Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Observations From a Golf Course Employee

276 replies to this topic

#271 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6973

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

Sounds like a course with boring greens.

I couldn't play 140 times a year at a course where being in the proper portion of the green offered no advantage over being somewhere else on the green instead. Too monotonous.

I really can't think of any examples of courses I've played and wanted to return to again and again in which the proper shots do not depend at all on where that day's hole is located. Probably the best course I can think of like that is Ganton GC in Yorkshire. A great many of Gantons greens are fairly flat and on most of them you could probably just hit to the middle every time and do well. But that course is so fiendish from tee to green that one doesn't really need a lot of greenside challenge and it also does have a few more sloping and/or contoured greens (4th, 16th, 17th, a couple others I can't recall numbers of).

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#272 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251340
  • Handicap:BIG
  • Ebay ID:ctmason
GolfWRX Likes : 1162

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

What I still take away from this thread is that most amateurs would improve if they would hit the ball the distance they want to more often.

#273 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

If my tee shots all found the fairway and my iron shots always went the distance they're supposed to I absolutely guarantee you I'd shoot much better scores. And while I'm dreaming, if I could also one-putt every green that would be great, too.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#274 fillwelix

fillwelix

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 09 January 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

If my tee shots all found the fairway and my iron shots always went the distance they're supposed to I absolutely guarantee you I'd shoot much better scores. And while I'm dreaming, if I could also one-putt every green that would be great, too.

Man, if I was better at golf, I'd be a better golfer!
WITB
Taylormade M2 2016 9.5*       Fuji Speeder Evolution IV 589 X
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL       PX HZRDUS Black 75g S
Mizuno MP33 3i                       Dynamic Gold S300
Taylormade P770 4i-5i             Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 S
Taylormade P730 6-PW           Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM6 50 57                     True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Taylormade Hi-Toe 64               KBS Hi Rev Wedge
Byron Morgan DH89

#275 mcd22

mcd22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490106
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

Playing in a charity scramble one year, get to a par 3.  Our entire group looks at the yardage on the scorecard, kind of look at the hole and we all pull 8 irons.  We climb the steps up to the tee box and it turned  out this was a hole where a pro hit a tee shot for each group that you could elect to play.  The pro was Todd Hamilton maybe a year after he won The Open, he was holding a 6 iron.  We all kind of sheepishly go back to the cart and pull our sixes.  Of course none of us get close tp getting there, and Hamilton hits to about three feet.  Given the elevation change, the wind, the cold weather - we hackers should have been hitting hybrids probably.  The guys in my group were all around 10-12 handicaps so not good golfers but not beginners either.  The point being, that knowing how far you really hit a club in given conditions, I know is a weak spot for me and probably for a lot of others.  

p.s. - we all four yacked up the birdie try that Hamilton set up for us.

Remembered another part of the story, I swung so hard that I pull hooked the ball 50 yards left.  I was going to just leave the dang ball where it was and pretend it never happened.  Hamilton shouts from the tee box and starts pointing out where my ball was so I could find it.  So a major champion pretty much forced me into the golf walk of shame.

Edited by mcd22, 12 January 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#276 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

View Postfillwelix, on 11 January 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 09 January 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Man, if I was better at golf, I'd be a better golfer!

I know, right?

#277 8thehardway

8thehardway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1428
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:desalj
GolfWRX Likes : 516

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

View PostHot Rod 71, on 17 September 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

I play with a guy in his mid 70s quite often. He's a good player but could be great with better course management.

One day we were on our 14th hole getting set to hit our approach shots. Its a 350 yard par 4, up-hill with bunkers across the front of the green (a must to avoid). Of all the rounds I've played with him, he ended up in one of those bunkers more often than not. One day he asked me for the yardage to the pin. I gave him a number with an additional 15 yards added on. He scoffed "145....what?? the sprinkler head show 130!" I said just hit the 145 shot.

Well, guess what? He was pin high 5 feet away. He arrived at the green and couldn't believe it. He made a birdie. Our next round together we are on the same hole and this time I offer no yardage; I wanted to see what he would do. He chooses his club from almost the identical yardage as before and proceeds to hit it in the bunker....again. I looked at him and said "what was that? didn't you add the 15 yards like last time??"

"No" he replied, " I didn't think I needed to. I hit my 8 iron 130 so that's what I hit". Imagine the look on my face....."didn't we just talk about this a few days ago?" I said. "Yes, yes we did" he replied. I didn't know what else to say. "didn't you hit a 7 iron last time" I asked. "Yes, I did" he says. "....and you made birdie, right?" "yes I did".

You can lead a horse to water.....

I know a horse like that... 16th hole is a straight 360 yards, trees lining both sides and a narrow stream bisecting the fairway at 230 yards. My buddy can just clear the stream with a great drive, leaving a 110 approach or lay up to 145 and take a 9 iron in. He always hits a maximum-effort drive and 7/10 times pulls it left into woods or water.

One day in a tight match I persuade him to take a hybrid... easy layup, easy par. Next time out he hits a maximum-effort hybrid for a closer layup, pulls it into the woods and says 'if I'm gonna do that I might as well take the driver' which he did for the rest of the year.
Callaway Big Bertha 12.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Kasco hybrid 23*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors