Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

US Kids Local Tour and Status

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: US Kids Locals and Status (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Once you earn Platinum or Burgundy Status as an 11 or 12 year old do you continue playing local US Kids tours or do you move on?

1. Move On to two day tournaments to work on rankings against better competition. (5 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Keep Playing on the Local US Kids and win as much as you can. (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Been pondering this question a while and have talked to other parents about this.  

Once you receive Platinum or Burgundy status through US Kids as an 11 or 12 year old, is there really any reason to continue playing in US Kids local tours?

This doesn't happen in my sons division, but it does happen in other divisions and I honestly don't get it.  Why do you play a local when you know your going to win by 5 strokes every tournament?  In my opinion, it does the kid a disservice.  There is no reasoning behind it when there is better competition, from longer distances, playing in 2 day tournaments during the same weekends.  Not only doing their own kid a disservice, but there are other kids, really good players being denied the same status from the local tour to play in Regional or World Tournaments.  Players that compete on the higher level, may not win, but can compete on the next level of Regional and Worlds but never have the opportunity.  These kids in many situations just have hit that growth or physical development level to be long enough to consistently score, but are very good players throwing up rounds under 75.  I couldn't wait to stop playing in the US Local Tours because of the undue stress my kid puts on my while caddying.  

Please vote and comment because I am interested in all answers.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 16 March 2017 - 11:29 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

heavy_hitter, on 16 March 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

Been pondering this question a while and have talked to other parents about this.  

Once you receive Platinum or Burgundy status through US Kids as an 11 or 12 year old, is there really any reason to continue playing in US Kids local tours?

This doesn't happen in my sons division, but it does happen in other divisions and I honestly don't get it.  Why do you play a local when you know your going to win by 5 strokes every tournament?  In my opinion, it does the kid a disservice.  There is no reasoning behind it when there is better competition, from longer distances, playing in 2 day tournaments during the same weekends.  Not only doing their own kid a disservice, but there are other kids, really good players being denied the same status from the local tour to play in Regional or World Tournaments.  Players that compete on the higher level, may not win, but can compete on the next level of Regional and Worlds but never have the opportunity.  These kids in many situations just have hit that growth or physical development level to be long enough to consistently score, but are very good players throwing up rounds under 75.  I couldn't wait to stop playing in the US Local Tours because of the undue stress my kid puts on my while caddying.  

My son is nine and we are only playing the two locals within a few minutes of the house and the next State tournament.  Coach has said he wants him playing SCPGA (self caddied) events and FCG (mostly self caddied) events.

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

leezer99, on 16 March 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

heavy_hitter, on 16 March 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

My son is nine and we are only playing the two locals within a few minutes of the house and the next State tournament.  Coach has said he wants him playing SCPGA (self caddied) events and FCG (mostly self caddied) events.

100% Agree.  My sons coach wanted him out of US Kids locals ASAP.  They serve a purpose for beginning golfers and that is it.  Get your status and move on.

I really wish the person that voted to stay in US kids locals would have commented.  Would have liked to have known the reason.

#4 GCS

GCS

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7186
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:02 AM

My son is 9 and hasn't played a U.S. Kids event since last summer. We started focusing on other tournaments that play longer yardages or 18 holes.I believe it really benefits their game having to play without caddies. He does miss seeing some of his buddies but the couple that we are close to we still see and spend time with outside of USKG.

#5 _Txri21

_Txri21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450662
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

The US kids golf World Championship is a really good experience, but if you aren't going to play in it, then pass on the tournaments, if there is truly no competition. Unless-

I know this girl who moved up an age division in our local tour- (she got to play 18 instead of 9, more competition, etc.) did you happen to ask your local tour director about this option?

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

_Txri21, on 14 May 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

The US kids golf World Championship is a really good experience, but if you aren't going to play in it, then pass on the tournaments, if there is truly no competition. Unless-

I know this girl who moved up an age division in our local tour- (she got to play 18 instead of 9, more competition, etc.) did you happen to ask your local tour director about this option?

_Txri21, on 14 May 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

US Kids Policy does not allow anyone to move up a division.  There is  not petition or talking to anyone.  It is not done, even in local US Kids events.

#7 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

I thought about going to pinehurst for US kids worlds.  I believe they start playing 18 holes at 10 for girls or am I wrong?  The biggest issue I have is we have a few local girls who go to pine hurst every year and it makes it much harder to qualify.  I am pretty sure my daughter could beat them on a 4500-5000 yard 18 hole course  but I believe the local tour still does 9 holes with a lot short holes with less then 2000 yards.  I think she could compete easy enough but usually at those distances if she makes a mistake and ends up with a bogey your not going to get first.  At lot cases you end up having to come up under par to win. With the longer yards the score go up a lot.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

tiger1873, on 15 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

I thought about going to pinehurst for US kids worlds.  I believe they start playing 18 holes at 10 for girls or am I wrong?  The biggest issue I have is we have a few local girls who go to pine hurst every year and it makes it much harder to qualify.  I am pretty sure my daughter could beat them on a 4500-5000 yard 18 hole course  but I believe the local tour still does 9 holes with a lot short holes with less then 2000 yards.  I think she could compete easy enough but usually at those distances if she makes a mistake and ends up with a bogey your not going to get first.  At lot cases you end up having to come up under par to win. With the longer yards the score go up a lot.

tiger1873, on 15 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

I have said it thousands of times.  If you can't score from the forward tees, you can't score from the longer tees.

Earl Woods always had Tiger play from shorter tees so Tiger could learn how to score.

My son's coach has him switch distances all of the time.  It works on different angles from tee boxes and different irons into different greens making the course play differently.  The biggest reason he has him switch up the distances is so he can learn how to score.  Being able to score and Knowing you can score are two different things.  He has my son play 4 rounds from 5000 yards (trying to shoot in the 60's each time), 4 rounds from 6000 yards, then 4 rounds from 5500 yards.  We go through this rotation all of the time.  Only time we switch it up is depending on a specific yardage he will be playing that wee in a tournament.

Qualifying should be hard.

#9 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1306

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

My son has burgundy status through August of 2017, but we will keep playing local tours for at least another year as the competition is pretty good.  He is a young 7 so by no means is he the best in the group.  He can definitely hang though.  For us its more of a convenience and cost thing.  The bigger and more competitive tours are fairly far away from us and the costs go up exponentially.

If he keeps progressing, there is no doubt I'm going to look into the larger and more competitive tournaments like FGC.  Another reason we haven't moved yet is because I just don't feel like my son is ready to go out there himself.  I've been trying to train him little by little to read his own putts and chose clubs etc...

#10 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

kekoa, on 15 May 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

My son has burgundy status through August of 2017, but we will keep playing local tours for at least another year as the competition is pretty good.  He is a young 7 so by no means is he the best in the group.  He can definitely hang though.  For us its more of a convenience and cost thing.  The bigger and more competitive tours are fairly far away from us and the costs go up exponentially.

If he keeps progressing, there is no doubt I'm going to look into the larger and more competitive tournaments like FGC.  Another reason we haven't moved yet is because I just don't feel like my son is ready to go out there himself.  I've been trying to train him little by little to read his own putts and chose clubs etc...

Hey Kekoa - your son and mine are pretty similar (with a two year gap) being one of the younger kids out there but don't underestimate your son.  We put our boy into the SCPGA JDT at eight years old thinking it would be a nightmare but he ended up doing fine and he likes those events more than US Kids now.  After four events he qualified to move up to the players tour when he turned nine and is doing just fine out there on his own.  Maybe just wait a year and then give it a shot.  Biggest thing they have to learn is to keep score for themselves AND their playing partners.  You 100% will run into kids that can't count properly and there's no parent 'help' so he's going to have to be on top of that.  

Good luck on Sunday at the Tour Championship.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

leezer99, on 15 May 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

kekoa, on 15 May 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Hey Kekoa - your son and mine are pretty similar (with a two year gap) being one of the younger kids out there but don't underestimate your son.  We put our boy into the SCPGA JDT at eight years old thinking it would be a nightmare but he ended up doing fine and he likes those events more than US Kids now.  After four events he qualified to move up to the players tour when he turned nine and is doing just fine out there on his own.  Maybe just wait a year and then give it a shot.  Biggest thing they have to learn is to keep score for themselves AND their playing partners.  You 100% will run into kids that can't count properly and there's no parent 'help' so he's going to have to be on top of that.  

Good luck on Sunday at the Tour Championship.

Things I have never done for my son.

1.  Keep Score.
2.  Tee Up His ball.
3.  Line him up for a shot.
4.  Line him up for a putt.
5.  Tell him how to take a drop.

All of those things are part of the game when you decide to play.  The sooner they learn how to do them on their own the better off they will be in the future.  My son asked me once why I never read a green for him.  My response "Son, everyone has to learn how to wipe their a** at some point in their lives."  He played on Saturday and put up a sub 70 round in a US Kids and never read one green.  Meanwhile the other kids dad read every green and he shot an 88.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 15 May 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#12 tiger1873

tiger1873

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

I am not worried about her scoring from the forward tees  she plays angainst in the local PGA circuit and beats them all the time.

The issue is the fact it is less then 2000 yards and on courses that have firm fairways and small hard greens.   The same kids always win the smaller yardage tournaments with 9 holes but lose When they play 18 on a normal course.  I have a huge problem when you miss a putt and have no real way you can win  or get a birdie to make it up because the course is so easy someone will have a perfect game that day. That isn't real completion.  

You will see low scores locally where there under par but the same kids do not place when they play nationally.  I think it more of problem with Texas courses because many times you have to putt a chip in a fairway but elsewhere you better get over the sand trap. Some courses here are just raised greens with no water or sand traps for hazards and weeds that do not roll true.  To be honest to play the bad courses it ruins. Your game.

I am not worried about her scoring from the forward tees  she plays angainst in the local PGA circuit and beats them all the time.

The issue is the fact it is less then 2000 yards and on courses that have firm fairways and small hard greens.   The same kids always win the smaller yardage tournaments with 9 holes but lose When they play 18 on a normal course.  I have a huge problem when you miss a putt and have no real way you can win  or get a birdie to make it up because the course is so easy someone will have a perfect game that day. That isn't real completion.  

You will see low scores locally where there under par but the same kids do not place when they play nationally.  I think it more of problem with Texas courses because many times you have to putt a chip in a fairway but elsewhere you better get over the sand trap. Some courses here are just raised greens with no water or sand traps for hazards and weeds that do not roll true.  To be honest to play the bad courses it ruins. Your game.

#13 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:21 PM

tiger1873, on 15 May 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

I hear you.

Personally, I don't think they should have US Kids World Championship for kids under 10 anyway.  A) kids don't need that pressure  B) It is ridiculous to spend that kind of cash for 3 days of 9 holes.  In the greater scheme of things in the world, it does absolutely nothing for these kids under the age of 10.

#14 leezer99

leezer99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

heavy_hitter, on 15 May 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

I hear you.

Personally, I don't think they should have US Kids World Championship for kids under 10 anyway.  A) kids don't need that pressure  B) It is ridiculous to spend that kind of cash for 3 days of 9 holes.  In the greater scheme of things in the world, it does absolutely nothing for these kids under the age of 10.

And no AJGA stars until their 11.  But we won't talk about the value of AJGA with HH.  LOL.  :taunt:

#15 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

leezer99, on 15 May 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

heavy_hitter, on 15 May 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

I hear you.

And no AJGA stars until their 11.  But we won't talk about the value of AJGA with HH.  LOL.  :taunt:

:stop:

For Boy's wanting to play at a D1 school and top DII schools, AJGA has to be a priority.
For Girl's, not so much so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors