Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Center Shafted Putters....

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 HMArndtGolf

HMArndtGolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50358
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

I've been playing golf off and on for about 27 years now and never gave center shafted putters a chance until 3 years ago when someone (for $7) sent me a Hireko Center shafted mallet putter and I started putting lights out with it.  

I've tried (actually mostly bought) probably 9 putters since then and nothing has been able to knock it out of the bag permanently.  I always seem to come back to it about 3 weeks into golf season because I'm not putting well.  The only other putter that has been in my bag an extended length during that time is a Taylor Made Mezza Monza center shafted putter.

Just curious as to who else here uses a center shafted putter and which model you use?

Thanks.

HMArndtGolf

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 herd8497

herd8497

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41490
  • Ebay ID:herd8497
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

I began using a center shaft putter last spring.  I bought a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 CS prototype from a guy over on TCC.  I couldn't believe how much better I putted with it. I felt it was too light though and switched to a Red X2 (@340g).

Late in the fall of '07 I switched to a couple of different plumber's neck putters (mainly because I bought them, which can directly be attributed to a problem :) )

I currently have three center shaft putters (a TP Mills Tradition, a Byron OO7x, and a George Palombi custom)  The Byron & Palombi are actually still on order.  I prefer all of my putters to be "anser" style heads rather than a mallet, and I like them all to be 350 grams or heavier.  At least that is what I feel works best for my stroke.

Don't overlook confidence in your successful run of putting either.  

Great Topic!!!!!!!!

Jay

#3 bgolfing

bgolfing

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13080

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

I have used them off and on and like them. Used a Odyssey belly that I cut down as I like heavy heads and the other was a Wishon Smooth 6 center shaft (one of the best mallets out there btw). Seem to be better for a more squarish stroke. I also think they hel,p if your miss tends to be right as it is harder to leave them open

#4 mjc694

mjc694

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31139
  • Ebay ID:mjc6942003

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

I have tried dozens of them.  I used to putt with a SC catalina from the late 90's.  I sent it to titleist to be refinished, and the pro at my club lost it.  He gave me my pick of clubs to replace it, and i took a scotty cameron studio stainless 1.5, but non offset.  couldnt putt with it to save my life.  figured the reason was the toe hang which doesnt work with my stroke.  

So i started experimenting with mallet style CS putters.  Since i was no longer emotionally invested in my putter it was easy to flit.  I tried.....

The NC voodoo cs.  A great stick.  I loved this putter, and putted very well with it, but didnt like the looks very much.  so i moved to....

Scotty cameron red x cs.   Liked the feel and look of this putter, but just couldnt get comfortable with it for some reason.  

Nike black oz.  I loved this putter, and made great putts with it.  The best putter of all the cs putters i ever owned.  I got jonesing to go back to a blade tho.....so......

I bought an odyssey white hot #2 (not 100% sure of the number it was a while back, but the blade style cs putter from odyssey white hot), and hated it!  lasted in my bag for about 1 day.  Didnt like the feel, didnt like the style, didnt like anything about that putter.  

Found a bettinardi c-06, and put it in the bag.  LOVED IT.   its not cs, but it is face balanced. Best feel of any putter i have owned.  I putt better with it (isnt this the real test?).  So much so i bought a grip i like from bettinardi, and a new head cover from them, and i even plan to get it customized, and the paint fill changed (i would love to do this myself).  

love teh bettinardi, and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it, or the nike to anyone interested in face balanced putters.

#5 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14457
  • Ebay ID:choeppner99
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

I love a good centershaft. I've got a SBST stroke so I need something face balanced so it limits the options that I can use.  I've gone thru alot of them, but the ones I have in the stable right now are these, and I am working with Steve right now on a CS Byron, and if all goes right in the next month or so i'll have a CS Bettinardi.

1) Machine Weld Neck CS Prototype
2) Cameron Newport Weld Neck Centershaft ( by George Palombi GEOGOLF )
3) Gauge GAA8 ( Refinish done by LaMont )
4) Kirk Currie #2 Center Shaft
5) Kirk Currie #3 Center Shaft

Here's the pics of all but the Currie's.  

-CHRIS-

Machine_CS.jpg
Newport_back.jpg
Gauge_CS.jpg

Posted Image

Please feel free to contact me at:
Choeppner@Doglegright.com

#6 Bomb and Gouge

Bomb and Gouge

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24572
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

I have a few center-shafted putters:

-Cameron Red X2
-Bettinardi BHB-8 C
-Cameron Phantom  Mallet 2
-Heavy A-1 Long
-Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball

#7 LionLinks16

LionLinks16

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50122

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

yep same here. i also use a scotty cameron red x2. i got it as a present for christmas this past year and started to putt A LOT better with it. still not putting as well as i would like to, but for me its, a huge improvement. wont give any numbers but its pretty embarrasing. i had a scotty cameron newport 2 before that and putted decently, but the red x2 has definetly helped.
cheers
p.s. when is it gonna get warm enough in the northeast to start playing?!? im dying to get back  out there...

#8 golftitleist

golftitleist

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35598

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

Really looking at getting a CS putter. Awesome pics Chris, I love looking at pictures of them, if anyone else could post up pictures of theirs thatd be awesome.

#9 cjblake09

cjblake09

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15860
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

I really like the look of a CS putter but i could never find one that was heavy enough for my liking.  Now that i know what people like Bryon offer them i am definalty going to think about buying another one.

#10 title

title

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10215
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

tm rossa lambeau 7. very good center shafted putter.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 vsproto

vsproto

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4982
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

hoganardi is the bomb.

#12 thenewbie

thenewbie

Chimpanzee that monkey news!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26703
  • Ebay ID:skapoppunkcore
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

$30 wilson center-shafted. . .although I might change, because my tendency is a more rotary stroke.  but I like it alot, its very different from heal shafted.

#13 herd8497

herd8497

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41490
  • Ebay ID:herd8497

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

View Postcjblake09, on Mar 3 2008, 07:11 PM, said:

I really like the look of a CS putter but i could never find one that was heavy enough for my liking.  Now that i know what people like Bryon offer them i am definalty going to think about buying another one.

My Stainless Mills Tradition CS weighs in at 360 grams.  How heavy a head are you looking for?  You may be able to commission a custom with tungsten weights in the sole.  My Palombi will be like that.

Jay

#14 cjblake09

cjblake09

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15860
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

I like my putter in the 350-360 range and no OEM companies offer that.  That is why i am thinking about going with a Byron CS.

#15 HMArndtGolf

HMArndtGolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50358

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

View Postcjblake09, on Mar 3 2008, 07:11 PM, said:

I really like the look of a CS putter but i could never find one that was heavy enough for my liking. Now that i know what people like Bryon offer them i am definalty going to think about buying another one.

I've got a Taylor Made Mezza Monza center shafted putter that I added weight to by putting strips of lead tape (mine was to be used for tennis racquets) on the bottom. I played around with it until I found the weight that seemed perfect....one long strip about a ball widths apart from one another.

HMArndtGolf

Edited by HMArndtGolf, 04 March 2008 - 08:14 AM.

#16 MOJO14

MOJO14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14632

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

I have used a CS putter in some form or another for three seasons now.  The following is a list (the ones I can remember) of the CS putters I have had in the bag over the years.  I am currently gaming a Wilson Kirk Currie #2 CS with the heaviest sole plate and no counter balancing.

Odyssey White Hot #5
Never Compromise Z/I Sigma
Ben Hogan Bettinardi BHB8-C
Bettinardi BB-23
Scotty Cameron Red X2

#17 divot46

divot46

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 552

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

I've got a Never Comp Z/I Sigma I just put in the rotation to keep my Ansers company. I like the non-insert putters and this one feels very nice, much better than by Sub 30 S2.

#18 ricar1610

ricar1610

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46467
  • Handicap:1.4
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

Odyssey #2 CS - I have never putted better - I always feel on line - I putt straight back and straight through so CS is great for me.
913D3 9.5* Kai'li 65R
913F 17* Kai'li 75R
913H 21* KBS Tour R
Titleist 690.CB 4-PW  KBS Tour R
Vokey SM4 53*/58* KBS R
Studio Select Newport 2

#19 SHERO

SHERO

SHERO

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22527

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

Seemore L.R.T

#20 frozen_rope

frozen_rope

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3211
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

Brass bullseye is the prettiest center shaft putter

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 willfred08

willfred08

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17035

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

I have a Red X2. I like the CS b/c my putting thought is to hit the ball with the end of the shaft. This way, I almost always make contact on the center of the face so my putts are more consistent. Not sure if this makes sense to you guys but it seems to work for me.   :)

#22 doveiu

doveiu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50759

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

I have used a 2-ball CS as well as my current gamer, a Scotty NPII Beached CS.  I love the beached head of the NPII.

#23 art_vandaley

art_vandaley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30597

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:34 AM

I'm thinking about picking up a Seemore. What's the consensus on those ?

#24 putterfan

putterfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51059

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

First of all..............FANTASTIC USER NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seinfeld rules.

Here are a few pics of the CS putters i mentioned in my earlier post.  I don't know if they could get better looking than the Byron OO7 X (it came with sky blue paintfill).  It has a matching orange Iomic grip.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2042.JPG
  • IMG_2049.JPG
  • IMG_2043.JPG

Attached Images

• csmills_ss.JPG
  • new_004.JPG

#25 yankees06

yankees06

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6679

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

I still have all but a couple of these center shafted putters.

Cameron Prototype Newport 2 Beach
Cameron prototype Newport 2 4 mini Circle T's 350 gram
Cameron Newport 2 Tour center shaft
Cameron Red X2
Cameron Phantom 2
Cameron Center Shafted Tour Futura
Hogan Bettinardi Center Shafted Blade, don't know the model number
Taylor Made lambeau
T.P. Mills custom centershafted Tradition

#26 choeppner

choeppner

MACHINE Putters

• Sponsors
  • 9,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14457
  • Ebay ID:choeppner99
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:17 PM

View Postputterfan, on Mar 10 2008, 09:49 AM, said:

First of all..............FANTASTIC USER NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Seinfeld rules.

Here are a few pics of the CS putters i mentioned in my earlier post.  I don't know if they could get better looking than the Byron OO7 X (it came with sky blue paintfill).  It has a matching orange Iomic grip.

That Byron is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

Please feel free to contact me at:
Choeppner@Doglegright.com

#27 cloudlx

cloudlx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21849
  • Ebay ID:okiebullitt
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

My next putter will be a TP Mills stainless center-shafted tradition.

#28 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

Rife 2 bar mallet.  Weight adjustable.  I also have the Barbados CS, but it is a bit light (will soon be in BST).
Big Bertha 9* Fubuki Z regular
Jetspeed 3 wood & XHot 4 wood
Jetspeed Rescues 19* and 25*
Cobra Amp Cell 6-LW Kuro Kage Reg
Bridgestone E6 or Titleist Velocity
Odyssey White Hot

#29 hifish

hifish

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15760
  • Ebay ID:russl(uk)

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

I have been using a SeeMore m5, which is a centre shafted putter, for 4 months now. This putter has always performed for me and since it became my gamer I haven't had a bad putting round.

#30 Canuck

Canuck

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23984

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

Ping Ug-Le ;)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors