Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Interesting rules violation@ local Uskids tournament

75 replies to this topic

#1 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1351

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:35 AM

Ok so here is the deal.  My son who is now 7 has been playing uskids golf since he was 5.  Last weekend was the second to last tournament to the tour championship.

On the 7th hole my son hit his drive.  He hopped into the cart and we went to his ball.  All of the sudden I hear another player in our group yelling that my son isnt supposed to be riding in the cart during a hole. Ok, so we proceed to hit our second shot and make par.  We go on to the 8th hole (par5). We only have 78 yards in and proceed to chunk one. Short chip for our 3rd and it just gets worse. We end up making double and the other guy in our group makes eagle. Ouch!!  So now we are tied with the other guy coming into hole 9.  We make par and he makes bogey. We win by 1 right? WRONG!!!

As we approach the scoring table the other player who is also agood friend starts talking about a 2 stroke penalty for riding in the cart and instead of coming in first we are now second.  At this point Both my son and I are pretty livid.  Needless to say the rules state that cart infractions result in a 2 stroke penalty.

What do you guys think?  Wrong or right we have never called anyone out for the cart infraction. I get the whole 'protecting the field thing' but I think 2 strokes for a player riding in a cart for a 140 yards is harsh and ridiculous.  On top of that, in looking at the us kids website there is no mention of 2 strokes penalty for the infraction.

Interested to hear some other views.

Edited by kekoa, 02 May 2017 - 03:06 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 anth

anth

From the Land Down Under

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22863
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 838

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:48 AM

So where was it stated that riding in a cart was a penalty? I assume you were the only ones in a cart?
Callaway GBB Epic 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
Srixon Z 545 5 - AW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 54 & 60
TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Limited
TaylorMade TP5

#3 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,448 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:08 AM

The organizer pulled out a us kids rules pamphlet.  No our competitors were using a cart as well.  Us kids only allows transporting the player from green to the next tee.  Players are not allowed to ride in the cart during a hole.

#4 xxio

xxio

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:46 AM

Penalize the others who were violating as well.

Rule should apply to all.

#5 cubuffs

cubuffs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2942
  • Ebay ID:phillbre
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:31 AM

Sorry to hear about - I am sure your Son was disappointed.

I would use this as an opportunity and a teaching lesson with your Son - which I am sure you did.

My view (this coming from a Father of 2 golfers and a coach of a highly competitive youth travel baseball team) Regardless of thoughts on how harsh anyone thinks this is - the rule is the rule and breaking a rule has implications - I would keep it as simple as that.  While I agree that the punishment is a bit harsh, Iwould never let my boys know that directly.  Regardless of age - being able to look at the face in the mirror knowing whatever achieved was done the right way - that should be the main goal.

Keep your Son positive - sounds like he is very talented!

#6 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

View Postkekoa, on 02 May 2017 - 02:35 AM, said:

Ok so here is the deal.  My son who is now 7 has been playing uskids golf since he was 5.  Last weekend was the second to last tournament to the tour championship.

On the 7th hole my son hit his drive.  He hopped into the cart and we went to his ball.  All of the sudden I hear another player in our group yelling that my son isnt supposed to be riding in the cart during a hole. Ok, so we proceed to hit our second shot and make par.  We go on to the 8th hole (par5). We only have 78 yards in and proceed to chunk one. Short chip for our 3rd and it just gets worse. We end up making double and the other guy in our group makes eagle. Ouch!!  So now we are tied with the other guy coming into hole 9.  We make par and he makes bogey. We win by 1 right? WRONG!!!

As we approach the scoring table the other player who is also agood friend starts talking about a 2 stroke penalty for riding in the cart and instead of coming in first we are now second.  At this point Both my son and I are pretty livid.  Needless to say the rules state that cart infractions result in a 2 stroke penalty.

What do you guys think?  Wrong or right we have never called anyone out for the cart infraction. I get the whole 'protecting the field thing' but I think 2 strokes for a player riding in a cart for a 140 yards is harsh and ridiculous.  On top of that, in looking at the us kids website there is no mention of 2 strokes penalty for the infraction.

The rule is right here on the website and specifically states that riding will result in a two shot penalty: http://www.uskidsgol...ies/cart-policy

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 856

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

I agree with the rule.  Personally, I don't think the caddies should be allowed to use carts to transport the clubs and I don't think the kids should be allowed to be transported between holes.  It is a golf tournament, everyone should walk.

Use it as a learning experience.

#8 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,448 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Leezer. I definitely need to pay attention to the rules more as well. It's time to invest in a clicgear.

#9 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

View Postkekoa, on 02 May 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

Thanks Leezer. I definitely need to pay attention to the rules more as well. It's time to invest in a clicgear.

It is great exercise.  The only time I ever rent a cart is when I think it has a chance to rain.  When the kids get older, renting a cart to spectate is just too much money.  If you do it right, once they hit 12 the kids will be playing around 15 two day tournaments in a year.  That is 30 carts for around $20.00 a pop.  There are a lot better things to spend $600 on than a cart rental.

#10 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

View Postkekoa, on 02 May 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

Thought for sure you'd have one already! �

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 02 May 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

I agree with the rule.  Personally, I don't think the caddies should be allowed to use carts to transport the clubs and I don't think the kids should be allowed to be transported between holes.  It is a golf tournament, everyone should walk.

Its a time saver for sure.  At those young age groups, the distance between hole and tee can be very long.  Some kids don't move as fast...especially in the heat.  We want to keep kids coming back at that age, not give them another reason to decide they don't like golf anymore.

#12 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

I have a little different viewpoint.  Its the player's responsibility (and at this age the caddy) to know and follow the rules.  By breaking the rule you put the other contestant in a bad spot.  Say nothing and allow you to break the rule without consequence or say something and be looked at by some as the bad guy.  Its unfair to think in any way that they did anything wrong at all.  As soon as they mentioned the rule about the cart, you should have taken it on yourself to find out the penalty and assess it to yourself.   I  hope you are not offended but you have no reason to be "livid" all.

#13 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostNoles, on 02 May 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Its a time saver for sure.  At those young age groups, the distance between hole and tee can be very long.  Some kids don't move as fast...especially in the heat.  We want to keep kids coming back at that age, not give them another reason to decide they don't like golf anymore.

I see your viewpoint.  

In our local foundations tournaments they allow usage of carts as explained.  In fact, they allow usage all the way up to the high school kids for the very reason you explain.  I see this as recreational golf.

I see US Kids as a step up and for the most part these kids are all in and ready to compete.  11 years and up they have to walk the 18.  10 years and down are 9 hole competitions and 9 holes isn't that far for someone wanting to compete.  My take is if they can't walk 9 holes by themselves, then they really aren't ready to compete.  I personally think that US Kids start them too young, but that is an entirely different topic.

#14 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,448 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostNoles, on 02 May 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

I have a little different viewpoint.  Its the player's responsibility (and at this age the caddy) to know and follow the rules.  By breaking the rule you put the other contestant in a bad spot.  Say nothing and allow you to break the rule without consequence or say something and be looked at by some as the bad guy.  Its unfair to think in any way that they did anything wrong at all.  As soon as they mentioned the rule about the cart, you should have taken it on yourself to find out the penalty and assess it to yourself.   I  hope you are not offended but you have no reason to be "livid" all.

I agree.  The infraction was 100% my fault.  After we teed off my son was sitting in the cart and I just drove to the ball.  Total brain fart.  Anyhow, we are 20 points off the lead so we have a lot of work to do in order to win the Tour Championship.  Luckily, its a double points event.

Thanks for all the input

#15 2bGood

2bGood

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
  • Handicap:3-8
GolfWRX Likes : 2574

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:06 PM

Funny thing is the minute I read in your post that he hoped in the cart I thought "wow they allow that in those tournaments" then I read on to find out that this was the "rules violation".

Seems like the penalty was well warranted and I am the view that it was not option to apply it, but once it was brought to your attention it had to be applied. You should actually thank the other parent for making sure you and the official were aware of the violation as I am sure you would feel terrible if your son had one and later found out it was a tainted victory.

It a great learning opportunity for both of you. You can console you son by talking about DJ and his caddy missing in important tournament rule.

Edited by 2bGood, 02 May 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#16 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 2471

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

7 year olds have a Tour Championship?
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast11 9
Fairway: Adams Fast 10 15*
Hybrids: Adams Pro DHY 18*, Adams DHY Proto 21
Irons: Ping Eye 2, 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM5, 54 & 58
Putter: Cameron Mid Sur Studio Stainless, 35"

#17 TheGeekGolfer

TheGeekGolfer

Just beat the Huskies! Go Cougs!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103159
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Your kid is going to have many more opportunities to win and lose golf tournaments. Whether he wins this one is of minor importance. More important, is how he handles losing and growing as a person and player. Take the penalty in stride, it's in the rules, that's how you play. Tell him you should have assessed the penalty yourself since the rule was violated. Look the winner in the face and shake his hand, say "good job and I look forward to the challenge of our next match". Go practice and play and continue to enjoy this great game and life!

#18 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 2471

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

You were "livid" in front of your son ... because you broke a rule and got called on it ... during a tournament for 7 year olds?

Might be time for some self reflection.
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast11 9
Fairway: Adams Fast 10 15*
Hybrids: Adams Pro DHY 18*, Adams DHY Proto 21
Irons: Ping Eye 2, 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM5, 54 & 58
Putter: Cameron Mid Sur Studio Stainless, 35"

#19 nicelife

nicelife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205951
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:25 PM

The use of "we" in this interesting. Is this a Sports Dad talk? I called out the we's for review with a few notes.

On the 7th hole my son hit his drive (*note The kid is playing alone here).  He hopped into the cart and we(*note Normal use of we) went to his ball.  All of the sudden I hear another player in our group yelling that my son isn't supposed to be riding in the cart during a hole. Ok, so we (*note Here WE go) proceed to hit our second shot and make par.  We go on to the 8th hole (par5). We only have 78 yards in and proceed to chunk one. Short chip for our 3rd and it just gets worse. We end up making double and the other guy in our group makes eagle. Ouch!!  So now we are tied with the other guy coming into hole 9.  We make par and he makes bogey. We win by 1 right? WRONG!!!

As we approach the scoring table the other player who is also a good friend starts talking about a 2 stroke penalty for riding in the cart and instead of coming in first we are now second.  At this point Both my son and I are pretty livid.  Needless to say the rules state that cart infractions result in a 2 stroke penalty.

#20 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,448 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

View Posttatertot, on 02 May 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

You were "livid" in front of your son ... because you broke a rule and got called on it ... during a tournament for 7 year olds?

Might be time for some self reflection.

Please don't misconstrue this as me going crazy on my son or anyone else around because it wasn't like that at all.  Dissapointed is probably a better word.  Primarily for getting too caught up in the moment and not thinking.  Secondly, for not paying more attention to the rules specific to these events.  I'm familiar with the rules of golf as I used to play tournaments as well.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 1492

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

Depending on how livid you were, you might be owing some folks an apology.  Only one to be livid at is yourself.  But as mentioned above, more important than golf score is the learning experience for your son.  Integrity and self-accountability and all that good stuff he's supposed to learn from golf.

Edit:  I see you weren't all that livid...

Edited by LeoLeo99, 02 May 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#22 fawley

fawley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3167
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

My son is 6 and is just starting his first season on my club's junior team. My hopes for the season are that he has fun and loves getting out there, and that he pays attention to his coaches and learns how to play the game.  I hope he and his team does well, but that is less important to me.

One of the biggest challenges for my son is that he holds himself to a very high standard, and can get upset or down on himself when he doesn't do as well as he'd like to, or when he gets a different outcome than the one he wants.  I'd rather walk him back from being overly hard on himself, than have him be apathetic towards his performance, so I guess it's not the worst thing in the world.  We've been working a lot on him being able to shake off disappointment and move on to the next shot / play / whatever and to make sure we're still having fun.  While I don't want him to have too tough a time of things out on the course, I know he'll run into situations like this one during the season (where he breaks a rule he didn't know about or didn't understand) and I hope it will help him in his development as a player and a person.

#23 OffTheDole

OffTheDole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258568
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

Down here in the Florida, shuttles between holes are almost a necessity due to the length between holes at the golf courses built inside neighborhoods.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "back in my day we used to walk 18 holes uphill both ways in the snow" story, but there was one course I remember from way back in my junior golf days that has a nature preserve between the second and third holes (also eighth and ninth) that measures out to over a quarter of a mile one way. That's an extra half mile walk tacked onto the round that's already made virtually unbearable with the Florida heat and humidity, a bag on the back, and crappy golf shoes with metal spikes.

High tech for us was the Izzo strap that converted our Ping carry bag strap to a backpack-style strap. It's great to see more people out there with push carts. I wish those and the new sneaker style golf shoes were an option back when I played junior golf!

#24 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

View Postnicelife, on 02 May 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

The use of "we" in this interesting. Is this a Sports Dad talk? I called out the we's for review with a few notes.

On the 7th hole my son hit his drive (*note The kid is playing alone here).  He hopped into the cart and we(*note Normal use of we) went to his ball.  All of the sudden I hear another player in our group yelling that my son isn't supposed to be riding in the cart during a hole. Ok, so we (*note Here WE go) proceed to hit our second shot and make par.  We go on to the 8th hole (par5). We only have 78 yards in and proceed to chunk one. Short chip for our 3rd and it just gets worse. We end up making double and the other guy in our group makes eagle. Ouch!!  So now we are tied with the other guy coming into hole 9.  We make par and he makes bogey. We win by 1 right? WRONG!!!

As we approach the scoring table the other player who is also a good friend starts talking about a 2 stroke penalty for riding in the cart and instead of coming in first we are now second.  At this point Both my son and I are pretty livid.  Needless to say the rules state that cart infractions result in a 2 stroke penalty.

I'm really not trying to pile on the dad for supporting his son's activities and interests but the vernacular jumped out at me as well.

#25 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:38 PM

View PostSixcat, on 02 May 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I'm really not trying to pile on the dad for supporting his son's activities and interests but the vernacular jumped out at me as well.

perhaps he meant we as he supporting his son. Yes his son hits the shots but to jump on him like this really not neccsarry. As his caddy the use of we in my opinion is warrnted as he is part of that team.  He was looking for a rules information and was surpirized by it and that result cost his son the win.  Cut the guy some slack.

#26 golfer55082

golfer55082

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433258
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

In the local uskg golf games my son played, before the first hole, the tournament person always states clearly this rule that no riding between tee and hole is allowed.

#27 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostOffTheDole, on 02 May 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Down here in the Florida, shuttles between holes are almost a necessity due to the length between holes at the golf courses built inside neighborhoods.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "back in my day we used to walk 18 holes uphill both ways in the snow" story, but there was one course I remember from way back in my junior golf days that has a nature preserve between the second and third holes (also eighth and ninth) that measures out to over a quarter of a mile one way. That's an extra half mile walk tacked onto the round that's already made virtually unbearable with the Florida heat and humidity, a bag on the back, and crappy golf shoes with metal spikes.

High tech for us was the Izzo strap that converted our Ping carry bag strap to a backpack-style strap. It's great to see more people out there with push carts. I wish those and the new sneaker style golf shoes were an option back when I played junior golf!

I live in Florida and have traveled many of courses on the Junior Golf trail.  I have only seen a couple of course where there is and issue and it is only one or two holes.  On those courses the directors set up volunteers driving carts to transport the kids to the next hole.  The worst I have seen is Los Colinas at Mission Inn.

#28 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

I think these comments are off base.  A caddie and the player is a team.  He is using WE as referring to his team.  A coach does the same thing referring to his players playing on his team.  Nothing wrong with his comments.  You are reaching a bit in my opinion.

#29 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,448 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

View Postdarter79, on 02 May 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostSixcat, on 02 May 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

perhaps he meant we as he supporting his son. Yes his son hits the shots but to jump on him like this really not neccsarry. As his caddy the use of we in my opinion is warrnted as he is part of that team.  He was looking for a rules information and was surpirized by it and that result cost his son the win.  Cut the guy some slack.

LOL.  I learned the whole 'We' thing from Spieth.  :busted_cop:

#30 2bGood

2bGood

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
  • Handicap:3-8
GolfWRX Likes : 2574

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

This didn't bother me at all. Heck when I am watching a pro hockey game including the team I cheer for and some ones asks "what is the score" I would say something like "We are up 3-0". If you can't be on your kids 'team' who's team can you be on.

Edited by 2bGood, 02 May 2017 - 06:03 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors