Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Autism and Jr. Golf

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

Probably one of the strangest posts here, huh? I have a son with autism. When he was 4 I had him accompany me to the driving range and he started hitting balls with me. Now, 11, he's about to play Jr. PGA. I am curious if anybody else here has a kid or grand kid in their family with the condition and would like to share thoughts here on this. Long story short...he has taken to the game very well. The kid has a beautiful swing. I only taught him two things: the grip and to have a lag in his swing. Kept it simple...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 balladm

balladm

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159653
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:03 AM

I am starting with my 4 year old now but we will see if he plays...

#3 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

View Postballadm, on 23 April 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

I am starting with my 4 year old now but we will see if he plays...
On the spectrum?

I made sure to talk to mine at 4 as though going to the range was as normal as brushing your teeth - everybody does it.

#4 balladm

balladm

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159653
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:43 PM

Yes, he is high functioning but not too athletic. I'm still trying to get him to hit the ball with the face of the golf club. I've tried left and right handed and he keeps holding the club like an ax.  Then he just gets frustrated if I help so I may give him another year or two.

#5 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:39 PM

That grip is surprisingly normal at that age. I showed my boy the grip but it wasn't until maybe 6 months later until he started using it. I think if the club is a little heavy for the kid the axe grip is the default. Be patient...even "hands off".

Edited by BeerPerHole, 03 May 2017 - 11:40 PM.

#6 WolverineGolfer2016

WolverineGolfer2016

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286104
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

While I don't have experience in having a family member with autism, while in college our team would host an annual event with the Els for Autism foundation and ran a program for young children with autism for the morning and always ran smoothly for us and a great event for all.  I would reach out to their foundation and see if they have one of these events near you in the future, the leader of the program who travels nationally was a varsity golfer at Northwestern and was a joy to work with in coordinating and facilitating these events for our varsity team.
2017 M2 10.5 GD Tour AD-TP 6x
2017 M1 3w GD Tour AD-TP 7x
2017 M1 3h Matrix Black Tie 95x
P-770 KBS C-Taper 130x
TaylorMade 2017 Milled 50-SB, 54-SB, 60-LB KBS C-Taper 130x
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

#7 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 661

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

I have one on the spectrum, aspie. You are in for some hard work brother. He did the same thing as your child did regarding grip. I got him one of those 5 club starter sets and put a training grip on everything but the putter. Helped him a ton. Instant contact. I cannot recommend this enough for beginning juniors, challenged or otherwise. He still sucks at golf mind you, its just not his thing. He did make varsity wrestling and football as a freshman but grades are a struggle as homework can be an issue. I have to alter every few weeks between carrot and stick. Seems to work. God Bless and good luck.
PS. Don't forget to be a husband.
PPS. If you have seen a kid on the spectrum then you have seen ONE kid on the spectrum. No rules, just guidelines. Kinda like the pirate code.
I can Break Rocks
Krank F-5.. UST Tour
Adams Speedline 15* Wasabi stiff
XXIO 5 wood , proprietary shaft
Wilson 2 iron from the 1980s, teaspoon shaft unknown.
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW (48*), DG X100
Mizuno MP R-12 at 54* and 60* DG spinners.
Bettinardi C-01
Costco Signature golf ball.

#8 cz13X4

cz13X4

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79464
GolfWRX Likes : 1022

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

My daughter is on the spectrum. She is 5 and can crank it but doesn't have a ton of interest like my son does. She is tough but smarter than I will ever be. We will see if she picks it up more later.

#9 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

My son is an enigma. Was severely autistic, just about catatonic at about a year old. I work in the health industry and we dove straight into all the research and got really pro-active. His recovery was so exceptional that he was filmed for a documentary at 2.5 years old. He and I were on the screen at Cannes Film Festival. He has ended up very athletic. He's that and wirey...good for golf. He's also very fast - genetics combined with being skin and bone. Still struggles socially. But, has ended up a big-hearted, kind boy. His swing is really nice. So, at this point I feel a responsibility to ease him into the game without over-coaching, being a general pain in his arse. So far, so good. Wasn't the crazy football player we all assumed I'd be raising...Such is life. He and I have some great conversations and, for that, I feel blessed.

#10 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.1
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

Member goobers80 is autistic and a very accomplished player.  She used to post a bunch but hasn't been around too much lately.  Here's her WITB:

http://www.golfwrx.c...ideomarch-2017/

You guys could maybe reach out to her to join the discussion here?

Callaway GBB 9*, Rogue Silver I/O 60 S
Callaway 816 14*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway 816, 18*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Taylormade P-790, 4-AW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Callaway MD3 56* & PM-60* Recoil 110 F4 +1"
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black, 36"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 08 May 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Member goobers80 is autistic and a very accomplished player.  She used to post a bunch but hasn't been around too much lately.  Here's her WITB:

http://www.golfwrx.c...ideomarch-2017/

You guys could maybe reach out to her to join the discussion here?

Thanks. I sent her a PM. Interesting young lady.

#12 Kookaburra1966

Kookaburra1966

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440076
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

My 17yo (will be a senior next school year) is Aspie and loves the game.  Led his JV team this season, despite only joining halfway through as we moved interstate after the start-of-season tryouts.  Even money or better he plays varsity next season but I doubt he'll play college.  He loves the historical side of the game, which shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with the Aspergian habit of deep-diving into one or two favourite areas and being pretty much clueless otherwise.

I've found the game a great way for him to learn the social niceties that kids on the spectrum struggle with - the stuff we NT folks just "know".  I find his biggest struggle on the course isn't the technical stuff, more the emotional and behavioural side, and what better way to learn?  NT people have that emotional shock absorber that folks on the spectrum missed out on, so it goes from sunshine-and-lollipops to lightning-and-thunder pretty quickly.  Stressful situations like tournaments are a meltdown waiting to happen, but when it's just me and him, when the sun's out and the crowds are thin, it's heaven on earth.

I'm trying to get my 12yo (also high-functioning autism) out there, he's joining us on the range now so maybe this summer is the time.  He's more naturally gifted but more volatile - think Tommy Bolt on a really, really bad day.  Maybe it will be just me and him and my eldest can go out on his own.

#13 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

I'm starting to see some other kids on the spectrum at the golf course. Heck, seeing many more showing up at our neighborhood park. The other day at the range with my son a young man set up next to my boy. He appeared to be about 15. He was about 6'2" and skinny as a rail. He was really dressed to the nines in a blue outfit and wearing a Ben Hogan-style hat. He had a full set of new Pings, complete with Ping bag. I just sat and observed. His dad came out and dropped a jumbo bucket of balls at his feet and said, "Your mom and I are going shopping. We'll be back soon." Poor kid really was struggling with his swing. In the interaction with his dad and in talking to him for a few seconds on our way out I got the impression he's probably an Aspie. My heart really went out to the kid and I know the situation. Parents can really struggle to get their kid functional and when this young man took up an interest they dropped a lot of cash getting him set up with gear. Just my assumption, though. My boy's home course has a program for golfers with special needs. I feel a real need to get involved in that...

My son had his first Jr. PGA competition this past Saturday. That was an interesting development in his life. He started out with a couple mishits and expressed that he wanted to quit. I didn't let him, of course. He ended up making some good shots, sinking a couple clutch puts and then his pairing lost on the last hole. While I may be biased, my observation is that he's got the purest swing out there. I could hear the other dads commenting on it. He just lacks the focus. We will see how he grows in this. He did actually get a black belt in karate last year so I know he can focus. His life, so far, has been one continuous challenge. Golf can surely step that up...

#14 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

Here is my son's swing. Enjoy...
https://youtu.be/aKXu_mFfm9A

#15 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 29 June 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

Lefties are awesome.

#16 tbowles411

tbowles411

In Gee Chun

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 5321

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

My son is on the spectrum too (an Aspie).  He's 13 and loves to play.  I'm looking for more and more ways to make the game easier for him.

But he played Jr. League for one year.  He loved the fact that he got a shirt and a number.  I pulled him out of baseball because it wasn't fair to him and the team that I kept calling his name to focus, and frankly, it was too much noise and too many distractions.  I felt terrible because he liked the team aspect, but as the coach, I had to be fair to everyone.  But it was just him and his little partner as they learned to navigate the course.  We nicknamed them "Ham and Eggs."  My boy being the big bruising kid and his partner was 3 years younger and well under 5 feet.  The muni kids against the country club kids.  The first match they played in they were down going into the final hole.  My kid busted a 220 yard drive and greened it, while his partner calmly walked up and sank the 8 footer for eagle to pull off a HALF.  I was one happy dad.  But I've also learned that the instruction needs to be not only simple, but individual.  The Pro needs to focus ONLY on them.  Group lessons made my son go backwards.  It's constant reinforcement and repetition.

Edited by tbowles411, 29 June 2017 - 05:23 PM.

PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Glide 2.0 (54SS, 58WS)
PING Sigma G Piper 3
Ball: Titelist DT Trusoft

#17 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1304

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:32 PM

Nice action there.  Congrats and have him keep it up!!

#18 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

View Posttbowles411, on 29 June 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

My son is on the spectrum too (an Aspie).  He's 13 and loves to play.  I'm looking for more and more ways to make the game easier for him.

But he played Jr. League for one year.  He loved the fact that he got a shirt and a number.  I pulled him out of baseball because it wasn't fair to him and the team that I kept calling his name to focus, and frankly, it was too much noise and too many distractions.  I felt terrible because he liked the team aspect, but as the coach, I had to be fair to everyone.  But it was just him and his little partner as they learned to navigate the course.  We nicknamed them "Ham and Eggs."  My boy being the big bruising kid and his partner was 3 years younger and well under 5 feet.  The muni kids against the country club kids.  The first match they played in they were down going into the final hole.  My kid busted a 220 yard drive and greened it, while his partner calmly walked up and sank the 8 footer for eagle to pull off a HALF.  I was one happy dad.  But I've also learned that the instruction needs to be not only simple, but individual.  The Pro needs to focus ONLY on them.  Group lessons made my son go backwards.  It's constant reinforcement and repetition.
Thanks for sharing. Little victories like that aren't little. They're huge, huh? My son has this habit during the competitions to just waltz up to a 10-footer for birdie or par, spend zero time over the ball, and just roll it in. The dads really get a kick out of it. I just say, "He doesn't know that's supposed to be difficult." It's funny as heck. The other dad's agree with my take. We'd all be shaking over the putt, but the kid just walks up and rolls it. Does it a couple times each tourney.

#19 Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221885
GolfWRX Likes : 2967

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

Love that!
LTD Pro - Chrome+ 6f4
G25 3w - UST Silver 7s
RBZ 19* - UST Silver 7s
Apex CF16 5i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565 6-PW - Project X 5.5
RTX3 CB 50 - Project X 5.5
SM5 54, 58 - Rifle 6.0
SM5 62 - S400
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS

#20 Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221885
GolfWRX Likes : 2967

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

Kudos to all of you.  I work in the field.  To all of you - huge thumbs up!

LTD Pro - Chrome+ 6f4
G25 3w - UST Silver 7s
RBZ 19* - UST Silver 7s
Apex CF16 5i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565 6-PW - Project X 5.5
RTX3 CB 50 - Project X 5.5
SM5 54, 58 - Rifle 6.0
SM5 62 - S400
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 psapitch13

psapitch13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80739
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

"He doesn't know that's supposed to be difficult."

I really like that statement.  Glad to hear these young people have you to look after them, and thanks for sharing the stories.

#22 goobers80

goobers80

gooberSammy - I have Autism

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168463
  • Handicap:+1.7
  • Ebay ID:goobies2007
GolfWRX Likes : 1737

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostKookaburra1966, on 31 May 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

My 17yo (will be a senior next school year) is Aspie and loves the game.  Led his JV team this season, despite only joining halfway through as we moved interstate after the start-of-season tryouts.  Even money or better he plays varsity next season but I doubt he'll play college.  He loves the historical side of the game, which shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with the Aspergian habit of deep-diving into one or two favourite areas and being pretty much clueless otherwise.

I've found the game a great way for him to learn the social niceties that kids on the spectrum struggle with - the stuff we NT folks just "know".  I find his biggest struggle on the course isn't the technical stuff, more the emotional and behavioural side, and what better way to learn?  NT people have that emotional shock absorber that folks on the spectrum missed out on, so it goes from sunshine-and-lollipops to lightning-and-thunder pretty quickly.  Stressful situations like tournaments are a meltdown waiting to happen, but when it's just me and him, when the sun's out and the crowds are thin, it's heaven on earth.

I'm trying to get my 12yo (also high-functioning autism) out there, he's joining us on the range now so maybe this summer is the time.  He's more naturally gifted but more volatile - think Tommy Bolt on a really, really bad day.  Maybe it will be just me and him and my eldest can go out on his own.

Dealing with the people has been the hardest part of golf for me. I get tired of women telling me how i should be ands things. I am mostly open to knowing if i am being way off , but the nitpicking makes me want to claw faces off. I mainly want to play or practice , not socialize. For some reason certain competitors try to make it hard for me or dislike how i am. I used to ignore everybody , but now i try to at least give a thumbs up to acknowledge things. All of that stress ands stress from golf used to equal big meltdowns for me , but i have improved. I still dislike peoples in general because it seems to be too much work.

Be Yourself Always
TaylorMade M2 7.5*

Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Ping G30 Hybrid
TaylorMade TP CB 5-PW
TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF 51* & 58* ATV wedge
SeeMore X4 Nickel
Nike RZN Volt Balls
WITB Link

#23 KYMAR

KYMAR

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 13509

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

I do not have Autism but, like Sam, I also pretty much dislike people in general.

Kudos to all of you parents for supporting and encouraging your kids in a game that requires next level patience to begin with.
Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided   
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0   
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60   
White Hot 6 Long Neck

#24 tbowles411

tbowles411

In Gee Chun

• 23,325 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:29 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 30 June 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

View Posttbowles411, on 29 June 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Thanks for sharing. Little victories like that aren't little. They're huge, huh? My son has this habit during the competitions to just waltz up to a 10-footer for birdie or par, spend zero time over the ball, and just roll it in. The dads really get a kick out of it. I just say, "He doesn't know that's supposed to be difficult." It's funny as heck. The other dad's agree with my take. We'd all be shaking over the putt, but the kid just walks up and rolls it. Does it a couple times each tourney.
It was huge for him.  It was the knowledge he could do something hard and be successful at it.  In fact, for his birthday a few weeks ago, we went to Top Golf with his best buds.  They're good at other sports that my kid doesn't play well.  They took hacks with the clubs and hit the ball how you'd expect.  When it was his turn, he grabbed a 7-iron and started pumping 160 yard moonshots, much to the dismay of his buddies.  These kids need something to call their own.  I tell him, "It's all you.  I can read the putt or line you up, but you have to hit it."  And yes, I've jacked more 10, 5 and 2 footers than I care to remember!

View PostKYMAR, on 30 June 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

I do not have Autism but, like Sam, I also pretty much dislike people in general.

Kudos to all of you parents for supporting and encouraging your kids in a game that requires next level patience to begin with.
Trust me friend, it's not easy.  The "Dad" in me wants to jump in and help.  I have to literally put my hands in my pocket and turn away!   And people aren't all bad!  ;)

Edited by tbowles411, 30 June 2017 - 09:30 PM.

PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Sigma G Piper 3

#25 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442640
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:25 PM

The ELS center does a lot of great work

http://www.elsforautism.org

#26 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

View Postgoobers80, on 30 June 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Dealing with the people has been the hardest part of golf for me. I get tired of women telling me how i should be ands things. I am mostly open to knowing if i am being way off , but the nitpicking makes me want to claw faces off. I mainly want to play or practice , not socialize. For some reason certain competitors try to make it hard for me or dislike how i am. I used to ignore everybody , but now i try to at least give a thumbs up to acknowledge things. All of that stress ands stress from golf used to equal big meltdowns for me , but i have improved. I still dislike peoples in general because it seems to be too much work.

Nice to hear from your Goobers. I want to "claw faces off" sometimes, too. Not too often on the golf course, though. Luckily.

#27 tbowles411

tbowles411

In Gee Chun

• 23,325 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

View Postgoobers80, on 30 June 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Hello young lady!  :)
PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Sigma G Piper 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors