Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I admit, JDM feels better because it's hard to get..

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 larciel

larciel

I play for eagle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228091
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

When purchasing any item I think about many Pros and Cons and decide overall best choice. I don't know about you but for me, rarity gets a huge plus points. I don't want something that most people have, I would either look for something similar that not many people have, or I pay more for unique items.

I just spent over two grand ordering JDM items from tsg and rakuten. Nice Miura iron and wedge plus Yururi wedges and DG and modus shafts.  I love 'em but truth is, they get bonus points because they can't easily be bought here.

I have a few year old Honma set that I got overseas. Now Honma is easily accessible in US, I haven't looked at them seriously...

Last week, I went to local roger dunn and they had new Honma wedge in stock. Stock shaft is NS Pro 950 or DG S200 and I just asked them if they do custom ordering. the guy wasn't sure but he said he will write all down and see if Honma will charge for shaft up-charge.

Yesterday I checked in and he said everything is on schedule and I will have my new wedge with custom lie/loft, modus 115 wedge shaft with +1/4" and midsize grip.. all at cheap price of $149+tax. I have yet to see any manufacture offer modus 115 wedge shaft. My rakuten order of Yururi wedge with modus 115, grip, and install + shipping cost me $195. I love my yururi, but Honma is a much better club. And I get 90 day worry-free return with local shop that I can't even fathom with rakuten.

I'm pretty sure I will shop again at rakuten for that 'rare, you-can't-find in US' club, but with price difference like this, I will have to think twice before jumping in.

/late-night random thought.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Christen_The_Sloop

Christen_The_Sloop

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 384674
GolfWRX Likes : 590

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:24 AM

I love me some classic JDM.

Nothing like looking at some of the older models that were rare at the time.

I've started putting together a nice little stable. Tops on that list:

Bridgestone Proisme, Taylormade X300-FCI and Dunlop DP30s The first two are extremely hard to come by and just amazing sticks and the DP's are prefection. The only reason the stones aren't in my bag right now is I haven't had a chance to put a nice shaft in'em.

And, I will say one more thing. Tourstage are some of the best irons going (I just put the 701CBs back in my bag) and they're just. too. nice.
D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
3W - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
5W - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
#3 Miura Giken CB 1006 DGX100
4-PW Tourstage MR23 CB DGX100
52 - Tourstage X-blade (raw) DGX100
58 - Miura Special Edition (raw) DGX100
60 - Ping Eye2 XG
Ping Anser 2 (stainless) / Maxfli Tad Moore TM2

Testing - Taylormade X-300 FCI, KM Miura 54*

Classic (JDM, Ben Hogan, Maxfli/Dunlop, Bridgestone) Junky

#3 95124hacker

95124hacker

Rare putter collection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356977
  • Handicap:13.5
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

I bought a bunch of JDM stuff also via motgolf.com, Rakuten and Yahoo Auctions Japan.
The problem is resale value. Not many willing to spend on unfamiliar clubs.

#4 Kingcat990

Kingcat990

European Tailored Golf Socks

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291815
GolfWRX Likes : 1821

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

I love the aspect as well, but not as much as I prefer their MB designs over the conventional USDM. Rakuten has taken a significant amount of my paycheck over the years and will continue to do so. I've been waiting 61 days for my irons to arrive due to limited quantities and the shop was willing to build to my specs. I'm sure when they arrive, they will be worth the wait.
Wyoming Cowboys

#5 Bigmean

Bigmean

Everything is Relative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344303
  • Handicap:JDM
GolfWRX Likes : 5082

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

For me, my love affiar of JDM boils down to a few things.

- They have plenty of offerings that are not overly tech crazy and what I think a golf iron should be, like a large offering since I buy used and as Christian said, older models make the offerings huge in this.
-Feel, while either a little or a lot different, you get 2 kinds of feels from japan, Either more like Miura, or more like endo.  NOt much that is clicky I have hit, but again I have hit limited.  My buchi wedges can be clicky but err like a miura feel.
-and of course as you said, bonus points for having different things.  JDM is my way of sticking a middle finger up at what the major US OEMs have presented recently, which is cheap and gimicky for the most part.

I like about 6 models of current US OEM offerings, none blow me away save for the wilson V4s, and titleist and cobra MB/CB are not bad.  I go on yahoo auction and see DOZENS of heads that totally appeal to me.

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
            Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
            Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

#6 ian-500

ian-500

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139631
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

I don't think Miura and Honma are considered JDM any more. Plenty more 'boutique' brands out there.
Driver: Mizuno MP650 9.5* + UST Mamiya Elements Prototype PT6F5.
FW: Mizuno MP650 15* + UST Mamiya Elements Prototype PT6F5.
HY: Mizuno MP650 19* & 22* + UST Mamiya Elements Earth 80x.
Irons: Grindworks DPi 5i-aw + Crazy CBi-02s.
Wedges: Callaway PM 58 + Crazy Black Wedge 110s.
Putter: Rife Barbados island series milled mallet.

#7 freehb

freehb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97712
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

The prices aren't that different anymore and the older jdm cbs on yaj are the best value in the world...hands down...
153 BootoBee 60sh
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
Ryoma 21  Basileus UT80s
P3 4-P Muziik Bangvoo
Epon 213 52/58 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

#8 tsupo

tsupo

Tour Winner

• 780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128992
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

I dunno what to make of HONMA, their clubs are fantastic, the quality of all my goods both new and way old are very  good  but  the marketing is confusing, they are, IMO trying to be the TM of the JDM world now, owned by Chinese interests but  AFAIK are all made in JAPAN to save another MIC OEM.

ive got  a few sets of their  blades and I  love them as much as my offpiste models. prob play them more truth be told.
their bags are super, and a cpl  of old putters I have  easily put the newer made big name  stuff to shame!

but I don't know what to think of the brand now.

so I eased off the newer stuff.

im still a I like a bit of "have u heard of these before ?  "  as well, same as my faves PRGR all MIC now so im over it  thanks.
if it aint MIJ sorry, ill pass
"im an equal oportunity hitting machine, all day every day".

#9 Hopnstopnputt

Hopnstopnputt

• 195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379558
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Funny, I was thinking about this not long ago while feeling like I was putting together a "JDM' bag.
Then realized that my Miura CB-57 (not MG1007) and Fourteen Anniversary wedges were not really made for Japanese market.

Maybe we should have another category called "JIM"  or "JAM" for International or americas market, lol. Might have a nice ring to it saying you had a JIM-JAM bag.

With my Miura CBs & wedges and Fourteens gone, I am a bit more true JDM alternating an Akira and S-Yard T.388 Driver, gaming OnOff Kuros or TourStage irons.
Now to decide on some Yururi or other true JDM wedge(s), hmmm.

Bottom line imho, it's all just about having some fun with it and enjoying heck out of what you're gaming.

#10 nicoplaysgolf

nicoplaysgolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465564
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Check out our shop, we have a great selection of JDM clubs especially XXIO which are coming up in the market!

SHOP - http://fairwaygolfusa.com | BLOG - http://fairwaygolf.com/
Store locations: Downtown San Diego & Kearny Mesa

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 marmaduk

marmaduk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144661
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

Saw a commercial for the XXIO clubs today. Caught me off guard for two reasons. I first thought those are JDM and this is golf channel. My second thought was "I can't believe it's pronounced ZEX-EE-OH" hahahah
JDM is too funny for words sometimes. lol Just like Miura writing "Ideal and Strong Trajectory" on their driver lol
WITB: Epon, Ryoma, Maruman, A-Grind, Yururi
http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're also 100% angry.

#12 Kingcat990

Kingcat990

European Tailored Golf Socks

• 2,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291815
GolfWRX Likes : 1821

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

View Postmarmaduk, on 05 May 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

My second thought was "I can't believe it's pronounced ZEX-EE-OH"

I literally stood up out of my recliner the other night and violently pointed at the TV and told my wife I have been wondering for YEARS how they pronounced that damn brand.

I can literally die in peace now.
Wyoming Cowboys

#13 Tzoid

Tzoid

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

I have played Mizuno Irons exclusively for around 15 years until I stumbled into the JDM forum and started reading :)  I tried Miura JDM Irons but quickly sold them to a buddy that loves them.  I then discovered OnOff Kuro Irons and am yet to him anything that comes close to feel and performance for me.  My Scratch wedges will eventually need to be replaced so I'm open for suggestions guys :)
Texan raised in Maryland
ONOFF Kuro 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120S
Ping G Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 60
Ping Anser 3 & 5 Wood  G25 Hybrid
Scratch 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges
Scotty Cameron & Crown 33" Newport 2

#14 ian-500

ian-500

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139631
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostTzoid, on 05 May 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

I have played Mizuno Irons exclusively for around 15 years until I stumbled into the JDM forum and started reading :)  I tried Miura JDM Irons but quickly sold them to a buddy that loves them.  I then discovered OnOff Kuro Irons and am yet to him anything that comes close to feel and performance for me.  My Scratch wedges will eventually need to be replaced so I'm open for suggestions guys :)

Royal Collection wedges are fantastic.
Driver: Mizuno MP650 9.5* + UST Mamiya Elements Prototype PT6F5.
FW: Mizuno MP650 15* + UST Mamiya Elements Prototype PT6F5.
HY: Mizuno MP650 19* & 22* + UST Mamiya Elements Earth 80x.
Irons: Grindworks DPi 5i-aw + Crazy CBi-02s.
Wedges: Callaway PM 58 + Crazy Black Wedge 110s.
Putter: Rife Barbados island series milled mallet.

#15 marmaduk

marmaduk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144661
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

View PostTzoid, on 05 May 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

I have YURURI wedges. Non-conforming. Peels the skin off a stone. ZEXY as hell too!

Here is my WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Edited by marmaduk, 06 May 2017 - 07:45 PM.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, Maruman, A-Grind, Yururi
http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're also 100% angry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors