Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Do any juniors get sponsorship on clubs

52 replies to this topic

#1 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

I am wondering do any juniors get paid to play certain clubs? I wouldn't be surprised if they got older but I notice some parents really push certain brands of clubs and even wear clothing only from certain brands.

I am asking this because I am starting to seeing kids who play national events and win getting PXG equipment and there wearing clothes to go with it. Now it could be they just like the irons but I wonder about that since the cost of that equipment.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 853

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 10 May 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

I am wondering do any juniors get paid to play certain clubs? I wouldn't be surprised if they got older but I notice some parents really push certain brands of clubs and even wear clothing only from certain brands.

I am asking this because I am starting to seeing kids who play national events and win getting PXG equipment and there wearing clothes to go with it. Now it could be they just like the irons but I wonder about that since the cost of that equipment.

No.  They can't be paid as it will remove amateur status.  It also will make them ineligible to play high school and NCAA Golf.  They can take in to a certain value amount of product before they become ineligible or lose amateur status.

Juniors can get a sponsorship or Staff deals and receive free goods including clubs, hats, outerwear, gloves, balls, etc.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 10 May 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

No.  They can't be paid as it will remove amateur status.  It also will make them ineligible to play high school and NCAA Golf.  They can take in to a certain value amount of product before they become ineligible or lose amateur status.

Juniors can get a sponsorship or Staff deals and receive free goods including clubs, hats, outerwear, gloves, balls, etc.

The first rule of staff and player deals is that there are no staff and player deals.

#4 PhunkyPhil

PhunkyPhil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444154
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Karl Vilips is 15 and he is sponsored by Taylormade for clubs and Adidas for clothes, he has been sponsored by Mizuno when he was much younger too.

#5 From_Parts_Unknown

From_Parts_Unknown

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123904
GolfWRX Likes : 883

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

The answer is 'yes', unless you are a USGA or NCAA employee investigating amateur status, then the answer is 'no'.

#6 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

View PostPhunkyPhil, on 12 May 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Karl Vilips is 15 and he is sponsored by Taylormade for clubs and Adidas for clothes, he has been sponsored by Mizuno when he was much younger too.
How does that not effect his amateur status and NCAA eligibility?

#7 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 1803

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

Most of the top manufacturers have "player" programs for promising juniors.  Usually it's at a steep discount or manufacturer's cost. Taylormade offers a blanket 40% discount to AJGA members with a $2500 annual limit.

Pay to play is a no-no though.

#8 tbrumbeloe13

tbrumbeloe13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323529
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostNoles, on 12 May 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

His equipment is either free or heavily discounted. Taylormade has always been generous with juniors anyways. Buying an AJGA membership gives you a code for 40% off online purchases, up to $2500 a year. Not sure if the code is lifelong or until you're not a "junior". It does work year after year though. I've used it to buy clubs recently.

#9 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 407

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

I have played with a few top jrs and to my knowledge the companies just send them whatever they need at no cost. Two kids were with Nike then went to Titleist and another kid has been with Titleist as long as I have known him.

These kids have been sent the newest equipment when it came out, circle t putters, all sorts of stuff.

I am not sure how this effects their NCAA eligibility but I am thinking no effect. TM and Callaway and Titleist have all come to major D1 campuses trying to get kids into the new gear and will fit them and leave it with them. I am not sure if it has to be returned but I dont think it does. I cant imagine this is ok but a club company sending clubs to a kid is not ok.

#10 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 5644

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

It was just starting back when I was a junior, now it has really grown. The major OEMs have player programs and the juniors get whatever they want. With Taylormade this includes trips to the kingdom, access to tour issue stuff, personalized Kia ma putters (not sure if he's still there). When Nike was still making clubs juniors got invited to the oven, etc.

Some of the OEMs also do a carrot/stick type thing with these programs. For example titleist is pretty restrictive with the circle ts these days and uses them to get players to use the rest of their gear, and they have a tendency, say if you wanted to use their wedges, to say "we'll help you out with wedges if you play our ball".

The idea is to develop loyalty so you can sign the ones who pan out when they turn pro to endorsement deals. A lot of the reason why titleist signs so many good young players is that they have historically been very good at taking care of amateurs and college players.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

View Postblaird, on 16 May 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

...... but a club company sending clubs to a kid is not ok.

Actually it's perfectly acceptable, see rule 6-2:

http://www.usga.org/...s.html#!rule-06

#12 AC168

AC168

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4684
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

If you are good and 14 or over, you should get at least 40% off or free if you are very good.

#13 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1348

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Along the same lines- Can a company pay a kid's way to play in certain tournaments?  I'm talking flight, hotel, food, entry fee?  I was talking with a dad at a Regional US Kids tournament in Phoenix a few months ago and he mentioned that several of the kids are getting 'stuff' taken care of by sponsors.

#14 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:23 PM

View Postkekoa, on 16 May 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Along the same lines- Can a company pay a kid's way to play in certain tournaments?  I'm talking flight, hotel, food, entry fee?  I was talking with a dad at a Regional US Kids tournament in Phoenix a few months ago and he mentioned that several of the kids are getting 'stuff' taken care of by sponsors.

Nope.  They would be ineligible by High School and NCAA guidelines.

#15 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

That's rule 4:

http://www.usga.org/...s.html#!rule-04

The gist of it is that an amateur (or junior) is allowed to have their expenses paid by a "sponsor" (in my experience it's just a wealthy individual helping a kid out who doesn't come from means), but they aren't allowed to advertise for that sponsor in return, it has to be a gift.

#16 WLSTR

WLSTR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 462978
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:36 AM

It's difficult to get. A 12 year old scratch golfer I know who wins many tournaments has no offers.

#17 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 16 May 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

That's rule 4:

The gist of it is that an amateur (or junior) is allowed to have their expenses paid by a "sponsor" (in my experience it's just a wealthy individual helping a kid out who doesn't come from means), but they aren't allowed to advertise for that sponsor in return, it has to be a gift.

NCAA guidlines

http://www.goredfoxe...DB_OEM_ID=27700

Bylaw 12.1.2-(f). An individual loses amateur status through the receipt of pay, which includes actual and necessary expenses or any other form of compensation to participate in athletics competition (while not representing an educational institution) from a sponsor other than an individual upon whom the athlete naturally or legally is dependent or the nonprofessional organization that is sponsoring the competition.

Bylaw 12.1.2.-(j). An individual loses amateur status through the receipt of pay, which includes any payment, including actual and necessary expenses conditioned on the individual's place finish or performance or given on an incentive basis, or receipt of expenses in excess of the same reasonable amount for permissible expenses given to all individuals involved in the competition.

If a nonprofessional organization pays the expenses then the kid may receive travel funds, etc.  I would assume that a professional Organization would be an agent or manufacturer paying for the kids expenses.  The way I am reading it, if the Nonprofessional Sponsor of the tournament pays for expenses and travel to the tournament, it is OK.  If say Boomer Golf (made up OEM not to throw the real ones under the bus) pays for the expenses including travel then they would be ineligible.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 17 May 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#18 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

That's rule 4:

NCAA guidlines

Bylaw 12.1.2-(f). An individual loses amateur status through the receipt of pay, which includes actual and necessary expenses or any other form of compensation to participate in athletics competition (while not representing an educational institution) from a sponsor other than an individual upon whom the athlete naturally or legally is dependent or the nonprofessional organization that is sponsoring the competition.

Bylaw 12.1.2.-(j). An individual loses amateur status through the receipt of pay, which includes any payment, including actual and necessary expenses conditioned on the individual's place finish or performance or given on an incentive basis, or receipt of expenses in excess of the same reasonable amount for permissible expenses given to all individuals involved in the competition.

If a nonprofessional organization pays the expenses then the kid may receive travel funds, etc.  I would assume that a professional Organization would be an agent or manufacturer paying for the kids expenses.  The way I am reading it, if the Nonprofessional Sponsor of the tournament pays for expenses and travel to the tournament, it is OK.  If say Boomer Golf (made up OEM not to throw the real ones under the bus) pays for the expenses including travel then they would be ineligible.

Just so we're clear I've never heard of an OEM covering expenses for a kid to go play in a tournament, what I was referring to is cases I have seen where an individual (I've seen businessmen, lawyers, doctors, and retired athletes do it) covers the expenses for trips to tournaments, no advertising or anything like that is involved.

I would think that if titleist was paying expenses for juniors that would not be ok.

#19 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 17 May 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

That's rule 4:

NCAA guidlines

Just so we're clear I've never heard of an OEM covering expenses for a kid to go play in a tournament, what I was referring to is cases I have seen where an individual (I've seen businessmen, lawyers, doctors, and retired athletes do it) covers the expenses for trips to tournaments, no advertising or anything like that is involved.

I would think that if titleist was paying expenses for juniors that would not be ok.

Wanted someones thoughts on Kekoa's question if a Sponsor could pay for kids expenses.  If an OEM sponsored a kid and paid for the expenses it would make that kid ineligible by NCAA guidelines.  A US Kids tournament is being run by a Professional organization.  They aren't paying for any kid to participate in their tournaments.  If they did, that kid or kids would be ineligible.  My daughter played in the USGA girl's Junior and they paid for everything when she was there.  USGA is a nonprofessional organization that is a 501©(4).  I believe a 501 ©(4) non profit organizations can pay those expenses, but anyone else considered a Sponsor not under that non profit umbrella would make that kid ineligible to play for the NCAA.  I actually have a couple of calls out to some of my buddies that are AD's to get an answer.

#20 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

I have found this link as well which is a very good read.  It still isn't really clear to compensation for travel expenses.  The NCAA is strict as all gets.  I would be very careful taking travel expenses from anyone unless I checked with the eligibility centers first.  It is hard for me to fathom anyone paying for a kid to go to a US Kids Regional.  The US Kids regionals aren't even big events.

https://www.usga.org...caa vs usga.pdf

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

So here is what I got from an AD I know that has a friend in NCAA compliance.  I was wrong.... and that is hard for me to admit.... LOL

NCAA eligibility not at risk.  Players can accept those things as long as the selection of their participation in tournament is based on merit  and not trying to get them to sign a deal.  No other compensation can be awarded.  

It still sounds shady to me.

Still waiting to hear from the high school athletic association.

#22 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

According to most State High School Associations, you would also be eligible to play.

#23 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1348

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

So here is what I got from an AD I know that has a friend in NCAA compliance.  I was wrong.... and that is hard for me to admit.... LOL

NCAA eligibility not at risk.  Players can accept those things as long as the selection of their participation in tournament is based on merit  and not trying to get them to sign a deal.  No other compensation can be awarded.  

Out of this entire thread- My only real takeaway is that heavy_hitter is human and can actually be wrong.  :ban: :taunt:

#24 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

So an OEM could cover expenses? That would be interesting.

Man the NCAA has some convoluted rules, guess that's why so many lawyers work for them lol. It seems so hard to be compliant because compliance doesn't seem to be based on the black letter of the guidelines, but rather based on how they have made decisions in the past and how they have interpreted those guidelines. All of this would be fine if those decisions were readily available to the public but to my knowledge they aren't.

#25 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 13204

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

I don't know about juniors, but a few OEMs have contacted me and said they would pay me NOT to play their clubs.

Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50

Callaway Steelhead XR / 25º / Matrix Ozik Program F15 65S
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Forged and MD-PM 54º / 58º UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

#26 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 17 May 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

Man the NCAA has some convoluted rules, guess that's why so many lawyers work for them lol. It seems so hard to be compliant because compliance doesn't seem to be based on the black letter of the guidelines, but rather based on how they have made decisions in the past and how they have interpreted those guidelines. All of this would be fine if those decisions were readily available to the public but to my knowledge they aren't.

I was absolutely shocked.  

When my daughter signed her LOI back in November, there were documents she had to sign saying she hadn't accepted this or that.  Apparently, about the only thing you can't accept is prize money.

#27 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

When my daughter signed her LOI back in November, there were documents she had to sign saying she hadn't accepted this or that.  Apparently, about the only thing you can't accept is prize money.

It's one of the reasons I asked because I have heard rumors that some kids are getting quite a bit of stuff. I know some countries  like Canada will even support families to play golf  So for a lot us it is not a level playing field.

http://golfcanada.ca/team-canada/

This was taken from the website

"Members of Team Canada have the ability to be nominated to Sport Canada to become a carded member of the Athlete Assistance program, an initiative of Sport Canada to assist amateur athletes in off-setting expenses to allow them to focus their time and energy on elite performance. Tuition credits are also sometimes available through the Athlete Assistance program.
Golf Canada believes that players involved with Team Canada will be much better prepared to qualify and compete at international events and/or go on to a professional golf career."

#28 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 18 May 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

It's one of the reasons I asked because I have heard rumors that some kids are getting quite a bit of stuff. I know some countries  like Canada will even support families to play golf  So for a lot us it is not a level playing field.

http://golfcanada.ca/team-canada/

This was taken from the website

"Members of Team Canada have the ability to be nominated to Sport Canada to become a carded member of the Athlete Assistance program, an initiative of Sport Canada to assist amateur athletes in off-setting expenses to allow them to focus their time and energy on elite performance. Tuition credits are also sometimes available through the Athlete Assistance program.
Golf Canada believes that players involved with Team Canada will be much better prepared to qualify and compete at international events and/or go on to a professional golf career."

The assistance the Asians from other countries are given by the other countries is huge.  They send mom, dad, kids over here and put them up.  They provide everything financially to the families for the kid to become successful.  If they don't, they go back to that country and have to pay the money back.  These kids and families have little to no interest in college.  It is PGA/LPGA or bust.

#29 PKennedy13

PKennedy13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451412
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

View Posttbrumbeloe13, on 12 May 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

View PostNoles, on 12 May 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

His equipment is either free or heavily discounted. Taylormade has always been generous with juniors anyways. Buying an AJGA membership gives you a code for 40% off online purchases, up to $2500 a year. Not sure if the code is lifelong or until you're not a "junior". It does work year after year though. I've used it to buy clubs recently.
srixon is also very nice to amateur golfers. Not as much juniors. I have a friend who is playing at Xavier next year and he can get free Srixon and Cleveland clubs just because he's a college golfer

#30 juniorgolf18

juniorgolf18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113938
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

Lots of replies already and most are correct.  Yes, you can definitely receive stuff.  My daughter get balls, hats, gloves, shoes, clothing, pretty much anything she needs or wants.  And has two other manufacturers trying to send her stuff to switch to them.

Just got back from a major invitational tournament this week and there they got as their "tee gift" - won't mention the name of manufacturer but are really pushing into junior golf - but they got golf shirt, workout shirt, leggings, hat, towel, 4 dozen balls, running shoes, socks, belt, super nice backpack, an Amazon Echo, a $150 gift certificate and probably something else I'm forgetting.  Had to bring an extra suticase just for the loot.  2 weeks before at Sergio's tournament, they got shoes, golf shoes, shirts and new M1 or M2 Driver.  This all in addition to the free stuff they can request whenever they want it.  It's crazy.  

And at these invitationals you get a travel "reimbursement" in an amount that is determined by where you came from - distance, driving or flying etc..

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors