Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

I am in love with my Directed Force putter!

169 replies to this topic

#61 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

We are the Old Dark Navy Blues

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44148
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:55 AM

66 feet birdie today. Longest putt I have made in many, many, many years. I was hoping just to get the ball close but BOMBED it as the lady golfer tending the flag got all excited as the ball dropped. Ball was rolling so nice on greens not that fast.

3 holes earlier, I burnt the edge of a 40 footer as well to miss a birdie on a Par 5.

I have no problem with speed with this putter. Feels nice and solid and the ball rolls really nice off the face even on long or super long putts. My MACHINE M2A is the closest in the roll department but this one aims better and more importantly, runs true to the aim point.

She may not pretty as a MACHINE, but DANG, shes rolls so good and precise :)

Amazing, amazing.

Edited by SwingBlues, 22 May 2017 - 01:58 AM.

Gamer: Callaway Epic SubZero, 9* Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS 6X, finished length 44.25" D3.5

Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scott 1 iron, 16* TT S300 stiff shaft
Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite stiff shaft
Ping 2012 Anser 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts, soft stepped once with ProSoft inserts, MCC+4 grips
Cleveland RTX 3.0 Cavity Back 50* wedge

Cleveland RTX 3.0 Cavity Back 52* wedge
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
Directed Force  Reno Putter

Srixon XV4 Yellow 2015 / XV5 Yellow 2017
Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Gamble Gamble

Gamble Gamble

Good Luck!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198076
GolfWRX Likes : 1768

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

SwingBlues, on 22 May 2017 - 01:55 AM, said:

66 feet birdie today. Longest putt I have made in many, many, many years. I was hoping just to get the ball close but BOMBED it as the lady golfer tending the flag got all excited as the ball dropped. Ball was rolling so nice on greens not that fast.

3 holes earlier, I burnt the edge of a 40 footer as well to miss a birdie on a Par 5.

I have no problem with speed with this putter. Feels nice and solid and the ball rolls really nice off the face even on long or super long putts. My MACHINE M2A is the closest in the roll department but this one aims better and more importantly, runs true to the aim point.

Amazing, amazing.

i did the same thing yesterday.  50+ ft birdie in a tourney... this thing only misses if you misread the putt or put a horrendous stroke on it.

Ping G400 9* Diamana Ahina 70X
Ping Rapture 13* Tour AD-MT 7S
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Tour AD-DI 6S
Ping G25 3H 20* Tour AD-UT 85S
Taylormade M1 5i-AW Modus 120S (hs)
Callaway MD2 54* Raw KBS Wedge
Titleist Vokey 60* L Grind KBS 610

Ping TR Cadence Ketsch Heavy
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#63 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Gamble Gamble, on 22 May 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

SwingBlues, on 22 May 2017 - 01:55 AM, said:

Amazing, amazing.

i did the same thing yesterday.  50+ ft birdie in a tourney... this thing only misses if you misread the putt or put a horrendous stroke on it.

Nice! Totally agree. Those short ones you still have to read, aim and execute but your chance improves using this putter.

Now...what you and I are seeing here with these longer putts....I think the wider arc for these longer distance putts really, really show how  well the lie balance concept works as versus a twisty face balance putter stroke.

For me, it really felt like the stoke was much smoother, like it was on rails. Subsequently the balls comes off the face with forward spin, no check whatsoever. I saw this the 1st time I putted from off the green, steep up slope about 38 feet putt at #8 Marshall Canyon, and missed the bird by an inch. I remember it well, as I had zero expectation of getting it close with a slope like that.

The more I play, the more I am convinced Bill has something here with this putter, assuming one can get past the looks and, truthfully, stark boring zero attention grabbing putter. There is no fancy graphics, 2 tones finish or even a shaft label. But it works.
Gamer: Callaway Epic SubZero, 9* Fujikura Limited Edition 17/150 "Masters" ATMOS 6X, finished length 44.25" D3.5

Ping 2012 Anser 4-PW KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts, soft stepped once with ProSoft inserts, MCC+4 grips

#64 zeke013

zeke013

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441524
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

The most amazing thing about this putter - I have yet to hit a putt and think, "WTF?!?"

Every putt with this putter - even the misses - I look at and think,  "That's on me."

(And yes, I appreciate that every putt is "on me" but I never felt as connected to a putter as this.)

Some missed putts with my Spider left me puzzled, like how the heck did that happen.

Never felt that way with this one.  When I miss, I know exactly why.

And that's great feedback for someone that struggles with putting.

#65 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 992

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

It's a great putter, for sure; all I hoped it would be and then some.

I think the real revelation in using the Directed Force is coming to realize how much you were manipulating the putter head on the thru stroke without even realizing it.  The feeling that you can just go ahead and release the putter and not worry about it is completely new, at least to me, and just a lot of fun.  Anything that lets you focus more on speed than on the stroke itself is a good thing, and this putter does that in a unique way.

#66 Gamble Gamble

Gamble Gamble

Good Luck!

• 2,230 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

bluedot, on 23 May 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

I think the real revelation in using the Directed Force is coming to realize how much you were manipulating the putter head on the thru stroke without even realizing it.  The feeling that you can just go ahead and release the putter and not worry about it is completely new, at least to me, and just a lot of fun.  Anything that lets you focus more on speed than on the stroke itself is a good thing, and this putter does that in a unique way.

You hit the nail on the head.  My misses mostly occur when i relapse and try to steer the release like i did with previous putters.

Taylormade TP5X Ball

#67 BigEx44

BigEx44

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:23 AM

bluedot, on 23 May 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

You guys are killing me!  :)   I've been waiting for a few weeks now for my DF putter (they're a bit back logged).  I've been told mine should ship this week.  I can't wait to try it out!

#68 shanempowell

shanempowell

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238791
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

I've had my DF for maybe a dozen rounds now. I can't overstate how much I agree with all the positive reviews and insights in this thread.  It took me 30 or so putts to get used to the press grip but I absolutely love it now.  Coming from a trusty two ball I was worried about alignment but that has been put to rest quickly.

I have a synthetic practice green with a 10 ft straight put and have increased my make percentage significantly.  I've made 37 out of 40 and usually am stringing 15+ makes together. That has helped my confidence when on the real green.  It's already paying for itself with 3 skins won which were all tricky putts.

Like others have said you still need to read the putt and hit it the correct pace but this putter is automatically on the line you choose.  Off center hits,when they rarely happen, seem to travel exactly the same distance as center strikes.  I've heard all the comments on the shape, when someone says it looks like a branding iron I simply reply "stay away once it heats up" and I think the best comment I've gotten is, that thing is a "stealth bomber" to which I reply "it drops bombs but you'll see it coming".

This is simply the best improvement in technology I've experienced in my 15 years of golf.  Customer service was top notch as my online fitting was promptly completed and Bill personally called to to handle a small issue which was handled professionally and promptly.  

#69 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Linus!

• 11,400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 7401

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Uh-oh.

Been going on about how my DF gets me set up square. Discovered at Monte's clinic my feet, knees, hips, putter are square to my line but I was letting my shoulders get open.  Oops. Good news is that is my issue, not DF.

A little practice and went out and played 9 tonight and although I'm still adjusting to the different look/address by trying to square up the shoulders, still managed to put a great roll on a couple of really nice and testing putts. Whoooo!

So I guess this means the better putting I've been experiencing will get even better. I'll take that.

#70 CBJ

CBJ

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92543
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

I have had mine for 1.5 years and the novelty has worn off.

I wonder if there is any real data proving this putter will help you make more putts?

At first I did, but after 1.5 years use, my scores aren't noticeably better and over that time period my putting stats haven't noticeably improved.

I do like the putter, but I'm doubting the technology as a game changer.

Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Project X Hzrdus Yellow
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 Iron w/ Project x Hzrdus Black
Taylormade P790 3-PW w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95
Taylormade Milled Grind 50, 54, 58 degree
Evnroll ER2
Wilson Duo Urethane balls

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 zeke013

zeke013

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441524
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

CBJ, on 26 May 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

I wonder if there is any real data proving this putter will help you make more putts?

At first I did, but after 1.5 years use, my scores aren't noticeably better and over that time period my putting stats haven't noticeably improved.

Define "noticeably" - in my mind, putters are about confidence.  Can I put away fear and concentrate on my line and speed?  If the putter does that, I am happy with it.  

In terms of scoring, it's not going to drop 10 strokes a round.  If you were sending 36 putts a round prior, you may only pick up 2-3-4 - but perhaps your first putts are closer and you are eliminating 2-3 3-putts a round.

If you were shooting 88 before, and you're near 86 now, I'd say that's a win.

#72 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:44 PM

simple, pull out your backup putter & put the  df away. See if you notice or score different.

In all seriousness, putting needs a lot of work & attention. The bow & arrow can only do so much, the Indian still needs to aim, pull back & fire. Even then, nothing is guaranteed, just ask Jason Day.

#73 Obee

Obee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72306
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:davidraymondober
GolfWRX Likes : 2774

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:50 AM

SwingBlues, on 26 May 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

simple, pull out your backup putter & put the  df away. See if you notice or score different.

In all seriousness, putting needs a lot of work & attention. The bow & arrow can only do so much, the Indian still needs to aim, pull back & fire. Even then, nothing is guaranteed, just ask Jason Day.

Truer words have never been spoken....

#74 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 817

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hawkeye77, on 25 May 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

Uh-oh.

Been going on about how my DF gets me set up square. Discovered at Monte's clinic my feet, knees, hips, putter are square to my line but I was letting my shoulders get open.  Oops. Good news is that is my issue, not DF.

A little practice and went out and played 9 tonight and although I'm still adjusting to the different look/address by trying to square up the shoulders, still managed to put a great roll on a couple of really nice and testing putts. Whoooo!

So I guess this means the better putting I've been experiencing will get even better. I'll take that.

Well, my opinion, and that's all it is based on my experience, is getting the fundamentals right that fit you. Some people can line up pigeon toed, open feet and shoulders and putt lights out - who knows why - I tend to think they've found compensations that fit them.

Like you, I like to eliminate compensations - setting up with feet hips, shoulders, etc square and lined up to the ball so the putter head falls right behind the ball without moving my hands to fit it. Once that becomes second nature, then you move on to the next step, what grip (saw, left hand low, conventional, etc), then the stroke, then tempo, etc.

Good luck on the journey. I'm giving serious thought to the DF when I make a trip to SF/Bay Area for a fitting in Alameda.
"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

In the Bag: Ping G400/TPT Series 17 LKP  ● Callaway Steelhead XR 3,5,7 ● Callaway Big Bertha OS 22/Bassara 50 ● PXG 0311 XF 5-6i, PXG 0311/Mitsubishi OT 75 7-GW,  Miura K Grind 55, 59 Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 ● Directed Force Reno or Edel E-1 ● Callaway CS, Snell MTB
Most Clubs built by Frank VIola @ www.aceofclubstp.com

#75 LoveSick666

LoveSick666

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99016
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

Just hit us up when you're in the Bay Area Swingman! We'll take great care of you!

#76 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122692
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:31 AM

Obee, on 24 March 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

24 putts today. 11 on the front and 13 on the back. Even par round of 72 at my home course: 73.8/141.

I've never had a putter that felt as connected to me as this one. The relationship between my backswing and the distance I hit the ball is uncanny. And short putts are absolutely automatic.

It is the first and only putter I have ever had where I feel like I have to do absolutely zero manipulation with my stroke, my ball position, my stance, anything. The putter simply wants to swing straight back and straight through.

Obee, did you get fitted for it? Or is it a matter of just picking a length and lie angle?

#77 Obee

Obee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72306
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:davidraymondober
GolfWRX Likes : 2774

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

I got fitted, but it really is just length and lie angle. But they want to try to get the putter evenly soled on the ground.

So if, for instance, you are used to a slightly flat putter, but the toe is in the air, they would not want you to keep that position when putting with the DF.

#78 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:42 AM

Obee, on 29 May 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

I got fitted, but it really is just length and lie angle. But they want to try to get the putter evenly soled on the ground.

So if, for instance, you are used to a slightly flat putter, but the toe is in the air, they would not want you to keep that position when putting with the DF.

Thanks Obee. I know my specs for my existing putter, 34" and 72 degrees lie angle. However, I have a feeling that I'd be better with a 35"...whenever I try one at a golf store, it always feels more natural length for me. Did someone say that the chap at DF speaks to you and confirms spec?

#79 Gamble Gamble

Gamble Gamble

Good Luck!

• 2,230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

PJ72, on 30 May 2017 - 03:42 AM, said:

Obee, on 29 May 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Thanks Obee. I know my specs for my existing putter, 34" and 72 degrees lie angle. However, I have a feeling that I'd be better with a 35"...whenever I try one at a golf store, it always feels more natural length for me. Did someone say that the chap at DF speaks to you and confirms spec?

Yes, they respond via email and it seems like Bill P or his associates would talk you through everything to make sure you are comfortable with the results and explain how they did their measurements.

Edited by Gamble Gamble, 30 May 2017 - 07:09 AM.

Taylormade TP5X Ball

#80 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 992

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

You might want to take a look at this video from the SAM Lab.

https://www.youtube....h?v=31N1awxzFMc

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

View Postbluedot, on 30 May 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

View PostCBJ, on 26 May 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

The student looks like he needs to relieve himself quickly.

In the Bag: Ping G400/TPT Series 17 LKP  ● Callaway Steelhead XR 3,5,7 ● Callaway Big Bertha OS 22/Bassara 50 ● PXG 0311 XF 5-6i, PXG 0311/Mitsubishi OT 75 7-GW,  Miura K Grind 55, 59 Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 ● Directed Force Reno or Edel E-1 ● Callaway CS, Snell MTB

#82 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

View Postbluedot, on 30 May 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

View PostCBJ, on 26 May 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Yes, I saw that video. I think they said his face rotation degrees per second went from 25-30/sec to 20/sec with the DF putter. That's quite a significant change - potentially 1 or 2 degrees difference in face angle - that's the difference in sinking a 6 footer (I think) and missing it, just from the physics of the putter itself.

Anyone here think they are sinking a regular number of putts more?

#83 Barfolomew

Barfolomew

#worstWRXer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379468
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Got a SeeMore Giant here...its face balanced.

Isnt there a misnomer here about the level of torque need to keep my putter square vs lie balanced(DF) vs toe hang putters

Isn't just a normal light grip WAY more than enough torque to make face balanced swing and feel square just like a lie balanced?  While toe hang putters are a different beast.....
M2
M2 HL
XR 4 Hybrid
Kuros
Cleveland Lobs
SeeMore Butts

#84 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

View PostBarfolomew, on 30 May 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Got a SeeMore Giant here...its face balanced.

Isnt there a misnomer here about the level of torque need to keep my putter square vs lie balanced(DF) vs toe hang putters

Isn't just a normal light grip WAY more than enough torque to make face balanced swing and feel square just like a lie balanced?  While toe hang putters are a different beast.....

Lie balanced and face balanced are not the same.

Light grip? Depends. Also depends on what is moving in your swing. Some people tighten the left hand (for a righty) on the through stroke so you don't have torque.

Lie balanced has to do with the toe and heel neither up or down at address or during the stroke (I believe), but perfectly balanced, which apparently has other positive effects. I'm a newbie on DF puttters - interested in getting one.

Edited by SwingMan, 30 May 2017 - 09:13 PM.

#85 Gamble Gamble

Gamble Gamble

Good Luck!

• 2,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

full disclosure:  i had two bad horrendous putting rounds and am going to try my ping ketsch again.  I am having a difficult time getting my aim down...

I would like to see a more "ketsch" looking mallet with this technology and have a normal grip instead of the press grip.

Edited by Gamble Gamble, 07 June 2017 - 03:16 PM.

Taylormade TP5X Ball

#86 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

View PostObee, on 24 March 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

24 putts today. 11 on the front and 13 on the back. Even par round of 72 at my home course: 73.8/141.

I've never had a putter that felt as connected to me as this one. The relationship between my backswing and the distance I hit the ball is uncanny. And short putts are absolutely automatic.

It is the first and only putter I have ever had where I feel like I have to do absolutely zero manipulation with my stroke, my ball position, my stance, anything. The putter simply wants to swing straight back and straight through.
Are you still enjoying the putter, Obee?

Do you or anyone know what the loft on these is and how much the press grip takes off?

#87 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostPJ72, on 08 June 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

Do you or anyone know what the loft on these is and how much the press grip takes off?

When someone mentioned loft was high, I thought it odd. I remember 2.5-3 degrees, but I can't find the specs now.

I would like to demo a DF, but I like a bit of weight in the head and may want to add weight and custom sight lines, so I want a store fitting.

through the grip’s elliptical shape off-axis by 3 degrees, not through the center of the grip as found on most putters. This unique shaft alignment creates the forward lean players are looking for to hit up through impact without increasing the loft of the putter. With every stroke, the ball rolls top over more easily and the player is rewarded with a consistent feel.

Edited by SwingMan, 08 June 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#88 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostGamble Gamble, on 07 June 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

full disclosure:  i had two bad horrendous putting rounds and am going to try my ping ketsch again.  I am having a difficult time getting my aim down...

I would like to see a more "ketsch" looking mallet with this technology and have a normal grip instead of the press grip.

Actually I was thinking a smaller head size would work for me as well. But hey, I would switch too or mix things up a bit if it ain't aiming right (as a side note check your eye position, and do the "use the ball line and aim stick to middle of hole and check your eye position at setup till you see the ball+stick looks like its going to middle of hole, and not pointing left or right" test).

As well, ball position is everything is you are left eye dominant (for me). It doesn't matter what putter you have in your hand, if your eyeballs are not in the right, confirmed position and your ball position is off at setup,it will go all over the place. Don't care if you putting 6 ft or 66 ft.

So in hindsight, the only advantage the DF is going to give you (assuming all the aim is right) is its natural tendency to keep the face square to the target line and not micro twist into a pull or push...but that all has to do with everything else we do in the putting stroke to be "right" & executed properly as well. My 2c

Edited by SwingBlues, 08 June 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#89 Terry Gold

Terry Gold

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293923
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:29 PM

View PostGamble Gamble, on 08 May 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

View PostTerry Gold, on 27 April 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

I realized this year that I see the lines and putt best with a ball position very far forward, (righty, ball almost middle of left foot).   Slightly unorthodox but I was getting very good results and finally felt I could trust my alignment while over the ball.

The obvious problem was the amount of loft that was being added to the putter (older Golo 5, mallet style) by that having it that far forward in my stance.  It was almost 7 degrees!  The degree of audible skidding on long putts was unnerving.

I had no desire to change putters and honestly don't find the DF putters pleasing to the eye.  So, what I did was put one of their press grips on my Golo instead of risking bending/breaking.   The grip took the loft down by 3 or so degrees and reduced initial skidding significantly.
Have not taken it to the course yet but the thinking behind it seems sound and I don't mind how the smaller version of that press grip sits in my hands.

Would love to hear if anyone else has experimented with something like this, comments, etc.
Thanks.
TG
I use a similar positioning for the ball in my putting stance.  The press grip helps with that but even before i had it, i was not adding loft since i forward pressed already with my superstroke.  This grip made the press feel "cleaner" but you have to really let the putter fall into the right trigger finger to get a smooth release.  

Two people at my club have been doing the "i should buy it dance" after demoing mine.  It is a game changer and once you get use to the slightly softer face, which is great on faster greens like ours, it makes putting much easier.

Now if only they could create a product that would keep me from yanking the handle in transition...

Have since gone back to my Iomic (midsize) putter grip and reverted back to a more traditional ball position.  The DF grip itself on my Golo wasn't bothersome or difficult to adjust to.  It simply wasn't enough to prevent my ball from skidding when playing it that far forward in my stance.  
If anyone needs a DF forward press grip, like new, lemme know.

#90 PJ72

PJ72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostSwingMan, on 08 June 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

View PostPJ72, on 08 June 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

When someone mentioned loft was high, I thought it odd. I remember 2.5-3 degrees, but I can't find the specs now.

I would like to demo a DF, but I like a bit of weight in the head and may want to add weight and custom sight lines, so I want a store fitting.

through the grip’s elliptical shape off-axis by 3 degrees, not through the center of the grip as found on most putters. This unique shaft alignment creates the forward lean players are looking for to hit up through impact without increasing the loft of the putter. With every stroke, the ball rolls top over more easily and the player is rewarded with a consistent feel.
Thanks.

I found out that the face loft is 2 degrees. I was a bit confused about the other info i got, saying the face to shaft was 3.5 degrees but the shaft is leaned 1.5 degrees forward with the press grip. That would make the loft with the press grip 0.5 degrees. Not sure if that is correct.

EDIT:- I think I understand it now. The standard face loft with the press grip is 2 degrees. Without the press grip (i.e. a normal grip), the face loft is 3.5 degrees.

Edited by PJ72, 11 June 2017 - 03:02 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

hoganboy

GolfWRX Sponsors