Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

Balance

72 replies to this topic

#31 RBImGuy

RBImGuy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30615
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

View Postjslane57, on 19 April 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

Balance can not be understated in a golf swing. Or in any sport for that matter. Great balance and great hand eye coordination is often what makes an athlete great. In golf, so many things are impacting and being impacted by balance. If you allow yourself to out of balance at any part of the swing, you're hurting your chances to be consistent in any way, shape, or form.

your 100% wrong.
People who dont understand balance and golf swings will say such,
here is the swede girl sofi flinck winning javelin world championship junior
well she never kept her balance due to throwing far you cant.
Waldron as any other golf trainer are misinformed what balance is and how it works in the golf swing.

win.JPG

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1301

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:56 AM

View PostRBImGuy, on 20 April 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Balance can not be understated in a golf swing. Or in any sport for that matter. Great balance and great hand eye coordination is often what makes an athlete great. In golf, so many things are impacting and being impacted by balance. If you allow yourself to out of balance at any part of the swing, you're hurting your chances to be consistent in any way, shape, or form.

your 100% wrong.
Waldron as any other golf trainer are misinformed what balance is and how it works in the golf swing.

win.JPG

All of your posts are just fluff with no substance.

#33 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1823

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:14 AM

your 100% wrong.

win.JPG
Throwing yourself and losing your balance are two very different things. World class athletes who throw themselves do so under control. As in, on balance. Balance does not mean not moving while standing on a rope, it means being in control of your body. Just because Bubba Watson pushes himself up in the air and swings super hard does not mean he is out of balance, it may be a bit more of a delicate line with Bubba, but that may very well be why he can go from super on, to super off quite quickly...
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

#34 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 2586

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:32 AM

your 100% wrong.

win.JPG

She fell with great balance and poise.

#35 Golfjack

Golfjack

That draw keeps creeping back

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239545
  • Ebay ID:Conft
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

So I guess we should see a swing that you swing so well you walk forward?  

From my experience the more balanced I am at address the better I strike the ball and don't have to compensate in my swing. I was stubborn for a while until I realized my faults haha. Good balance allows you to swing right.

Aeroburner TP 10.5
3W (15) Aeroburner TP
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100
Gauge Design 54, 58 wedges
Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

Alternate set:
Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, Honma HP 1002, Odyssey Arm Lock Putter

#36 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1823

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

View PostGolfjack, on 20 April 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

From my experience the more balanced I am at address the better I strike the ball and don't have to compensate in my swing. I was stubborn for a while until I realized my faults haha. Good balance allows you to swing right.
Gary Player?
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

#37 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 1740

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

your 100% wrong.

Attachment win.JPG

RBImGuy, it would be good if you would articulate some of the things you believe in a direct and positive way rather than only and always stating that those who do publish their points of view are wrong.

We know you believe you know things that are important but at least I have No Idea what this is.

What your posts read like to me are the thinking of a guy who is deeply accustomed to being thought of as strange and who can't get anyone to understand his ideas.
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
HonmaTW717 3,4 Hybrid Vizard
Miura Small Blades, Modus 105S 4-W
Fourteen mt28v3 52,58
Evnroll ER2

#38 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 2586

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

View Postjslane57, on 20 April 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

View PostGolfjack, on 20 April 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

Gary Player?

When I used to play with one club (7i, usually), I'd  take a vicious swipe at it off the tee often ending up in a walk through that would transition into my walk to the ball. One day, with a bunch of groups waiting to tee off behind us, I ended up doing the walk through. Some guy yelled out "go get 'em, Garyyyyyyy!"

#39 North Texas

North Texas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
GolfWRX Likes : 1682

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

RBImGuy,

Do you have any ability whatsoever to make a post that doesn't put someone down or criticize someone or tell someone they don't know what they are talking about?

As wmblake said above, why can't you contribute your ideas in a positive manner? You always tell us how much you know but you never tell us what it is that you know. Give us some real substance.

Edited by North Texas, 20 April 2017 - 01:27 PM.

#40 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1301

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

View Postwmblake2000, on 20 April 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

your 100% wrong.

Attachment win.JPG

RBImGuy, it would be good if you would articulate some of the things you believe in a direct and positive way rather than only and always stating that those who do publish their points of view are wrong.

We know you believe you know things that are important but at least I have No Idea what this is.

What your posts read like to me are the thinking of a guy who is deeply accustomed to being thought of as strange and who can't get anyone to understand his ideas.

http://notnlp.com/?p=7940

Your request will fall on deaf ears.

Edited by Ghost of Snead, 20 April 2017 - 02:05 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122692
GolfWRX Likes : 420

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

your 100% wrong.

win.JPG

I was going to try and engage you with a discussion, but you'll just resort to utter bull, so what's the point?

I've noticed that people who say stuff like 'and that kind of thing', or 'something like that' when trying to explain something (and I don't care that English isn't your first language, but it reinforces my point, that you've gone out of your way to learn that phrase as a way of filling in your bull), are usually just making stuff up on the spot. I think you should find another thread to hijack.

Mods, can you sort this berk out please? He's just trolling everyone, and in every post that he makes - that isn't conducive to a good forum environment. Cheers.

#42 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 2,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1293

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

I was on the range at the Sony Hawaiian Open about twelve years or so ago watching Adam Scott hitting 290 yard carry drivers while standing on a piece of foam, half circle with the flat side on the ground. I asked his caddie what was up and he told me he did that drill a lot as a way of increasing his sense of balance since it is very challenging to just keep your feet on the half circle of foam let alone hitting a golf ball solid.

I immediately went out and bought a few of those foam pieces to use as training aids in our schools.

We also use the round "air discs" and fill them so that there is about a half inch of air in them, great aids for learning good balance.

Spend an hour on the range hitting balls on either of those two aids and then go back to regular Setup and you will feel incredibly grounded in balance by contrast. Makes achieving solid contact so much easier.

#43 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostJim Waldron, on 20 April 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

I was on the range at the Sony Hawaiian Open about twelve years or so ago watching Adam Scott hitting 290 yard carry drivers while standing on a piece of foam, half circle with the flat side on the ground. I asked his caddie what was up and he told me he did that drill a lot as a way of increasing his sense of balance since it is very challenging to just keep your feet on the half circle of foam let alone hitting a golf ball solid.

I immediately went out and bought a few of those foam pieces to use as training aids in our schools.

We also use the round "air discs" and fill them so that there is about a half inch of air in them, great aids for learning good balance.

Spend an hour on the range hitting balls on either of those two aids and then go back to regular Setup and you will feel incredibly grounded in balance by contrast. Makes achieving solid contact so much easier.

Great stuff, Jim!

I expect that if you use those balance aids regularly, then you will develop the muscles which allow you to maintain your balance. Then, when you remove the aids, you will be swinging on an even firmer base than previously? Is there an inner ear training element to this too?

Btw, have you seen the photo of Bryson De Chambeau balancing on that ratchet strap tied around two trees? Looks like he's a believer in developing his balance.

#44 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,696 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostPJ72, on 20 April 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

Great stuff, Jim!

I expect that if you use those balance aids regularly, then you will develop the muscles which allow you to maintain your balance. Then, when you remove the aids, you will be swinging on an even firmer base than previously? Is there an inner ear training element to this too?

Btw, have you seen the photo of Bryson De Chambeau balancing on that ratchet strap tied around two trees? Looks like he's a believer in developing his balance.

Yes, but not so much more strength of the muscles but more the sense of balance specifically. You can easily sense on the foam if you are tipping toward your toes or heels, for example.

There is a kinesthetic based or feel channel for balance, the primary one. And also vestibular (inner ear) and optical balance systems. One reason a steady head helps a bit with balance, and a steady gaze or foveal  focal point with your vision does as well.

Not sure if he does that for pure fun or to help with his game or more likely a bit of both!

I believe that Ben Hogan was a fanatic on Balance, based on stuff several of his fellow tour pros who worked with him have stated: Knudson, who wrote a golf swing book based mainly on the principle of Balance, "The Natural Swing", Kris Tschetter, Gardner Dickinson, Ken Venturi and others. Most here know how he sent his golf shoes off to London to have a bootmaker install a special spike in his golf shoes that helped his balance. He worked for a year on a specific swing change (among others) which was to finish his swing with his left foot flat on the ground.

#45 North Texas

North Texas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
GolfWRX Likes : 1682

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

Just more misinformation on what balance is and how it works in the golf swing.

And just in case no one picks up on it, that was said with a lot of sarcasm :yes:

In all seriousness, thanks Jim for your contributions to this site.

#46 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:45 AM

Bought a pair of those air discs to practice with, hopefully arrive tomorrow.

I've used these before - when i went for a putting lesson a few years ago. It was really difficult, even on a short stroke like a putt.

Would you advise any caution when making full swings? Start off small, then work up to chips/pitches etc?

#47 Switter

Switter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407902
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

There is a rather large discrepancy that exists between balance & dynamic balance. Balance is a term to describe a stationary equalibrium, while dynamic balance describes an equalibrium in a moving object.

The hat rack serves as the harmonic balancer of the moving body. It must per the laws of physics move to retain balance of the overall body movement. It begins its balancing act at the bottom (feet) as they are the longest distance from the the top. For this reason the swing MUST begin with pressure into the ground to create the solis platform which stabilize the body to remain in dynamic balance throughout the swing. By this means the body from the feet up are constantly correcting the balance points ultimately resulting in minor head stabilization movement. Keep your head still is prolly the worst myth & advice in golfland.

If the head is moving out front & out of sequence it is signaling that the swing did not initiate from the ground up. For the head is now trying to compensate & create balance for the disequalibrium that was initiated by interupting the dynamic flow of momentum. Initiating the swing with hip pivots & arm movements is by far the most efficient means of destabilizing the swing sequence that relies upon a smooth balanced momentum & path to return the club face back to square.

There are plenty of drills that purport to teach balance, yet its not stationary balance that needs to be recognized but dynamic balance.

Personally I like to begin using a heavy wedge in my left hand only with my right arm behind my back to hit balls. The club head is taken back between P3 & P4 with the arms completely passive which forces the swing to begin from the ground up & powered completely by the body. I then switch hands. After the wedge I begin over this time using a 7i. If there is any imbalances the ball will fly out in various directions & the head will wobble like a top. For me this drill has been a miracle worker.

Hope is not a solution!

#48 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

View PostGhost of Snead, on 20 April 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

View Postwmblake2000, on 20 April 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

your 100% wrong.

Attachment win.JPG

http://notnlp.com/?p=7940

That's fantastic!

#49 royourboat

royourboat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85293
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Jim can you describe the foam disc AS was practising on? Was it like a Bosu ball/wobble board?
I like to tee the ball up.. using man sized clubs.

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 09 June 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

View Postmothman65, on 09 June 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Is Melbourne getting any closer to happening Momte?

Still need some more, but it's pretty likely I'll come.  Just don't know when yet.

#50 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,696 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

View Postroyourboat, on 21 April 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Jim can you describe the foam disc AS was practising on? Was it like a Bosu ball/wobble board?

If you know what a foam roller is, same thing except cut in half so that there is a flat side. About 3 feet in length.

The air discs are more like a wobble board except you are just hitting off a thin cushion of air in inside the disc - 12" diameter green rubber.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

• Sponsors
  • 2,696 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostPJ72, on 21 April 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

Bought a pair of those air discs to practice with, hopefully arrive tomorrow.

I've used these before - when i went for a putting lesson a few years ago. It was really difficult, even on a short stroke like a putt.

Would you advise any caution when making full swings? Start off small, then work up to chips/pitches etc?

As long as you have just a thin cushion of air in them, it is not too difficult to manage. But expect some bad shots. Which does not matter because whenever you are learning a golf skill, the main thing is the process you are going through, not the shot outcome. Meaning is your mind-brain achieving a new understanding or insight?  Any "righting instinct" that is happening in the background in your swing will manifest in a big way on the discs. You will feel it instantly.

#52 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 1740

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostGhost of Snead, on 20 April 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

I know - I just got fed up with his stuff. But I hadn't seen his site and that was wild, so thx.
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
HonmaTW717 3,4 Hybrid Vizard
Miura Small Blades, Modus 105S 4-W
Fourteen mt28v3 52,58
Evnroll ER2

#53 Switter

Switter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

Jim Waldon Golf Instruction: Head Position & Balance

Hope is not a solution!

#54 alfriday

alfriday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362505
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

I like the feet together drill, the one leg drill and the legs apart perpetual motion drills.

Feet together:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcNiorpoFgE

One leg:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBe7hX-Ccpo

You can even add in a walk to the drills: https://www.youtube....Iq15Ra3X0&t=56s

Here's some old guy doing a similar drill:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmPuzgBXEM

#55 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:00 AM

View Postalfriday, on 21 April 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

I like the feet together drill, the one leg drill and the legs apart perpetual motion drills.

Feet together:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcNiorpoFgE

One leg:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBe7hX-Ccpo

You can even add in a walk to the drills: https://www.youtube....Iq15Ra3X0&t=56s

Here's some old guy doing a similar drill:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AmPuzgBXEM

Thanks for sharing. I like the Shawn Clement perpetual motion drill. I think it shows how the balance needs to work; in that it has to be moving all the way through, except there is a point in the middle, perhaps where both feet are flat on the ground (static balance), where it needs to provide the platform to move into athletic or dynamic balance. Dynamic balance is similar to the javelin thrower - where if you were to 'freeze' the action, she would fall over. Same with the golf swing - you have to oppose the motion of the club to remain in balance - if you were to remove the club or freeze the action, the player would fall over.

#56 Switter

Switter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

Caveat: I'm not a teaching pro, physicist or physical trainer, the presentation below is my understanding of the misnamed so called CONCEPT presented as balance. This is presented for further discussion & learning on the concept. Please feel free to cordially & respectfully point out my errors in the spirit of creating enhanced understanding of the golf swing.

I think calling the motion as "balance", "static balance" or "dynamic balance" is linguistically counterintuitive. It's actually "momentum management" of Newtons 3rd law. Like so many actions in golf the english language is found wanting & incapable in description. The definition of balance defined by physics:

"If two individual forces are of equal magnitude and opposite direction, then the forces are said to be balanced. An object is said to be acted upon by an unbalanced force only when there is an individual force that is not being balanced by a force of equal magnitude and in the opposite direction."

For instance the pendulum of the metronome is in balance as it tic-tocks back & forth while the golf swing is temporarily triangular; "down, out & forward", exerting unbalanced uneven forces. There is no balance static or even dynamic, unless your misreferencing the ability to remain standing upright as some form of balance while the forces of momentum & inertia push against themselves in disequalibrium, but there is one caveat in Physics to create temporary equalibrium in a flexible movement such as the golf swing.

Triangle of Forces

Three forces are in equilibrium if they can be arranged to form a triangle.

http://physics.info/...s/summary.shtml

Ben Hogan's Magical (Triangle) Device

http://www.golfwrx.c...magical-device/

However there are even problems that must be resolved with the physics of the triangle of forces, as the body is not rigid but flexible, hence the forces that power the triangle are not & never will be equal. Secondly the static triangle is interupted & breaks down in various sequences of the swing (rt arm in take away & right arm folding @ P3 to P4). And also the triangle must be recovered from P4 to P5.  

It must be noted that Jim Waldens "Arm Swing Illusion" is absolutely correct as it begins in creating the triangle pushing forces away from the center mass to create it. The right arm must be initiated above the left arm in the quasi triangle to allow for its folding. Thus when initiating the swing sequence it is not mechanically constructed equally in balance per say, as the right arm of the triangle becomes shorter than the left. If the triangle was in balance, the hands would both meet equally with equal pressure & length at the apex of the shaft grip. But the unequal construction of the body & hand placement on the grip prevents the perfect mechanical triangle from forming. Thus from the initiation of the set up the player must begin compensating for the imbalances & disequalibriums of forces that will ultimately result in the imperfect triangle operating out of balance. These compensations in the golf world are erroneously known & called "swing flaws". Some of these compensations are called rythm & tempo, etc., which are induced as a glue to prevent & nominalize the effects of disharmonization that occurs mechanically.  

A complete industry is built upon these disequalibriums & imbalances, which are essentially using natural means of manipulating the body to react to the forces of momentum, disequalibrium & imbalance. Terms such hips forward, weight shifting, hands in front, head behind @ impact etc., etc. etc. are compensatory moves that allow the triangle to exert maximum forces against the ball while remaining on your feet. This does not fit the description in physics as balance, but something altogether different & it does not allow for the entropy that also developes as the triangles chain of events move from position to position.

IMO, based upon the foregoing the word describing the forces acting on the club head & the body are not accurate & therefore cause & create general misunderstandings of the information conveyed to the student or player.

Its nonsense to think that you will remain in balance when the right is employed to throw the club at the ball. In fact its physically impossible. That said the momentum, inertia & unbalancing can however be managed to advantage.

2017-04-22-07-42-40-861482088.jpeg

images-33.jpeg

Edited by Switter, 22 April 2017 - 08:10 AM.

Hope is not a solution!

#57 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

I'm not quite sure what the triangle of the arms has to do with your balance. The information that you have supplied as evidence, if you like, doesn't back up what you have said, in fact it seems completely random to what your words are saying. You're going to have to describe it better than this to educate us on the nuances of balance.

Nice try, it sounded good, overall, but using the hard facts, doesn't really provide any valid information.

Can you provide a more convincing argument? Cheers

#58 Singapore Joe

Singapore Joe

Major? Winner?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176066
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:07 AM

I'm not in the position to argue about golf teaching methodologies but will just add a couple of anecdotes on balance.
1) One day I couldn't find my golf shoes (really!) and ended up playing on regular running shoes which were really slippery on wet grass. After slipping and sliding for about three holes, on the fourth hole I started to find my balance and started hitting really nice shots.

2) I'm 46 years of age and have done sports all my life, including competitively. It took a yoga instructor ten seconds to look at me and tell me exactly what's wrong with the way I stand. Fix that and bingo! Very nice golf shots did result. All in the hips. None of my martial art, gym or golf instructors were able to spot - let alone fix - that.

3) If you are into advanced balance training, look at how the alpine skiers work on it. Sometimes you see downhill skiers ging down for sure and somehow they manage to get back on their feet without falling. Here's some routines by Tina Weirather, one of my favorites. Looks like a lot of fun, actually.
https://www.facebook...thumbnail_video
https://www.instagra...xKMuFzjg/?hl=en
TM R11S 10.5 UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 5F4   
TM R11S 5w Aldila Voodoo SVS7
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95 F3
Callaway Apex Pro 3-9,P Recoil 110 F4
Cleveland 588 54,60
Odyssey White Hot XG1 Fatso 5.0

#59 ChrisNH

ChrisNH

3 putts strictly prohibited...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311909
  • Handicap:5.3
  • Ebay ID:milleroutdoors1
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:01 AM

The golf swing is rotational, and when balance is in question usually the golfer is introducing excessive non-rotational movement.  To some degree you can get away with going up and down a bit, but the kiss of death with balance seems to be excessive side to side and front to back movement of the swing center, or core if you will.

If you learn how to properly set up at address, then learn how to properly use the ground during the swing motion while maintaining your spine angle, there's nothing happening to detract from the good balance that you started with.
  • Callaway X2 Hot 9* Driver
  • Cobra F6 14.5* 3 wood
  • Cobra F6 19* 3/4 Hybrid
  • Cobra King F6 5-PW
  • Cleveland RTX CB 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*, 62*
  • Ping My Day Putter w/ Super Stroke 1.0 Flatso
  • Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

#60 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:45 AM

View PostSingapore Joe, on 23 April 2017 - 02:07 AM, said:

I'm not in the position to argue about golf teaching methodologies but will just add a couple of anecdotes on balance.
1) One day I couldn't find my golf shoes (really!) and ended up playing on regular running shoes which were really slippery on wet grass. After slipping and sliding for about three holes, on the fourth hole I started to find my balance and started hitting really nice shots.

2) I'm 46 years of age and have done sports all my life, including competitively. It took a yoga instructor ten seconds to look at me and tell me exactly what's wrong with the way I stand. Fix that and bingo! Very nice golf shots did result. All in the hips. None of my martial art, gym or golf instructors were able to spot - let alone fix - that.

3) If you are into advanced balance training, look at how the alpine skiers work on it. Sometimes you see downhill skiers ging down for sure and somehow they manage to get back on their feet without falling. Here's some routines by Tina Weirather, one of my favorites. Looks like a lot of fun, actually.
https://www.facebook...thumbnail_video
https://www.instagra...xKMuFzjg/?hl=en
Those routines look brilliant!

Trying to stand up on one of those yoga ball things must take a lot of effort and trial and error. I'm sure i saw a video of dj doingex exactly that except he them was swinging his driver once he was on it!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors