Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 2 votes

Dynamic Gold vs Project X


123 replies to this topic

#1 texcrom

texcrom

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1800
  • Joined: 06/21/2005
  • Location:Franklin, TN
  • Ebay ID:texsuserid
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

Todays question....

Considering giving the Project X's a shot in a new set of irons (MP-57's).

Unfortunately, everyone I ask has a different opinion. I have been playing S-400's in my MP-32's, and X-100's in my MP-33's (mostly playing the 32's, the 33's will never leave me).

Mizuno's stock shaft in Project X for the 57's is a 5.5, which one would assume would be comparable to a stiff DG (S-300?). However, the weight is about 10 grams lighter.

The Project X 6.0 is considered stiff by some, X-stiff by others. However, the wieght is more in line with the DG's (125g vs 130g).

So, assuming I favor the S-400, what am I looking at in the Project X's? Do I go 5.5, 6.0, or even up to the 6.5.?

Just looking for opinions from anyone who has played both. The consistent positive comments on the PX's have become too much to ignore, so might as well give them a shot.

Thanks to any and all for your responses and opinions.

Taylor Made SLDR 430 TP 10.5
Taylor Made SLDR TS 14 degree
Taylor Made TP #2 UDI 18 degree stiff
Taylor Made TP MC 3-PW KBS Tour stiff
Taylor Made TP Wedges 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura X DB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DFW15

DFW15

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32645
  • Joined: 06/22/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

I had a similar question a few days ago and I was asking about the DG S300 VS. the PRPX5.5's. Most ppl said that the weight was lighter on the 5.5's and got the ball up a bit easier. I would have to assume that the same would be true for the s-400 vs the 6.0's or the 6.5's....most ppl say go for the weaker of the two so 6.0 might be the better way to go instead of the 6.5's. Go hit them if you can I have not had the chance yet but the DGolds are a bit harsh IMO.

#3 Gozz

Gozz

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7988
  • Joined: 11/21/2005
  • Location:SW Missouri
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

You will find a wide variety of opinions on this one as you well know.  I have played the S300, S400, X100, PX 5.5 and currently have the PX flighted 6.0.  I went from the S300 to the PX 5.5 and found the 5.5 to be flimsy.  I had a set of Mizuno Pro II's with S400 prior and I have found that the PX flighted 6.0 play to a similar flex as the S400.  As always it will depend on your swing and how you load the club, but like you I love the S400's and have found the PX 6.0 to be just as good.

#4 Golfer-X

Golfer-X

    Rookie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49754
  • Joined: 02/24/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

went to the PX 5.5's   6 yrs ago.  DG S300  was the staple shaft i had played until than.   >  PX 5.5's play stiffer then DG s-300's..
--- you may be bets with the 6.0's  just for the fact that s-4's   and x-100's  play pretty damn firm.   the lighter px 6.0  will have the firmness you like and not sacrifice control.    many get the 6.0's and yes-  too stiff fo rmany..  but if your coming form the shaft you mentin and like the S4's    i have no problem saying to get the 6.0's.     BUT by all means - go to the local store and demo one...

#5 jmaubert

jmaubert

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27808
  • Joined: 04/13/2007
  • Location:Washington DC
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Does anyone know if there is a difference in flex between the Project X and the Project X flighted ?


#6 Golfer Gavin

Golfer Gavin

    Tour Winner

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14101
  • Joined: 04/11/2006
  • Location:E-Town Alberta
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:34 PM

IMO:

S300 - 5.5
S400 - 6.0
X100 - 6.5

For me a 6.5 is not that stiff but I am a big guy. I played 6.0's and found them to whippy. Made a switch to 6.5's and am tossing darts.

#7 joey3108

joey3108

    Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

  • Charter Sponsors
  • 7,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM
DGX100 = 6.8FCM
PX5.5   = 6.0FCM
PX6.0   = 6.5FCM

I would have to say DGS400 more closer to PX5.5, but with +/-10gr differences, Playability will probably make the DGS400 feel a bit stiffer due to lost of swing speed.

In fair flex comparison, PX hits a little higher but with less spin compare to DG due to stiffer tip design, thus a lot of customers told me that PX feel harsher but fly longer ( higher flatter ball flight with slightly longer hang time than DG ), Most Pro still like DG due to higher spin for more agressive shot on attacking the pin.

Good Luck Tex! :)

Joe

#8 sidewinder

sidewinder

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20202
  • Joined: 10/03/2006
  • Location:San Jose, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Joe,

I am playing MX-25 irons with DGSL S300 shafts at +1". If I went to PX, what would you recommend? I hit my 7 iron 160 to 165 yards. What about the KB Tour shafts?

Will you be able to build Titleist AP2 irons?

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by sidewinder, 01 March 2008 - 10:55 PM.


#9 drpino

drpino

    Hall of Fame

  • Marshals
  • 8,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15339
  • Joined: 06/08/2006
  • Location:NY
  • Handicap:4.2

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

i would consider PX 6.0 softstepped once to be closest to S400.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd



: PING i25 9.5@10 + Fujikura Motore Speeder 757 S : PING Anser 3W 14.5@14 + Fujikura Motore Speeder VC8.2 S : PING i25 5W 18 + Fujikura Motore Speeder VC8.2 S :


: PING S55 3i-PW Red Dot + Z-Z65 Cushin : Titleist Vokey SM5 52.12F & 58.11K : Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 34"/350g + Nippon NS PRO XXIP-D2 & Pistolini :


#10 joey3108

joey3108

    Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

  • Charter Sponsors
  • 7,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:36 PM

View Postsidewinder, on Mar 1 2008, 07:55 PM, said:

Joe,

I am playing MX-25 irons with DGSL S300 shafts at +1". If I went to PX, what would you recommend? I hit my 7 iron 160 to 165 yards. What about the KB Tour shafts?

Will you be able to build Titleist AP2 irons?

Thanks,

Scott
I would say depending on how you load the shaft. You could end up softstep 5.5 or 5.5 straight in.

To be honest, I stlll don't have experience hitting KB on a real playing situation to really tell how the shaft react on my swing style. Maybe I'm gonna build one set of J36 COMBO with KB Tour shaft for my own if you guys like to hear my review on that combo.

I can always build any club customers wish...It's all come down to a question "what you really want me to do and how far you want me to go building your club? " and " Any budget I need to be aware of to serve your need?".


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 gochargers5

gochargers5

    Advanced

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40055
  • Joined: 09/27/2007
  • Location:Where?
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:40 PM

I have use PX 5.7 and S300. It is totally different. I hate PX..love DGS300. Perfect feeling, tempo, and smoothness....Even though you are going to fit PX like S400, it is totally different. DG is really CHEESY!!!!

#12 texcrom

texcrom

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1800
  • Joined: 06/21/2005
  • Location:Franklin, TN
  • Ebay ID:texsuserid
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:15 AM

View Postjoey3108, on Mar 1 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM
DGX100 = 6.8FCM
PX5.5   = 6.0FCM
PX6.0   = 6.5FCM

I would have to say DGS400 more closer to PX5.5, but with +/-10gr differences, Playability will probably make the DGS400 feel a bit stiffer due to lost of swing speed.

In fair flex comparison, PX hits a little higher but with less spin compare to DG due to stiffer tip design, thus a lot of customers told me that PX feel harsher but fly longer ( higher flatter ball flight with slightly longer hang time than DG ), Most Pro still like DG due to higher spin for more agressive shot on attacking the pin.

Good Luck Tex! :)

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

My thought was that the 6.0 might be a better fit as the weight is more similar to the S-400 and X-100 (I believe 132g and 130g).

Or will the weight issue be offset by the stiffness in the 6.0?

Just a thought....and a question I guess.
Taylor Made SLDR 430 TP 10.5
Taylor Made SLDR TS 14 degree
Taylor Made TP #2 UDI 18 degree stiff
Taylor Made TP MC 3-PW KBS Tour stiff
Taylor Made TP Wedges 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura X DB

#13 joey3108

joey3108

    Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

  • Charter Sponsors
  • 7,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

View Posttexcrom, on Mar 1 2008, 09:15 PM, said:

View Postjoey3108, on Mar 1 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM
DGX100 = 6.8FCM
PX5.5   = 6.0FCM
PX6.0   = 6.5FCM

I would have to say DGS400 more closer to PX5.5, but with +/-10gr differences, Playability will probably make the DGS400 feel a bit stiffer due to lost of swing speed.

In fair flex comparison, PX hits a little higher but with less spin compare to DG due to stiffer tip design, thus a lot of customers told me that PX feel harsher but fly longer ( higher flatter ball flight with slightly longer hang time than DG ), Most Pro still like DG due to higher spin for more agressive shot on attacking the pin.

Good Luck Tex! :)

Joe

Thanks, Joe.

My thought was that the 6.0 might be a better fit as the weight is more similar to the S-400 and X-100 (I believe 132g and 130g).

Or will the weight issue be offset by the stiffness in the 6.0?

Just a thought....and a question I guess.

Depends,
Some are more sensitive than others with weight. Me one! :(

Some need more time to get the hang of it and some are not.

#14 Kentsp1

Kentsp1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22117
  • Joined: 11/24/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

Joe,

I was curious how big of a jump 6.0's to 6.5s is? As well as is there any frequency difference between Flighted and regular PX? I currently game a set of 755s with regular 6.0s. I ordered a set of j36 Pockets and was contemplating 6.5s Flighted or 6.0s flighted hardstepped. I've never been clocked with a 6 iron, but my driver speed is around 115 mph. I hit my stock 6 iron 185-190. I have somewhat of a steep two-plane swing with what i would consider an average tempo. My ball flight is high, but pierces well. Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)

Edited by Kentsp1, 13 March 2008 - 10:57 PM.


#15 joey3108

joey3108

    Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

  • Charter Sponsors
  • 7,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:08 AM

View PostKentsp1, on Mar 13 2008, 08:51 PM, said:

Joe,

I was curious how big of a jump 6.0's to 6.5s is? As well as is there any frequency difference between Flighted and regular PX? I currently game a set of 755s with regular 6.0s. I ordered a set of j36 Pockets and was contemplating 6.5s Flighted or 6.0s flighted hardstepped. I've never been clocked with a 6 iron, but my driver speed is around 115 mph. I hit my stock 6 iron 185-190. I have somewhat of a steep two-plane swing with what i would consider an average tempo. My ball flight is high, but pierces well. Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)
I wish it would that simple to answer all your questions here. ;)

Just to answer what you might want to play:

Depending what high is for my fitter eyes base on lots of factors of course.

Just from your limited info, I would definitely go with normal PX6.0 at least. You might even can go with 6.5 if you have lots of load on your down swing + Better than average striker. If you need spin on your ball to attack the pin and at the same time you need lower trajectory, then DGX100 is the answer, or softstep once at least.

The jump from PX6.0 to 6.5 is noticeable for sure, especially PX has a stiff tip design which will make the feel a bit harsher at impact.

Joe


#16 shepherd

shepherd

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4757
  • Joined: 08/08/2005
  • Ebay ID:eyebrows_manila
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:16 AM

View Postjmaubert, on Mar 2 2008, 10:45 AM, said:

Does anyone know if there is a difference in flex between the Project X and the Project X flighted ?

I've been wondering the same thing. Anyone?

#17 Kentsp1

Kentsp1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22117
  • Joined: 11/24/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

View Postjoey3108, on Mar 14 2008, 12:08 AM, said:

View PostKentsp1, on Mar 13 2008, 08:51 PM, said:

Joe,

I was curious how big of a jump 6.0's to 6.5s is? As well as is there any frequency difference between Flighted and regular PX? I currently game a set of 755s with regular 6.0s. I ordered a set of j36 Pockets and was contemplating 6.5s Flighted or 6.0s flighted hardstepped. I've never been clocked with a 6 iron, but my driver speed is around 115 mph. I hit my stock 6 iron 185-190. I have somewhat of a steep two-plane swing with what i would consider an average tempo. My ball flight is high, but pierces well. Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)
I wish it would that simple to answer all your questions here. ;)

Just to answer what you might want to play:

Depending what high is for my fitter eyes base on lots of factors of course.

Just from your limited info, I would definitely go with normal PX6.0 at least. You might even can go with 6.5 if you have lots of load on your down swing + Better than average striker. If you need spin on your ball to attack the pin and at the same time you need lower trajectory, then DGX100 is the answer, or softstep once at least.

The jump from PX6.0 to 6.5 is noticeable for sure, especially PX has a stiff tip design which will make the feel a bit harsher at impact.

Joe

Thanks Joe!!

i really enjoy reading all your insight! Sorry for the limited info. I do not have a lot of load on the down swing i load it at the top. I have the tendency to get handsy sometimes and get the hooks, but for the most part i am a "swinger" of the club. I'm a +3 index and a pretty solid stiker, but get most of it done from 100 and in. Anyways, I think i'm going to stick with the 6.0s unless any of this jumps out at you as mad. Once again thank you for your time and all your help.

Kent

#18 jcosjrgolf

jcosjrgolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1042
  • Joined: 05/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

View PostKentsp1, on Mar 14 2008, 10:39 AM, said:

View Postjoey3108, on Mar 14 2008, 12:08 AM, said:

View PostKentsp1, on Mar 13 2008, 08:51 PM, said:

Joe,

I was curious how big of a jump 6.0's to 6.5s is? As well as is there any frequency difference between Flighted and regular PX? I currently game a set of 755s with regular 6.0s. I ordered a set of j36 Pockets and was contemplating 6.5s Flighted or 6.0s flighted hardstepped. I've never been clocked with a 6 iron, but my driver speed is around 115 mph. I hit my stock 6 iron 185-190. I have somewhat of a steep two-plane swing with what i would consider an average tempo. My ball flight is high, but pierces well. Any light you could shed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)
I wish it would that simple to answer all your questions here. ;)

Just to answer what you might want to play:

Depending what high is for my fitter eyes base on lots of factors of course.

Just from your limited info, I would definitely go with normal PX6.0 at least. You might even can go with 6.5 if you have lots of load on your down swing + Better than average striker. If you need spin on your ball to attack the pin and at the same time you need lower trajectory, then DGX100 is the answer, or softstep once at least.

The jump from PX6.0 to 6.5 is noticeable for sure, especially PX has a stiff tip design which will make the feel a bit harsher at impact.

Joe

Thanks Joe!!

i really enjoy reading all your insight! Sorry for the limited info. I do not have a lot of load on the down swing i load it at the top. I have the tendency to get handsy sometimes and get the hooks, but for the most part i am a "swinger" of the club. I'm a +3 index and a pretty solid stiker, but get most of it done from 100 and in. Anyways, I think i'm going to stick with the 6.0s unless any of this jumps out at you as mad. Once again thank you for your time and all your help.

Kent

At +3 index I hope you're a solid striker!!!!!

#19 hOOter

hOOter

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31749
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:united kingdom
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:38 AM

View Postshepherd, on Mar 14 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

View Postjmaubert, on Mar 2 2008, 10:45 AM, said:

Does anyone know if there is a difference in flex between the Project X and the Project X flighted ?

I've been wondering the same thing. Anyone?

Me too????
sldr 9.5 fuel 60 TS
rbz stage 2 oban devo 75 05
rbz stage 2 rescue 21
r9 'c' stamp 4-pw px 6.0
rac z groove 52 56 60
yes sandy 12 mid (cut to 33")

#20 akaone

akaone

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45453
  • Joined: 01/09/2008
  • Location:Lebanon, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

Joe,
Do you have any clue the FCM of a hard stepped 5.5?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#21 dlefty

dlefty

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2476
  • Joined: 07/13/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

Just to throw this out there and add to the confusion.........

Have a player that is a Dynamic Gold X100 guy, probably should be playing them straight in, but always soft steps them 1x to get just a little smoother feel.  

He tried Project X 6.5, DISLIKED them with a passion, claims they were the worst feeling shaft he ever touched.......soft stepped them, still DISLIKED them.

Went with Project X 6.0 straight in, better, but didn't care for them feel wise.....to stout and unresponsive.  Found dispersion BETTER than X100's though, so he liked that.

Soft stepped the Project X 6.0's 1x and now he is liking them.......tighter dispersion than X100, still not quite as good a feel, but now he can live with it.  And he is absolutely NOT overloading them in any way, shape, or form.

Just goes to show, Project X is a different animal all together........beware of who fits you!

X100 guys can get away with hard stepped 5.5's, and soft stepped 6.0's and have tighter dispersion too!
CALLAWAY Big Bertha V-Series driver
CALLAWAY Big Bertha Pro 3wood
CALLAWAY X2Hot hybrid
CALLAWAY Apex Pro irons
CALLAWAY MD2 / MD2 TG wedges
ODYSSEY putter

#22 joey3108

joey3108

    Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

  • Charter Sponsors
  • 7,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:57 PM

View Postdlefty, on Mar 15 2008, 08:00 AM, said:

Just to throw this out there and add to the confusion.........

Have a player that is a Dynamic Gold X100 guy, probably should be playing them straight in, but always soft steps them 1x to get just a little smoother feel.  

He tried Project X 6.5, DISLIKED them with a passion, claims they were the worst feeling shaft he ever touched.......soft stepped them, still DISLIKED them.

Went with Project X 6.0 straight in, better, but didn't care for them feel wise.....to stout and unresponsive.  Found dispersion BETTER than X100's though, so he liked that.

Soft stepped the Project X 6.0's 1x and now he is liking them.......tighter dispersion than X100, still not quite as good a feel, but now he can live with it.  And he is absolutely NOT overloading them in any way, shape, or form.

Just goes to show, Project X is a different animal all together........beware of who fits you!

X100 guys can get away with hard stepped 5.5's, and soft stepped 6.0's and have tighter dispersion too!


IMO most likely...He is a swinger , not a hitter!...Plus he is a feel player too, thus he doesn't load the shaft (especially on his down swing). Again PX stiff tip design will make the feel a bit harsher at impact. Under flex to play a PX for this player is almost a must. Common result for PX shaft.

akaone,
5.75-5.8

PX, PX flighted:

Flighted means progessive kick point which deliver a higher ball flight on longer iron. Flighted also play truer on flex specially on longer iron ( progressive due to kick point ).

#23 Hifade

Hifade

    My SMOKEHOUSE Killer B

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26
  • Joined: 04/07/2005
  • Location:Dayton, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

Great info Jo Jo, and since this is asked about every 3 weeks, we really should pin this for reference.
PING G30 9* - UST Elements Chrome 6F4T
CALLAWAY X2Hot - Excalibur Tour FW
ADAMS 20* Original Pnut - Excalibur Tour
CALLAWAY 3-W APEX - KBS Tour-V
CAMERON Newport Tour Midslant
CALLAWAY Slate MD2 54* / 58* - PX 5.5

#24 hOOter

hOOter

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31749
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:united kingdom
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

Thanks joe
sldr 9.5 fuel 60 TS
rbz stage 2 oban devo 75 05
rbz stage 2 rescue 21
r9 'c' stamp 4-pw px 6.0
rac z groove 52 56 60
yes sandy 12 mid (cut to 33")

#25 joey3108

joey3108

    Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx

  • Charter Sponsors
  • 7,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

If Somebody can volunteer to rewrite this to a shorter version with same info to answer all question and send it to me by email, I can post it on the sticky.

Anybody? ;)

THX!

joe ;)

Edit: I'll pin this for now ;)!


#26 akaone

akaone

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45453
  • Joined: 01/09/2008
  • Location:Lebanon, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM
DGX100 = 6.8FCM
PX5.5   = 6.0FCM
PX6.0   = 6.5FCM

Joe this is what you wrote above. So a hardstepped and then said a 5.5 hardstepped= about 5.8 FCM. So do i have this backwards and hardstepping softens a shaft?

#27 dlefty

dlefty

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2476
  • Joined: 07/13/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

View Postakaone, on Mar 15 2008, 03:28 PM, said:

Aproximately:

DGS300 = 5.8FCM
DGX100 = 6.8FCM
PX5.5   = 6.0FCM
PX6.0   = 6.5FCM

Joe this is what you wrote above. So a hardstepped and then said a 5.5 hardstepped= about 5.8 FCM. So do i have this backwards and hardstepping softens a shaft?


So......a 1x soft stepped X100 would be roughly 6.5, since Project X feels a little stouter / harsher, a 1x soft stepped 6.0 in Project X would be roughly 6.2........might be THE way to go for most people that like a X100 soft stepped to help feel wise when going Project X.

If you like a straight in X100 (6.8), PX 6.0 (6.5) straight in may be the best option.

Edited by dlefty, 15 March 2008 - 05:37 PM.

CALLAWAY Big Bertha V-Series driver
CALLAWAY Big Bertha Pro 3wood
CALLAWAY X2Hot hybrid
CALLAWAY Apex Pro irons
CALLAWAY MD2 / MD2 TG wedges
ODYSSEY putter

#28 rollen

rollen

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18043
  • Joined: 08/18/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

Quote

a 1x soft stepped 6.0 in Project X would be roughly 6.2.....

I think a 1x soft stepped 6.0 would have to be under 6.0.  Probably 5.7-5.8, and a hard stepped 6.0 would be more likely a 6.2


Joe,

How would swingweight affect the frequency?  What swingweight are these numbers based?

Edited by rollen, 25 March 2008 - 08:53 AM.


#29 dlefty

dlefty

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2476
  • Joined: 07/13/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

View Postrollen, on Mar 25 2008, 08:51 AM, said:

Quote

a 1x soft stepped 6.0 in Project X would be roughly 6.2.....

I think a 1x soft stepped 6.0 would have to be under 6.0.  Probably 5.7-5.8, and a hard stepped 6.0 would be more likely a 6.2


Joe,

How would swingweight affect the frequency?  What swingweight are these numbers based?

Your missing the whole concept here, Project X is NOT frequency matched, a 6.0 is not necessarily a 6.0.  If you read up on some of Joe's past postings, you're going to see that a Project X 5.5 is closer to 6.0FCM, a 6.0 is closer to 6.5FCM, etc.
CALLAWAY Big Bertha V-Series driver
CALLAWAY Big Bertha Pro 3wood
CALLAWAY X2Hot hybrid
CALLAWAY Apex Pro irons
CALLAWAY MD2 / MD2 TG wedges
ODYSSEY putter

#30 Hotlisted

Hotlisted

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1620
  • Joined: 06/14/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi I have had custom Satin PX 6.0 in the past in the original Cally X Tours and got rid as they were so stiff/no feel.

I have 3 sets of Satin PX Shafts all 6.0 now again and thanks to frequency measuring gear, which I use, I can now understand why people all have different opinions on these shafts, its due to the MASSIVE variation in flex - usually MUCH stiffer than comparable DG. I have managed to grade and select for a perfect set from my 3 sets now and use PX 6.0 for the same reasons you mention, ie shaft static weight being closer to DG. If you can find soft PX 6.0 go with them...you will not find a better shaft. They work even better with Prosoft Inserts to give them back some feel. Dont bother with the new PX flighted variant they have poor dispersion IMO.

So in summary, I would ask the source of the PX 6.0 shafts to ensure the 3i is frequencing at about 300-304 cpm when fitted with its head, in my case this was at +1/2 in over std. I would therefore buy from a Prof club fitter with plenty of in-hand stock, who would undertake this freq checking to ensure you dont have a costly mistake like I did.  Hope this helps.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.







0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors