Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Irons for 9yo

27 replies to this topic

#1 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

I have a 9 yo that is currently using a set of Moxie ping I know he will be out growing them soon and was wanting to know what is a a good set of adult iron heads to us to build a custom set of clubs from.
I am currently building him a custom driver and fairway. He is strong and has a good swing so I don't want to keep buying Jr sets thought I could just reshaft as he grows thanks in advance

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 8602081

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2384
GolfWRX Likes : 428

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

If you don't want to get  junior clubs..  I would think the next step for him would be ladies set or senior set..

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

A 9 year old and adult clubs is not a good idea.  I don't really care how strong he is.  Especially coming off of Ping Moxie Clubs because they are more like toys.  Invest in US Kids or Flynn Clubs.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 21 April 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#4 redraider2k

redraider2k

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48965
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

I agree with heavy_hitter. If you are willing to reshaft them yourself, then just get some heads from Flynn Golf.  He has a set where the club head weight is close to that of a ladies set

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

Best thing you can do is look for light club heads. If you can find mens clubs also sold for ladies then it is a good bet they are light. For instance AP1's are good as well as XR Callaway or even some cobra sets.  

If you ask for specs you can always compare them to US kids specs.

If it seems like too much work or your still worried go out and buy the US kids tour set. You will do just fine with them for a while and they will be cheaper in the end.

Edited by tiger1873, 09 May 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#6 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Looks like we are going with US kids TS irons and wedges for the new set. I am going to get him a m2 12 degree driver to go with his m2 3 wood.
He wants a Scottie Cameron putter but verdict is still out on if he gets that. Thanks for everyone's help

Edited by Tannerbug33, 12 October 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#7 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

If you want to foster his interest in golf, get him bassoon lessons.

#8 killer21

killer21

Killer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31162
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

Since we're talking 9 year olds, my daughter will be 9 in Feb next year.  I found a used set of AP 1's with the Tour AD 65i Senior Shafts...whadaya think? Cut them down?  Might be a winter project. I actually played them today.  She's in US Kids TS51 right now, maybe I'll cut them down to 54 lenght for next set.
She is hitting the 51TS really well right now so good for a bit.  I would say her swing speed is slightly above average based on her last tournament. I jumped the gun on her M2 Driver but she grew into that nicely with a Flynn shaft.
Ping I15 8* Fubuki Tour
X-Hot (2006) Vista Pro 80
X-Hot Pro Hybrids 18, 23
Wilson D100 25* Hybrid
X-Tour S300
Vokey 50, 54, 58

#9 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:37 PM

killer21, on 15 October 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

Since we're talking 9 year olds, my daughter will be 9 in Feb next year.  I found a used set of AP 1's with the Tour AD 65i Senior Shafts...whadaya think? Cut them down?  Might be a winter project. I actually played them today.  She's in US Kids TS51 right now, maybe I'll cut them down to 54 lenght for next set.
She is hitting the 51TS really well right now so good for a bit.  I would say her swing speed is slightly above average based on her last tournament. I jumped the gun on her M2 Driver but she grew into that nicely with a Flynn shaft.

I would wait for a little while for her. Unless she can swing above 80 mph I would not want to put her in senior shafts.  If anything you need to look for ladies shafts in a set. AP1's are pretty good and are great clubs for juniors. I would recommend looking for a Titleist Demo day and have them set up a club for her to try.  If you have a growing junior Demo days are your friend.

The big thing is how fast does she swing? Some US kids used to have junior steel shafts. I think your better off with ladies shafts and OEM then those clubs.  I think they only sell graphite now. I made the mistake of going with junior steel shafts  because she overflexed the junior graphite and it was a big mistake.

At the end of the day it going to depend on how fast she swings and how strong she is. All kids are different on this but if she can hit better clubs they will go father.

Edited by tiger1873, 15 October 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

Would not put a female player into a Titleist iron unless they were fitted for them.  There aren’t a lot of females that swing Titleist and there is a reason for that.  Generally speaking, for Titleist, the irons are much more difficult to get into the air with lower swing speeds than other brands.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 16 October 2017 - 09:55 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

heavy_hitter, on 16 October 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

Would not put a female player into a Titleist iron unless they were fitted for them.  There aren’t a lot of females that swing Titleist and there is a reason for that.  Generally speaking, for Titleist the irons are much more difficult to get into the air with lower swing speeds than other brands.

Nothing wrong with Titleist Irons and a lot good juniors do use them. Ap1's are really good irons for anyone who starting to get better. The heads are pretty light and there are lot good shaft options.  The only issue with these irons is sometimes you get a hot ball off the face. That though is true of any cast iron out there.  

The key here is swing speed. In general I would say 95% of the kids out there should play US Kids or something similar.  If your kid happens to the other 5% though and swings really fast your need fit for that swing. My daughter is 10 and she swings easily  above 90 mph on a driver and that is very fast for a 10 year old.  When she was younger her US kids clubs fell apart after about 2 months of use. It was getting expensive to keep buying the same clubs. The fix was easy but we had to go to OEM clubs.

The demo days around here all use a trackman and can custom fit clubs for you for free. You can also go to a club fitter as well who has one. Avoid using the simulators in retail stores as a gauge because I find a lot them are just way off around here.

Edited by tiger1873, 16 October 2017 - 09:48 AM.

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

tiger1873, on 16 October 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

Would not put a female player into a Titleist iron unless they were fitted for them.  There aren’t a lot of females that swing Titleist and there is a reason for that.  Generally speaking, for Titleist the irons are much more difficult to get into the air with lower swing speeds than other brands.

Nothing wrong with Titleist Irons and a lot good juniors do use them. Ap1's are really good irons for anyone who starting to get better. The heads are pretty light and there are lot good shaft options.  The only issue with these irons is sometimes you get a hot ball off the face. That though is true of any cast iron out there.  

The key here is swing speed. In general I would say 95% of the kids out there should play US Kids or something similar.  If your kid happens to the other 5% though and swings really fast your need fit for that swing. My daughter is 10 and she swings easily  above 90 mph on a driver and that is very fast for a 10 year old.  When she was younger her US kids clubs fell apart after about 2 months of use. It was getting expensive to keep buying the same clubs. The fix was easy but we had to go to OEM clubs.

The demo days around here all use a trackman and can custom fit clubs for you for free. You can also go to a club fitter as well who has one. Avoid using the simulators in retail stores as a gauge because I find a lot them are just way off around here.

You are right, there is nothing wrong with them.  I just said I wouldn't put someone in them, especially a female, unless they were fitted.  They are difficult to get into the air.

Your daughter must pound the ball.  I don't see many high school girls that can drive the ball 230 yards.

#13 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

heavy_hitter, on 16 October 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

You are right, there is nothing wrong with them.  I just said I wouldn't put someone in them, especially a female, unless they were fitted.  They are difficult to get into the air.

Your daughter must pound the ball.  I don't see many high school girls that can drive the ball 230 yards.

My boy was fitted into the AP1's and we went two degrees flat and 2 - 2.5 degrees more loft on each iron to address ball flight and landing angle.

#14 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

heavy_hitter, on 16 October 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

Your right she does pound the ball, It's probably about 80-100 yards longer then most girls her age.  There are a few other girls I have seen that can also hit the ball like her. We have a 12 year old on the local tour who can hit something like 260 plus off the tee so I don't think much of her distance.

#15 hangontight

hangontight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Killler21- was the issue with the M2 driver the driver head(maybe compression?) or was it a shaft issue?  Son Is Moving into 51" and I am  weighing different driver options including M2.

#16 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

For 9 year olds it’s best to go with Flynn of US Kids on the irons. My daughter just turned 10 and she got new Flynn irons a few months back for her birthday. I like Flynn’s irons better than the US kids personally. For girls, you probably don’t want to get OEM irons until they are close to 12. The weighting of the clubs is significantly higher and that can cause issues. No reason to jump the gun. I have a friend whose son is one of the top 10year olds in the country and he got fitted for clubs by professional fitter. He got Titleist woods, Ping I 200irons, and yokey wedges. The woods and irons have graphite shafts and the wedges have steel shafts. He hits them really well but remember that he is one of the top kids in his age group. I was just at the drive chip and putt semi finals at the TPC and the kids were all swinging OEM drivers and many of them were really long. The girls 10year old winner hit her drives about 185 which is very long at 10. I coached high school girls golf for 15 years and the good girls hit it between 185-200 off the tee. The really good ones that were going to play in college hit it 225. Every once in awhile you would get one hitting it 250 and that was ridicoulsy long for high school. I hope that helps.

#17 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

hangontight, on 16 October 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

Killler21- was the issue with the M2 driver the driver head(maybe compression?) or was it a shaft issue?  Son Is Moving into 51" and I am  weighing different driver options including M2.

There is no benefit to an 8/9 year old to move into an adult head unless their swing speed is fast enough to make it work.  You are basically spending a lot of money with no benefit except to say my kid swings an M2 or Epic.  Their swing speed isn't fast enough to make the technology work.

#18 hangontight

hangontight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

heavy_hitter, on 16 October 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

hangontight, on 16 October 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

There is no benefit to an 8/9 year old to move into an adult head unless their swing speed is fast enough to make it work.  You are basically spending a lot of money with no benefit except to say my kid swings an M2 or Epic.  Their swing speed isn't fast enough to make the technology work.

#19 hangontight

hangontight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

I didn't mean to get off topic, sorry folks.  I reposted same question on driver thread.  

HH- do you mean it's more of a compression issue with the OEM clubfaces?

#20 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

hangontight, on 16 October 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

I didn't mean to get off topic, sorry folks.  I reposted same question on driver thread.  

The younger kids seem to do better with the US kids or Flynn drivers because they are specifically made for juniors. OEM drivers aren’t made with juniors in mind although many juniors play them. The weighting is a big issue with the OEM drivers. I bought my son a Cobra F7 driver with a senior shaft and cut it down to fit him. His coach explained that in cutting it down, I had altered the original swing weight. He added some lead tape to the bottom of the club to put some weight back into the head. One driver that you may want to check out is the Cobra F7 junior driver. It is basically the women’s F7 head which is a few grams lighter than the men’s, with a junior shaft in it. Comes is lengths of 39, 41,and 43 inches. The best part about it is that you get a free shaft upgrade. I bought the 39 inch driver for my daughter who is 10. She has already added some distance with it mainly because the shaft is a little longer than her old driver. When she grows out of that length, Cobra will send me a new shaft to put in it. You can’t beat that deal and the driver is nice.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 hangontight

hangontight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

View PostGolfingdawg19, on 16 October 2017 - 07:16 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 16 October 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

The younger kids seem to do better with the US kids or Flynn drivers because they are specifically made for juniors. OEM drivers arenít made with juniors in mind although many juniors play them. The weighting is a big issue with the OEM drivers. I bought my son a Cobra F7 driver with a senior shaft and cut it down to fit him. His coach explained that in cutting it down, I had altered the original swing weight. He added some lead tape to the bottom of the club to put some weight back into the head. One driver that you may want to check out is the Cobra F7 junior driver. It is basically the womenís F7 head which is a few grams lighter than the menís, with a junior shaft in it. Comes is lengths of 39, 41,and 43 inches. The best part about it is that you get a free shaft upgrade. I bought the 39 inch driver for my daughter who is 10. She has already added some distance with it mainly because the shaft is a little longer than her old driver. When she grows out of that length, Cobra will send me a new shaft to put in it. You canít beat that deal and the driver is nice.

#22 hangontight

hangontight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, def looking at the cobra F7 junior.  39" will likely still be too long for my son thiug (he is 51" tall) so will probably need a different shaft.   Its sounds like Flynn may be best bet based on feedback on this site , just trying to get feedback on best head.  It's hard to ignore the claims of kids picking up 15 yards over USKG equipment .   Ultimately will need to pick one and go with it!

#23 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

View Posthangontight, on 16 October 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, def looking at the cobra F7 junior.  39" will likely still be too long for my son thiug (he is 51" tall) so will probably need a different shaft.   Its sounds like Flynn may be best bet based on feedback on this site , just trying to get feedback on best head.  It's hard to ignore the claims of kids picking up 15 yards over USKG equipment .   Ultimately will need to pick one and go with it!

My daughter is 55 inches tall and 10 years old. We went with the 39” and it works great. If your son is 51” then the best thing to do is to get the junior F7 in the 39” and take the shaft out. Get Mike at Flynn to make you a shaft for the length you need now and he can put a Cobra adapter on it before he ships it. Use the Flynn shaft until your son gets taller and put the Cobra junior shaft in it when he is ready. You would still have your shaft upgrade from Cobra as well.

#24 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

Golfingdawg has you on the right track.  Wish he would post more often.  Enjoy his insight.

The swing weight of the club can slow the swing speed down.

9 times out of 10 it is the Indian and not the Arrow when it comes to golf at the younger ages.  We all have been there and we all want our kids to do well.  I was was right where you are several years ago.  You get giddy about getting your kid a new driver, a new ball, a new putter etc.  Don't let the excitement overtake what is best for your kid and his abilities.  A great example is the US Kids Ultra Light Line and TS line.  US Kids states to be in the TS series clubs at 51" they need to have a 54 mph swing speed.  They didn't say 50, they said 54.  I have seen parents buy them the TS series when their swing speed was 50 and they can't use the club.  They either use it and develop bad habits or they sit in the closet until they can use them properly.

This even goes into balls.  Too many kids use balls they have zero business using because their parents don't understand compression rates.  To make the ball go further you have to have the ability to compress the ball.  Too many 7 year olds, per say, are using a Pro V1 and can't compress it.  Compression actually means you are deforming the ball on impact which makes the ball go further.  The higher the compression the more difficult it is to compress the ball.  To compress a ProV1 you need to have a swing speed of at least 100mph + to deform that ball because compression is a 90.  The ProV1X has a compression of 100 and you should have a swing speed of 110+ to compress that ball.  Titleist has done a great job of marketing and selling $48.00 a dozen golf balls.

#25 hangontight

hangontight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 October 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

Golfingdawg has you on the right track.  Wish he would post more often.  Enjoy his insight.

9 times out of 10 it is the Indian and not the Arrow when it comes to golf at the younger ages.  We all have been there and we all want our kids to do well.  I was was right where you are several years ago.  You get giddy about getting your kid a new driver, a new ball, a new putter etc.  Don't let the excitement overtake what is best for your kid and his abilities.  A great example is the US Kids Ultra Light Line and TS line.  US Kids states to be in the TS series clubs at 51" they need to have a 54 mph swing speed.  They didn't say 50, they said 54.  I have seen parents buy them the TS series when their swing speed was 50 and they can't use the club.  They either use it and develop bad habits or they sit in the closet until they can use them properly.

This even goes into balls.  Too many kids use balls they have zero business using because their parents don't understand compression rates.  To make the ball go further you have to have the ability to compress the ball.  Too many 7 year olds, per say, are using a Pro V1 and can't compress it.  Compression actually means you are deforming the ball on impact which makes the ball go further.  The higher the compression the more difficult it is to compress the ball.  To compress a ProV1 you need to have a swing speed of at least 100mph + to deform that ball because compression is a 90.  The ProV1X has a compression of 100 and you should have a swing speed of 110+ to compress that ball.  Titleist has done a great job of marketing and selling $48.00 a dozen golf balls.

Good insight all around.  Glad I found this thread and, although I am a newbie here, appreciate everyones honest feedback.  Thank you.    It makes total sense and I'me in agreement about using what WORKS best, not what LOOKS best.    I have ordered an 8 iron in both 51" TS and Flynn Golf for "demo" purpose...will compare against his current 48" UL's and go with what WORKS best.   My inquires here, specifically on the Drivers and woods are in an effort to gather experience from folks who are willing to share.   I guess its just hard to ignore the possibility that he could pick up ~ 15 yards with an OEM driver over USKG or Flynn.  I know that is surely dependent on each kid, and after all his swing speed very well may still be too low to realize any benefit from an OEM.   My son is certainly NOT a world beater, but Driver swing speed was last measured at 56mph ( in March, so probably a few tic's higher now after a long summer of golf), top 20 6u at Pinehurst, been shooting mid-high 30's from 7 year old distances this fall.....anyway, all of that to say he has a basic skill set to make it worth investigating the potential benefit to be gained from better equipment.    .  Believe me, I would rather spend $150 for a USKids driver than $350 on building a custom OEM with Kids shaft.   No ego here and he could care less what brand club he has.   However, if he can get 15+ yards more and better consistency, its deserves a hard look.  As for balls, he has been using Wilson Staff Duo or Callaway Supersoft, both super low compression, with great success.   Never even considered letting him try a pro-v.  

Thanks again for all of the thoughtful insight.  Once we have some time testing the irons against each other, I will repost feedback for anyone who may be interested.

#26 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

View Posthangontight, on 17 October 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

Good insight all around.  Glad I found this thread and, although I am a newbie here, appreciate everyones honest feedback.  Thank you. It makes total sense and I'me in agreement about using what WORKS best, not what LOOKS best. I have ordered an 8 iron in both 51" TS and Flynn Golf for "demo" purpose...will compare against his current 48" UL's and go with what WORKS best.   My inquires here, specifically on the Drivers and woods are in an effort to gather experience from folks who are willing to share.   I guess its just hard to ignore the possibility that he could pick up ~ 15 yards with an OEM driver over USKG or Flynn.  I know that is surely dependent on each kid, and after all his swing speed very well may still be too low to realize any benefit from an OEM.   My son is certainly NOT a world beater, but Driver swing speed was last measured at 56mph ( in March, so probably a few tic's higher now after a long summer of golf), top 20 6u at Pinehurst, been shooting mid-high 30's from 7 year old distances this fall.....anyway, all of that to say he has a basic skill set to make it worth investigating the potential benefit to be gained from better equipment. .  Believe me, I would rather spend $150 for a USKids driver than $350 on building a custom OEM with Kids shaft.   No ego here and he could care less what brand club he has.   However, if he can get 15+ yards more and better consistency, its deserves a hard look.  As for balls, he has been using Wilson Staff Duo or Callaway Supersoft, both super low compression, with great success.   Never even considered letting him try a pro-v.  

Thanks again for all of the thoughtful insight.  Once we have some time testing the irons against each other, I will repost feedback for anyone who may be interested.

When he hits end of 9-10 years old is when I would begin looking at making the change.  You will know when it is time.

The Wilson Duo is a magnificent ball.  My son is making the change right now to the Wilson FG Tour which is a 70 compression.

#27 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

Good insight all around.  Glad I found this thread and, although I am a newbie here, appreciate everyones honest feedback.  Thank you.    It makes total sense and I'me in agreement about using what WORKS best, not what LOOKS best.    I have ordered an 8 iron in both 51" TS and Flynn Golf for "demo" purpose...will compare against his current 48" UL's and go with what WORKS best.   My inquires here, specifically on the Drivers and woods are in an effort to gather experience from folks who are willing to share.   I guess its just hard to ignore the possibility that he could pick up ~ 15 yards with an OEM driver over USKG or Flynn.  I know that is surely dependent on each kid, and after all his swing speed very well may still be too low to realize any benefit from an OEM.   My son is certainly NOT a world beater, but Driver swing speed was last measured at 56mph ( in March, so probably a few tic's higher now after a long summer of golf), top 20 6u at Pinehurst, been shooting mid-high 30's from 7 year old distances this fall.....anyway, all of that to say he has a basic skill set to make it worth investigating the potential benefit to be gained from better equipment.    .  Believe me, I would rather spend $150 for a USKids driver than $350 on building a custom OEM with Kids shaft.   No ego here and he could care less what brand club he has.   However, if he can get 15+ yards more and better consistency, its deserves a hard look.  As for balls, he has been using Wilson Staff Duo or Callaway Supersoft, both super low compression, with great success.   Never even considered letting him try a pro-v.  

One thing you can always do is to have your son hit another kids driver that has an OEM head. That way you can see what the difference is before investing all the money. Another thing to watch is the loft on the driver. If you will notice, the loft on the US kids driver and the Flynn driver is significantly higher than most OEM heads. You would need to find a OEM driver head that comes in a HL version. So just pay close attention to the loft and weight of the club for your son. I mentioned the Cobra junior driver because of that very reason. Heavy is also dead on about the golf balls. Find a soft golf ball that has a urethan cover. That will help your son compress the ball and get some check around the greens. The Callaway chrome soft, Taylor Made Project A, and Wilson Duo Urethane all fit that description.

#28 hangontight

hangontight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostGolfingdawg19, on 17 October 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

One thing you can always do is to have your son hit another kids driver that has an OEM head. That way you can see what the difference is before investing all the money. Another thing to watch is the loft on the driver. If you will notice, the loft on the US kids driver and the Flynn driver is significantly higher than most OEM heads. You would need to find a OEM driver head that comes in a HL version. So just pay close attention to the loft and weight of the club for your son. I mentioned the Cobra junior driver because of that very reason. Heavy is also dead on about the golf balls. Find a soft golf ball that has a urethan cover. That will help your son compress the ball and get some check around the greens. The Callaway chrome soft, Taylor Made Project A, and Wilson Duo Urethane all fit that description.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors