Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TP5x vs B330 vs Z Star xv vs TPX


95 replies to this topic

#1 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:46 PM

I've been doing a lot of ball testing over the past few weeks. I like to find my gamer early, stock up and know exactly what to expect from my ball all season. Money isn't a factor. I play what fits best.

Last year I ended up playing the 2016 TPX.

This year the final 4 ended up being the ones listed above. My course is windy a lot of the time and I'm a high ball player, so that's a huge factor for me. We have small, very fast greens with lots of false fronts. So the right amount of spin is another big one. But when I test, scoring is the major deciding factor.  

The TPX was a great ball for me last year and with the new ones coming out, I was hoping it would hold up since I have many in stock and could easily load up with more.

I also tested the newer B330 B version. I still had a few dozen of the previous years B330's and they were very similar to me. But I liked the newer one a bit more.

Over the past few weeks the XV has been beating the tpx and both B330's. I haven't liked previous years of the xv as much as other balls, so the 2017's have been the big surprise so far. There is nothing better I've hit in the wind and the B330 is no slouch in the wind.

I never worry about distance off the tee. Just looking for control and how well it holds the line. The xv shines here.  I like the feel better than the others. My one concern still is the spin on the greens. Both of the other two behave similarly with approach shots. I'm seeing a little bit more spin with the xv but feel it's something I can adjust to. And may end up being helpful at times.

I was pretty certain, after all of the glowing reviews of the new TP5x, that it would end up being my ball. I much prefer last years version. The TP5x wants to go high. I liked all three other balls in every way more. On 18 this morning I hit the xv and TP5x from 130 out into a heavy wind. I miss hit the xv slightly and ended up 10' past the pin. I flushed the TP5x and watched it get crushed. 15 yards short. As I watched it climb and hit a wall (not the first time today) I knew this would not be my gamer.

My playing partner was testing the two TM's and liked last years better. He's a lower ball player and I thought he'd get on with the new one. Shorter off the tee for him, didn't like the feel as much. Similar with approach shots.

I'm still going to do more testing until I'm 100% certain but as of now I'd rank them...


Srixon vx
Newest version B330
2016 TPX
Previous version B330


I have to say I'm surprised so many, especially guys who hit it high, are liking the TP5x. But this just shows how we're all different animals and thankfully there a so many great balls to choose from this year.

Attached Thumbnails

  • thumbnail_IMG_0216.jpg

Edited by scottaz, 08 March 2017 - 04:01 PM.

Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 spartY84

spartY84

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83055
  • Joined: 05/15/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

Is there a 2017 B330? I think they changed the logo but not the ball.  The packaging I have on my "2016"s I bought in November is exactly what they have on their website. It'd be funny if you're playing the same exact ball and ranked them differently.

Edited by spartY84, 08 March 2017 - 02:07 PM.


2

#3 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Yup, you're right! I wasn't sure to be honest. Just assumed there were some changes made since the balls were different. The B may have swayed me:)
Very cool, they should stick with it.
Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

3

#4 Uhit

Uhit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
  • Joined: 01/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

I've been doing a lot of ball testing over the past few weeks. I like to find my gamer early, stock up and know exactly what to expect from my ball all season. Money isn't a factor. I play what fits best.

Last year I ended up playing the TPX.

This year the final 4 ended up being the ones listed above. My course is windy a lot of the time and I'm a high ball player, so that's a huge factor for me. We have small, very fast greens with lots of false fronts. So the right amount of spin is another big one. But when I test, scoring is the major deciding factor.  

The TPX was a great ball for me last year and with the new ones coming out, I was hoping it would hold up since I have many in stock and could easily load up with more. But late last year I played a little better with the B330 and thought that may be the way I go. So I tested the new B330 vs last years and liked the new ones a lot. Love the B. Slight improvement over the older version.

Over the past few weeks the XV has been beating the tpx and both B330's. I haven't liked previous years of the xv as much as other balls, so the 2017's have been the big surprise so far. There is nothing better I've hit in the wind and the B330 is no slouch in the wind.

I never worry about distance off the tee. Just looking for control and how well it holds the line. The xv shines here.  I like the feel better than the others. My one concern still is the spin on the greens. Both of the other two behave similarly with approach shots. I'm seeing a little bit more spin with the xv but feel it's something I can adjust to. And may end up being helpful at times.

I was pretty certain, after all of the glowing reviews of the new TP5x, that it would end up being my ball. I much prefer last years version. The TP5x wants to go high. I liked all three other balls in every way more. On 18 this morning I hit the xv and TP5x from 130 out into a heavy wind. I miss hit the xv slightly and ended up 10' past the pin. I flushed the TP5x and watched it get crushed. 15 yards short. As I watched it climb and hit a wall (not the first time today) I knew this would not be my gamer.

My playing partner was testing the two TM's and liked last years better. He's a lower ball player and I thought he'd get on with the new one. Shorter off the tee for him, didn't like the feel as much. Similar with approach shots.

I'm still going to do more testing until I'm 100% certain but as of now I'd rank them...


2017 Srixon vx
2017 B330
2015-16 TPX
2016 B330

I have to say I'm surprised so many, especially guys who hit it high, are liking the TP5x. But this just shows how we're all different animals and thankfully there a so many great balls to choose from this year.

A few questions to your ranking:


Where is the TP5x?

The 2015 TPx is a different ball than the 2016 TPx.

The 2016 B330 is AFAIK the same ball as the 2017 B330...
...except in markets, where the 2016 B330 is available with a B logo within 2017.


Maybe you can comment on my hints and questions?

4

#5 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Could you do some testing on the Chrome Soft X and new ProV1x?

I've actually never hit the XV but it's on my list to try as I've now tried everything else. I actually feel like the B330 does pretty well in the wind, it's one of the few balls that generally doesn't get knocked down as badly in severe headwinds. Could be for me because it launches lower than say the ProV's or other balls. However it was a spin machine off my driver... Could have been me that day though. I've found the chrome soft was the best all around ball for me, but I'm always looking to see if something else can outrank it.

Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid: JPX-850
Hybrid: 816H1
Irons: Rballz 5 & 6, Rbladez 7-PW
GW: RTX 3.0
SW: MD2
LW: RAC FE2O3  
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: Nike RZN Platinum
Bag: Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

  

5

#6 spartY84

spartY84

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83055
  • Joined: 05/15/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

Yup, you're right! I wasn't sure to be honest. Just assumed there were some changes made since the balls were different. The B may have swayed me:)
Very cool, they should stick with it.

Yeah I think the B330 in your picture may be the 2014 version.

Posted Image

6

#7 Uhit

Uhit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
  • Joined: 01/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

 spartY84, on 08 March 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

Yup, you're right! I wasn't sure to be honest. Just assumed there were some changes made since the balls were different. The B may have swayed me:)
Very cool, they should stick with it.

Yeah I think the B330 in your picture may be the 2014 version.

Posted Image


Good hint, you are right, it is definitely not the 2016 version in his picture!

7

#8 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Attached Thumbnails

  • thumbnail_IMG_0218.jpg

Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

8

#9 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

I've been doing a lot of ball testing over the past few weeks. I like to find my gamer early, stock up and know exactly what to expect from my ball all season. Money isn't a factor. I play what fits best.

Last year I ended up playing the TPX.

This year the final 4 ended up being the ones listed above. My course is windy a lot of the time and I'm a high ball player, so that's a huge factor for me. We have small, very fast greens with lots of false fronts. So the right amount of spin is another big one. But when I test, scoring is the major deciding factor.  

The TPX was a great ball for me last year and with the new ones coming out, I was hoping it would hold up since I have many in stock and could easily load up with more. But late last year I played a little better with the B330 and thought that may be the way I go. So I tested the new B330 vs last years and liked the new ones a lot. Love the B. Slight improvement over the older version.

Over the past few weeks the XV has been beating the tpx and both B330's. I haven't liked previous years of the xv as much as other balls, so the 2017's have been the big surprise so far. There is nothing better I've hit in the wind and the B330 is no slouch in the wind.

I never worry about distance off the tee. Just looking for control and how well it holds the line. The xv shines here.  I like the feel better than the others. My one concern still is the spin on the greens. Both of the other two behave similarly with approach shots. I'm seeing a little bit more spin with the xv but feel it's something I can adjust to. And may end up being helpful at times.

I was pretty certain, after all of the glowing reviews of the new TP5x, that it would end up being my ball. I much prefer last years version. The TP5x wants to go high. I liked all three other balls in every way more. On 18 this morning I hit the xv and TP5x from 130 out into a heavy wind. I miss hit the xv slightly and ended up 10' past the pin. I flushed the TP5x and watched it get crushed. 15 yards short. As I watched it climb and hit a wall (not the first time today) I knew this would not be my gamer.

My playing partner was testing the two TM's and liked last years better. He's a lower ball player and I thought he'd get on with the new one. Shorter off the tee for him, didn't like the feel as much. Similar with approach shots.

I'm still going to do more testing until I'm 100% certain but as of now I'd rank them...


2017 Srixon vx
2017 B330
2015-16 TPX
2016 B330

I have to say I'm surprised so many, especially guys who hit it high, are liking the TP5x. But this just shows how we're all different animals and thankfully there a so many great balls to choose from this year.

A few questions to your ranking:


Where is the TP5x?

The 2015 TPx is a different ball than the 2016 TPx.

The 2016 B330 is AFAIK the same ball as the 2017 B330...
...except in markets, where the 2016 B330 is available with a B logo within 2017.


Maybe you can comment on my hints and questions?

I didn't rank it because i wouldn't play it.
Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

9

#10 spartY84

spartY84

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83055
  • Joined: 05/15/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Yep, the one on top is definitely the 2016.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Uhit

Uhit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
  • Joined: 01/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Ok, that is the 2014 and the 2016 version of the B330...

...now, which TPX did you test?

The 2015 version, or the 2016 version?

Because a 2015-16 TPX does not exist.

11

#12 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

 Z1ggy16, on 08 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Could you do some testing on the Chrome Soft X and new ProV1x?

I've actually never hit the XV but it's on my list to try as I've now tried everything else. I actually feel like the B330 does pretty well in the wind, it's one of the few balls that generally doesn't get knocked down as badly in severe headwinds. Could be for me because it launches lower than say the ProV's or other balls. However it was a spin machine off my driver... Could have been me that day though. I've found the chrome soft was the best all around ball for me, but I'm always looking to see if something else can outrank it.


I had some of the new Pro Vx test balls sent to me this year and they felt great off the irons but I didn't like them off the woods at all. Never really do. Not a Pro V guy.

I haven't tried the Chrome X yet. Hear they're pretty great but I hated the Chrome soft. So it would have to be very different.
Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

12

#13 G-Bone

G-Bone

    Better than most...

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Outskirts of Detroit, Rock City
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 583

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Great information, thank you for sharing!

Testing balls in early spring is one of my favorite "season opening" rituals. :)

Edited by G-Bone, 08 March 2017 - 02:48 PM.

PING G400 LST Driver 7.5º ~ Tour AD BB-6
TaylorMade M2 Fairway (2016) 16.5º ~ Tour AD GT-7
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 20º ~ Tour AD GT-75 UT
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 23º ~ Tour AD HY-85
Epon by Endo AF-503 Irons 5–PW ~ Project X 5.5 (Hard Stepped +1)
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 51.13 F (Heal & Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 57.09 M (Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 63.09 M (Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) ~ 34"
Titleist Pro V1 (2017) ~ #45

13

#14 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Ok, that is the 2014 and the 2016 version of the B330...

...now, which TPX did you test?

The 2015 version, or the 2016 version?

Because a 2015-16 TPX does not exist.


2016's.
Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

14

#15 Uhit

Uhit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
  • Joined: 01/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Ok, that is the 2014 and the 2016 version of the B330...

...now, which TPX did you test?

The 2015 version, or the 2016 version?

Because a 2015-16 TPX does not exist.


2016's.

Are you sure?

Because you wrote 2015-16 TPX in your ranking, and assumed a 2014 B330 as an 2016 B330...

...maybe you could also show a picture, so that we can judge for our self - thanks!


15

#16 LittleLeftToRight

LittleLeftToRight

    Turn that frown upside down!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273859
  • Joined: 08/31/2013
  • Location:The Swamp
GolfWRX Likes : 1601

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

I have been using the Z Star XVs for a few years now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I say.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5º Aldila Black Mamba 60TX T1"

Tour Edge Exotics CB4 16.5º Oban Devotion 8/05 T1.5"

Tommy Armour "Heater" 14º DI Aldila Rip Tour X

Srixon I-701 Tour TT Black Gold X 3-PW

Callaway Jaws CC 50º/54º/58 PX 6.5
Hogan P131


16

#17 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 08 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Could you do some testing on the Chrome Soft X and new ProV1x?

I've actually never hit the XV but it's on my list to try as I've now tried everything else. I actually feel like the B330 does pretty well in the wind, it's one of the few balls that generally doesn't get knocked down as badly in severe headwinds. Could be for me because it launches lower than say the ProV's or other balls. However it was a spin machine off my driver... Could have been me that day though. I've found the chrome soft was the best all around ball for me, but I'm always looking to see if something else can outrank it.


I had some of the new Pro Vx test balls sent to me this year and they felt great off the irons but I didn't like them off the woods at all. Never really do. Not a Pro V guy.

I haven't tried the Chrome X yet. Hear they're pretty great but I hated the Chrome soft. So it would have to be very different.
Why did you hate Chrome Soft? I liked the softness and it spun comparably (or seemed to) most tour balls. It did fly pretty high, but that helped me stick greens with my lower spinning GI's. Now that I've got higher spinning MP54's perhaps I won't like the Chrome as much.

I've seen reviews on youtube showing Chrome X not really being any dif than Chrome regular. Main dif would be sound/feel.
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid: JPX-850
Hybrid: 816H1
Irons: Rballz 5 & 6, Rbladez 7-PW
GW: RTX 3.0
SW: MD2
LW: RAC FE2O3  
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: Nike RZN Platinum
Bag: Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

  

17

#18 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Ok, that is the 2014 and the 2016 version of the B330...

...now, which TPX did you test?

The 2015 version, or the 2016 version?

Because a 2015-16 TPX does not exist.


2016's.

Are you sure?

Because you wrote 2015-16 TPX in your ranking, and assumed a 2014 B330 as an 2016 B330...

...maybe you could also show a picture, so that we can judge for our self - thanks!

Yeah I'm sure. I actually have both of them as well.

I'll tweak the write up. I was kind of rushing myself.

Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

18

#19 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

 Z1ggy16, on 08 March 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 08 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Could you do some testing on the Chrome Soft X and new ProV1x?

I've actually never hit the XV but it's on my list to try as I've now tried everything else. I actually feel like the B330 does pretty well in the wind, it's one of the few balls that generally doesn't get knocked down as badly in severe headwinds. Could be for me because it launches lower than say the ProV's or other balls. However it was a spin machine off my driver... Could have been me that day though. I've found the chrome soft was the best all around ball for me, but I'm always looking to see if something else can outrank it.


I had some of the new Pro Vx test balls sent to me this year and they felt great off the irons but I didn't like them off the woods at all. Never really do. Not a Pro V guy.

I haven't tried the Chrome X yet. Hear they're pretty great but I hated the Chrome soft. So it would have to be very different.
Why did you hate Chrome Soft? I liked the softness and it spun comparably (or seemed to) most tour balls. It did fly pretty high, but that helped me stick greens with my lower spinning GI's. Now that I've got higher spinning MP54's perhaps I won't like the Chrome as much.

I've seen reviews on youtube showing Chrome X not really being any dif than Chrome regular. Main dif would be sound/feel.

I actually like clicky harder feeling balls. Especially off the driver. The chrome soft felt like a marshmallow to me.
Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

19

#20 spartY84

spartY84

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83055
  • Joined: 05/15/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Ok, that is the 2014 and the 2016 version of the B330...

...now, which TPX did you test?

The 2015 version, or the 2016 version?

Because a 2015-16 TPX does not exist.


2016's.

Are you sure?

Because you wrote 2015-16 TPX in your ranking, and assumed a 2014 B330 as an 2016 B330...

...maybe you could also show a picture, so that we can judge for our self - thanks!

Haha take it easy on the guy.  He wrote up a nice review on some balls and got a model year wrong on two nearly identical balls to the eye.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Uhit

Uhit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
  • Joined: 01/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Ok, that is the 2014 and the 2016 version of the B330...

...now, which TPX did you test?

The 2015 version, or the 2016 version?

Because a 2015-16 TPX does not exist.


2016's.

Are you sure?

Because you wrote 2015-16 TPX in your ranking, and assumed a 2014 B330 as an 2016 B330...

...maybe you could also show a picture, so that we can judge for our self - thanks!

Yeah I'm sure. I actually have both of them as well.

I'll tweak the write up. I was kind of rushing myself.

Have you ever done this test with your balls:

https://www.youtube....h?v=bbyb0DL22NE

I think it is a very good aid, for making the right decision.

21

#22 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 566

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 08 March 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 Z1ggy16, on 08 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Could you do some testing on the Chrome Soft X and new ProV1x?

I've actually never hit the XV but it's on my list to try as I've now tried everything else. I actually feel like the B330 does pretty well in the wind, it's one of the few balls that generally doesn't get knocked down as badly in severe headwinds. Could be for me because it launches lower than say the ProV's or other balls. However it was a spin machine off my driver... Could have been me that day though. I've found the chrome soft was the best all around ball for me, but I'm always looking to see if something else can outrank it.


I had some of the new Pro Vx test balls sent to me this year and they felt great off the irons but I didn't like them off the woods at all. Never really do. Not a Pro V guy.

I haven't tried the Chrome X yet. Hear they're pretty great but I hated the Chrome soft. So it would have to be very different.
Why did you hate Chrome Soft? I liked the softness and it spun comparably (or seemed to) most tour balls. It did fly pretty high, but that helped me stick greens with my lower spinning GI's. Now that I've got higher spinning MP54's perhaps I won't like the Chrome as much.

I've seen reviews on youtube showing Chrome X not really being any dif than Chrome regular. Main dif would be sound/feel.

I actually like clicky harder feeling balls. Especially off the driver. The chrome soft felt like a marshmallow to me.
That's what the super soft feels like. The Chrome felt soft, but still hard enough to actually be able to tell where you hit the ball from. To me 2015 Prov1x feels like a rock especially from single pieces of milled steel. On inserts it's not terrible, but I hate that clicky feel.
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid: JPX-850
Hybrid: 816H1
Irons: Rballz 5 & 6, Rbladez 7-PW
GW: RTX 3.0
SW: MD2
LW: RAC FE2O3  
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: Nike RZN Platinum
Bag: Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

  

22

#23 endy

endy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166935
  • Joined: 02/29/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'm guessing he said 2015-2016 TPX because that ball comprises those 2 years where nothing else came out. 2014 was the last TPX ball. Either way, great write up.
Taylormade M1 440 9.5* w/ Rogue Silver 60X
Taylormade AB YB w/ Diamana Prototype 83X
Titleist 585H 19* w/ ADDI 95X
Srixon Z945 4-PW w/ S300
Fourteen RM-22 RAW w/ TI S400 52/56/60
Taylormade Spider S
Srixon Z-Star XV

23

#24 coreyl

coreyl

    Hacker

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88286
  • Joined: 07/13/2009
  • Location:Little Rock ' ish
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

What is the visual difference between the '15 and the '16 TPX? Just for my own knowledge as I saw some on closeout and would like to know which I am looking at.

Between the '15 and the '16 TPX, which did you prefer and why?

24

#25 Uhit

Uhit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
  • Joined: 01/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

 spartY84, on 08 March 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

 scottaz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

these are the two different b330's. I just happen to have the three others laying on the ground while I was marking the 4th ball and took a shot.

Ok, that is the 2014 and the 2016 version of the B330...

...now, which TPX did you test?

The 2015 version, or the 2016 version?

Because a 2015-16 TPX does not exist.


2016's.

Are you sure?

Because you wrote 2015-16 TPX in your ranking, and assumed a 2014 B330 as an 2016 B330...

...maybe you could also show a picture, so that we can judge for our self - thanks!

Haha take it easy on the guy.  He wrote up a nice review on some balls and got a model year wrong on two nearly identical balls to the eye.

Such little mistakes can lead to huge miss-judgements and render a otherwise nice review worthless and misleading...
...beside, that the reliability, and maybe even the credibility, suffers.

P.S.:

He got not only one model year wrong...


25

#26 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

 coreyl, on 08 March 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

What is the visual difference between the '15 and the '16 TPX? Just for my own knowledge as I saw some on closeout and would like to know which I am looking at.

Between the '15 and the '16 TPX, which did you prefer and why?

2014 has < 2016 <<
Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

26

#27 Uhit

Uhit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
  • Joined: 01/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

 endy, on 08 March 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

I'm guessing he said 2015-2016 TPX because that ball comprises those 2 years where nothing else came out. 2014 was the last TPX ball. Either way, great write up.

Nope there was a 2014-15 TPX model, and a 2016 TPX model:

https://www.golfball..._webrelease.pdf

...and those models felt and behaved noticeably different.

27

#28 scottaz

scottaz

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217197
  • Joined: 12/22/2012
  • Location:Pa.
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

I think I cleaned it up.

In the end, the testing was done with the new TM, the new Srixon last years TM, this/last years B330 and the previous B330.

Hope that's more clear.
Callaway Epic SZ KK DC TX 70 tipped 1"
Callaway Steelhead xr 4+ Diamana D+ 82x tipped 1"
Callaway Apex 20 x100
Srixon z965 (pw-7) z765 ( 6-4) TI x100
Srixon z765 51/8 Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 56/11, 60/9 TI x100
Piretti Cortino 2

28

#29 endy

endy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166935
  • Joined: 02/29/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:10 PM

 Uhit, on 08 March 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

 endy, on 08 March 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

I'm guessing he said 2015-2016 TPX because that ball comprises those 2 years where nothing else came out. 2014 was the last TPX ball. Either way, great write up.

Nope there was a 2014-15 TPX model, and a 2016 TPX model:

https://www.golfball..._webrelease.pdf

...and those models felt and behaved noticeably different.

We are saying the same thing in a different way. Let's just say there was a TPX ball that came out in 2014 and one that came out in 2016. Yes, they are different balls. I didn't notice any behavior differences, however. Both very mild mannered.
Taylormade M1 440 9.5* w/ Rogue Silver 60X
Taylormade AB YB w/ Diamana Prototype 83X
Titleist 585H 19* w/ ADDI 95X
Srixon Z945 4-PW w/ S300
Fourteen RM-22 RAW w/ TI S400 52/56/60
Taylormade Spider S
Srixon Z-Star XV

29

#30 spartY84

spartY84

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83055
  • Joined: 05/15/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Quote

Such little mistakes can lead to huge miss-judgements and render a otherwise nice review worthless and misleading...
...beside, that the reliability, and maybe even the credibility, suffers.

P.S.:

He got not only one model year wrong...



I appreciate your passion for golf balls.  I own about 6 dozen too many.  The OP is giving an honest review of balls he's tested.  I'm fairly sure he's not getting paid for this so cut him some slack for giving his opinion.  This site would really suck if we can't do that.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors