Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Vice Pro Soft Review

ProV vs Vice

70 replies to this topic

#1 CaptWillis

CaptWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440824
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

Ok so this is one of those, first time caller, long time listener things.  I have been, just like many of you I am sure, looking for a better ball that suits my game better.  (Thanks Rory for making me look like a pompous ....)  Anyways, please see below and I do hope that it helps some of you.

About me:  I am a 32 year old male with a driver swing speed of about 104-108 depending on the amount of IPAs in the bar before I start.  I am a US Marine Officer so I stay in pretty good shape, and thus far, I think my game is well ahead of where it should be (Thanks Norther Virginia winter).  I would consider my self a total feel player, when it comes to my equipment and how I play.  Strengths are short irons/wedges and weakness is long irons/tee game.  I have a tendency to spin the ball.... a lot and I have played the Callaway Chrome Soft so and went back to the ProV1 so I was a bit anxious about ordering and gaming this one so here we go.  I play at a solid 6, but it is very likely to find a few birdies on my card, as well as an 8.

Course: Course in NoVa, a PB Dye design so there is a premium on accuracy and iron control to many tiered greens.   It was about 86 degrees, and not a cloud in the sky.  The greens were running about 9-ish and the fairways have come in really well so, clean passes were rewarded.  

Balls: I tested the ProV1, Bridgestone B330-S, and the Vice Pro Soft Neon Red

Driver: I moved to the ProV1 for the reduction in driver spin (hence the time to time 8 on my card) I knew that I was going to sacrifice some distance with the move but I digress.

ProV1: A true pleasure to hit, soft but not mushy.  Medium trajectory low spin but the shortest out of the three.

B330-S: You know you are hitting a different ball, much firmer, a bit higher and about 3-5 yards longer than the ProV.

Vice: Ok, so you know, when you read up top and I said I was hesitant to play a bright red ball n stuff... it went away after the first tee ball, this thing is LONG.  I was concerned that my SS was going to be too high to play it but I was dead wrong.  The thing that surprised me the most was the piercing trajectory, and I like that.  very low spin, and did I mention how long it was?

7 Iron:  So we have a great par three out here that plays anywhere between 150-190 yards with a three tiered green.  Today the pin was on the middle tier and I moved back to 172 yards on the dot, my perfect 7 iron with a beautiful little butter cut (ok so thats how I play it out in my head, just like the rest of us and 7/10 times I am on the green....somewhere and the other three....well we aren't going to talk about that).  So three shots later with each ball and we see below.

ProV1: Again, a pleasure to hit, medium trajectory landed on the green, one hopped and settled nicely into place.  Just what you expect from a ProV1.  I will say that there is no backing this ball up, at least for me but I am ok with that.

B330-S: Again, much firmer, a bit deeper with the 7 iron on average, but does spin more than that ProV1 for me and if you catch it on the right kind of slope, it will come all the way back.  Also felt a bit clicky on the club face.

Vice:  Again nothing compares to the feel of a ProV1 in my opinion, however, this ball is a bit clicky, just not as much as the B330.  Outstanding flight, just a bit higher than the ProV1 and a nice hop, stop and little check on all three shots.  

56 degree wedge from 65 yards:  Ok, the shot we all think we can hit like Jordan, and to me a very important shot in my bag as I am a fairly long player, and I face this shot at least twice to four times a round, weather it save par or make a birdie is for a different thread.  But this is a shot that I have to have in my bag.  I game a Vokey SM5 Raw with a KBS Hi-Rev shaft.  the 65 yard shot for me is just a bit short of 45 degrees and my ideal shot is a lower one hop and dead stop shot.  

ProV1: Same theme here again and again, performed exactly as it is supposed to.  One hop, and a stop and a nice little settle on all three shots, just like god intended.  Soft feel and I know exactly what it is going to do.  The one down side to it is that sometimes, even if I flush it, it doesn't want to hold, happened on one of the three shots.  (Yea I know thats why they make the x)

B330-S:  Same thing again, a much clickier sound to the wedge, but a good flight, this is where this ball shines, a lot of spin, and stopped much shorter than the ProV.  

Vice:  Again, I didn't want to like it, but it was just as soft as the ProV, though clicky in the sound but the ball does exactly as advertised.  All three shots stopped, I mean dead stopped after they touched down.  

Putter:  I have always been taught and through that the putting green is your personal sanctuary.  Wether it is full of angels or demons is always a battle.  I put left hand low, with a putter that is fitted for a completely different stroke than mine, but hey it works for me.  

ProV1:  Again.... the standard, soft and true roll, butter off of a milled face.

B330-S:  Again...Clickey but not as bad as I remembered, however my least favorite by far.

Vice: ......... it was amazing..... I am gonna say it..... better than the ProV1... so soft and true... I couldn't believe it myself.

Wear:  Of course the picture doesn't want to load but the wear of the Vice Ball was outstanding, no loss of color or nick marks.... it might have been the one that wore the best.  The ProV..... still wears like crap in my mind.... one of the things I like the least about it.  And why does it seam like the B330 is indestructible.  

Final:  The Vice is going in my bag, hands down.  I really liked it and for the price...... you can't beat it... I bought 5 doz of them from Germany.... at 24 bucks a doz.  I knew if I didn't like them I could sell them to other members but they are staying put... and going into play.  the ProV at almost 50 bucks and the B330 at like 45 is just not worth it.  Hope this helps someone, let me know if there are any questions and I hope to see everyone out there this Spring and Summer.

Titleist 915D2 9.5° - Aldila Rouge Black 70-X
Tour Exotic EX9 Tour 15° - Aldila Rouge Silver 70-X
Titleist H816 H1 18° - Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 HB TS-S
TaylorMade RSi TP UDI 4i - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 110-S
Ping i25 (5-9) - KBS Tour-V 110-S
Titleist Vokey SM6 46/08 (F) - KBS Tour-V
Titleist Vokey SM5 52/08 (F) - KBS Tour-V
Titleist Vokey SM5 56/10 (M) - KBS Hi-Rev
Titleist Vokey SM6 62/08 (M) - KBS Hi-Rev
Scotty Cameron California Del-Mar
Titleist Pro V1......Vice Pro/Pro Soft Neon Red

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Minarets

Minarets

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28043
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

Nice review.  Thanks

So the Vice feels soft but sounds clicky?
Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
Putter: SeeMore mFGP
Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV

#3 Uhit

Uhit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostCaptWillis, on 12 April 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

Ok so this is one of those, first time caller, long time listener things.  I have been, just like many of you I am sure, looking for a better ball that suits my game better.  (Thanks Rory for making me look like a pompous ....)  Anyways, please see below and I do hope that it helps some of you.

About me:  I am a 32 year old male with a driver swing speed of about 104-108 depending on the amount of IPAs in the bar before I start.  I am a US Marine Officer so I stay in pretty good shape, and thus far, I think my game is well ahead of where it should be (Thanks Norther Virginia winter).  I would consider my self a total feel player, when it comes to my equipment and how I play.  Strengths are short irons/wedges and weakness is long irons/tee game.  I have a tendency to spin the ball.... a lot and I have played the Callaway Chrome Soft so and went back to the ProV1 so I was a bit anxious about ordering and gaming this one so here we go.  I play at a solid 6, but it is very likely to find a few birdies on my card, as well as an 8.

Course: Course in NoVa, a PB Dye design so there is a premium on accuracy and iron control to many tiered greens.   It was about 86 degrees, and not a cloud in the sky.  The greens were running about 9-ish and the fairways have come in really well so, clean passes were rewarded.  

Balls: I tested the ProV1, Bridgestone B330-S, and the Vice Pro Soft Neon Red

Driver: I moved to the ProV1 for the reduction in driver spin (hence the time to time 8 on my card) I knew that I was going to sacrifice some distance with the move but I digress.

ProV1: A true pleasure to hit, soft but not mushy.  Medium trajectory low spin but the shortest out of the three.

B330-S: You know you are hitting a different ball, much firmer, a bit higher and about 3-5 yards longer than the ProV.

Vice: Ok, so you know, when you read up top and I said I was hesitant to play a bright red ball n stuff... it went away after the first tee ball, this thing is LONG.  I was concerned that my SS was going to be too high to play it but I was dead wrong.  The thing that surprised me the most was the piercing trajectory, and I like that.  very low spin, and did I mention how long it was?

7 Iron:  So we have a great par three out here that plays anywhere between 150-190 yards with a three tiered green.  Today the pin was on the middle tier and I moved back to 172 yards on the dot, my perfect 7 iron with a beautiful little butter cut (ok so thats how I play it out in my head, just like the rest of us and 7/10 times I am on the green....somewhere and the other three....well we aren't going to talk about that).  So three shots later with each ball and we see below.

ProV1: Again, a pleasure to hit, medium trajectory landed on the green, one hopped and settled nicely into place.  Just what you expect from a ProV1.  I will say that there is no backing this ball up, at least for me but I am ok with that.

B330-S: Again, much firmer, a bit deeper with the 7 iron on average, but does spin more than that ProV1 for me and if you catch it on the right kind of slope, it will come all the way back.  Also felt a bit clicky on the club face.

Vice:  Again nothing compares to the feel of a ProV1 in my opinion, however, this ball is a bit clicky, just not as much as the B330.  Outstanding flight, just a bit higher than the ProV1 and a nice hop, stop and little check on all three shots.  

56 degree wedge from 65 yards:  Ok, the shot we all think we can hit like Jordan, and to me a very important shot in my bag as I am a fairly long player, and I face this shot at least twice to four times a round, weather it save par or make a birdie is for a different thread.  But this is a shot that I have to have in my bag.  I game a Vokey SM5 Raw with a KBS Hi-Rev shaft.  the 65 yard shot for me is just a bit short of 45 degrees and my ideal shot is a lower one hop and dead stop shot.  

ProV1: Same theme here again and again, performed exactly as it is supposed to.  One hop, and a stop and a nice little settle on all three shots, just like god intended.  Soft feel and I know exactly what it is going to do.  The one down side to it is that sometimes, even if I flush it, it doesn't want to hold, happened on one of the three shots.  (Yea I know thats why they make the x)

B330-S:  Same thing again, a much clickier sound to the wedge, but a good flight, this is where this ball shines, a lot of spin, and stopped much shorter than the ProV.  

Vice:  Again, I didn't want to like it, but it was just as soft as the ProV, though clicky in the sound but the ball does exactly as advertised.  All three shots stopped, I mean dead stopped after they touched down.  

Putter:  I have always been taught and through that the putting green is your personal sanctuary.  Wether it is full of angels or demons is always a battle.  I put left hand low, with a putter that is fitted for a completely different stroke than mine, but hey it works for me.  

ProV1:  Again.... the standard, soft and true roll, butter off of a milled face.

B330-S:  Again...Clickey but not as bad as I remembered, however my least favorite by far.

Vice: ......... it was amazing..... I am gonna say it..... better than the ProV1... so soft and true... I couldn't believe it myself.

Wear:  Of course the picture doesn't want to load but the wear of the Vice Ball was outstanding, no loss of color or nick marks.... it might have been the one that wore the best.  The ProV..... still wears like crap in my mind.... one of the things I like the least about it.  And why does it seam like the B330 is indestructible.  

Final:  The Vice is going in my bag, hands down.  I really liked it and for the price...... you can't beat it... I bought 5 doz of them from Germany.... at 24 bucks a doz.  I knew if I didn't like them I could sell them to other members but they are staying put... and going into play.  the ProV at almost 50 bucks and the B330 at like 45 is just not worth it.  Hope this helps someone, let me know if there are any questions and I hope to see everyone out there this Spring and Summer.

Are you sure you played the (2016) B330S and not the B330?

Because the 2016 B330S is in my book less clicky, than the 2016 Chrome Soft!

Edited by Uhit, 12 April 2017 - 08:27 AM.

#4 CaptWillis

CaptWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

Yep, positive about the 330-S. To each their own

#5 SaltyJr

SaltyJr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395908
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the review, mine came in the other day.  Looking forward on getting them on course next weekend.

#6 CaptWillis

CaptWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostMinarets, on 12 April 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

Nice review.  Thanks

Yes, a bit more than the ProV1 in my opinion, but not to the point that it deteriorated my impression.  I still believe that the ProV1 is the standard in which all ball are measured.  I had to find something I didn't like about it.

#7 Minarets

Minarets

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostCaptWillis, on 12 April 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

Nice review.  Thanks

Yes, a bit more than the ProV1 in my opinion, but not to the point that it deteriorated my impression.  I still believe that the ProV1 is the standard in which all ball are measured.  I had to find something I didn't like about it.

Thanks. I have thought about getting some lime and white ones. I too love the pro v, and like a soft feel from a ball. Been considering the Wilson Duo Urethane as well. The clicky sound worried me but sounds like it's not too bad.

#8 CaptWillis

CaptWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostMinarets, on 12 April 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

View PostCaptWillis, on 12 April 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

Nice review.  Thanks

Thanks. I have thought about getting some lime and white ones. I too love the pro v, and like a soft feel from a ball. Been considering the Wilson Duo Urethane as well. The clicky sound worried me but sounds like it's not too bad.
I really don't think you can go wrong in any direction.  I have not played the Duo, but heard great things about them.  Again, the clicky-ness didn't deter me from putting them right into play.

#9 chocolate_rehab

chocolate_rehab

look good, play good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381886
GolfWRX Likes : 539

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

Going to add my own review to this thread, if that's okay!

Quick recap: I'm a female, fairly athletic, 30s, SS with driver of about 95. I've been playing golf about 2 years, so not exactly Lydia Ko.

I was an avid fan of the original Pro Neon ball and was excited to try Softs out, especially for the new red color. I played 9 holes this morning, hitting 2 balls (empty course) alternating with the Soft and regular Pro Neon ball.

Verdict: I have updated my thoughts on it and now prefer it to the Vice Pro Neon ball. I decided to give it another try because theoretically it really fits my swing and my game and I'm glad I did. I especially love it off the putter. Vice balls have been great to me and switching from the Pro Neon to the Pro Soft Neon is an easy move.

Posted Image

Edited by chocolate_rehab, 01 November 2017 - 02:53 PM.

Ping G400 SF Tec 12*
Ping G400 SF Tec 3w, 5w
Ping G400 4H
Ping i200 5-UW
Callaway MD3 54* and PM 58*
Edel Columbia Custom

#10 zzyzxx33

zzyzxx33

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46767
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

Was the ProV1 from 2017 or prior?
Thanks,
Andrew

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Uhit

Uhit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostCaptWillis, on 12 April 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Yep, positive about the 330-S. To each their own

Was it the 2016/17 version, or the 2014/15 version?

#12 CaptWillis

CaptWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

2016 ProV1

#13 zzyzxx33

zzyzxx33

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46767
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

View PostCaptWillis, on 12 April 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

2016 ProV1

Thanks. Nice write up.

Andrew

#14 Uhit

Uhit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

2016 ProV1

Maybe it would be helpful, if you post a picture of the balls...
...especially of the B330S, to clarify whether it was the 14/15, or 16/17 version - Thanks!

#15 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443386
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

That ball is a lot more pink than the Volvik, right?  I find the red Volvik to be the easiest ball to track, but it feels like hitting a cinder block.

#16 2Down

2Down

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103764

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

View Postchocolate_rehab, on 12 April 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

Going to add my own review to this thread, if that's okay!

Quick recap: I'm a female, fairly athletic, 30s, SS with driver of about 95. I've been playing golf about 2 years, so not exactly Lydia Ko.

I was an avid fan of the original Pro Neon ball and was excited to try Softs out, especially for the new red color. I played 9 holes this morning, hitting 2 balls (empty course) alternating with the Soft and regular Pro Neon ball.

Verdict: I actually think this ball felt harder to me than the original Pro Neon. It reminded me very much of the matte Volvik Vivid ball, which I like stylistically but have never loved the feel of (also feels hard to me). Off my irons it felt hard. The ball reacted as I expected on chips. Off the putter it was very nice, and it was REALLY easy to pick out in the grass, so those are both pluses. The one other positive is it came to a stop very quickly - I would say a tiny bit better than the Pro Neon, but will need get some more data on that as my shots aren't always exactly the same consistency-wise.

Unfortunately, I preferred the feel of the original Pro Neon. I am going to do some more testing, but I would buy the Pro Neons again if I could. I'm not sure Vice is offering them anymore - they're on the website but sold out. I'm going to reach out to them and find out.

My dream ball would be the Pro Neon in the red color, but not this new "soft" version. I will give it another go when I play 18 this weekend. Color can't be beat though!

Posted Image
I have been using the Vivid and liking it pretty much, I do like its feel on a flush shot, and I am getting enough spin to stop it into greens
A mat finish urethane ball would go onto the I want to try it list
So, the Vivid is an 80 Compression ball and feels like an 80 to me, it is at the lower limit for my likes.
Do you know what the numbers are for the Vice?
Thank you
Ping G400 Lst 10° Mitsubishi Kuro Kage SIlver Dual Core Ti-Ni
Titliest 915 15° Mitsubishi blue S
Adams 20° and 23° Mitsubishi white S
Taylormade 2014 MBs   5-W  KBS tour S
Vokey 52° Gw dg
Ping eye2 56° sw dg gold
Ping eye2 60° lw dg golf
Odyssey 7S

#17 chocolate_rehab

chocolate_rehab

look good, play good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381886
GolfWRX Likes : 539

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:53 PM

View Postlspky_muskie, on 12 April 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

That ball is a lot more pink than the Volvik, right?  I find the red Volvik to be the easiest ball to track, but it feels like hitting a cinder block.

It's a little more pink, yeah, but their similar in their brightness. And yeah, that's always been my problem with Volvik Vivids. Love the color, but feels super hard to me. Going go give the Pro Soft Neons another go before I rule one way or the other. The Pro Neons were my perfect ball though, so it's a bummer they changed them instead of just offering more colors.

View Post2Down, on 12 April 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I have been using the Vivid and liking it pretty much, I do like its feel on a flush shot, and I am getting enough spin to stop it into greens
A mat finish urethane ball would go onto the I want to try it list
So, the Vivid is an 80 Compression ball and feels like an 80 to me, it is at the lower limit for my likes.
Do you know what the numbers are for the Vice?
Thank you

I don't know, sorry. Felt very similar to me to the Vivid.
Ping G400 SF Tec 12*
Ping G400 SF Tec 3w, 5w
Ping G400 4H
Ping i200 5-UW
Callaway MD3 54* and PM 58*
Edel Columbia Custom

#18 CaptWillis

CaptWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 592

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:07 PM

2016 ProV1

Great review, thanks for sharing!

FYI - 2017 V is all together a different animal versus 15/16 V.  If you have any interest in liking all the things you liked about 15/16 V, plus about 10 yards (100 mph swing speed), give her a run. ;)
PING G400 LST Driver 7.5º ~ Tour AD BB-6
TaylorMade M2 Fairway (2016) 16.5º ~ Tour AD GT-7
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 20º ~ Tour AD GT-75 UT
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 23º ~ Tour AD HY-85
Epon by Endo AF-503 Irons 5–PW ~ Project X 5.5 (Hard Stepped +1)
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 51.13 F (Heal & Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 57.09 M (Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 63.09 M (Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) ~ 34"
Titleist Pro V1 (2017) ~ #45

#20 Minarets

Minarets

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, consensus seems to be the V is the winter versus the V1x in 2017 land

But I don't want to pay for those so Vice, yay!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Steveleeifc

Steveleeifc

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433568
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

Great post

#22 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

Wizard in the Corner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1157

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

What PB Dye course in NoVa are you playing?
Taylormade M2 ('17) 11*
Taylormade M1 17*
Cobra F7 19*
Mizuno MP H5 4 iron
Mizuno MP 32 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 52*, 60*
Titleist SM5 56*
Spider Tour Black
TPx

#23 CaptWillis

CaptWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

View PostWidespreadPanic, on 19 April 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

What PB Dye course in NoVa are you playing?

The Gauntlet Golf Club, just north of Fredericksburg VA.

#24 CaptWillis

CaptWillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostMinarets, on 17 April 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

Yeah, consensus seems to be the V is the winter versus the V1x in 2017 land

But I don't want to pay for those so Vice, yay!

I completely agree with you G-Bone, was lucky enough to get up to Bethpage this weekend and play the Green, Red and Black and grabbed a sleeve of the new ProV1s, just amazing.  Though I might play with them in some games, matches and tournaments, the Vice for the price is staying in the bag for all other shenanigans!

#25 amerza18

amerza18

amerza18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25357
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

I stumbled across this review on YouTube

https://youtu.be/v2tFIF7FspA

#26 SliceySloth

SliceySloth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420076
  • Handicap:30
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

Great review and after playing with them the last 2 weeks I agree with everything you say. The one thing I want to point out is how resilient I found the cover to be. I used the white matte ball. I played with the same ball for 51 holes before it found it's way at the bottom of a lake (it was 3 holes away from retirement). No matter how many trees I hit that ball almost looked brand new and played as if it was. I gave a friend a ball to play with and he this his on the cart path that took quite a few bounces. He had visual scratches on his but the ball still felt smooth.

#27 kgk

kgk

Slapshot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6361
  • Handicap:3ish
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

Has anyone played this ball next to the current Chrome Soft?  Interested in your take, if so.  I have recently fallen in love with the 2016 CS.  Didn't care for 2015 that much tho...

#28 tweakedmelon

tweakedmelon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87367
  • Ebay ID:sternalot
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

For reference, I am a lower SS player with driver speed probably in the mid-90s, 8 handicap, and generally mediocre across all parts of the game. I currently play the 2016 Chrome Soft. I tried a round with the Vice Pro previously, but I hated it. Felt like a rock to me vs. the 2015 Chrome Soft I was playing at the time. Plus, the very defined equator on the ball bugged me. The seam on the Pro Soft is probably exactly the same, but it seems marginally less offensive, perhaps due to the matte finish.

Anyway, I played the Pro Soft yesterday for 9 holes. Overall, the ball felt very, very similar to the 2016 Chrome Soft. Perhaps a hair harder off the driver, but similar through the rest of my clubs including the putter. I quite liked it around the greens. Distance seemed fairly similar, though it is hard to tell with only 9 holes. Ball flight was maybe a smidgen lower, but again hard to draw definitive conclusions from such a small sample size.

I'd like to get more holes under my belt with the ball, but I could definitely see myself playing this ball as a replacement for the Chrome Soft. While I have ho-ed many clubs, I've been pretty consistent with my golf ball selection, so it seems shocking that I'd be willing to switch.

#29 tweakedmelon

tweakedmelon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87367
  • Ebay ID:sternalot
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

Played another 9 with the Vice Pro Soft today. See above for more info on me as a golfer.

I basically just want to reiterate what I said about this ball in my last post. It is very similar to the 2016 Chrome Soft. A couple added things, distance might be slightly less for me off my woods. It was pretty damp and muggy today, so this could have possibly been a factor of the conditions rather than the ball.

I also generally disagree with people on the ball holding up well. The matte finish seems to pick up little scuffs and discolorations quicker than a traditionally finished ball. With something like a Chrome Soft, a quick wipe on my golf towel can usually restore the ball to like-new. The Vice Pro Soft seems to need a little bit more TLC to get back to like-new. To clarify, it doesn't seem the cover is getting ripped up, but merely staining quickly.

#30 jacobEDGE

jacobEDGE

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446572
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:40 AM

I've been playing with the Vice Pro Neon's for a while (see avatar), and love them.

I got SUPER excited when I heard the annoucement of the Vice Pro Softs. So I ordered a dozen in the red color. I love colored balls, so that took no time getting used to. But man, oh man. After 2 rounds, and playing with 1 sleeve...I'm ready to throw the remaining 3 sleeves of balls in the trash. I absolutely hate the feel of the Vice Pro Soft off the putter. It feels hollow. It feels like I'm putting with a plastic practice ball full of holes. It feels so damned light weight. Not soft, but light weight. After hours of practice putting and a couple rounds under my belt...I can never get the ball to the hole. It just won't roll far enough. I've practiced with the Vice Pro, Vice Pro Soft, and a Chrome Soft side by side. Chrome Soft and Vice Pro I'm a putting wizard (okay, not really, but still pretty damn good). Vice Pro Soft...nada. Nothing. Horrible.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors