Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 52 votes

9/3 Drill and much..much..more

slicefixer geoff jones

10889 replies to this topic

#7231 teeman2116

teeman2116

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42157
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

When gripping the club, why is it important to point the butt of the club at your left hip? If the butt end of the grip is viewed as a clock to help with lines drawn on a glove, then isn't it irrelevant where the club is pointing?

#7232 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postteeman2116, on 23 November 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

When gripping the club, why is it important to point the butt of the club at your left hip? If the butt end of the grip is viewed as a clock to help with lines drawn on a glove, then isn't it irrelevant where the club is pointing?
Not a requirement but makes gripping the club with your left hand easier .When gripping the club in this manner the left hand will be parallel to the target line and the lowest groove on the club will point straight up,which is a very good doublechek to make sure the the clubface is square

#7233 tofur99

tofur99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72700
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

don't quote me on this but I always assumed it was because if you point the butt of the club at the center of your body you have to rotate your left forearm more to get the proper grip, and also because impact is going to occur with the butt of the club closer to your left thigh, so you want the grip to be correct there.

#7234 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostLefthook, on 23 November 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

Thank you Russ!

I am not as consistent as you, but I like to think that I have my moments :)
"a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".-Ralph Waldo Emerson from "Self Reliance"
Hopefully my consistency is not foolish! :wave: :wave:

Edited by russc, 23 November 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#7235 teeman2116

teeman2116

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

View Postrussc, on 23 November 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

Not a requirement but makes gripping the club with your left hand easier .When gripping the club in this manner the left hand will be parallel to the target line and the lowest groove on the club will point straight up,which is a very good doublechek to make sure the the clubface is square

Ok thanks for clarifying. And as far as rotating the left forearm like tofur99 said, that shouldn't matter either as the "clock face" at the butt end of the grip doesn't change, so as long as your glove "guidelines" fit and the left hand folds properly, your grip at address should be fine regardless.

#7236 teeman2116

teeman2116

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

UNLESS having the club pointed at your left hip affects the way your left hand folds over the grip? That seems like a plausible reason. Although I still think one can achieve a proper grip by having the club pointed at the center of the body.

#7237 Tdangv

Tdangv

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158179
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostLefthook, on 23 November 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 23 November 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

View Postgreatestgame83, on 21 November 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

It took me almost two years to get the grip absolutely right. I could not believe how strong my left hand was when trying the Slicefixer method for gripping the club, and I felt like I would hook every shot off the planet.
You mean I can go back to my strong grip ?
For years and years I have been making sure my left hand wasn't too strong as my miss is a pull hook.
Sounds great !

Would the slicefixer crowd agree that most grips are OK with slicefixer ?  or not ?

Most grips are not OK ... with any method.

With slicefixer swing.... Tom Watson has said one thing that is very sound advice also for Slicefixers: Use the strongest grip you can use without hooking the ball. Or something like that anyway.

Grip in the fingers and right hand weaker than the left - and the left as strong as you can have it without hooking the ball... there you go.

The thing about stronger grip... The stronger grip you use, the harder you have to turn your pivot through impact and the more leverage you will have post impact. Cronical flippers who try to convert should aim for a super strong grip, just to realize the difference between past and future.

Lefthook/russc.... If you have a super strong left hand grip and a weak right hand grip at address, would your left wrist also be cupped at the top of swing as well as through impact? I'm working on the transition/downswing, and I'm confused if I'm suppose to work my left wrist flatter ala pronation through impact. Another way to ask this question is 'should the back of my left wrist point up in the sky (cupped) at impact or should the back of my left wrist flatten or bow and point towards target at impact? I understand it is pivot driven, but I'm trying to understand how the wrists are suppose to react to the pivot. It can go either 2 ways naturally.

#7238 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostTdangv, on 24 November 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

'should the back of my left wrist point up in the sky (cupped) at impact
I don't think that's possible if your hand are ahead of the ball at impact with the shaft leaning towards the target.

or should the back of my left wrist flatten or bow and point towards target at impact?
Back of left wrist should face the target at impact.

#7239 Tdangv

Tdangv

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158179
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

With a strong left hand grip and cupping at address, is the back of left wrist still SLIGHTLY cupped at impact? There's no way it can be completely flat/bowed with Geoff's type of grip, right?

#7240 coachg

coachg

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196910
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

View Postrussc, on 23 November 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Geoff is really anal about the grip and probably spends as much or more time in describing it to students as any pro in the world
The goal  in gripping the club is to make sure that the hands can work together as 1 unit and to allow the wrists to set naturally and not be restricted going back .He wants a golfer to grip the club in the fingers.Because we all are different anatomically ,the grip will vary somewhat among golfers,but the generic picture of the grip shown below is applicable in many cases. The number of knuckles shown will also vary.For many golfers gripping the club the way in that he suggests will result in a relatively strong  left hand grip.The way that the right hand fits over the left is very important and is one area that almost all golfers need to improve .it is also very important that the right trigger finger be slightly separated from the other fingers.He is not a fan of the interlock grip because the pressure is in the interlock nor is he a fan of the 10 finger grip because it does not encourage the hands to act as one unit.But there are successful Slicefixer students who use both.When I   observed him this summer for 3 weeks ,I saw him fit his grip to a number of students.I also had studied the material on the grip pretty closely.My grip, while very good , rated as 9.5,  still needed slight adjustments.The probability is VERY high,almost %100, that golfers trying  to learn this grip on their own ,without some help will get  something wrong.That said here is the generic picture of the left hand grip lines
http://www.google.co....9QEwAQ&dur=927

Russ:  I have a couple of medicus weighted clubs that have the pre-fomed grips on them....I am sure you have come across these grips that automatically put your hands on the club.
How do these grips match up with Geoff's positions.  It seemed to me that these grips were pretty spot on with what I have seen on this blog.  Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#7241 coachg

coachg

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196910

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

View Postrocker40, on 19 November 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

Love this golf swing...

Not a bad 9 to 3....well maybe  9 to 1....Don't get any better than this...

#7242 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

View Postcoachg, on 24 November 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

View Postrocker40, on 19 November 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

Love this golf swing...

Not a bad 9 to 3....well maybe  9 to 1....Don't get any better than this...
Notice Mr Hogan's wrist set at the top and at the end of transition.Increasing his wrist set   to the maximum as his upper body is   still slightly  going back and his lower body is moving  slightly laterally toward the target in transition  is the very definition of  gravity setting the clubhead and is Geoff's preferred idea to create leverage .In this 9-3 swing this movement is not large ,but is definitely discernable.It is not easy to learn ,but  is a sure fire way to eliminate casting or its less severe cousin ,leverage dumping.
I would also like to point out that this is not Mr Hogan at his best,even though he completeled his slam in 1953  .Mr Hogan often referred to his swing post /accident as that of a cripple and Geoff has often mentioned that it was the pre- accident Hogan from 46- Jan. 49 which showed him at his best

Edited by russc, 24 November 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#7243 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

View Postcoachg, on 24 November 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Postrussc, on 23 November 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Geoff is really anal about the grip and probably spends as much or more time in describing it to students as any pro in the world
The goal  in gripping the club is to make sure that the hands can work together as 1 unit and to allow the wrists to set naturally and not be restricted going back .He wants a golfer to grip the club in the fingers.Because we all are different anatomically ,the grip will vary somewhat among golfers,but the generic picture of the grip shown below is applicable in many cases. The number of knuckles shown will also vary.For many golfers gripping the club the way in that he suggests will result in a relatively strong  left hand grip.The way that the right hand fits over the left is very important and is one area that almost all golfers need to improve .it is also very important that the right trigger finger be slightly separated from the other fingers.He is not a fan of the interlock grip because the pressure is in the interlock nor is he a fan of the 10 finger grip because it does not encourage the hands to act as one unit.But there are successful Slicefixer students who use both.When I   observed him this summer for 3 weeks ,I saw him fit his grip to a number of students.I also had studied the material on the grip pretty closely.My grip, while very good , rated as 9.5,  still needed slight adjustments.The probability is VERY high,almost %100, that golfers trying  to learn this grip on their own ,without some help will get  something wrong.That said here is the generic picture of the left hand grip lines
http://www.google.co....9QEwAQ&dur=927

Russ:  I have a couple of medicus weighted clubs that have the pre-fomed grips on them....I am sure you have come across these grips that automatically put your hands on the club.
How do these grips match up with Geoff's positions.  It seemed to me that these grips were pretty spot on with what I have seen on this blog.  Thanks.
Can not comment on these grips without actually seeing how you place your hands on them.
Timinator has  some very good pictures of the grip on his golf blog.Of course Timinator's grip   was fitted to his specific  anatomy by Geoff ,so it will not be applicable to all golfers who are trying  to adopt the Slicefixer grip.

#7244 teeman2116

teeman2116

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

I know this has been discussed before, but the lack of clarity surrounding the grip is driving me crazy. The first picture is from page 32 of this thread, where Geoff himself drew in the lines and said the black lines are what he would like to see. The next picture is from Timanator's blog, I assume after having just seen Geoff. If the dots were drawn in Geoff's lines on the first picture, they would not match where the dots are on Timanator's picture. And I realize the same grip will not be prescribed for everyone, but these are completely different and as far as grip strength goes, in the post I got the picture from, Geoff said to make the grip stronger or weaker, just shift the grip in the fingers, but keep the "spirit" of the lines. These two grips are completely different.
Attached File  post-4964-1212448033-1.jpg   11.63K   3 downloads
[attachment=1430857:Capture.JPG]

Attached Files

Edited by teeman2116, 24 November 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#7245 buckeye88us

buckeye88us

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47187

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

I think the first pic is the right hand and the others are the left hand.

#7246 teeman2116

teeman2116

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm assuming you didn't read slicefixer's original post, it's supposed to be the left hand.

#7247 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Teeman, this is just my speculation, but I think Geoff bases the left hand grip off off of 2 things.

1. Where the V points when your hold on to the club
2. The cupping of the wrist when you have both hands on the club.
Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

#7248 teeman2116

teeman2116

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostTimanator, on 24 November 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Teeman, this is just my speculation, but I think Geoff bases the left hand grip off off of 2 things.

1. Where the V points when your hold on to the club
2. The cupping of the wrist when you have both hands on the club.

While I appreciate your reply and think your speculations are probably correct, I think it's a little ridiculous how everyone stresses the importance of the grip, yet there are so few guidelines for it. I have the utmost respect for Geoff, but there is no way he is the ONLY person in the world that can mold someone's grip perfectly on the club. I'm just trying to grip the club properly.

#7249 Lefthook

Lefthook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101445
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

Place the club so that it runs parallel to the lines in Geoff's post.

I don't know how Tieman's uses his dots. They can be wrong or right depending on how he uses them.

These lines are really about the angle between club and hand, and if you place the club too much "up your arm" (as per the dots you will not be able to create the 90+ degree angle with the wrist **** - not without moving the club in your left hand anyway. You need to locate the shaft relatively across the hand to be able to create that 90 degree angle between forearm and shaft in the back swing.

#7250 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

teeman, put a picture up of your grip, with both hands on and right hand off.

Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#7251 tofur99

tofur99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72700

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

lay your left hand out flat with your fingers together like your about to slap someone.  Hold club in right hand.

Put the bottom/left portion of the grip (if butt of club is a clock, around 6:30) down on the last joint of your left index finger, with the club face square or even slightly open.  Then put the butt end of the grip down on the inch of skin under your pinky finger.  Curl your fingers around the grip then fold the rest of your hand over the top of it, keeping that angle formed with the club and fingers.  It should feel very sturdy, with lots of pressure in your fingers, and that someone would have difficulty grabbing the club out of your hand.

That's basically it.  Fold right hand on to mold with the left as much as possible so they work together as a unit.

#7252 Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118737

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Played today, shot 88 with 4 birdies. That is my most in any round ever. Hit some monstrous drives, one of 296m. When my irons were good I was firing at pins. Hit a 6 iron to 6 feet on the signature par 3 hole which is a really tough hole (made the putt) but I also had I think 5 double bogeys today. The cause is almost always because I hit a fat shot or a horrible pull off of the tee. The pull is because I should be playing a stiff not a regular flex shaft and it only happened when I tried to go after it. But the fat shots were unpredictable. I think it occurs from being stuck. I really am struggling with them. I will get a video up tomorrow and see if we can find a fix. Thanks guys.

#7253 InaSilentWay

InaSilentWay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132952
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Question about the right hand grip. I assume one is supposed to weaken the right hand grip by rotating counterclockwise until the right hand completely covers the crease/gap that appears between the thumb and index finger of the left hand.That is what it appear to me in the pics posted of SF's grip. My natural tendency is to use a strong right hand grip whereby if I look down,  the palm is facing a bit up and I can't see any knuckles on the right hand. If I do as suggested above with the weak right hand grip, I see two knuckles of the right hand. All the focus is on the number of knuckles of the left hand, but I always wondered about the knuckl;es shown on the right hand.

#7254 andre112

andre112

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42458
  • Ebay ID:evilchu
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

I know one thing from Timanator's blog is that the V in the right hand is supposed to point to your chin at setup and the palm of your right hand should also face towards the target.

#7255 StevenF

StevenF

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126286
  • Ebay ID:sfilak
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostRanger Rick, on 25 November 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Played today, shot 88 with 4 birdies. That is my most in any round ever. Hit some monstrous drives, one of 296m. When my irons were good I was firing at pins. Hit a 6 iron to 6 feet on the signature par 3 hole which is a really tough hole (made the putt) but I also had I think 5 double bogeys today. The cause is almost always because I hit a fat shot or a horrible pull off of the tee. The pull is because I should be playing a stiff not a regular flex shaft and it only happened when I tried to go after it. But the fat shots were unpredictable. I think it occurs from being stuck. I really am struggling with them. I will get a video up tomorrow and see if we can find a fix. Thanks guys.

sounds just like one of my rounds!   I can't just have bogeys, either pars or double bogey's.  Such a frustrating game.

D: King Cobra 460SZ 9*
FW: Ping G15 4w
H: Ping G10 21*
I: Ping Eye 2's 4-PW
W: G15 U, Eye2 SW, Hogan Apex 60
P: old Ping Anser 2 w/ Superstroke 1.0

#7256 tylerdurden

tylerdurden

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132912
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

tiger 9 to 3ing:

#7257 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

#7258 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 420

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

^ Careful!  That's Geoff's personal grip, where the left hand is a bit weaker than what he prescribes as the starting point for new students.  Here's the video of the stock grip that he starts beginners and new students out with.  Grip strength will get adjusted further on down the road as needed for the individual student:

#7259 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

View Posthoganfan924, on 27 November 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

^ Careful!  That's Geoff's personal grip, where the left hand is a bit weaker than what he prescribes as the starting point for new students.

Yeah, I should've posted for reference to the right hand attachment for the question above. My bad.
Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

#7260 delgrosso11

delgrosso11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141649

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Posttylerdurden, on 27 November 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

tiger 9 to 3ing:

Very nice

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with slicefixer, geoff jones

6 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

ptrck2184, Google Mobile, craniac24

GolfWRX Sponsors