Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TP5x vs B330 vs Z Star xv vs TPX

95 replies to this topic

#61 scottaz

scottaz

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostBigHook25, on 18 March 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

View Postscottaz, on 18 March 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

​I have about another week before I can get outside and play again, so I spent some time indoors with the 17' xv, latest version B330, Chrome x and the new TM TP5x.

The TP5x was constantly 10-15' higher with all irons. I spent a lot of time just hitting the 7 iron to start and was peaking around 117 on average with it vs around 107 with the others. I had several that were in the 120's with the TP5x. It's just not going to work for me.

I loaded up on the XV's. It just continues to impress me.

If the TP5x is cutting through the wind and not losing distance (if it actually is), why would the higher flight be an issue?

I know it is cutting thru it for a lot of guys but I'm not seeing it. With the wind is a problem as well since I can't control the distance, and this ball is long already.

I think it's going to be a game changer for a lot of players but I'm already too high and the longer it's up there the longer the wind can mess with it.

In perfect conditions I could dial it in easily but I rarely play in those.

Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 BigHook25

BigHook25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143811
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

View Postscottaz, on 18 March 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostBigHook25, on 18 March 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

View Postscottaz, on 18 March 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

​I have about another week before I can get outside and play again, so I spent some time indoors with the 17' xv, latest version B330, Chrome x and the new TM TP5x.

The TP5x was constantly 10-15' higher with all irons. I spent a lot of time just hitting the 7 iron to start and was peaking around 117 on average with it vs around 107 with the others. I had several that were in the 120's with the TP5x. It's just not going to work for me.

I loaded up on the XV's. It just continues to impress me.

If the TP5x is cutting through the wind and not losing distance (if it actually is), why would the higher flight be an issue?

I know it is cutting thru it for a lot of guys but I'm not seeing it. With the wind is a problem as well since I can't control the distance, and this ball is long already.

I think it's going to be a game changer for a lot of players but I'm already too high and the longer it's up there the longer the wind can mess with it.

In perfect conditions I could dial it in easily but I rarely play in those.

Gotcha.  Thanks for clearing that up.

#63 Ivyguy

Ivyguy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200623
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

I always thought the b stones went FAR (ball go really far) but they don't bend, much straighter ball flight.

#64 scottaz

scottaz

Major Winner

• 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostIvyguy, on 24 March 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

I always thought the b stones went FAR (ball go really far) but they don't bend, much straighter ball flight.

Agreed, the tour b330 is a great ball and very predictable. I'll be playing it in softer conditions this year and the XV the rest of the time.

Today I was able to put the Chrome X in play for the first time. Very impressed. I think those who like the other balls I've tested would probably get along with it as well. I thought it spun similarly to the xv, was as long as any of the others and felt great all full shots. I really liked chipping with it. I chipped in twice today with it on back to back holes. I still don't like it off the putter though and that's important to me. I could probably get used to it and dial it in. If I wasn't doing so well with the xv and b330 and loaded up on both, I'd give this a longer look and may come back to it later.

Today was about 70 and calm so I did try the TP5x again and it performed much better for me. Still can't seem to figure out long irons with it. Long most of the day. I flushed it off the tee on 18 and then hit the other 3 as well. The only other ball I hit on the same line was the b330, which I hit just as well and they were nearly touching each other.

Edited by scottaz, 25 March 2017 - 03:49 PM.

Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

#65 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

I finally got around to playing with a TP5x today...my summary below:

Durability - Pretty good...no scuffs to speak of
Driver / Iron distance - I didn't really notice any gains here...I did bust a few drives, but I played Pro V1x yesterday and was slightly longer.  The longest ball for me is Cally Hex Black Tour...ProV1x and TP5x were close but not all the way there.  I noticed maybe a little iron distance gains but nothing to write home about.  In summary, a pretty long ball overall but not the longest.  Also, I didn't really notice any ballooning or high launching off the driver.  Launched pretty high off my irons though.
Putter feel - this one felt softer to me than V1x...I liked it off the putter.
Chipping - Wouldn't check up enough for me...too much rollout.
Wedge shots - This is the deal breaker for me...I just couldn't get this ball to stop enough...my pitch shots ran out a good 3-4 yards further than V1x (V1x hits, bounces forward, and rolls back to the original spot for me...Hex Blacks spin back past the original spot).  The TP5x would hit, bounce, and then release a little.  It was too unpredictable and was enough that I had way too many downhill putts coming back.

In summary, the TP5x was a "soft enough" distance ball (softish feel off irons, putter, and wedges compared to V1x), but was too unpredictable and not "spinny" enough for me near the greens.  I only lost 1 all day, so now I am "stuck" with 11 more of these to play although could be useful on courses where length is an advantage (except that it wasn't really any longer than V1x or Cally Hex Black).

Edited by LeftDaddy, 25 March 2017 - 09:55 PM.

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

#66 Go_Blue!

Go_Blue!

HAIL!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47259
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostLeftDaddy, on 25 March 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

Driver / Iron distance - I didn't really notice any gains here...I did bust a few drives, but I played Pro V1x yesterday and was slightly longer.  The longest ball for me is Cally Hex Black Tour...ProV1x and TP5x were close but not all the way there.  I noticed maybe a little iron distance gains but nothing to write home about.  In summary, a pretty long ball overall but not the longest.  Also, I didn't really notice any ballooning or high launching off the driver.  Launched pretty high off my irons though.
Wedge shots - This is the deal breaker for me...I just couldn't get this ball to stop enough...my pitch shots ran out a good 3-4 yards further than V1x (V1x hits, bounces forward, and rolls back to the original spot for me...Hex Blacks spin back past the original spot).  The TP5x would hit, bounce, and then release a little.  It was too unpredictable and was enough that I had way too many downhill putts coming back.

In summary, the TP5x was a "soft enough" distance ball (softish feel off irons, putter, and wedges compared to V1x), but was too unpredictable and not "spinny" enough for me near the greens.  I only lost 1 all day, so now I am "stuck" with 11 more of these to play although could be useful on courses where length is an advantage (except that it wasn't really any longer than V1x or Cally Hex Black).

Pretty similar to my experience. I have the TP5X A shot last wknd when I was in Arizona and tested it against the XV, which I have played the last couple of years. The TP5X was fine off of the tee, but that was about it. Wedges and around the green the ball was inferior to the XV in a big way. I am a high spin, high ball hitter and the XV continues to be the ball for me. I love the trajectory and bite I get around the greens with these. Its just as long as any other ball for me off the tee and the feel is just right. I think Srixon has really figured it out with the XV and has one check if a golf ball.
8.5* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
19* Bridgestone J36
4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
Taylormade Spider Tour Black
Srixon Z Star XV

#67 JoeyD12

JoeyD12

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333879
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostLeftDaddy, on 25 March 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

Do you still play Hex Blacks?  In your opinion are they still worth picking up?

#68 Gem

Gem

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19868
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

I have tried pretty much everything you can get and really don't like the ProV's or Bridgestones because for me they just spin far too much.
The Srixon balls are better but not good enough to make me switch away from the TP line of balls.
That being said, I much prefer the TPx over the TP5x. I find the new balls to be a bit hard feeling and whilst it is a good ball I seemed to like the TPx better.

Edited by Gem, 05 June 2017 - 04:26 PM.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 2 58 KBS 610 S+

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

#69 noodle3872

noodle3872

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

View PostGem, on 05 June 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

I have tried pretty much everything you can get and really don't like the ProV's or Bridgestones because for me they just spin far too much.
The Srixon balls are better but not good enough to make me switch away from the TP line of balls.
That being said, I much prefer the TPx over the TP5x. I find the new balls to be a bit hard feeling and whilst it is a good ball I seemed to like the TPx better.

If you like the old TPx, try the TP5.  I use to play the TPx and quite like the TP5.  Honestly, if I didn't have 8 dozen TP5x, the TP5 would be the ball I would play exclusively.
Taylormade M2 10.5 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 S Flex
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade M2 19 hybrid with MCA Diamana S+ Plus 80 S Flex
Taylormade M2 22 hybrid with MCA Diamana S+ Plus 90 S Flex
PXG 0311T Xtreme Dark 4-PW Irons with MCA OTi Tour 110 S flex
PXG 0311T Xtreme Dark Sugar Daddy Milled Wedge 50/10 with MCA OTi Tour 110 S flex
PXG 0311T Darkness Milled Wedges 55/12 and 60/08 with MCA OTi Tour 110 S flex
Odyssey RSX V-Line Fang putter
Taylormade TP5x golf ball

#70 Gem

Gem

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19868
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

View Postnoodle3872, on 05 June 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

If you like the old TPx, try the TP5.  I use to play the TPx and quite like the TP5.  Honestly, if I didn't have 8 dozen TP5x, the TP5 would be the ball I would play exclusively.

I'll give that a try.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 2 58 KBS 610 S+

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30047
GolfWRX Likes : 388

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Just used the TP5x this weekend in a tournament played on fast firm greens.  I had no issue hitting into the wind at all.   It launches higher, but does not float or rise into the wind like a higher spinning ball.  ZERO issues with it around the greens.  Probably a half club longer with my irons compared to the Pro V1x.  No issues knocking the ball down either.  The last few TM balls were trash.  Not this one!  The TP5x is a great ball.  Might not be a great ball for higher handicaps (10+), but that could be said about all of the balls being tested in this thread.

#72 Jonesy

Jonesy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90848
GolfWRX Likes : 667

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

I finally got to try the TP5X, only one round so far so definitely need to do more testing.

Compared to the TP5, the X definitely flies a lot better for me, the TP5 just wanted to go up but the X stays in a sort of mid to high range which is controllable. I did notice on a few wedge shots that this ball takes off like a rocket but it still flies the expected distance, it's odd to explain, one second I'm shouting for it to get down and the next I'm pin high... I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

After one round the cover was very tired, scuff marks and discoloration all over it so it's definitely not as durable as the XV. Distance wise I really didn't notice that I was any longer with any club but I'll keep a look out in my next round to see if I notice any difference.

As it stands currently the XV is ahead, possibly because I'm used to it more and definitely because it is cheaper. It's also more durable. But I'm not counting the TP5X out just yet, it certainly feels a lot better than the XV off every club so it has that going for it.
Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5*
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18*
Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
Callaway X Prototype 4 - PW
Cleveland 50* Mizuno 54* 58* MP-T11
Scotty Cameron Newport

#73 BigHook25

BigHook25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143811
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

View PostTmiller72, on 06 June 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

Just used the TP5x this weekend in a tournament played on fast firm greens.  I had no issue hitting into the wind at all.   It launches higher, but does not float or rise into the wind like a higher spinning ball.  ZERO issues with it around the greens.  Probably a half club longer with my irons compared to the Pro V1x.  No issues knocking the ball down either.  The last few TM balls were trash.  Not this one!  The TP5x is a great ball.  Might not be a great ball for higher handicaps (10+), but that could be said about all of the balls being tested in this thread.

I wouldn't say the last few TM golf balls were trash.  The tour preferred was an excellent golf ball.

#74 joliver233

joliver233

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418354
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

View PostJonesy, on 06 June 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

I finally got to try the TP5X, only one round so far so definitely need to do more testing.

Compared to the TP5, the X definitely flies a lot better for me, the TP5 just wanted to go up but the X stays in a sort of mid to high range which is controllable. I did notice on a few wedge shots that this ball takes off like a rocket but it still flies the expected distance, it's odd to explain, one second I'm shouting for it to get down and the next I'm pin high... I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

After one round the cover was very tired, scuff marks and discoloration all over it so it's definitely not as durable as the XV. Distance wise I really didn't notice that I was any longer with any club but I'll keep a look out in my next round to see if I notice any difference.

As it stands currently the XV is ahead, possibly because I'm used to it more and definitely because it is cheaper. It's also more durable. But I'm not counting the TP5X out just yet, it certainly feels a lot better than the XV off every club so it has that going for it.

I have had pretty much the same experience with these two balls. I really like them both and keep going back and forth.

#75 Jonesy

Jonesy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90848
GolfWRX Likes : 667

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:30 AM

Just to follow on from my previous findings, the TP5x is gone. The reason being is that from 100m in I have absolutely no clue what this ball is going to do, it takes off like a rocket from the wedges and either flies the right distance or it's just too long. The other problem is that it doesn't hold, I've hit too many shots from the 50 to 70 meter range where this ball has released way too far on after landing.

Sticking with the XV.

Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5*
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18*
Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
Callaway X Prototype 4 - PW
Cleveland 50* Mizuno 54* 58* MP-T11
Scotty Cameron Newport

#76 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:20 AM

I have been using a B330s all season and I finally go around to trying the TP5X.  The Bridgestone is a solid ball and honestly I've been gaming it because they're going for 30 bucks a dozen or less when you buy bulk.  It's long enough and the spin on wedge shots and pitches is predictable and I feel like I can control the amount of spin well.  While I like the way it putts it does seem jumpy off the wedges on touch shots and while it does seem to slow quicker rolling on the greens it does feel springy off the putter face.  To me it's a light playing ball as in it flies high, revs up quick, and can be jumpy with touch shots.

The TP5X on the other hand seems to play more like a heavy ball,  many have said it flies high but I don't see any more height than normal though it does seem to get up to height and flatten quicker.  I was able to hit a hard low baby cut with both the driver and the 3 wood as well as a mile high 5 iron to a tight pin so it is responsive and versatile.  Characteristics of a heavy feeling/playing ball include more dense feeling at impact, a more solid sound/feel at impact, a "heavy roll" which means it seems to take a bit less break or begin to break later in the roll. on putts  It seems very low spin off the driver and 3 wood, and generates plenty of height and spin with everything else until we get to the wedges.

Full wedges, even 3/4 wedges are no issue.  I got no suck back but the ball stops quick.  I do feel like I lost some strokes today short game wise.  2 low juiced wedges that should have op and stopped right at the hole both didn't seem to check at all and blew by the hole 10 ft or so stopping at the fringe.  2 tap in birds that went for pars.  Then on one interesting medium length pitch from the rough I  used a lower lofted wedge and it a flat running pitch that should have rolled out to the hole, instead it bit a bit and came up 5-7ft short.

I do like the ball, It is incredibly stable in the long game dept.  Great putting, and great with irons and wedges at distance.  The short stuff has me concerned but I'm going to put some more time in with the ball hitting short wedge shots.

I think because of the thicker layer closer to the cover of the x it revs up slower spin wise but holds it better thus the accurate irons that spin plenty.  There was no ballooning of this ball at all, even into a significant breeze, but it does seem that to get the ball to stop around the greens you have to get a bit of height on it.

All in all I really like the way the ball feels and performs all around except for chips and short pitches
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

#77 360_CS

360_CS

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83083
GolfWRX Likes : 798

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:49 AM

I tried the B330S the other week and felt like it spun far too much off the driver. I currently play the tpx and wish I'd hit them side by side. I might do that this week.

#78 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

View Post360_CS, on 22 June 2017 - 03:49 AM, said:

I tried the B330S the other week and felt like it spun far too much off the driver. I currently play the tpx and wish I'd hit them side by side. I might do that this week.

I didn't think the b330s was that spinny off the driver but after playing the TP5X in 20-25 mph winds yest. I'm thinking that maybe it was spinning more than I thought.  Ball flight seemed similar but the TP def. flew stronger through the wind and seemed to curve less in general.  The x def. does spin less on every shot than the b330s but it may be worth just getting used to it, it was that good on full swings and off the putter.

I wonder how soft the cover is and I wouldn't be surprised if the tour guys playing the TP5X are playing a softer cover variant.  It may not be feasible for retail from a durability standpoint but for guys who get the ball for free and can swap a new ball out every hole if they choose it wouldn't be a big deal.

I played the TPX for awhile too, better for checking short pitches and chips around the greens but I think the TP5X beats it in every other category.

#79 net_worth

net_worth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441280
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

What model year is the zstar XV that GG had six packs of for $10 a couple months ago. Was that the 2016 model?

#80 joliver233

joliver233

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

View Postnet_worth, on 22 June 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

What model year is the zstar XV that GG had six packs of for $10 a couple months ago. Was that the 2016 model?

It was their new 2017 model.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 McMoo

McMoo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456192
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

View Postjoliver233, on 22 June 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

View Postnet_worth, on 22 June 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

It was their new 2017 model.

Looks like they still have them http://m.golfgalaxy....2017zstrxvpgbla
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero - 9 degree, 12g weight forward, Fujikura Pro Green 62 X
3 wood: Callaway XR Pro 14 degree - Stock Project X 6.0
3 hybrid: Callaway XR Pro 20 degree - Stock Project X 6.0
4-pw: Bridgestone J15 DF - Project X PXI 6.0
50, 55, 60 wedges: Mizuno T4
Putter: Odyssey Works #1W
Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred X

#82 360_CS

360_CS

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83083
GolfWRX Likes : 798

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 22 June 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

View Post360_CS, on 22 June 2017 - 03:49 AM, said:

I didn't think the b330s was that spinny off the driver but after playing the TP5X in 20-25 mph winds yest. I'm thinking that maybe it was spinning more than I thought.  Ball flight seemed similar but the TP def. flew stronger through the wind and seemed to curve less in general.  The x def. does spin less on every shot than the b330s but it may be worth just getting used to it, it was that good on full swings and off the putter.

I wonder how soft the cover is and I wouldn't be surprised if the tour guys playing the TP5X are playing a softer cover variant.  It may not be feasible for retail from a durability standpoint but for guys who get the ball for free and can swap a new ball out every hole if they choose it wouldn't be a big deal.

I played the TPX for awhile too, better for checking short pitches and chips around the greens but I think the TP5X beats it in every other category.

Sounds like I might have to get some TP5X. Only problem is I still have two dozen TPX balls.

#83 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Gotta say.... The TP5x is a pretty sweet ball. Feels nicer than Prov1x and for the first time I actually got balls to spin backward when they checked up. I might even check out TP5 which apparently is a slightly softer even higher spinning version around the greens.
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid: JPX-850
Hybrid: 816H1
Irons: Rballz 5 & 6, Rbladez 7-PW
GW: RTX 3.0
SW: MD2
LW: RAC FE2O3  
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: Nike RZN Platinum
Bag: Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

#84 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

I spent some more time with this ball today, about 2 hours hitting 3 TP5X's against 3 B330S' around the short game area and perhaps I was quick to judge on the short game spin.  The B330S wasn't gripping like normal either so it's very likely conditions are playing a bigger factor than I thought.  Wedge shots, pitches, delicate chips, flops, etc performed almost identically to the B330S but had a denser more dead feeling that I liked better.  I had no problem hitting trap cut and draw spin chips either getting the ball to hop and track sideways on the green so it can def. spin when needed.  I do think the default short game play with this ball is to give it a bit more room and let it roll out, but when I wanted to spin it I could, I just had to put a little more effort into the shot.  The TP5X was very predictable in it's behavior around the greens and that's all I really can ask for out of a ball.

#85 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

So, Played some more rounds with the TPX5 and I was wondering if anyone else using it was having consistency issues with flight and distance.  I had difficulty dialing in distance and found myself about a club long with the irons when I felt I should be tight, and a few wedge shots that came up short when, if anything, I felt I was a bit long.  I also had trouble moving the ball though it was easier for me to hit draws than the flat cut I like to go to most often.  It would start online and just not move back to the target much.

I'm wondering if the lack of spin is actually making it more inconsistent...  The B330s is not a long ball, but it is probably the most consistent ball I've ever used,.  I did find a '16 B330 on the course and played that on a few holes and was very impressed and surprised.  It didn't feel like the rock I remember it to be and it seemed to spin very well off the wedges and lower the the s but a bit more than the TP5X off the irons.  Trajectory was lower than both the S and the TP5X and it actually seemed straighter than the 5X off the tee, and I hit some bombs with the 330.  My longest drives with the TP5X were actually misses high on the face , a high miss flew farther than the balls I nutted ironically.  Outside of the launch angle being lower, the B330 was very similar to the 5X but with a touch more spin and I think, more consistent, and I think that may be due to lack of spin on the 5X which basically leads to fliers.

Anybody else find the same thing with the 5X?  This makes me believe even more that the pro versions of the 5X probably have a slightly softer layer under the cover and spin just a bit more than the retail one.  I can't see the cover being any thinner cause I take chunks out of it up to the 7 iron as it is.

#86 noodle3872

noodle3872

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

I think the high launch/low spin design of the TP5 and TP5x balls is the culprit for distance issues.  If you strike it pure, the ball goes a solid consistent distance.  Catch a flyer and this baby knuckle balls and flies well past the expected yardage.  If a ball design can be "unforgiving", this may be it.  Most of us need a bit more spin off the irons than we realize and this ball line is not designed to give spin compared to a Pro V1.
Taylormade M2 10.5 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 S Flex
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade M2 19 hybrid with MCA Diamana S+ Plus 80 S Flex
Taylormade M2 22 hybrid with MCA Diamana S+ Plus 90 S Flex
PXG 0311T Xtreme Dark 4-PW Irons with MCA OTi Tour 110 S flex
PXG 0311T Xtreme Dark Sugar Daddy Milled Wedge 50/10 with MCA OTi Tour 110 S flex
PXG 0311T Darkness Milled Wedges 55/12 and 60/08 with MCA OTi Tour 110 S flex
Odyssey RSX V-Line Fang putter
Taylormade TP5x golf ball

#87 joliver233

joliver233

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 30 June 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

So, Played some more rounds with the TPX5 and I was wondering if anyone else using it was having consistency issues with flight and distance.  I had difficulty dialing in distance and found myself about a club long with the irons when I felt I should be tight, and a few wedge shots that came up short when, if anything, I felt I was a bit long.  I also had trouble moving the ball though it was easier for me to hit draws than the flat cut I like to go to most often.  It would start online and just not move back to the target much.

I'm wondering if the lack of spin is actually making it more inconsistent...  The B330s is not a long ball, but it is probably the most consistent ball I've ever used,.  I did find a '16 B330 on the course and played that on a few holes and was very impressed and surprised.  It didn't feel like the rock I remember it to be and it seemed to spin very well off the wedges and lower the the s but a bit more than the TP5X off the irons.  Trajectory was lower than both the S and the TP5X and it actually seemed straighter than the 5X off the tee, and I hit some bombs with the 330.  My longest drives with the TP5X were actually misses high on the face , a high miss flew farther than the balls I nutted ironically.  Outside of the launch angle being lower, the B330 was very similar to the 5X but with a touch more spin and I think, more consistent, and I think that may be due to lack of spin on the 5X which basically leads to fliers.

Anybody else find the same thing with the 5X?  This makes me believe even more that the pro versions of the 5X probably have a slightly softer layer under the cover and spin just a bit more than the retail one.  I can't see the cover being any thinner cause I take chunks out of it up to the 7 iron as it is.

I felt that same issue at the beginning, but I gave the ball another go, and love it. Am getting more spin than before (probably due to the greens being more receptive now than in march as well as improvements in my swing). However I am normally a high spin player, and these balls along with the xv give me just the right amount of spin with a higher trajectory. I think getting them dialed in is the hard part, but now that I have, they flat out perform for me.

#88 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

View Postjoliver233, on 01 July 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

I felt that same issue at the beginning, but I gave the ball another go, and love it. Am getting more spin than before (probably due to the greens being more receptive now than in march as well as improvements in my swing). However I am normally a high spin player, and these balls along with the xv give me just the right amount of spin with a higher trajectory. I think getting them dialed in is the hard part, but now that I have, they flat out perform for me.

I think you're right, played another round alternating between the TP5x, B330, and B330s and even though I don't feel like I'm dialed in with the TP5X yet I score better with it because I'm hitting more fairways and greens though I'm farther from the hole mostly to being long.  It feels better than the 330 but performance wise they're pretty close with the 330 being 1/2 club shorter in the irons (which is still 1/2 club longer than the 330s)  I'm getting stupid iron distances with the TP5X especially in the 7,6 and 5 iron.  But not noticing a lot more distance with the Hy, 3w, and driver.  I am able to keep the TP low when I want as it doesn't climb like the 330s from the spin.

I'd feel way more comfortable if I could get on a trackman or flightscope with the TP5X balls because it's really flying like nothing I've ever used before, most premiums I can adjust to within a few shots, this thing is a different animal altogether.

#89 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 583

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 01 July 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

View Postjoliver233, on 01 July 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

I think you're right, played another round alternating between the TP5x, B330, and B330s and even though I don't feel like I'm dialed in with the TP5X yet I score better with it because I'm hitting more fairways and greens though I'm farther from the hole mostly to being long.  It feels better than the 330 but performance wise they're pretty close with the 330 being 1/2 club shorter in the irons (which is still 1/2 club longer than the 330s)  I'm getting stupid iron distances with the TP5X especially in the 7,6 and 5 iron.  But not noticing a lot more distance with the Hy, 3w, and driver.  I am able to keep the TP low when I want as it doesn't climb like the 330s from the spin.

I'd feel way more comfortable if I could get on a trackman or flightscope with the TP5X balls because it's really flying like nothing I've ever used before, most premiums I can adjust to within a few shots, this thing is a different animal altogether.

In my humble opinion, the reason so many people are having issues "dialing in" TP5 balls is because it is virtually a "distance ball" packaged and marketed as a "tour ball."   Think about it.... Long, High Launch, with Low Spin... sound familiar?  Sounds like a two piece distance ball to me.

If you need more proof, check the USGA conforming ball list - There are TEN versions of TP5 listed... TEN.  Why would you need TEN version of a new model of ball?  Considering the general public can only purchase two versions, that leaves eight additional versions for tour players only.  Why you ask - in my opinion, because tour players could never game the retail model... too unpredictable and difficult to manage lack of spin on approach shots and around the greens.

As a reference, Titleist has three versions of the 2017 Pro V on USGA list.  Pro V1, Pro V1x and Pink Pro V1... all of which you and I can walk into a store and purchase.

Just my thoughts...

As a point of reference on what ball I play - I LOVED TM balls and played them exclusively starting with Red LDP until switching to Pro V1x in 2015.
PING G400 LST Driver 7.5º ~ Tour AD BB-6
TaylorMade M2 Fairway (2016) 16.5º ~ Tour AD GT-7
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 20º ~ Tour AD GT-75 UT
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 23º ~ Tour AD HY-85
Epon by Endo AF-503 Irons 5–PW ~ Project X 5.5 (Hard Stepped +1)
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 51.13 F (Heal & Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 57.09 M (Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 63.09 M (Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) ~ 34"
Titleist Pro V1 (2017) ~ #45

#90 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 498

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Has anyone compared the 2016 TM Tour Preferred X to the 2017 TP5x? I love the 2016 model and switched to it after several years of using prov1x.  Thanks.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors