cloth products and footwear.  Is that not a sponsorship?

#46 wrxman

wrxman

Philippians 4:13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161993
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:eba2pass
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 15 September 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

As always, all the best,
Dom

Nike sponsors University of Tennessee.   Nike gives them no money.  They give them free goods in a cash amount to spend at retail pricing in exchange for them buying certain custom cloth products and footwear.  Is that not a sponsorship?

Taylormade does not Sponsor Karl Vilips, a sponsorship means the athlete gets paid. Nike also doesn't sponsor the University of Tennessee. Nike may be the official brand of UT but they must pay the university in order to sponsor them.

Sponsors for golf outings either pay the golf outing or donate to it, PGA Tour players are payed to be sponsored.

I don't feel this is a very hard concept to grasp.

As always, all the best,
Dom
Driver: GBB Epic SZ 9* w/Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63
3 Wood: GBB Epic SZ  w/Project X LZ 60 Handcrafted
Hybrid: Big Bertha OS w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85
Driving iron: Apex UT 18 w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Irons: Apex Pro 5-PW w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Wedges: Mack Daddy Forged 52, 56, 60 w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Putter: Bettinardi BB34 DASS
Ball (Testing): Chrome Soft X vs. TP5X

#47 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

View Postwrxman, on 16 September 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

As always, all the best,
Dom

Taylormade does not Sponsor Karl Vilips, a sponsorship means the athlete gets paid. Nike also doesn't sponsor the University of Tennessee. Nike may be the official brand of UT but they must pay the university in order to sponsor them.

Sponsors for golf outings either pay the golf outing or donate to it, PGA Tour players are payed to be sponsored.

As always, all the best,
Dom

sponsorship doesn't mean they get paid. It is defined as financial support, they are supporting the young golfer by providing him free gear, clothing travel, everything but a paycheck. That is a form of sponsorship.

#48 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:06 PM

View Postwrxman, on 16 September 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

As always, all the best,
Dom

As always, all the best,
Dom

Sponsorsip has nothing to do with getting paid.  

Here is the definition for you.

Sponsoring something (or someone) is the act of supporting an event, activity, person, or organization financially or through the provision of products or services. The individual or group that provides the support, similar to a benefactor, is known as sponsor.

#49 BNGL

BNGL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

https://www.google.c...-free-stuff/amp

I wasn't the best in college, but decent enough to get equipment and shoes and apparel. It's a super nice perk, something that I worked hard for. Only regret is not taking advantage of it, I only switched drivers once in college. Never changed fairway wood or hybrids. As for irons I only changed once, even then it was just a fresh set. Wedges I changed to new models. I knew some people that changed every chance they had...idk I kinda think it paid dividends for me now, because I kept in touch with my contact and he offers every now and then some equipment. My buddies say they have been shut out entirely.

#50 ethanshapiro

ethanshapiro

Titleist Convert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374155
  • Handicap:2.9
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostNoles, on 12 May 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

View PostPhunkyPhil, on 12 May 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Karl Vilips is 15 and he is sponsored by Taylormade for clubs and Adidas for clothes, he has been sponsored by Mizuno when he was much younger too.
How does that not effect his amateur status and NCAA eligibility?
He is on the TaylorMade junior golf program. NOT a sponsorship. TM/adidas gives him clothes, balls, clubs, etc. because he has demonstrated that he is an elite junior golfer. The idea is that one day he could turn pro and stay loyal to TM and THEN generate revenue as a marketable player. He hasn't made a dime off of the junior golf program unless you consider that he's saving money on clubs

Titleist 915 D3 Tour Issue 9.5' (Set to A1) Tour AD-DI 6X
Titleist 915F 15' (Set to B3) Tour AD-GT 6X
Titleist 915H 21' (Set to D1) Oban DEVOTION O5 65g
Titleist 710 AP2 24' (JDM Release) Tour AD 105X
Titleist 716 CB 5-P Aerotech Steelfiber i125X CW
Titleist SM5 50' 08F Project X 7.0
Titleist SM6 54'08M Tour Chrome DG S200
Titleist SM5 62' 08T Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2015) SuperStroke Squared
Titleist PRO V1 2017

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Postethanshapiro, on 28 September 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

View PostNoles, on 12 May 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

View PostPhunkyPhil, on 12 May 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Karl Vilips is 15 and he is sponsored by Taylormade for clubs and Adidas for clothes, he has been sponsored by Mizuno when he was much younger too.
How does that not effect his amateur status and NCAA eligibility?
He is on the TaylorMade junior golf program. NOT a sponsorship. TM/adidas gives him clothes, balls, clubs, etc. because he has demonstrated that he is an elite junior golfer. The idea is that one day he could turn pro and stay loyal to TM and THEN generate revenue as a marketable player. He hasn't made a dime off of the junior golf program unless you consider that he's saving money on clubs

By definition, that is a sponsorship.

In fact, that is only part of the idea.  He is given this sponsorship to influence other kids he is playing with and against now.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 28 September 2017 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors