Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 52 votes

9/3 Drill and much..much..more

slicefixer geoff jones

• Please log in to reply
10858 replies to this topic

#31 Diesel

Diesel

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20859
  • Ebay ID:ckneasel
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

there still isn't one theory of swing mechanincs that is the only one that works...

so in the end noone is "right" and noone is "wrong"...

take it for what it's worth, i suppose...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Dariusz J.

Dariusz J.

BiokineticGolf

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44929
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:37 PM

Thank you very much for your time to answer my question, SF.

Your answer is, frankly speaking, what I expected it to be. It's no doubt that you are teaching a "the great ballstrikers pattern" that should be close to the best of them. I also agree that emulating Hogan in 100% serves to nothing, since all of us have our own golf DNA. I'll try to show you soon a swing that is, at least, close to Hogan's as your students (IMHO) - but the actual weather still doesn't permit to warm up and record it. It would not ne mine, don't worry :)

As regards "behind". I agree fully that the best description is that the elbow was neither "behind" nor "in front". I have incorporated the word "behind" because of the perspective of DTL view of the swing. Hips are already at least 30 degrees open at impact, thus if I say "behind" it is from the perspective of a right hip. The elbow is still sort of behind it because the whole model is in the phase of turning. I agrre that from a typical DTL perspective when looking directly via the target line the elbow "wandered" in front of the body - but so did the right hip ! The elbow is not at the right buttock as the word "behind" would suggest.
I do agree that Hogan was rather short guy and not bent 40* at address and the room for the elbow was much smaller than in case of a tall, slim guy with a 40* bent. But, IMHO, this is exactly what he wanted - the elbow should stay in line with the hip and not go forward - this is "in sync" movement since the arms are not moving faster than the body.
FYI, I had a long conversation on the JH Forum in which I was trying to convince people that a 40* spine angle bent at address is not necessary (as well as the concept of the 48" zone is not universal). It should vary in order not to let right arm go in front of the body. It's much easier to deliver and maintain the clubface square to the arc with it.

Your remark about full release and the compression is very interesting. I have no opinion yet, but I promise to think about it tomorrow.

Thanks again and good nite. It's a pleasure for me to be here on this Forum.

Cheers

#33 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 403

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

View Postfats, on Mar 2 2008, 06:22 PM, said:

Holy cow!!!!  That is the best video I've seen in a long time. You certainly know your stuff Slice. WoW!!!

He certainly does Fats!  Anyone who's a student of the game and the golf swing that isn't highly impressed by the Hogan swing comparison (and the rest of that video) really doesn't understand what they're looking at IMO.  I thought that vid. would silence some of the skeptics but I guess not.  lol  Slice and Shag put a lot of time into figuring out how to get it onto youtube and I for one am very grateful to them for the effort.  

I'll tell all you guys this.  I have spent time with some very highly acclaimed instructors (including GD top 50).  Every single one of them has told me things that I knew were "wrong," or at least "sub-optimal" except for one - Slicefixer.  I took the time to read every single one of his posts on this site over the last couple of months and there isn't one single technical point he has stated about the golf swing that I thought was "wrong"  NOT ONE.  He's the only guy I trust with my swing.

Edited by hoganfan924, 02 March 2008 - 06:57 PM.

#34 PurePursuit

PurePursuit

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38491
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

Diesel, almost all great ball strikers pass through similar angles, and there are definitely better ways to ensure that people do pass through those angles.  If you don't like the thread or the swing forum why are you reading the posts and going a step further but actually taking the time out to reply?

#35 PurePursuit

PurePursuit

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38491
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

Hoganfan I agree with you completely, and would like to THANK you for helping pass the message on because there is only one Geoff and he def doesn't have the time to answer all these damn questions lol.  This video will silence some, and anger others thats the nature of the game.  You are right though, anyone who is a fan of hogans swing is going to eat this stuff up and be asking for seconds :)

#36 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1001

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

View PostShagshow, on Mar 2 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

Hoganfan I agree with you completely, and would like to THANK you for helping pass the message on because there is only one Geoff and he def doesn't have the time to answer all these damn questions lol.  This video will silence some, and anger others thats the nature of the game.  You are right though, anyone who is a fan of hogans swing is going to eat this stuff up and be asking for seconds :)

A friend of mine just got back from two days with Geoff. As I understand it, he has one student after another all swinging as beautifully as the student in the video. All of them started with Geoff from a young age, and he was their only teacher. We are going to hear A LOT about Geoff in the coming years!

Kevin
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE
========================================

#37 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4964
  • Ebay ID:slicefixer
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

geez, you guys need to stop being so technical with the golf swing...

Diesal, the LAST thing I want to be is "technical".......but, a person MUST "understand" if they truly desire to ingrain THEIR best and most efficient golf swing......

and there isn't one "correct" theory on the whole thing... trying to emulate another players swing hardly ever works anyhow...

No there isn't........there is what is "correct" for each individual..........BUT, you STUDY the golf swings of the games greatest BALLSTRIKERS (Hogan, Snead, Venturi, Norman, Bolt, Trevino, Price, etc. etc. and you WILL "see" some common denominators.........they ARE there.........and I'd be a FOOL to not try and figure out a way to get em' into as many players as possible IF they wish to work a bit.......

i understand some of you make your living with this stuff, but my pro, never gives all this theoretical mumbo jumbo and all kinds of positions, blah, blah, blah... it's all about getting the club face into the ball and a release...

Sounds like an "old school" teacher and that's perfectly ok........

like i said, he taught me to do this 9-3 drill so i already knew what it was about... while the video was less than stellar, actually almost worthless without having someone talk you through it, it does teach you to compress the ball and getting the clubface sqaure at impact... and you can really hit the ball nearly as full as a full swing, just under so much more control...

I beg to differ, it's hardly worthless (and you obviously have an axe to grind for some reason IMOP) as it SHOWS what my version of "9 to 3"......as most are visual learners it should help quite a few golfers here......I'd have gladly added a voice over, but, I had about 10 people in my building at the time (including about 5 kids) so that was out of the question.......:)

Anyway, your certainly entitled to your opinion and I do respect it (probably understand it 100% too)........:([/quote]

Edited by slicefixer, 02 March 2008 - 07:01 PM.

#38 wedgeplay

wedgeplay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 965
  • Ebay ID:wedgeplay

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

Slice, In some of the clips it seems like there is more weight on the left side at set up and the through swing.  Could you elaborate on that please

#39 Diesel

Diesel

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

certainly no axe to grind with you, as you apparently have been succesful in your teachings... i would certainly be intrigued to get hands on teaching from yourself, but that will never happen, so i have to take in what i can via words, which is just a hard thing to do with something that is more of a feeling than anything technical...

just my opinion of course...

#40 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:30 PM

View PostDieselMp32, on Mar 2 2008, 08:08 PM, said:

certainly no axe to grind with you, as you apparently have been succesful in your teachings... i would certainly be intrigued to get hands on teaching from yourself, but that will never happen, so i have to take in what i can via words, which is just a hard thing to do with something that is more of a feeling than anything technical...

just my opinion of course...

....and I'd be more than happy to host you ANYtime you like.......and your dead on 100% correct about FEEL.......I say this ALL THE TIME, "to become a PLAYER you MUST turn technical thought into feel".......and I spend a LOT of time bending, glue'n, sawin' trying to create something to do just that.......I also am CONSTANTLY on the search for more images/thoughts to "paint" something technical into something that's EASY for most players to conceive/picture/FEEL.......IMOP, that's what truly great teachers do within their teaching, they FIND a way, find YOUR way, of FEELING a change......beit through a drill/image/strap/stick, etc.  That's EXACTLY what I do Diesel.........100% :)

Edited by slicefixer, 02 March 2008 - 07:30 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

View Postwedgeplay, on Mar 2 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

Slice, In some of the clips it seems like there is more weight on the left side at set up and the through swing.  Could you elaborate on that please

There is......than what most teach anyway........the LEFT pivot point is a point basically from your left heel vertically........IF you "Turn OVER your right side" as is most commonly found within high quality golf swings you'll have to "bump"/drive laterally to get to your left pivot point......always found THAT "move" to be hard to ingrain and VERY inconsistent and, as the golf swing is CIRCULAR in nature, a big lateral drive always seemed to make the swing more "elliptical" and less like a true "circle" (which led to the many "circles"/"arcs" within the golf swing becoming less consistent......as a result the center of the face is "harder to find") so I tried to figure out a way to ELIMINATE as much of it as is physically possible considering you have 2 LEGS.......found it......and that's MY "ideal golf swing".......

I want MOST players to "turn INTO their right side" which, if performed properly, ELIMINATES the need for a big "bump" in the transition to get to the left pivot point......the lateral TRANSITION to the left pivot point is contained within the core rotation, it's there, but NOT conscious...........it's EASY to see if you film good swingers from a camera mounted in the roof (which I have)......and that's what I teach MOST golfers......totally depends on the individual.......and that's what I consider "my ideal golf swing"......

I've said this for MANY years, "the average golfer has NO idea how much INTO their left side a good player/tour player/good swinger IS through the impact zone"....... :)

Edited by slicefixer, 02 March 2008 - 07:39 PM.

#42 xiaoxiong

xiaoxiong

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5857
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

View PostDieselMp32, on Mar 2 2008, 07:08 PM, said:

hmmmm, you talk about words is difficult to grasp, then previously you comment that the video is worthless. Did we see some contradiction?  :)

Not sure what you are here for, confused, confused.....  just vent some words without meaning ???

#43 Diesel

Diesel

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

it just didn't do anything "for me" , whereas it may help others that were not sure of what slice was trying to convey through words...

but i already understood what he was saying, as i had been taught the drill already... not a big deal... don't read into what i said, and think i was taking a jab at the teacher... worthless was probably just the wrong term for what i wanted to say...

#44 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

View PostKevCarter, on Mar 2 2008, 07:55 PM, said:

View PostShagshow, on Mar 2 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

A friend of mine just got back from two days with Geoff. As I understand it, he has one student after another all swinging as beautifully as the student in the video. All of them started with Geoff from a young age, and he was their only teacher. We are going to hear A LOT about Geoff in the coming years!

Kevin

Thank you Kev........I REALLY appreciate it!  

I have to admit, all of this "attention," while VERY much appreciated, is a bit overwhelming........I NEVER started posting on the net to try and prove a point.....or drum up business.....etc. etc. etc........I did it at the invitation of one of the owners of this forum and found it to be EXTREMELY "cathartic"......at the time I was REALLY struggling with the EXTREME anxiety of trying to teach 50+ hours per week while TRYING to "operate" my dream golf facility (that was failing financially) another 20 or so hours per week.......I found that answering golf swing questions did 2 things........

One, it REQUIRED me to REALLY "think" about an answer/statement about golf and the golf swing which is something I really don't have to do very often in my daily teaching.......meaning when a golfer is standing right in front of me it's normally OBVIOUS what they need to do to "improve their impact zone" so as to create more consistent impact.........but, when answering on the internet, most of the time without footage, I had to REALLY "think" in order to TRY and get the "answer" correct............I was also WELL aware that there were any number of "keyboard warrior's" just itchin' to get to typin' if a mistake were made.........and, most of all, I REALLY wanted to help other passionate golfers to improve as I KNOW full well what it feels like to struggle with one's golf game.......

Second, answering golf questions allowed ME to figure out what I ACTUALLY  "knew" vs. what I THOUGHT I knew and DID improve my day to day teaching......it also was the ONLY way I could get my mind OFF of how to pay 10k worth of bills with 5k in the bank.......:(  It was a "release"/"catharsis" for me so that I would NOT lose my friggin' mind worrying about things that were out of my control.......those of you that suffer from an inability to "turn off the switch" will KNOW what I mean 100%.......owning one's own business (really 2 counting teaching), especially in the golf biz nowadays, is VERY, VERY tough at times........fortunately things have worked out fine, but, for awhile there I wasn't so sure.......

Anyway, I hope folk's won't begin to think that I'm out to make this section "my" section as that IS the LAST thing I'd ever want to do.......I just enjoy posting and answering golf/golf swing questions in an effort to help other golfers.......that's it.......100%

Thank you so much to those that have expressed their appreciation regarding my contributions to help golfers with their games.......I DO really appreciate it.......and to those that disagree, I hope you understand that all I've ever tried to do is help other golfers and pass along information that I thought might help them........and do it in a respectful manner without getting personal which is hard to do sometimes when I see/read something I KNOW is simply not accurate.........and I do truly respect opposing points of view as that is how I've learned a LOT over the years......"listening" to others who didn't agree and their point of view.........

Edited by slicefixer, 03 March 2008 - 12:06 AM.

#45 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

View PostDieselMp32, on Mar 2 2008, 08:59 PM, said:

it just didn't do anything "for me" , whereas it may help others that were not sure of what slice was trying to convey through words...

but i already understood what he was saying, as i had been taught the drill already... not a big deal... don't read into what i said, and think i was taking a jab at the teacher... worthless was probably just the wrong term for what i wanted to say...

Actually Diesel, I teach the 9 to 3 quite differently than most.........in fact, almost 100% differently as I'm NOT wanting players to go from "L to L" like most teachers who use the drill are attempting to do........it's VERY different from the common 9 to 3 drill........but similar in that it's basically 'waist high to waist high"......... :)

Anyway, I DO respect your comments and DO think I understand your meaning behind them.......:(

Edited by slicefixer, 02 March 2008 - 08:26 PM.

#46 KOC

KOC

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41342
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

Slice Sir, thanks for the video and i think most of us enjoyed a great free meal...One question, i would like to know what is your thought regarding the width of stance, i saw quite a narrow stance in the 9-3 drill video. THX again.

#47 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

View PostKOC, on Mar 2 2008, 09:25 PM, said:

Slice Sir, thanks for the video and i think most of us enjoyed a great free meal...One question, i would like to know what is your thought regarding the width of stance, i saw quite a narrow stance in the 9-3 drill video. THX again.

Narrow, promotes ROTATION instead of "dancin' around" laterally.......:)

#48 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

View Postslicefixer, on Mar 2 2008, 02:07 AM, said:

LOL........."trouble".......big pain in the a** is what it was.......LOL........if not for Pete's help it would not be here.....I'd have given up......THANK YOU Pete!!!  (he spent over 6 hours of his time to get this done) :)  But, here it is......:(
Slice, when you're working with your students, can you name 2 or 3 of the more common faults in doing this drill, and what the result of the ball flight is when it's done incorrectly?  

IOW, it's easy as hell to think that one is doing this correctly, but unless you know what to look for, you really don't know.

#49 KOC

KOC

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41342

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:13 PM

View Postslicefixer, on Mar 2 2008, 08:26 PM, said:

Narrow, promotes ROTATION instead of "dancin' around" laterally....... :)

So...what is your advice of the width of stance for Driver shot...I feel like my shoulder width is too wide, so that can't promote proper ROTATION.

#50 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

View PostKOC, on Mar 2 2008, 10:13 PM, said:

View Postslicefixer, on Mar 2 2008, 08:26 PM, said:

Narrow, promotes ROTATION instead of "dancin' around" laterally....... :)

So...what is your advice of the width of stance for Driver shot...I feel like my shoulder width is too wide, so that can't promote proper ROTATION.

Ok, the best way for me to answer this one is this. "the stance must be wide enough to maintain balance, but, not so narrow as to RESTRICT rotation".......also, all of "my" (I'm uncomfortable with that term as they do the work and hit the shots, but, I have guided em') students can hit it almost 100% of their normal distance with a stance that's around 6" wide........Ya' gotta' find the right width of stance for YOU and that simply takes some experimentation........there is NOTHING wrong with experimenting with grip strength, ball position, stance width/shape (closed/open), etc.  You do it and you'll find YOUR correct "spots".....:(

Edited by slicefixer, 02 March 2008 - 09:33 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

View Postlarrybud, on Mar 2 2008, 09:27 PM, said:

View Postslicefixer, on Mar 2 2008, 02:07 AM, said:

LOL........."trouble".......big pain in the a** is what it was.......LOL........if not for Pete's help it would not be here.....I'd have given up......THANK YOU Pete!!!  (he spent over 6 hours of his time to get this done) :)  But, here it is......:(
Slice, when you're working with your students, can you name 2 or 3 of the more common faults in doing this drill, and what the result of the ball flight is when it's done incorrectly?  

IOW, it's easy as hell to think that one is doing this correctly, but unless you know what to look for, you really don't know.

Well, to be honest, IF the player SETS UP properly it's pretty hard to screw up........it's just a "turn and a turn".......back and through.....while maintaining your address "angles" and ALLOWING the clubhead to square up on it's on......

If I had to say one thing that gets fouled up the most is that people don't allow the arms to "swing" and the club to "set" to a 90 to the left arm by "9 O'clock".......too "stiff armed".......another is they aren't "winding up" or feeling any stretch in the torso/core, specifically the "left side"........you want to feel the left side being stretched (I call it "the rubber band".....Mr. Hogan described it as a "piece of elastic") and the arms reacting and the club "setting" and all of it working together to a "stretched and set" position at 9 O'clock........and, initially at least, the most important thing is SOLID contact with compression and the direction isn't that big of a deal........once SOLID contact is created on a consistent basis then, in the backswing, you can add some left forearm rotation to "shallow the shaft and open up the toe a bit more" and you can then, in the "downswing," "speed it up" a LOT.........another misconception is that you must "stop" at 3......nothing could be further from the truth.........if the PIVOT "carries the arms" to 2, 1, midnight, then great.......just makes sure its the pivot that is primarily responsible for the arms "getting to the finish" and NOT the arms themselves.......

Also, VERY important to KNOW that it's NOT the left arm POINTING to 9 O'clock (it's on about a 45 to the target line and the trunk due to the right arm folding) at 9, nor is the right arm pointing at 3 O'clock as it's really more "waist high and left"........it's 9 O'clock HIGH and then 3 O'clock HIGH (more or less waist high) in the finish........

:cheesy:

Edited by slicefixer, 02 March 2008 - 09:48 PM.

#52 gatorhead

gatorhead

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1260

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

View Posthoganfan924, on Mar 2 2008, 06:42 AM, said:

This is why it's important to fully set the right wrist at 9 o'clock and hold that wrist set deep into the throughswing.  The player at 4:50 into the video doing the 9 to 3 is the same one as in the Hogan comparison at the beginning.

I think this might be one of my problems...how should the right wrist be set?

#53 rteach1

rteach1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45072
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:40 PM

Slice,

I want to make sure that i understand you.  In post # 41, you mention  that you favor a rotary swing and that this type of swing eliminates the necessity for a big hip bump to the front foot. Does this mean that you do not generally advocate the "sit down" move as part of the downswing?  
In my case, I have been fighting a severe over-the-top downswing for 5 years.  I have found that the sit-down has helped to reduce the OTT problem.  I also find that a more rotary swing throws my right shoulder outside and helps lead to my hips spinning out.
Am I misunderstanding you?  In any case, I'm wondering how you deal with students who have OTT problems.  Thank you very much.

rteach1

#54 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

View Postgatorgolfer73, on Mar 2 2008, 11:35 PM, said:

View Posthoganfan924, on Mar 2 2008, 06:42 AM, said:

This is why it's important to fully set the right wrist at 9 o'clock and hold that wrist set deep into the throughswing.  The player at 4:50 into the video doing the 9 to 3 is the same one as in the Hogan comparison at the beginning.

I think this might be one of my problems...how should the right wrist be set?

Well, just let the left forearm rotate and the right arm will fold.......if ya' gripped it correctly the rest should take care of itself......I make a deal out of an aluminum door jam, velcro, and PVC insulation that's basically "Norman's Secret," but. a LOT better because you can set up normal and it's custom fit to your wrist and the amount of set you can create........works great.......takes 5 minutes and costs $3.....:)

#55 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

View Postrteach1, on Mar 2 2008, 11:40 PM, said:

Slice,

I want to make sure that i understand you.  In post # 41, you mention  that you favor a rotary swing and that this type of swing eliminates the necessity for a big hip bump to the front foot. Does this mean that you do not generally advocate the "sit down" move as part of the downswing?  
In my case, I have been fighting a severe over-the-top downswing for 5 years.  I have found that the sit-down has helped to reduce the OTT problem.  I also find that a more rotary swing throws my right shoulder outside and helps lead to my hips spinning out.
Am I misunderstanding you?  In any case, I'm wondering how you deal with students who have OTT problems.  Thank you very much.

rteach1

Sounds like your simply not TURNING/WINDING "deep" enough in the backswing and/or your not "stretching the rubber band" OR your arm and/or club are TOO STEEP at the top and you cannot just unwind or you'd pull it/snap it/wipe it......your arms/club could also be "running off at the top"/"out of synch"......but, if you SET UP properly and wind up properly the OTT is ALMOST eliminated 100%........you do those things and the OTT move is ALMOST impossible to make as the downswing becomes pretty much automatic......IF anything you'll end up with the GOOD player problem of attacking from too far inside.........

Edited by slicefixer, 03 March 2008 - 12:11 AM.

#56 sirvinim

sirvinim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3048

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

SF and Shagshow, thanks a lot for putting up the video.  You effort is greatly appreciated.

#57 provx

provx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22573

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

rteach1,

i have the same problem. i have been working hard on a rotary swing for a year and half now, and the more i work on it the worst the OTT move gets. i can go back to my normal swing and hit the ball fine, and longer.

however i know my natural swing isn't going to cut it in the long run, but i can't seem to get a rotary swing going to where i feel i can compress the ball. the only way to prevent the OTT move for me is to get into a very flat posistion at the top a la baddely and hit from there, but i can't muster up any power from this posistion.

#58 slicefixer

slicefixer

slicefixer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

View Postprovx, on Mar 3 2008, 12:33 AM, said:

rteach1,

i have the same problem. i have been working hard on a rotary swing for a year and half now, and the more i work on it the worst the OTT move gets. i can go back to my normal swing and hit the ball fine, and longer.

however i know my natural swing isn't going to cut it in the long run, but i can't seem to get a rotary swing going to where i feel i can compress the ball. the only way to prevent the OTT move for me is to get into a very flat posistion at the top a la baddely and hit from there, but i can't muster up any power from this posistion.

Then SOMETHING IS amiss.......more than likely the angles aren't correct at set up (which fouls up the pivot) OR the arms are out of position......LOTS of times what FEELS like an OTT move is actually a good move with the arms/club attacking from too STEEP or too far "behind".......and that sure sounds like it could be the case here......in both of your cases actually.......most probably does have something to do with the arms anyway......

Edited by slicefixer, 02 March 2008 - 11:51 PM.

#59 rteach1

rteach1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45072
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:40 AM

Slice,

Thank you for the clarification. Is a DVD in your plans?    
rteach1

#60 mizuno67

mizuno67

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46479

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:16 AM

View Postslicefixer, on Mar 3 2008, 06:48 AM, said:

Dariuz.......you observation IS correct and it's easy to explain why they are not as open, etc......the following should answer your questions, statements.... :) ..

"Second, I cannot agree that all SF's students look identically to Mr.Hogan. Some of them have their bodies just less open at impact that it is necessary to emulate what Hogan did. Mind you, there is a staight correlation between the body angle at impact and the amount of having both arms in front of the body. Mr. Hogan had a open body at impact and his right arm was not in front of his body"........

Mr. Hogan swung from a VERY upright posture, hence there wasn't the "room" for his right elbow to be in front of his right hip as with most......but, it was NOT behind him either.......IMOP, again, Hardy is WRONG......and I can easily PROVE it in about 5 minutes........

Secondly, Mr. Hogan played from a position that was substantially more laid off and the clubface was very open at the top than I KNOW is necessary (primary reason trying to COPY him won't work for MOST) to ingrain the "essence" of his swing and get the same results.......hence he could "open up" faster than "my" players (he HAD to or he'd have sliced it).......I don't teach folk's to open the face and lay it off as much as Mr. Hogan was within his swing as I figured out it was NOT necessary to "ingrain the essence" of his swing......you CAN develop a golf swing that contains the "essence" of his swing (rotational "speed" WITH "clubface control" = "control" of the golf ball AND distance/power) WITHOUT laying it off and opening it up nearly as much, if at all.....

Another thing, I'm NOT interested in trying to produce "Hogan clones"....."copies".......that NEVER works........"ya' paint the picture with YOUR talents/abilities LEARNING and INGRAINING the "common denominators" found in almost all great ballstrikers"........Mr. Hogan just happens to be the most famous and probably the best overall example.......

One other thing, the "base" 9 to 3" is learned with the face more perpendicular to the ARC/path so as to make it EASY to square the face and compress the ball.......once that is ingrained we learn to rotate the left forearm which "opens up the face and shallows the shaft" which allows for a "full 100% release" of the club (Physics REALLY takes over and releases the clubface around and left) through a lot more aggressive rotation through the ball which opens up the trunk more through impact..........it's a "one piece at a time process".......done in PHASES with PATIENCE/PASSION........the folk's that do it end up with very, very good golf swings that will contain the "common denominators" of great ballstrikers and the "essence of Mr. Hogan's golf swing...... :(

One OTHER thing, you show me anybody that CAN PLAY that's closer to Mr. Hogan than Matt and I want to see it......LOTS of TERRIBLE "imitations" on YouTube almost all made by "teachers" trying to stir up business.....and NOT a one of em' can really play and he CAN.......... :cheesy:

Well i think its a very close to hogan id say 95%   matt has less lateral motion but what i find interesting is i actually see matt being more open with his body halfway down and hogan catching up at impact   i certainly don't see matt being less open than hogan
In all a fantastic swing and technically close to perfect
Bwtf would i know

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with slicefixer, geoff jones

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors