Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Removing the Shaft off PING putters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dank1204

dank1204

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49963
  • Ebay ID:dank1204
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

Hey guys,
I know that Ping putters have a pain in the a** connection between putterheads and shaft, but what is the process that is done at a place like a golf clubmaking station when they do remove the shaft?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 drpino

drpino

Hall of Fame

• Marshals
  • 7,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15339
  • Handicap:3.8

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

if your ping putter uses the ball bearing method, i highly suggest sending it back to ping to be reshafted (which is what they officially recommend).  i watched the actual assembly and wouldn't suggest an aftermarket reshaft....probably ruin the hosel trying to get the shaft out.

edit:  reread your post and you seem to be asking how Ping themselves do it.  unfortunately they wouldn't disclose or show this to us so can't really give you a good answer  :partytime2: :)

Edited by drpino, 28 February 2008 - 12:46 AM.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

: PING S55 + Z-Z65 Cushin : [the only clubs safe in the bag this season]

#3 bigstunnerdude

bigstunnerdude

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36005
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:41 AM

On the ball bearing method they just apply heat to the shaft to cause it to expand and then pull head out. Sometimes if that fails they'll cut the shaft off just above the ball bearing then insert a punch into the shaft and using a hammer, they'll break the ball bearing and pop the head loose.

#4 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1508

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:17 AM

Why do they continue to secure shafts with ball bearings?  It makes no sense other than to have thousands of wrecked putters throughout the world where people have tried to remove it themselves (and I have a wrecked Ally in my collection for proof).

#5 GenErr

GenErr

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 237
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

Someone gave me an old ping dalehead that had a broken shaft (about 4" of shaft left on it).  I was told to freeze the putterhead and shaft, then apply heat to the bottom of the club, directly below the shaft.  After a minute or two the shaft could be pulled out.

I don't have a heat gun, or torch, so I haven't tried it yet.

#6 Mud

Mud

The plural of anecdote is not data

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10174
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:56 PM

Are the new Karsten series putters attached with this ball bearing?

#7 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1508

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

View PostMud, on Feb 29 2008, 05:56 PM, said:

Are the new Karsten series putters attached with this ball bearing?

Yes, for the shaft in hosel putters.  Same with with the Redwoods.   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors