Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 5 votes

Someone's lyin' about their golf game when they....

194 replies to this topic

#151 cardoustie

cardoustie

haha, we don't play for 5's

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5150

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

I've learned in my 36 years of golf that there are a lot of compulsive liars out there (we can all go sideways)

Dude, I can tell you're not a deuce.  

It's not your score, it's the compression

TaylorMade '16 M2 11* Fuji Speeder TS 660TRx
Callaway GBB 3w 14* Diamana BB 63x
Callaway GBB 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
Callaway Apex 4h MCC MFS 85HB  Orange x
Callaway Apex 5h Matrix Red Tie Altus x
Titleist '18 T-MB's 6-PW Nippon Modus Tour 105x
Titleist Vokey SM4 TVD 50* M Nippon 1150gh x
Titleist Vokey SM4 TVD 56* M dgs400
Titleist Vokey SM5 62* T grind dgs400
Titleist Scotty Cameron X7M (25g weights)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#152 Sanders74

Sanders74

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374421
  • Ebay ID:popeandyoungx2
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

That's whats great about golf you make as many excuses or lies as you want the only one that gets fooled is yourself..

I can make that 3 footer 9 out of 10 so that was a birdie.
Callaway GBB
915 16.5
Hybrid 20 Deg. Callaway X2 Hot
Vokey SM6 46,50,54,58
Scotty Cameron Custom shop
716 AP2's
Best Ball most recently found. : )

#153 dapadre

dapadre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210169
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:10 AM

View Postpearsonified, on 12 June 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

I played in a 1-day tournament with skins (for birdies or better only), and one of the dudes in my group was a guy I'd played with once before.

During our previous round, dude hit a garbage tee shot left into the woods on a par 4 where...you don't wanna be left in the woods. His ball crossed into the hazard probably 180 yards away from the hole with absolutely no shot because of a large tree sitting at 130.

Instead of taking a proper drop at 180, homey goes up to 130 (clear of the tree, and maybe 5 yards short of where his ball would have landed...30 yards into the woods), hits a great shot, and eventually makes a 5.

It was raining; he wasn't going to win the tournament; and I didn't feel the need to correct this guy's sh*tty drop on the 17th hole of the day. I left it alone, but I classified the dude as a cheat from that point on.

Fast forward to our 1-day tourney + skins, and dude jacks his drive so far left on the difficult par 4 15th hole that it lands on a house roof—waaaay OB. He plays a provisional and does the same thing, only farther left. Then he plays a second provisional and takes a f*cking divot with a 3-wood and pops the ball out there maybe 215 with at least 225 left to the pin. No bueno.

Since he was only +2 at the time, Cheatin' Charlie was committed to his "get out of jail free" strategy the second we walked off the tee to go find our balls.

Somehow, dude "finds" his first ball 15 yards inside the OB fence, 30 yards away from the roof he hit, and just in front of a cactus with a lie decent enough to chop it back out into the fairway and advance it maybe 110 yards.

I had already told another player in our group the guy was a cheat, and we just laughed as he proclaimed that he found his first ball. Of course, he proceeded to chop out a nice recovery shot to 110, and then he jars his 3rd shot from there for a miraculous "birdie."

That shot won him $80 worth of skins, and then his eventual 3rd place finish won him another $60.

Son of a b*tch would have scored 100 on that hole alone if he hadn't cheated.

And cheaters never win? Don't be so sure. If you see a guy pulling this blatant sh*t on the course, I advise you to jump his a$$ right then and there.

I always walk with these types to look for their ball. Fool me once but not twice.
Ping I20 driver 9.5Deg
TM Aeroburner FW 3
Ping I20 5wd
TM Aeroburner 4HY
Callaway XR pro 5-GW
Pursuit forged wedges 56 & 60
Odyssey BackStrike Putter

#154 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52783
GolfWRX Likes : 499

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

I've found myself in the awkward position of having to drop some truth on a few people I've been paired up with over the years. It would usually go something like this,

Him"You hit the ball a long way. I usually hit it around 260 off the tee. You must be hitting it over 300 yards?"

Me" No, that one was about 280 (it's a solid 50 yards past his drive and I usually play from the tips)"

Him"Really?"

Me"Yes. I can hit it over 300 occasionally, but it's by no means every time."

I imagine he thought I was the liar at that point. The distance obsession is probably the biggest thing people lie about. It's funny how you hardly ever hear anyone brag about their putting.

Edited by rainkingjr, 13 June 2017 - 01:49 PM.

Cobra F7+ Fujikura Pro 61 stiff
Tour Edge Exotcs E8 3 wood Fujikura Pro 72 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics E8 UST Recoil 670 stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW DG Pro S300
Cleveland RTX 3 Tour raw 56 and 60
Odyseey White Hot Pro V-Line
Snell MTB

#155 cutchemist42

cutchemist42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 393526
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

When I hear someone proclaiming low 80s/70s, and then play with them and realize they dont play provisional and only +1 for lost balls.

#156 dunz

dunz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467090
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

It's funny I found this. I never followed golf that much until this year. I never knew how the HCP system worked until this year as well. Again, I was always ignorant over the years regarding golf but I'd still ask my coworkers "how good are you at golf?" Only to have each of them claim a 10-12hcp and one claim a 8hcp. The proclaimed 8hcp'er said if his driver is on-point he's closer to scratch. Once again, I had no idea what they meant, but, I'd assume that was good and that they're right.

Well, fast forward to this year. I'm still a golf "padawan" but I have an idea how the HCP system works and can kind of call bluffs. Whenever the same coworkers discuss their golf outings in meetings or at the coffee machine, all I hear is "I shot 97 on Saturday" or "TJ shot a 105 and Morgan shot a 91" - these are the same guys who told me they were 10s 12s and 8s. You may be thinking "maybe they had a bad weekend?" Nope. When I view their posted score history at the clubs they play at, I see HCPs in the 20s+. Am I missing something?

#157 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1006

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

When a guy says he plays "a little bit", then mysteriously drops a 68 on you........lol

#158 santasquatcha

santasquatcha

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418640
  • Handicap:20+
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

Self admitting hack here...

This thread actually has pointed out some of my behavior that must be obnoxious for others...

-narration
-exaggeration of game / scores
-etc

Now at least I am conscious of was better players think when we play together.  And keep a positive attitude, ready golf, and works out better now.

Over the last year I have remade the swing a bit and took some lessons. Probably play 90-95 now, with most strokes around the green.
Even though I'm thinking about golf all the time, try not to discuss it as much.
Mini-Driver, Taylormade Aeroburner,14*, Matrix 60g S
4h - 5h, Adams Tech V4.0, S
6 - PW, Titleist 712CB, modus120S
GW, 49*, Adams Tech V4.0, S
GW, 51*, Cleveland 588
SW, 56-11*, Titleist Vokey SM4
LW, 60-07*, Titleist Vokey SM4
Putter, Odyssey White Hot #6

#159 MeikoKaji

MeikoKaji

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439826
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:49 AM

What is it with very competitive friends (sorry, Koreans, but seriously, what is it?) who can't just accept that you are better?  If they can't beat you they try to find someone who can.

Very Competitive 'Friend' (VCF):  Meiko, this guy's really good like you.  I think you'd have a great match.  We should play together.

Small country, not a tournament player i recognize, but, who knows...

Me:  oh, great, what club you play at?
VCF's Friend (gets all up in my craw):  Club Swampwater (most expensive club in the country, 25 year wait)
Me (i had to step back he was so in my face):  oh, we just had the Interclub championships there.  But, I didn't see you.
VCF's Friend (face changed immediately, only top 4 from each club qualify, he's not good enough for the team):  What club you play for?
Me:  Club SmotherHook (we beat them at home in the championship).  I halved Farty McFartFace, your club champion (and arguably best amateur in the country), in the finals.
VCF's Friend (steps back): oh....
Me:  Yes, let's have a match.

Crickets.  It's been 4 weeks now and they're just too busy at work, travel, kids got sick now everyone's sick, summer vacations coming, let's do it after that, blah, blah, blah....

Edit:  if he really was a '3 or a 4' as he claimed, he'd be on the team.  easily B team at worst.  the club captain didn't choose him ever in the last 10 years that i've competed there so i know he's BS.

Edited by MeikoKaji, 14 June 2017 - 05:06 AM.

#160 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 925

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

View PostMeikoKaji, on 14 June 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

What is it with very competitive friends (sorry, Koreans, but seriously, what is it?) who can't just accept that you are better?  If they can't beat you they try to find someone who can.

Very Competitive 'Friend' (VCF):  Meiko, this guy's really good like you.  I think you'd have a great match.  We should play together.

VCF's Friend (gets all up in my craw):  Club Swampwater (most expensive club in the country, 25 year wait)
Me (i had to step back he was so in my face):  oh, we just had the Interclub championships there.  But, I didn't see you.
VCF's Friend (face changed immediately, only top 4 from each club qualify, he's not good enough for the team):  What club you play for?
Me:  Club SmotherHook (we beat them at home in the championship).  I halved Farty McFartFace, your club champion (and arguably best amateur in the country), in the finals.

Crickets.  It's been 4 weeks now and they're just too busy at work, travel, kids got sick now everyone's sick, summer vacations coming, let's do it after that, blah, blah, blah....

Edit:  if he really was a '3 or a 4' as he claimed, he'd be on the team.  easily B team at worst.  the club captain didn't choose him ever in the last 10 years that i've competed there so i know he's BS.

Hm. When someone avoids a friendly round with you because 10 seconds after introductions you are grilling them about why they werent good enough for some club team it might not be them....

Epic SZ 10.5*, Not Sure Yet
X2 Hot Deep 15*, Kuro Kage TiNi 70
a4 Forged 3-SW, x100
Vokey SM6 K 58*, DG spinner
BeCu Pal2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#161 8thehardway

8thehardway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1428
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:desalj
GolfWRX Likes : 389

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

I played with someone who marked his putts closer to the hole and was very obvious about it. He was having a terrible round and needed to drain a 6-footer to break 100. After he marked it he had 5 feet left but I guess t h at wasn't good enough because he mumbled something and remarked it to just under four feet and his buddy said it was 'good.'
driver 10.5*
5w 19*
hybrid 23*
irons 23 - 41*
wedges 45, 50, 54, 60*
Tom Slighter Needle mallet since 2008
74* lie, 3* loft, 451g headweight

#162 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

View Post8thehardway, on 14 June 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

I played with someone who marked his putts closer to the hole and was very obvious about it. He was having a terrible round and needed to drain a 6-footer to break 100. After he marked it he had 5 feet left but I guess t h at wasn't good enough because he mumbled something and remarked it to just under four feet and his buddy said it was 'good.'

That's what buddies are for :taunt:
15 hcp

#163 MeikoKaji

MeikoKaji

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439826
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:25 PM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 14 June 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

View PostMeikoKaji, on 14 June 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

Hm. When someone avoids a friendly round with you because 10 seconds after introductions you are grilling them about why they werent good enough for some club team it might not be them....
that's a good outcome though.  let me type slowly so you can understand.  the thread is "Someone's lyin' "...

Clearly dude 1 was misrepresenting himself or me to dude 2.  That prompted dude 2 to over estimate himself to me.

The first dude is really competitive but never breaks 90, throws clubs, etc...but always wants a match.  Goes to golftec for a few weeks, comes back, challenges me again.  It's no longer fun.  Nice guy outside of golf, though.

Anyway, i don't want to play with them.  So, i'll stick with people who know themselves.

#164 ratdg1

ratdg1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274359
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

I don't play for money if I don't know the person and haven't played with them at least 4 or 5 times before, so I don't really care whether they lie or not.
Ping G25 9.5*
Titleist 910F 3w
Titleist 910H
Maltby MMB-17
Cleveland 588 Rtx 52*, 56*
Bettinardi BB54 Tour Proto

#165 Jwin323

Jwin323

Major Winner

• 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 398184
  • Handicap:3-7
GolfWRX Likes : 699

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

View Post8thehardway, on 14 June 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

used to play against this guy in our TeamPlay matches who would always race out of his cart to the green and toss his marker out in front of his ball (sometimes a foot or more) and pick his ball up before the rest of us got to the green. Someone else actually clued me in on this and I was able to catch him doing it once. I asked him if he was sure he was marking correctly he replied "Are you callin' me a cheater?" I said no, then proceeded to inflict some pretty nasty spike marks on his line and remind him it was against the rules to fix them. Problem solved.

#166 uitar9

uitar9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349721
  • Handicap:LOL
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

Going out this morning with a client and a couple others from work. Scanning through the excuses. Gonna add a few to the repertoire. Actually thought one of the things us golfers have to learn is to build up a good list of feeble excuses for shooting a score which actually represents our HCP.

#167 ucfdad

ucfdad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252538
  • Handicap:12.2
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostOne85, on 10 June 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

How about the guy who is a self-proclaimed, single-digit handicaper, who rolls it everywhere and gives himself 3' gimmies?
There is a guy at my club who takes at least 1 mulligan each round and has never putted it from 3 feet or less.  He does post his scores using equitable stroke control and his index is a 16.  He will shoot a 9 on a hole, and because of ESC, he writes down a 7.  So at the end of a round, instead of a 95, his card adds up to an 87.  Ask him what he shot and he says 87.  I say I didn't ask what you posted, I asked what you shot.  He doesn't see the difference.  We are a similar index, but he always scores better than me because he only counts to 7, drives me nuts.
Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Wilson Staff D200 19* and 22*
Ping Crossover 5
Ping G, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Ping Glide, 58 SS
Scotty Cameron Futura X5R
Snell MTB

#168 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 13262

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

I will never understand why people would fabricate falsehoods about their golf games. They know what they are saying isn't true, so what do they get out of it? Do they do so looking for praise and accolades? The funny thing is most people don't care about about the self-aggrandizer's golf game. Being proud of one's accomplishments is one thing, lying about them is another.

I am very realistic about my golf game, be it my ability, how far I hit the ball, or what have you. As such I play tees that are appropriate to my ability, focus on course management, and don't attempt shots I haven't practiced.

For me the game is about scoring, not what clubs I play, or what tees I play from, or how far I hit the ball. And, in order to know my ability vis-a-vis a handicap it is incumbent on me to follow the rules, count every stroke, post every score (no matter how good, or how bad).

Lying about what I do on the golf course accomplishes nothing...gives me nothing.

A bit of a segue, but I don't cotton much to excuses either. You know, the guy on the first tee who says he hasn't played in a while, or his back hurts, or he's being audited by the IRS, or whatever.
Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50

Callaway Steelhead XR / 25º / Matrix Ozik Program F15 65S
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Forged and MD-PM 54º / 58º UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

#169 Big Oh!

Big Oh!

Knownuttin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429242
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Chrismixx
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

View Postnix, on 09 May 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

View PostJack Pearsall, on 09 May 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

...when you see their driver and it has momentous crown marks, but yeah, you hear how they bomb it...in fifteen years, JP has never had a crown mark on any wood...

...they carry a ball in their pocket all the time during play...sorry, you are probably going to cheat at some point, which is, you know, something that happens...

Their neck skin is pasty. You can't play and be pasty, sorry. Not even an Irishman.

..When they say that their driver doesn't have crown marks.  They ALL have them.

Also, I always carry a ball in my pocket because i am very liable to lose a ball and I'm not about to hold up play to go back to the cart to get a ball.
I was taught to carry an extra ball so I wont hold up play when I lose a ball.
Driver - Taylor Made M2 (2016)  10.5 Degrees
Fairway - Taylor Made M2 HL (2016)  16.5 Degrees
Hybrid -Ping G Series 17 Degrees

Irons - Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Mizuno MP-T5, 54 and 58 Degree
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

#170 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 925

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostSean2, on 15 June 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

I will never understand why people would fabricate falsehoods about their golf games. They know what they are saying isn't true.

Thats your mistake. They think it's true. Every single one of them. Golf is maddening (and incredibly ripe for lying *to yourself* because (1) it is the repetition of the same thing over and over and (2) it doesn't require any outward physical obvious trait to claim prowess (unlike, for example, if some 5'11" 270 lbs guy claimed to be able to dunk, you have no idea if they are right or not).

Golf is also one of the only pursuits where sheer time gets you absolutely nothing. Unless your doing the right things you won't get better but since you've put in the time you feel like you should be, and therefore are, better.

When you ask a golfer how good he is he will you how good he thinks he should be given his time and money investment, because that's how he measures it in his own head. He isn't lying. Your just using score as a metric whereas he is using effort and practice time not realizing that, to quote snoop dog, deserve ain't got s*** to do with it.

They "get out of it" that they don't have to admit to themselves that their just as good as five years ago despite all the time and cash because they just beat balls at nothing when their "working" on their game. They don't have to admit that their either idiots or that they're too lazy/unhumble to admit what their feeling as correct is actually wrong.  I had a guy actually tell me he never wanted to see himself on video "because he is a feel player". I would bet a whole lot of $$ that someone who doesn't "want" to see video of themselves lies constantly to themselves and others about their swing and their game.

There are a ton of golfers who put in a ton of time and absolutely stink bc they don't know how to get better but because of the time (and money, in some cases) they have an inflated view of themselves as being just one tip away. Like loosening a pickle jar before it finally opens.  They're delusional but not liars.  IMO of course.

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 15 June 2017 - 09:34 AM.

Epic SZ 10.5*, Not Sure Yet
X2 Hot Deep 15*, Kuro Kage TiNi 70
a4 Forged 3-SW, x100
Vokey SM6 K 58*, DG spinner
BeCu Pal2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#171 Striker Ace

Striker Ace

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465814
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

I've heard that golfers are worse than fisherman.

#172 JonPacNW

JonPacNW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470810
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

You can lie to me all day. I don't really care. Usually I'm smirking behind your back at how much you care about what some stranger thinks about your game.

It's the guys that lie to themselves that disappoint me. They get their club distances from watching the PGA tour and pull wedge from 150 when you haven't seen them make clean contact the entire round. These guys need to be honest with themselves if they ever want to improve.

Also, I don't know if this counts as lying, but the guys who decide they're your coach when their swing has more problems than yours. Unless you're a certified pro willing to give a free lesson, don't pretend you know how to fix anybody else's swing during a round.

#173 EJohnB

EJohnB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56404
  • Ebay ID:ejbuesing
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 09 May 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

What IS a crown mark? (Asking for a friend.)
A mark on the top of the club from a ball hit at the very top of the face - normally a "sky ball"

#174 PhilTickelson

PhilTickelson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115587
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

I hear the 'swing changes' excuse a lot. To be fair, I've adjusted my grip this year though and holy crap, never has such a small change had such an impact on my game.

Ball flight is completely different than before, distances are off when the wind is up, what a big change this has turned out to be! It's absolutely had an impact on my scores(somedays in a positive fashion, somedays the other way :)  ).

I give swing change guys a break, cause it is really hard to ingrain a swing change. Normally, the more they try to explain about the swing change, the less likely it is they are really going through a swing change....

#175 eHawleywood

eHawleywood

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401744
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

View Postrainkingjr, on 13 June 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

I've found myself in the awkward position of having to drop some truth on a few people I've been paired up with over the years. It would usually go something like this,

Him"You hit the ball a long way. I usually hit it around 260 off the tee. You must be hitting it over 300 yards?"

Me" No, that one was about 280 (it's a solid 50 yards past his drive and I usually play from the tips)"

Him"Really?"

Me"Yes. I can hit it over 300 occasionally, but it's by no means every time."

I imagine he thought I was the liar at that point. The distance obsession is probably the biggest thing people lie about. It's funny how you hardly ever hear anyone brag about their putting.

I'm in the same boat.  Its amazing what some people think about their distances because of that one time the tees were moved up and they drove it downwind downhill to a certain numbered plaque/sprinkler.  I like to show them their GPS-measured shot distance when we get to their ball.

View Postdunz, on 13 June 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

I never knew how the HCP system worked until this year as well. Again, I was always ignorant over the years regarding golf but I'd still ask my coworkers "how good are you at golf?" Only to have each of them claim a 10-12hcp and one claim a 8hcp.

No offense, but it always tickles me what people think a handicap is.  I'm pretty sure most people think its like the best score to par they've ever shot or something, not what it actually is.  Anytime someone starts with "probably" or has to think about it I know to completely ignore it and instead ask what they normally shoot (then add 10 or so, depending on how high it is, for all the mulligans, improper/free drops, and gimmes they definitely take).  I don't care unless its for money, but having not played my first tournament until I was an adult, its eye opening for the average whatever recreational golfer to realize what they'd actually average if they played by all the rules.

View PostPhilTickelson, on 07 July 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

I hear the 'swing changes' excuse a lot.

I agree.  Been there, done that, twice.  I get it, and understand if someone says they'll probably have some good, some bad, and mostly just average shots.

Edited by eHawleywood, 07 July 2017 - 06:02 PM.

Ping G LS 8 Aldila Tour Green atx65 TX
Titleist 915F 15.75 70x S+ Blueboard
Mizuno MP-H5 2, 4 N.S.Pro 1150GS TS
Mizuno MP-25 5-P N.S.Pro 1150GS TS
Mizuno JPX850f GW, T7 56.14
Edel DVR 60
Bettinardi Studio Stock #16

#176 mallrat

mallrat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 1125

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:09 PM

They keep reminding you about their 235 yard 5 iron that you don't remember or care about.

They are complaining about pace of play when you turn in under 1:45.

They are complaining about the guys 3 holes over having too much fun.

#177 aliikane

aliikane

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

When they and their buddies have to revert to use over the top gamesmanship to disrupt other player's games.

#178 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

I see the opposite regarding handicaps.  Often I hear someone say "I average 85 so I am probably a 13 or so".  When you play at a club where the Slope is near 140 or the rating is near 74, someone who averages 85 can easily be a 7 or 8 capper.  (Best 10 of last 20 for an inconsistent player)

#179 ratdg1

ratdg1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274359
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

The bet lie/excuse I've ever heard was yesterday.  We played Longaberger from the blues, 6,664 yards 72.2/134.  Guy shoots a 110.  His response? "Next time we need to play from the tips.  I was too close and had to use my 9 iron too much."
Ping G25 9.5*
Titleist 910F 3w
Titleist 910H
Maltby MMB-17
Cleveland 588 Rtx 52*, 56*
Bettinardi BB54 Tour Proto

#180 Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125845
GolfWRX Likes : 1186

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

View Postratdg1, on 09 July 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

The bet lie/excuse I've ever heard was yesterday.  We played Longaberger from the blues, 6,664 yards 72.2/134.  Guy shoots a 110.  His response? "Next time we need to play from the tips.  I was too close and had to use my 9 iron too much."

Oh man. Those tricky 9 iron approaches. I'm sure he'd much rather have a 3 iron into every green. Poor guy.

Driver - 2016 M2 HL w/ Kuro Kage TINI proto X Stiff
3 Wood - 2016 M2 HL w/ Diamana Blueboard Stiff Flex
3/4 Irons - Mizuno MPH5 w/ KBS Tour 125 S+
5-PW - Mizuno MP25 w/ KBS Tour 125 S+
Wedges - Callaway MD3 51/56/60 w/ KBS Wedge Flex
Putter - Scotty Cameron Kombi S

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors