Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

30A Golf Camp Creek

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 short game

short game

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428010
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

Just got back from our spring break in florida. we head down to 30 A area and stay in Watercolor. We rent from St Joe Club so we get access to their private courses Camp Creek and Shark's Tooth.

I had played Camp Creek before but this is really a strong layout in my opinion. First of all, there are no houses and its built on a great coastal area - but it is not ocean side. It can play over 7000 from the tips, the blues are about 6700 and the white is 6300. There is a lot of water (mostly it seems on the left) and a real interesting collection of holes that tests a lot of different aspects of your game.

If any of you get an opportunity to vacation in this area - i highly recommend playing it - at least twice. I think it is one of Fazio's strongest layouts.

And it has a great practice area as well.

Ping G30 Driver
Ping G 5 wood, G 7 wood
Titleist 915 21 degree hybrid and Ping G 30 5 hybrid
Ping i200 6 - UW
Vokey SM6 60 (K-grind), 55 (S-grind)
Ping Sigma G  Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 CLPotter

CLPotter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453750
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

You're right. It is a strong track. I played it before St. Joe's took it "private." Did you get to play Shark's Tooth?

#3 short game

short game

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

i have played Shark's Tooth before - but not this time around. I find it to be very enjoyable layout - a little easier than Camp Creek. Especially off the tee.

But you here a lot of golf courses that are hyped up by golf digest and golf channel. the Camp Creek layout is a real tough but fair challenge of golfing skills.

For anyone heading to the Florida panhandle - stay at the watercolor resort, the Pearl in Rosemary or rent from St Joe club and you can play both Camp Creek and Sharks Tooth.
Ping G30 Driver
Ping G 5 wood, G 7 wood
Ping i200 6 - UW
Ping Sigma G  Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

#4 OK_Golf

OK_Golf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59380
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Looking at booking at week at WaterSound, through St. Joe, near Camp Creek and had a few questions from the GolfWRX cognoscenti.

Was wondering if anyone had luck with any sort of discount at Camp Creek?  I've been quoted $150 per round (any time of day); I'm fine paying that for one quality round, but not sure I want to drop $300 on two rounds of golf.  Anyone had any luck with multiple round discounts or twilight discounts here?

With Camp Creek and Shark's Tooth what are folks preference between the two and is it best to play the same one twice (get the lay of land) or do folks suggest playing both?

Does it really take a half hour to get to Windswept Dunes from the WaterSound development?  Looks like Hombre is a similar distance and I've heard good things in the past for that location, so any suggestions of which is the better of those two would be appreciate.

Thanks all!
WITB
Driver: Ping G20, 8.5*, stock tour Stiff
3 wood: TaylorMade SLDR TP, stock TP stiff, 15*,
Hybrids: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18* & 23*
Irons: Callaway X hot pro 5 iron; Callaway X forged (2013) 6-PW
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 51* and 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Nike Unitized Techno

#5 Bubb

Bubb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5072
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Shark's Tooth is nice, but Camp Creek is clearly better, in my opinion. Windswept dunes takes 30-40 minutes from Watersound, but it's the only course I play anymore and I've played a lot of them down there. The conditioning, design, and value of Windswept Dunes can not be touched by anything else in the area. Camp Creek is only slightly better but MUCH more expensive. Well worth the drive.

I'm playing Windswept Dunes three times next week, in fact. Red Bar for lunch afterwards is always something to look forward to as well. Been going to 30A for 10 years and it's our favorite vacation spot anywhere. We wish we had moved there before the kids started school. Too late now until they graduate.

#6 OK_Golf

OK_Golf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the advice, Bubb (that was kind of fun to say).

I'm wrestling with the time (and marriage political capital) cost of an extra hour in the car (google maps is telling me that Camp Creek is 8 minutes from where I think we are staying) for ~$75 savings.

Thanks for all the good advice so far.  I think either way it sounds like I have some good golf available.
WITB

#7 GTgolf

GTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

I always play camp creek and sharks tooth every year on vacation.  Love them both. Great courses.

#8 Bubb

Bubb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostOK_Golf, on 20 June 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice, Bubb (that was kind of fun to say).

I'm wrestling with the time (and marriage political capital) cost of an extra hour in the car (google maps is telling me that Camp Creek is 8 minutes from where I think we are staying) for ~$75 savings.

Thanks for all the good advice so far.  I think either way it sounds like I have some good golf available.
Take her to the rooftop at 723 Whiskey Bravo for dinner and that will earn you some brownie points.

#9 cardoustie

cardoustie

Canada Cup 1973

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4477

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

Love the area and all 3 tracks mentioned
TaylorMade M2 10.5* GD AD DI 6x (black)
Callaway X2 Hot 5 deep 18.5* GD AD MT6
Ping G25 7w 20* GD AD BB6
Ping G25 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80
Cally Apex 5h 25* Kuro Kage 80
PIng s55 6-PW Nippon 1150x ss 1x
Vokey sm2 50* & TVD M grinds 54* & 60* DGs400 Onyx
Scotty Cameron X7M

#10 crazy8golfer

crazy8golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208081
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:slk320-pmi
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

Camp Creek is a very nice golf course, but paying to at a St.Joe property will be very costly. Never played Sharks Tooth, but have heard good things about the course. I will stay in my cottage and play the local courses, Holiday, Windsweot Dunes and the Nicklaus coursed at Bat Point. Not quite the quality golf, but I save enough money for all the food and drinks for the week..

TaylorMade M1 Driver 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade R15 TP Driver 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 63 Stiff
Titleist 913F-d 3 Wood 13*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ-5S
TaylorMade SLDR 4H 21*, Fujikura Speeder 82H Stiff
TaylorMade M2 Irons, 3 - PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 90 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM5 Raw Black Wedge, 50.08* F Grind KBS Stiff
Titliest Vokey SM5 Wedge, 56.10* M Grind True Temper Stiff
Titliest Vokey SM5 Wedge, 60.04* L Grind True Temper Stiff
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5, 34"
Scotty Cameron Classic Newport 2.5, 34" w/ Te I3 Stamp. Limited Edition

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 OK_Golf

OK_Golf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

So to bring the debate full circle ... we are trying to decide between one of the beach front condo's in Sandestin (Westwinds or Beachside) through VRBO or WaterSound through St. Joe ... the St. Joe prices are high, but they are running a special right now that cuts the premium down a bit.  We think we like the idea of smaller crowds and lower density development that WaterSound seems to offer.  If anyone has reviews of staying in this development (particularly in one of the low-rise condos rather than the houses) I'm all ears.

I like the price and variety of golf that is nearby at Sandestin (I played Raven about ~4 years ago and enjoyed it), I like how close we'd be to the beach in those high rise condos ... but again, not sure we like the crowds.  With WaterSound their "beach club" pool looks like something the wife and kids will like; I'm not sure how easy the beach access is (it looks close, but always hard to tell) and I'm not sure if we will be too far from things like a night out in Seaside or going shopping one day (or even just heading to a grocery store or renting a wave runner for an hour).  I've seen a few condos in Seagrove.  Is it a middle ground: less crowds, but also less amenities (like the WaterSound pools)?

Everyone's local knowledge is great and appreciated.
WITB

#12 short game

short game

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

we stay at water sound every year and really enjoy it. your stay with st joe gives you immediate access to their beach club that has a great quiet pool and then access to one of the best beaches. they are in the process of making a huge beach club expansion so there is construction by the water sound site near the beach club - but the beach is fantastic. last time we were there we stayed at the water sound gate house. the rooms were great and we drove over to the pool at the beach club and just hung there all day.

i think camp creek is a really high quality track. the practice area is superb, so if you pay your greens fees, get there early or stay late after your round and hit a ton of range balls. its way better than the raven or the hombre (rumor was its closing).

check and see if they have any golf specials - you may want to call the pro shop directly.
Ping G30 Driver
Ping G 5 wood, G 7 wood
Ping i200 6 - UW
Ping Sigma G  Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

#13 Bubb

Bubb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostOK_Golf, on 21 June 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

So to bring the debate full circle ... we are trying to decide between one of the beach front condo's in Sandestin (Westwinds or Beachside) through VRBO or WaterSound through St. Joe ... the St. Joe prices are high, but they are running a special right now that cuts the premium down a bit.  We think we like the idea of smaller crowds and lower density development that WaterSound seems to offer.  If anyone has reviews of staying in this development (particularly in one of the low-rise condos rather than the houses) I'm all ears.

I like the price and variety of golf that is nearby at Sandestin (I played Raven about ~4 years ago and enjoyed it), I like how close we'd be to the beach in those high rise condos ... but again, not sure we like the crowds.  With WaterSound their "beach club" pool looks like something the wife and kids will like; I'm not sure how easy the beach access is (it looks close, but always hard to tell) and I'm not sure if we will be too far from things like a night out in Seaside or going shopping one day (or even just heading to a grocery store or renting a wave runner for an hour).  I've seen a few condos in Seagrove.  Is it a middle ground: less crowds, but also less amenities (like the WaterSound pools)?

Everyone's local knowledge is great and appreciated.
Beachside II is a great place since the units are larger and the location is great. I'm a big fan of Sandestin, but it isn't quite as nice as 30A in my opinion. 30A limits the height of their buildings to four stories and the restaurants are all local, no chains. The bike path is a big plus as well. Once people "graduate" from Destin to 30A, they generally don't look back. I don't mean to sound elitist, it's just nicer.

There are thousands of options on 30A on VRBO. I'm staying at Watersound this year, but I didn't book through St. Joe. I don't have access to Camp Creek this year, but having played it several time already in years passed, I would play Windswept Dunes instead anyway. They are very close in quality and the cost difference is huge. WD is everything golf should be, WIDE fairways, great conditioning, well-designed, and a great value. If the location were better, the prices would be higher, no doubt.

In any case, I think you'll save money by dealing directly with the owner and not going through a management company.

#14 atxgolfer1985

atxgolfer1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412986
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

I'm sitting at a house in Watercolor right now and have been here since last Saturday and leave tomorrow.  I'm sad to leave.

It was my wife, me and 2 other couples.  We are young couples so we had a 1 year old(mine), twin 2.5 year old boys, and a 4 year old girl.  I used my best negotiating skills with my wife and the other wives and got us guys 2 rounds this week.  Unfortunately it rained for 2 days so one got canceled and we only got to play Camp Creek.

I'm a legitimate 1 handicap who has played a lot of golf courses.  Camp Creek was awesome in my opinion and really difficult but fair.  Big fairways but lost ball on either side of them, large greens that you can hit in the wind, and excellent condition.  It rained all day Tuesday and Wednesday and it wasn't carts on path when we played Thursday.  It is expensive but due to the cost there was no one out there.  We saw one other group and that's it.  I can only think of 2 or 3 holes where you can see another hole.  It was awesome.  Worth the price tag.

Also this is my first time to this area - I'm 31 - and I enjoyed it as much as any trip I've ever been on.  We rented a 6 person golf cart that goes 25 MPH and had a blast driving it around and to dinner all week.  Had a babysitter 3 of the nights and had a great time going out in the area.  Highly recommend this trip and area.

#15 short game

short game

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

man you got hosed on the weather. almost never a tropical system this early. but glad you enjoyed the trip.

one thing we did when our kids were a little older. on a rain day we drove over to the naval museum at Pensacola. Well worth the trip.

Edited by short game, 24 June 2017 - 06:42 PM.

Ping G30 Driver
Ping G 5 wood, G 7 wood
Ping i200 6 - UW
Ping Sigma G  Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

#16 OK_Golf

OK_Golf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

All great feedback.  Thanks for the info.  Some of you have me a bit scared on the challenge at Camp Creek.  I'm ~10 HC, with enough length to feel pretty comfortable up to ~6,800; will Camp Creek be too much for me?
WITB

#17 bcflyguy1

bcflyguy1

Enjoying my coffee...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120229
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 772

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostOK_Golf, on 26 June 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

All great feedback.  Thanks for the info.  Some of you have me a bit scared on the challenge at Camp Creek.  I'm ~10 HC, with enough length to feel pretty comfortable up to ~6,800; will Camp Creek be too much for me?

No need to have reservations about playing there at all, but understand that depending on how the course is set up, wind conditions, and how fast the greens are running it can be a real beast.  Played it once for local US Open qualifying when the greens were like glass, and it still makes my palms sweat thinking about it.
Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right.
WITB Link

#18 bzeigler

bzeigler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36968
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

View Postcrazy8golfer, on 20 June 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

Camp Creek is a very nice golf course, but paying to at a St.Joe property will be very costly. Never played Sharks Tooth, but have heard good things about the course. I will stay in my cottage and play the local courses, Holiday, Windsweot Dunes and the Nicklaus coursed at Bat Point. Not quite the quality golf, but I save enough money for all the food and drinks for the week..
Been going down to the 30A area now for about 20 years.  Tough to go anywhere else in the southeast in my opinion.  Started out on the western-most side around Gulf Place/Blue Mountain but now we've been renting house in the Seacrest neighborhood right next to Rosemary for a few years.  I've been played Camp Creek but hear amazing things.  But for the money, I will say that Santa Rosa Golf & Beach Club is a great little course.  Very affordable, lots of fun, and right off 30A.

#19 crazy8golfer

crazy8golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208081
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:slk320-pmi
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

View Postbzeigler, on 27 June 2017 - 01:26 PM, said:

View Postcrazy8golfer, on 20 June 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

Been going down to the 30A area now for about 20 years.  Tough to go anywhere else in the southeast in my opinion.  Started out on the western-most side around Gulf Place/Blue Mountain but now we've been renting house in the Seacrest neighborhood right next to Rosemary for a few years.  I've been played Camp Creek but hear amazing things.  But for the money, I will say that Santa Rosa Golf & Beach Club is a great little course.  Very affordable, lots of fun, and right off 30A.
I have played Santa Rosa Golf & Beach Club several times. It's a very nice course, but tight. You need to hit the ball straight!
TaylorMade M1 Driver 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade R15 TP Driver 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 63 Stiff
Titleist 913F-d 3 Wood 13*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ-5S
TaylorMade SLDR 4H 21*, Fujikura Speeder 82H Stiff
TaylorMade M2 Irons, 3 - PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 90 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM5 Raw Black Wedge, 50.08* F Grind KBS Stiff
Titliest Vokey SM5 Wedge, 56.10* M Grind True Temper Stiff
Titliest Vokey SM5 Wedge, 60.04* L Grind True Temper Stiff
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5, 34"
Scotty Cameron Classic Newport 2.5, 34" w/ Te I3 Stamp. Limited Edition

#20 GTgolf

GTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted Yesterday, 07:18 AM

View PostOK_Golf, on 26 June 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Camp creek isn't hard.

The hardest part is holding on to your club because of the summer heat!!

Don't go looking for your ball in the brush. Lots of posienous snakes.

I'm a 2hcp and the course is good for all players. Just play the correct tees.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors