Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Bridgestone e6+ and e5+...


36 replies to this topic

#1 HMArndtGolf

HMArndtGolf

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50358
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:56 AM

It seems, at least according to my previous post, that many people here really like the Bridgestone e6+ and e5+ for the best balls under $30. Are they really that good?

Last year I tried a sleeve of the e5 and a sleeve of the e6 and nothing really stood out about either one. Is the e6+ and e5+ that big of improvement or did I just not give the Bridgestone balls enough time on the course?

I'm really looking for a ball that is straight off the tee, gives drop and stop spin from 120 and in, is reasonably long, and offers better than average durability (in that order of importance).

Is the Bridgestone e6+ or e5+ the best ball for that job? *

The other two balls I've been considering are the NXT Tour and the HX Hot Bite.

HMArndtGolf

*I originally had this post asking about the e6+ but after hearing more comments it seems like the e5+ may be the one offering more drop and stop performance from 120 and in.

Edited by HMArndtGolf, 03 March 2008 - 10:52 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 sofla

sofla

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38058
  • Joined: 08/24/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

I use the e6 (now the e6+) almost exclusively after trying many.  It really has become a distance ball that is soft enough for good green work.  I also liked the e5. The e5+ seems to spin a lot more and loses distance.
Ping G400 LST
Callaway Rogue 3w
Exotics CB5 18
Callaway Rogue Hybrid 21
Srixon 585 5-7, 785 8-pw
Ping Gorge 52, 56, 60
Toulon - Portland

2

#3 1hit67

1hit67

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48362
  • Joined: 02/08/2008
  • Location:South Central, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:39 AM

I agree that the e5+spins more than the e5 and is a bit softer feeling. In the golf course pro shop where I work, the feedback is very positive on the e6+, although I haven't played it yet. IMO both excellent balls for the price and again boils down to personal perference.

3

#4 billybaroo

billybaroo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20513
  • Joined: 10/12/2006
  • Location:Cold and snowy Massachusetts
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

I played e6 the second half of last year after I discovered this ball.  I love the feel off the club and have no issues with the spin around the greens.  I have a box of e6+ for when the snow melts.  

IMO for $25/dozen of ~$6/sleeve it is not a significant investment to test them out yourself.

4

#5 skinny99

skinny99

    Skinny99

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29610
  • Joined: 05/24/2007
  • Location:Deltona,FL
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

I just bought the last sleeve of e6+ from my golf shop and played them three rounds in a row and was very happy. I shot my best two rounds ever. I got to play yesterday and the e6's were beat up enough that I played some NXT extreme's instead and I really like the e6's a whole lot better. I carry them about the same as the NXT but they roll better and are softer around the greens. Am I the only one who likes new pretty golf balls?I just cant play with beat up dirty looking balls. Todd


5

#6 blindwolf

blindwolf

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48763
  • Joined: 02/13/2008
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

I haven't played the E6+ yet, but I played the E6 last season.  Really liked the e6 as I needed a low spinning ball off the tee that was still good around the green.  I've got several dozen e6+ waiting to be used once the snow melts.  I assumed that the e6+ performs similarly to the e6.  Are there any significant differences between the two?

6

#7 harmonica

harmonica

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49997
  • Joined: 02/26/2008
  • Location:Milwaukee, WI
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

I did a pretty exhaustive ball search last year and settled in on the e6 and the hx hot, with the nxt tour close behind.  I am waiting to try the e6+ this year.  I do not have any problem having any of these balls stop on the green with approach shots.  I played the Hot for the most part and liked it to the point where I didn't purchase any more e6's.  When the Hot Bite came out I noticed that the marketing for the regular Hot said it was even hotter.  This concerns me a bit.  If I find that they did alter the original Hot to the point where I cannot stop it on approaches,...than the e6+ will interest me a great deal.

I am afraid of the cover's durability on the Hot Bite, but may try a sleeve of these as well.

I am very interested to hear more opinions on the e6+.

7

#8 newjedi

newjedi

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26091
  • Joined: 02/27/2007
  • Location:Louisiana
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

e5+ definately has more stopping power compared to the e6+.  I played the e6+ along side a Wilson Zip the other day and both were equal off the tee and irons the difference came with wedges and the Zip offered more spin.  Now I also hit the e5+ as well that day and found it to be quite a bit shorter off the tee about 5-10 yard but I am a high spin player off the driver which caused that.  When it came to wedge shots with the e5+ compared to the Zip or e6+ there was no comparison.  The e5+ would work well if your driver spin is low enough not to cause an issue as it did with mine if so then the added short game spin is well worth going with the e5+ it all comes down to what is your game lacking the most short game spin or distance/accuracy off the tee.

8

#9 dukesweb

dukesweb

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10383
  • Joined: 01/23/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

Have not played the new + version yet but played the e6 all of last year as well. Definitely not as much spin as the e5 when I tested both.  The e6 was maybe a bit longer for me and even a tad bit softer than the e5, but it would not stop as quick as the e5. I wanted more distance so I just got use to the longer approaches rolling out a bit. I am still going to buy the original e6 (closeout prices here are $19.99) until I have to switch to the + versions, then I guess I will test both and see which upgrade I like better.

9

#10 BEND OF THE RIVER GC

BEND OF THE RIVER GC

    Hall of Fame

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2495
  • Joined: 07/13/2005
  • Location:Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Ebay ID:jmcdyd
GolfWRX Likes : 1090

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

The original e5 and e6 balls are on sale at Golf Galaxy for $17.99

Our sponsors might even offer them lower.

TM M1 Kurokage shaft
TM RBZ 3 wood stock Ozik shaft
TM R11 4 wood Fujikura Rombax 6X07
TM RBZ with Oban Revenge shaft
Ping G irons 4-UW
Nike VR 56*
Nike VR 60*
Black Lab oil can 350g custom grind by Geo
Ping 4 Under carry bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 dukesweb

dukesweb

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10383
  • Joined: 01/23/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thanks. Guess I'll have to check out the Golf Galaxy again. The $19.99 was the price they had at the end of last year. I have not been back to buy balls since.

11

#12 mizuno#1

mizuno#1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15318
  • Joined: 06/07/2006
  • Location:San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

View PostHMArndtGolf, on Mar 3 2008, 06:56 AM, said:

It seems, at least according to my previous post, that many people here really like the Bridgestone e6+ and e5+ for the best balls under $30. Are they really that good?

Last year I tried a sleeve of the e5 and a sleeve of the e6 and nothing really stood out about either one. Is the e6+ and e5+ that big of improvement or did I just not give the Bridgestone balls enough time on the course?

I'm really looking for a ball that is straight off the tee, gives drop and stop spin from 120 and in, is reasonably long, and offers better than average durability (in that order of importance).

Is the Bridgestone e6+ or e5+ the best ball for that job? *

The other two balls I've been considering are the NXT Tour and the HX Hot Bite.

HMArndtGolf

*I originally had this post asking about the e6+ but after hearing more comments it seems like the e5+ may be the one offering more drop and stop performance from 120 and in.

Based on your needs as described..  I would say the E5+,  Wilson Zip, and Top Flight Gamer are the balls to check out.        

The E6+ will not stop in its pitch mark.  It will roll out.. even on wedges.

12

#13 mab1633

mab1633

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40717
  • Joined: 10/11/2007
  • Location:Howell, MI
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

To me the e5+ is a great ball.  Good distance and great around the greens.  I'm a PRO V1 player but I'm disgusted about paying $45 a dozen...  For $24 a dozen (e5+) I think it a great deal and a great ball.  I have 6 dozen Pro V's left but once they are gone I will make the switch to the e5+.

13

#14 MrJones

MrJones

    Waiting for the weekend...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Joined: 08/26/2006
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1023

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

I love the E6 series. The E6+ has slightly more spin but not anything like a premium ball. It's the best ball for my game.

As for it not stopping that's not true. I've stopped mine and even rolled a few back a foot or so and I'm not a high spin player.

Generally though this ball flies higher than most for me and lands soft. have no problem at all keeping it on the greens.

For pitches and chips I've learned to play for a little roll out.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

14

#15 HMArndtGolf

HMArndtGolf

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50358
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

View Postmizuno#1, on Mar 3 2008, 12:56 PM, said:

Based on your needs as described.. I would say the E5+, Wilson Zip, and Top Flight Gamer are the balls to check out.

The E6+ will not stop in its pitch mark. It will roll out.. even on wedges.

I've heard some about both the Zip and the Gamer but have yet to find either in a local store (Dicks Sporting Goods, Wal-mart, K-Mart, 3 local golf shops, etc.).

HMArndtGolf


15

#16 HMArndtGolf

HMArndtGolf

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50358
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

View Postnewjedi, on Mar 3 2008, 11:11 AM, said:

e5+ definately has more stopping power compared to the e6+. The e5+ would work well if your driver spin is low enough not to cause an issue as it did with mine if so then the added short game spin is well worth going with the e5+ it all comes down to what is your game lacking the most short game spin or distance/accuracy off the tee.

I'm really surprised to hear how much greenside spin most people say the e5+ has.  It's been a very long time since I've found a 2 piece ball that offers enough spin for me (drop and stop) from 120 yards and in.  Glad to hear there's one out there that offers it at a cheap price.

HMArndtGolf


16

#17 jmckito

jmckito

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32143
  • Joined: 06/19/2007
  • Location:Parts Unknown
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

I only play E5's. You cant beat the them for the money.

17

#18 mizuno#1

mizuno#1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15318
  • Joined: 06/07/2006
  • Location:San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

View PostMrJones, on Mar 3 2008, 10:13 AM, said:

I love the E6 series. The E6+ has slightly more spin but not anything like a premium ball. It's the best ball for my game.

As for it not stopping that's not true. I've stopped mine and even rolled a few back a foot or so and I'm not a high spin player.

Generally though this ball flies higher than most for me and lands soft. have no problem at all keeping it on the greens.

For pitches and chips I've learned to play for a little roll out.

Completely disagree with the statement that the E6+ spins more.  No way it spins more than the E5+ off irons or wedges.

18

#19 sidewinder

sidewinder

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20202
  • Joined: 10/03/2006
  • Location:San Jose, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

View Postmizuno#1, on Mar 3 2008, 11:33 AM, said:

View PostMrJones, on Mar 3 2008, 10:13 AM, said:

I love the E6 series. The E6+ has slightly more spin but not anything like a premium ball. It's the best ball for my game.

As for it not stopping that's not true. I've stopped mine and even rolled a few back a foot or so and I'm not a high spin player.

Generally though this ball flies higher than most for me and lands soft. have no problem at all keeping it on the greens.

For pitches and chips I've learned to play for a little roll out.

Completely disagree with the statement that the E6+ spins more.  No way it spins more than the E5+ off irons or wedges.
Relax......look at the post again....MrJones is saying the e6+ has more spin than the e6......

Scott

19

#20 Hotstover

Hotstover

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36769
  • Joined: 08/07/2007
  • Location:Saratoga Springs, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

I played the e6 a lot last year. At first, I played it because it was known as a ball that could correct a slice. Beleive me - it did! I played it a little less once I worked my swing to effectively rid myself of the slice. But the non-slice factor isn't the only thing in its favor. It flies! I won a longest-drive competition during my company's golf tourney last year. A good all-around ball that really lowers spin off the driver (at least sidespin).

Now, I can't really spin it all that well around the greens (any ball, not just this) so I can't comment too much there - but I would think it's not the best for greenside play, even if you are good at it. But overall, I can't complain about this ball. I'm sure I'll pick up a dozen of the pluses this season once my supply of the previous version runs out.

Edited by Hotstover, 03 March 2008 - 02:44 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 mizuno#1

mizuno#1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15318
  • Joined: 06/07/2006
  • Location:San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

View Postsidewinder, on Mar 3 2008, 11:41 AM, said:

View Postmizuno#1, on Mar 3 2008, 11:33 AM, said:

View PostMrJones, on Mar 3 2008, 10:13 AM, said:

I love the E6 series. The E6+ has slightly more spin but not anything like a premium ball. It's the best ball for my game.

As for it not stopping that's not true. I've stopped mine and even rolled a few back a foot or so and I'm not a high spin player.

Generally though this ball flies higher than most for me and lands soft. have no problem at all keeping it on the greens.

For pitches and chips I've learned to play for a little roll out.

Completely disagree with the statement that the E6+ spins more.  No way it spins more than the E5+ off irons or wedges.
Relax......look at the post again....MrJones is saying the e6+ has more spin than the e6......

Scott

I stand corrected.   My apologies.

21

#22 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,809 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 7325

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

Been playing the E5+ and will say that I think it spins almost as much as a ProV1 around the greens.  I havn't noticed that much more spin with the driver, but I dont spin it that much anyway with that club.  

I had a 8 iron into the green the other day, it was into the wind and the greens were soft, and I spun it back about 20 feet.  Of course the ball ended up farther away from the hole than if it would have jumped forward, but you get my point.  

Anyway if you want a fairly cheap ball with good spin the e5+ is the way to go IMO.
Current 17 club rotation
Callaway GBB/Ping G400
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

22

#23 thefuryone

thefuryone

    JESUS CHRIST, A LION!

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45671
  • Joined: 01/11/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on Mar 4 2008, 10:49 AM, said:

Been playing the E5+ and will say that I think it spins almost as much as a ProV1 around the greens. I havn't noticed that much more spin with the driver, but I dont spin it that much anyway with that club.

I had a 8 iron into the green the other day, it was into the wind and the greens were soft, and I spun it back about 20 feet. Of course the ball ended up farther away from the hole than if it would have jumped forward, but you get my point.

Anyway if you want a fairly cheap ball with good spin the e5+ is the way to go IMO.

I think I'm going to get a box of the e5+, see how I like them.  Since my NOP from last year are getting low and my TA2|SPN got discontinued.

23

#24 HMArndtGolf

HMArndtGolf

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50358
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on Mar 3 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

Anyway if you want a fairly cheap ball with good spin the e5+ is the way to go IMO.

I see an internet site charges $24.95 for the e5+....is this the typical cost of this ball?

Thanks!!!!!

HMArndtGolf

24

#25 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,809 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 7325

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

View Postthefuryone, on Mar 3 2008, 06:19 PM, said:

View Postdlygrisse, on Mar 4 2008, 10:49 AM, said:

Been playing the E5+ and will say that I think it spins almost as much as a ProV1 around the greens. I havn't noticed that much more spin with the driver, but I dont spin it that much anyway with that club.

I had a 8 iron into the green the other day, it was into the wind and the greens were soft, and I spun it back about 20 feet. Of course the ball ended up farther away from the hole than if it would have jumped forward, but you get my point.

Anyway if you want a fairly cheap ball with good spin the e5+ is the way to go IMO.

I think I'm going to get a box of the e5+, see how I like them. Since my NOP from last year are getting low and my TA2|SPN got discontinued.
I played the NOP last year and I think I like the e5+ better, distance is as good or better, greenside spin almost as good, iron spin about equal.

Current 17 club rotation
Callaway GBB/Ping G400
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

25

#26 bobneis

bobneis

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6857
  • Joined: 10/16/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

Last time I was at the Golfsmith in Austin,TX, the E6+'s were flying off the shelves. I played the E6+ most of February. I lked the ball alot, especially when I got a hole-in-one at the Legends at Lake LBJ, Kingsland,TX on February 23rd.

26

#27 sidewinder

sidewinder

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20202
  • Joined: 10/03/2006
  • Location:San Jose, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

I played the e6+ last Saturday and was pleasantly surprised by the increase in control around the greens compared to the e6. The ball still doesn't spin enough though....I still like the Maxfli Fire Tour....

Scott

27

#28 snoman

snoman

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9224
  • Joined: 12/31/2005
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

Im not a scientist but why would Bstone not just put a urethane cover on the E6 also to provide that little extra bite. I realize this may increase spin on full shots as a result but probably not as much as the E5 due to the 3 piece construction. Obviously the E6 is marketed and designed as the low spin slice fixer but would a urethane cover negate this?

Edited by snoman, 03 March 2008 - 08:57 PM.


28

#29 telluwhat

telluwhat

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4884
  • Joined: 08/10/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:28 PM

I've settled on the E6+. I like a ball that feels soft, and the E5+ is a tad too hard feeling for my liking. I played the E6 a lot last season, as well as trying just about every other ball in that price range.

I tried a sleeve of the HX Hot Bites last week. They were a bit too hard feeling for me, and they spun a lot more off the tee.

One thing worries me - I bought a membership at golfballselector.com. I've tried several of the recommended balls. No matter how I answer the questions, the E6 is way down on the list for me, and balls I know I don't like are high on the list. The worst part is that the consistently highest recommendation is a Wilson ball no longer in production.

29

#30 ironplayer

ironplayer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2533
  • Joined: 07/13/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:01 AM

I play e6 and now e6+ mainly (although i just picked up e6 from last year's item sale..), and just love them. I like them better b330S for many reasons.  

It's definitely less-spin off the club face, and to me that means more distance and straighter flight.   I'm not sure why some people say it doesn't stop even on wedges, but e6 is really soft enough to play around the green.  Maybe not your 7 or longer irons, but i have no trouble stopping with my short irons or wedges.  

seriously,  unless you give pro v1x at its half price, i just can't think of better ball than e6/e6+ for the price.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors