Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

robrey85's 2017 goals and progress

goals 2017 goals 2017 progress practice practice makes perfect golf journey scratch future

145 replies to this topic

#61 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338617
  • Handicap:9.2
  • Ebay ID:b!ackdeathbe!ow
GolfWRX Likes : 862

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

thaar, on 28 April 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

robrey85, on 28 April 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

Updated my WITB!

I love the look of those ATMOS shafts. Unfortunately, they don't quite fit my swing as well as the Oban Devotion 8 and the Veylix Rome 988. I love the look of the Veylix shafts as well though, and will likely get a 19* hybrid with it.

Posted Image

I'd love to get the look of the middle shaft on my putter. I've never hit those shafts but they look damn sexy! What's the price range of those beauties?

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

sethdavidsdad, on 28 April 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

My putting strategy is pretty simple, practice really hard on 6' putts get to where you can make most 95% of your 6 footers. Then just get everything inside of 6 foot, putts and chips. Most people try to get things inside of 3 foot which is not realistic for long putts and chips/pitches. If you become really good at 6 foot putts it makes the lags easier and you don't add to the anxiety of putting by unrealistically trying for 3 foot circle. For me this actually took some of the stress off my putting and now I get my lags closer than before.

That's a good strategy. I'll have to do something like that to simplify my putting and run that by Andrew and see what his thoughts are. What drills did you do to get really good at 6 footers? I was thinking the around the world drill with 8+ putts and having to make them all in a row, etc...
Posted Image

#63 sethdavidsdad

sethdavidsdad

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105964
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 418

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

robrey85, on 28 April 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

sethdavidsdad, on 28 April 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

My putting strategy is pretty simple, practice really hard on 6' putts get to where you can make most 95% of your 6 footers. Then just get everything inside of 6 foot, putts and chips. Most people try to get things inside of 3 foot which is not realistic for long putts and chips/pitches. If you become really good at 6 foot putts it makes the lags easier and you don't add to the anxiety of putting by unrealistically trying for 3 foot circle. For me this actually took some of the stress off my putting and now I get my lags closer than before.

That's a good strategy. I'll have to do something like that to simplify my putting and run that by Andrew and see what his thoughts are. What drills did you do to get really good at 6 footers? I was thinking the around the world drill with 8+ putts and having to make them all in a row, etc...
I keep it real simple, If I'm working on my stroke just straight up hill 6 footers. Use a chalk line or a 5footer.com practice aid to make sure I'm lined up right, then it's just about putting stroke. No worrying about break or really speed. It's just stoke it 6 foot. Once I get my stroke to be real consistent and know all of the problems are with stroke and or line up are taken care of then I work each side of the hole. Find a cup that the break is a ball or two out on each side of the hole then practice 10-20 putts from 6 foot on each side. You will find you are better from one side or the other, then work harder on the weak side. Last thing I do is find a hole that is severe fast down hill putt. Find a strategy to deal with these putts. Me personally I'm more of a lagger when it comes to these putts, I don't want a 15-20 footer coming back. Sometimes I will hit them off the toe to help. I would rather miss a couple and not 3 putt than be aggressive. Some people are the opposite they charge them and make more but 3 putt more.
Epic 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X
TM Mini driver 14*
Rogue 5 Wood Diamana D+ X
Mizuno MP18's 4-5SC, 6-PW MB
Yes Callie
Vokeys SM6 52,56,60
WITB Link

#64 thaar

thaar

Best 3-putter in town!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
  • Handicap:Ugh
  • Ebay ID:thaar
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

robrey85, on 28 April 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

thaar, on 28 April 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

robrey85, on 28 April 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

Updated my WITB!

I love the look of those ATMOS shafts. Unfortunately, they don't quite fit my swing as well as the Oban Devotion 8 and the Veylix Rome 988. I love the look of the Veylix shafts as well though, and will likely get a 19* hybrid with it.

Posted Image

I'd love to get thelook of the middle shaft on my putter. I've never hit those shafts but they look damn sexy! What's the price range of those beauties?

I don't recall for sure, but I think they were close to the $200 mark.
Titleist 913D2 - Talamonti PD-70
TM Burner TP 3w - Matrix Ozik Code-7
TM Burner TP  5w - Mitsu Rayon Red Board
Callaway Steelhead XR 4h - Fujikura Speeder 865
Mizuno MP-15 Project X LZ 6.0
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56, 60
Edel E-1

#65 GC70

GC70

What's Next?

• 6,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2719

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

You can not go wrong with the Titleist HB's! Nice pick up!

Ping G400 9* Atmos Red 6S
XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
'17 M1 5-19* Kiyoshi Tour LTD 70s
P770 4-AW SteelFiber i95 S
RAW RTX-3 V-LG 54/58
Oworks Black 3T 33"
Pro V1x

WITB Link

#66 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

Unfortunately, I have to put my IT cert on hold. There are some matters that need to be taken care of before I can pursue that and it sucks but I talked it out with the wife and we decided it's the best thing to do for now. Which ultimately means, scratch is going to take a weeeeee bit longer.

Now for some positive notes!

I was invited to play in a 702 Industry scramble this past Monday so I decided to take the day off and play in it. Prior to the event I decided I was going to make the whole day a golf extravaganza day so I went to practice at The Legacy Golf Club which has a pretty solid practice area with a decent size short game area, two putting greens and a full size range. The bunker here is in awful condition though so I tend to stay out of it.

legacy_range.png

I spent the first hour and a half working on my putting. The first half hour or so I spent playing around with setup and different grips that I remember reading about in "The Putting Prescription" and trying to go back to the basics. After some experimentation of different grips, adding some lead tape to my putter head and figuring out if I want to lift my putter head off the ground to start my stroke, I decided to return back to the cross handed left hand low grip along with adding 6 grams of lead tape to my head to give me a d2-2.5 swing weight and start my stroke with lifting my putter head off the ground. With these changes, my putting felt so much more consistent! This was confirmed after I played the 3-6-9 putting game and made 6 of 9 putts (the goal is 7 of 9) and then I played a round of 18 putting holes of 10-40 and had my best round of putting I've ever had. I came out with an even par making one 10 footer and had one three putt from 40 feet.

The biggest differences I noticed with this change was my distance control was a hell of a lot better and my putter face was remaining square which allowed the 6 footers I would normally miss, to be made.

IMG_8443.JPG

IMG_8444.JPG

You can see the shoulders are slightly different as well.

After putting I went out to practice some short game for about 45 minutes to an hour, nothing really fantastic happened here. I took my A, 54 and 58 and just hit a variety of shots trying to do full pre-shot routine. I tried to take note of take away length and roll out length which definitely helped during the scramble as I made some pretty good short game shots (along with a couple of shanks, lol)

Lunch followed by 30 minutes of relaxation and food digestion.

Then I went out for about an hour to hit balls working on maintaining the feeling that I previously mentioned about not turning my body until around p2, while making my hand path go around my body a little bit more as opposed to going back and outward.

All in all, it was a productive day on Monday and I enjoyed just being able to go out and hang out at the course without having to play or practice. I haven't felt like that since the days I was a teenager just hanging around the arcade, haha.

So we played the scramble and we ended up winning the whole shebang via the fifth scorecard play off hole. We tied another team w/ 57 and so they went off the hardest handicap holes and we birdied the fifth one and they par'd the fifth one. Along with winning the scramble, I made my first Eagle! It sucks that it wasn't a stroke play round but we used all three of my shots on a 510 yard par five. There was about a 10mph wind with us on this hole. I bombed my tee shot to where we had 164 yards to the pin on the GPS but I played it as 156. Hit a solid 9i with a baby draw and ended up 9' from the pin and sunk the putt! (Thank you Legacy practice!) It was pretty exciting.

The prize we ended up getting was a $50 bottle of Gin, the one liquor I am not a fan of, lol. I'm gonna give it another whirl though and see if my taste buds have changed. The cool thing about the bottle is they engraved it for the champs.

IMG_8436.JPG

On to this week, since Monday with the exception of Tuesday, I've hit Legacy every morning before work. I've been trying to come up with a plan to figure out how to spread my time between short game, long game as well as putting and I think I've decided on doing an hour of short game and an hour of range time one day, then an hour of putting and an hour of range time the next and switching every day. Eventually, I'll probably switch it up to do less range time but because I'm still trying to get my full swing in order with Andrew's help, I need as much range time as I can get.

I feel like the only day worth mentioning was this morning. It was a productive day with my short game and range time. I really enjoy grabbing my 58/54/AW and just hitting a variety of shots. This morning I was practicing bump and runs with a putter stroke because I never use those and I think they'll be helpful with short sided just off the fringe shots. Just played around doing that most of the time but I always go in a half circle around the green. The one thing I noticed in the past few months is how much my short game is improved. Not necessarily, how many times I can get up and down, but more of much better my contact isand how much more often than not it is. I still have an occasional hosel rocket but no big deal. I know that doesn't sound like much but any improvement you can see, is better than none.

With my range time this morning, I was working keeping my arms connected with my body and turning through the ball instead of using my arms. I started with my PW and then changed to my 58 followed by a few drivers but I feel like just by hitting the entire bucket with this motion, helped tremendously. I'm excited to get to the range again on Sunday to continu where I left off. I'm also hoping tomorrows round goes well too!

Here's a vid of the move I was doing; if you look back at my older videos, the difference is clear as day:

I'm optimistic of the future!
Posted Image

#67 r34civic

r34civic

Fighting the two way miss

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36136
  • Ebay ID:cmoses0609
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Keep up the great work Rob! Me, you, and Andrew still need to get out and play. I'll be out at Shadow Creek tomorrow hacking it up.

#68 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

r34civic, on 05 May 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

Keep up the great work Rob! Me, you, and Andrew still need to get out and play. I'll be out at Shadow Creek tomorrow hacking it up.

Thanks man! Never played there but it looks pretty awesome! Just not $500 awesome, lol. Have fun man, we'll get out soon.

Edited by robrey85, 05 May 2017 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#69 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

In the last 12 days, I've practice and/or played 9 of those days. I am starting to feel like I don't have to rush to practice or get to the course 2 hours before my tee time to practice and I'm slowly understanding that my swing is in a pretty good spot if I stop trying to work on mechanics during the round and just play. I'm playing tomorrow morning at a course that the last time I played at, I shot a 77 but who knows what'll happen. I'm trying not to expect much as I had an epic melt down last weekend and I'm trying to temper my expectations but I'm hoping for the best and going to try and play strategically.

BIG NEWS! I've played some tournaments in the past but they've all been like Two Man Best Ball tournaments or some OB sports scramble tournaments. Never played an official SNGA tournament before and I just registered for my first SNGA tournament at Chimera GC, net division. Hopefully, I'll be able to report back some good news about placing well!
Posted Image

#70 GC70

GC70

What's Next?

• 6,056 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Good luck with the tournament, sounds like a great experience for you!

RAW RTX-3 V-LG 54/58
Oworks Black 3T 33"
Pro V1x

WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

A couple of things to update about, the first of which was my first encounter with SKYTRAK. I have to say, I really enjoyed playing with this unit. I didn't get to play any simulation golf yet, only the practice range and closest to the pin but I have to say, it was a blast and I would definitely consider getting one. As much as I dislike the $200/yr subscription cost, the enjoyment I got out of it, would outweigh that cost. Hopefully sometime in the future I can convince the wife to let me get one,  you know, since she wears the pants. :cheesy: It turns out that my buddy who has one lives pretty close to me in a pretty cool indoor setup and I'm hoping he'll want to do weekly sessions so I'll post more as I learn more about it.

Secondly, I ordered a sleeve of those OnCore Elixir balls just for the hell of it to test out and I did some putting and chipping around with them this morning during my practice session and they feel pretty good on the club face. Soft and bouncey. I'm curious to know how they'll play on the course but TBH, I highly doubt I will be considering this ball as an actual replacement for my gamer ball. The price point is what gets me. These are $40 a dozen but for $5 more (or a whole lot less because you can get smoking deals on the Bay for B330s) I can get B330's or two dozen Snells for $20 more. I'd be more likely to get a dozen if they were $30.

As of now, I'm not going to take them onto the course until after the tourney because my next round is a practice round for the tourney and need to play it as if it is the tourney. I plan to test them in play Memorial Day weekend to see how they compare to my gamer ball, Bridgestone B330 (on occasion, Snell MTB) so I will post up more later! Here's some pics of the balls and sleeve:

IMG_8612.JPG
IMG_8613.JPG
IMG_8614.JPG
IMG_8615.JPG
IMG_8616.JPG

Fancy!
Posted Image

#72 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

Welp! I've been working hard the past month on my game and I am finally beginning to see some consistency in my practice and on course. Last week, I sent Andrew a video of a drill I was doing but he wanted me to do it again and feel like, "my arms go limp and are just along for the ride." VERY interesting feel to say the least but holy hell, that's changed my ball striking like no bodies business. I'm more consistent, hitting the ball in the center of the face more and for the first time ever, I feel like I have "effortless power".

Every practice session I do, I am working on something with purpose. I'm no longer just hitting balls to hit balls.

I've been doing a lot of stick drills like this lately:

The main purpose is to really get my body used to having an external rotation and shallowing out the club in the downswing as opposed to what I have been doing, a internal rotation over-the-top move steeping the shaft. Along with that, the stick will remind me how I should be taking the club away to ensure head travels over hands (seen in DTL) and lastly, it'll allow me to only swing so hard because it's going to slap me in my side. Doing this plus alternating without the stick, trying to incorporate it into my swing is a tough task, but with enough reps, it'll come.

Along with the above stick drill, I'm doing some freezers (seen below) trying to maintain that limp feeling and letting my lower body do most of the work. Today, it was mostly with the driver but I am making an effort to switch my club every time. Driver, 8 iron, wedge, etc..while incorporating my full routine in hopes that that'll help me be able to take my +10 range game to my 11.4 course game, lol.

To confirm what I am seeing and doing on the range, yesterday, I saw my best notable round of golf since August of last year. I had a legitimate chance to shoot a sub-80 score and quite honestly, I should have been in the low-70s. I lipped out so many putts, neither of us could buy a putt to save our life. Anyway, in preparation for the Chimera tournament on Thursday, I switched hours with my office manager and got out to the course with my buddy who oddly enough, I am paired with in the tourney. Starting on 10, I went single, double, par, double and finished the front nine with a single making that 42. I made some really good par saves though, the most notable one was on a Par 4, 14 where I hit 3 wood on top of a hill into the dirt where it ended up unplayable in a bush. I took my penalty drop in the dirt, and managed to hit a great shot from 146 out to 12 feet or so and made the putt. The backside, I played much much better. More to what I feel like my capabilities are. I was E until the 5th, where I three putt bogey'd and was on the fringe in two on the next par 5 but I couldn't get up and down for the birdie. After this hole, I started realizing where I was with my score and started to get nervous. I managed to Par 7 and 8, narrowly missing birdie putts by kissing the cup and then here's where I wish I knew the rules a little bit. I tee'd off on 9 with my DECADE thought process and used a 4i to avoid all the trouble but leaving myself a 9 instead of what could potentially be a 70 yard shot. I'm center fairway where I have to clear water at 141, but the pin is front so I don't want to go more than 158. I take my 9, make some solid contact but pushed right of the green, landing short of the bunker. We roll up to the green and there's a crap ton of geese grazing around the green and before my shot, I shoo'd them out of the way but they kept coming back so I said, okay, I'll just hit over them. Welp, I ended up hitting and one walked right into the way, grunted and looked at my like I was the a**hole, hahah. I failed to get up and down for par to shoot 79, instead, I shot 80 on the dot.

Here's where I didn't realize the rules said I could retake the shot if it hit an "outside agent" (or so says my cart barn buddy at Legacy). Anyone confirm if that's right? Haha. If I had known, that would have been an uplifting moment.

All being said and done, I was pretty disappointed about ending up with a bogey on the final hole to shoot 80 on the dot but it really shows where my game is headed. The biggest take away about yesterday, is I need to get my tee game in control. I easily lost about three or four shots off the tee due to my inability to keep the ball in play. It was a disaster and combined with the four birdie putts I lipped out, that could have easily been my best round ever.

This Sunday, I'm excited to say that Andrew and I have a practice/tinkering sesh planned so I'm hoping we both can figure out some stuff about our equipment and game!

And for those who aren't able to see my IG and who read on all that; here's some entertainment:

IMG_8590.PNG
IMG_8610.JPG
IMG_8528.png
IMG_8581.png

Edited by robrey85, 23 May 2017 - 03:52 PM.

Posted Image

#73 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

And one more since I had too many media files in the last post:

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Haha, this was at Taylormade Experience a few weeks ago.
Posted Image

#74 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

OH! and my handicap index is trending down for the first time since August after yesterday's round, lol. Gfg.
Posted Image

#75 thaar

thaar

Best 3-putter in town!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
  • Handicap:Ugh
  • Ebay ID:thaar
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

Nice Rob! Keep up the good work!

Titleist 913D2 - Talamonti PD-70
TM Burner TP 3w - Matrix Ozik Code-7
TM Burner TP  5w - Mitsu Rayon Red Board
Callaway Steelhead XR 4h - Fujikura Speeder 865
Mizuno MP-15 Project X LZ 6.0
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56, 60
Edel E-1

#76 r34civic

r34civic

Fighting the two way miss

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36136
  • Ebay ID:cmoses0609
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

Keep up the great work! Good luck on Thursday too!!

#77 GC70

GC70

What's Next?

• 6,056 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

You the man! Keep it up and you'll be giving Drew and his inferior clubs strokes! ;)
RAW RTX-3 V-LG 54/58
Oworks Black 3T 33"
Pro V1x

WITB Link

#78 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Welp! I played in my first official SNGA tournament yesterday and I ended up getting 8th place in gross net and 13th in net shooting an 88. I'm not displeased with my round but I'm not pleased either, haha. A few things to note, I really tried all morning to just take my time with everything I did, related and unrelated to golf so as to not feel rushed when I got to the tourney. While driving across town to run an errand, my engine light on my truck came on so I had to really manage my stresses to make sure my truck didn't die on me, find a ride to the tournament and continue my routine. Well, it worked out but I forgot my GPS at home that I planned to use at the tourney so couple that, with tournament nerves as well as 25mph constant winds with 40+ mph gusts, walking six of eighteen holes and having my caddy bail on me because he couldn't handle it and you have my round, lol. Not really according to plan...lol.

My goal was to shoot current handicap par which was +13 or 85, because I thought that is what they were going to give me strokes based on. As it turns out, they gave me strokes based on my lowest handicap of 6.5 which I have not played anywhere near for a good 10 months or so, so given the circumstances I did okay. I did learn a few things though. The first of which, having a caddy was pointless. The next time I play in a SNGA tournament, it'll be better to just ride in the cart as if it's a normal round. Walking with my caddy (not to mention, I'm pretty sure we were the only ones working as a team) is so far out of what I normally do because Vegas courses just aren't made to be walked that this caused me to stray from my normal routine. That and my brother being a preacher instead of a caddy, contibuted to me starting out double, double, single, double, par, par. The second thing I learned, is to prep the night before instead of the day of, charge everything I need the night before and put everything in my bag. I dropped the ball in forgetting my GPS here and I could have played so much better with it because of the information it provides me everywhere tee to green. Lastly, my competition swing and my "Saturday afternoon round with buddies and $5 on the line" swing, are totally different and I have a long way to go til those mesh.

Andrew has given me some great encouragement, he likes what he sees and where things are headed so all I can do going forward, is put in more effort to improve and go from there.
Posted Image

#79 GC70

GC70

What's Next?

• 6,056 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

Maybe Drew should've prepared you before the round! I blame Drew! ;) nice job in hanging in their and turning it around. Tournament golf is whole different animal. You're out of your comfort zone a lot.
RAW RTX-3 V-LG 54/58
Oworks Black 3T 33"
Pro V1x

WITB Link

#80 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious

• 2,706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285110
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 3037

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

GC70, on 26 May 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Maybe Drew should've prepared you before the round! I blame Drew! ;) nice job in hanging in their and turning it around. Tournament golf is whole different animal. You're out of your comfort zone a lot.

Given the high winds, 5+ hour pace, first real tourney nerves, lost GPS, and new mechanics (heck of a combination), I was impressed when he told me his score! Things are trending in the right direction!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
2016 M2 5w (Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70x)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x/Snell MTB

OnlineGolfTour Stats: http://www.simulatio...e.html?id=16001

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

View Postdrewtaylor21, on 26 May 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

View PostGC70, on 26 May 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Given the high winds, 5+ hour pace, first real tourney nerves, lost GPS, and new mechanics (heck of a combination), I was impressed when he told me his score! Things are trending in the right direction!

Oh yeah! I forgot about the pace, haha. Legit though, I felt like I had no idea what I was doing with my swing. The golfer who played that course on Monday and the one who played yesterday were two totally different people. Plus the amount of negativity I had in my brain yesterday versus Monday, was night and day.
Posted Image

#82 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious

• 2,706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285110
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 3037

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

View Postrobrey85, on 26 May 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

View Postdrewtaylor21, on 26 May 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

View PostGC70, on 26 May 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Oh yeah! I forgot about the pace, haha. Legit though, I felt like I had no idea what I was doing with my swing. The golfer who played that course on Monday and the one who played yesterday were two totally different people. Plus the amount of negativity I had in my brain yesterday versus Monday, was night and day.

Like George said, tournament golf is an entirely different beast! They really are 2 different games, golf and tourney golf.  The more events you enter, the easier it gets to think and play the same way under pressure as in a casual round.  That's when it starts to get really fun, IMO!
Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
2016 M2 5w (Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70x)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x/Snell MTB

OnlineGolfTour Stats: http://www.simulatio...e.html?id=16001

#83 GC70

GC70

What's Next?

• 6,056 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

Rob,
I get out of my comfort zone playing with people I don't know! I don't play like I do with my normal group. So before my match play and club champions I'd go up to the course as a single so I'd have to play with strangers. Another thing I do with my normal group is I'll only take half my strokes I should. So if I'm supposed to get 4 I'll take one a side. I never play with out money on the line. It makes me stay focused and those knee knocker 4' harder. I wish I could tell you it gets easier, but it doesn't. Butterflies and jitters are good, it shows you care!

Keep plugging away, your swing is looking really good! Your lucky to have a guy like Drew to help you out.

I can't wait for the day you kick his a$$!

FYI I will not be giving you extra strokes when I show up in sin city!
RAW RTX-3 V-LG 54/58
Oworks Black 3T 33"
Pro V1x

WITB Link

#84 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

View PostGC70, on 26 May 2017 - 10:57 PM, said:

Rob,
I get out of my comfort zone playing with people I don't know! I don't play like I do with my normal group. So before my match play and club champions I'd go up to the course as a single so I'd have to play with strangers. Another thing I do with my normal group is I'll only take half my strokes I should. So if I'm supposed to get 4 I'll take one a side. I never play with out money on the line. It makes me stay focused and those knee knocker 4' harder. I wish I could tell you it gets easier, but it doesn't. Butterflies and jitters are good, it shows you care!

Keep plugging away, your swing is looking really good! Your lucky to have a guy like Drew to help you out.

I can't wait for the day you kick his a$$!

FYI I will not be giving you extra strokes when I show up in sin city!

I was actually considering doing that with my normal group now that I know they go based off my lowest index. I'd start by getting three quarters of the strokes I normally would and go from there, haha.

I'm fine with strangers, honestly, I think I focus more because if I play with strangers, it means I'm not necessarily required to be social. I think the next SNGA tournament I'm gonna shoot for is gonna be June 30th @ Reflection Bay followed by August 16th at Arroyo GC. Plenty of time to practice until then!
Posted Image

#85 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

Whooooaaaa. I played 36 holes today and I gotta say, I saw some good things but I still need a lot of practice. I played Legacy GC, from the tips, nice 7200+ yards 74 rating and 139 slope. Aside from not being able to putt and having 40 putts, I shot an 86. Beautiful weather with decent course conditions, although the greens were a little bunk. I saw some good short game play and iron shots but it was random. If I was on on distance control, I was completely off on line. If I was on line, I would be long or short. It was a little annoying, but I had some good shots.

Afterwards, we drove out to Las Vegas Golf Club and played another 18 there and I saw some solid improvement over this morning and what I have been seeing on the course. Another confirmation of my range practice trending in the right direction. The biggest issue with today was my driving and putting. This scorecard shows it:

IMG_8694.JPG

I will say that yesterday, Andrew and I practiced and did some equipment testing and my putter might have to be benched because the lag putting is garbage and my setup is garbage. No idea what I'm gonna do but we'll see what the future holds. The other thing that I did was try and get a feel for my spread of worst left shot to worst right shot. It turned out to be approximately 103yards which is pretty bad but today, I can tell you it was so much better than that. However, going forward, I will be using the DECADE driving idea based off my current speed and hopefully it'll improve as my swing improves.

Posted Image

#86 GC70

GC70

What's Next?

• 6,056 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Nice! What does mental mean?
RAW RTX-3 V-LG 54/58
Oworks Black 3T 33"
Pro V1x

WITB Link

#87 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostGC70, on 30 May 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

It's whether or not you went through the full pre-shot pyramid routine of calculate, create and execute per Doc Lardon's book "Mastering Golfs Mental Game"

Check out this link for more info: http://drlardon.com/...ce-development/

It's really a good addition for anyone to have to improve your mental focus and accept the results of whatever shot you hit are. It's definitely not easy but when you get to the point of being able to do 95+ consistently, you'll notice a trend in your scores lowering as well. 94% is my highest I've ever had. I average about 85% so this is a good sign.
Posted Image

#88 GC70

GC70

What's Next?

• 6,056 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

View Postrobrey85, on 30 May 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

View PostGC70, on 30 May 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

It's whether or not you went through the full pre-shot pyramid routine of calculate, create and execute per Doc Lardon's book "Mastering Golfs Mental Game"

Check out this link for more info: http://drlardon.com/...ce-development/

It's really a good addition for anyone to have to improve your mental focus and accept the results of whatever shot you hit are. It's definitely not easy but when you get to the point of being able to do 95+ consistently, you'll notice a trend in your scores lowering as well. 94% is my highest I've ever had. I average about 85% so this is a good sign.

Focus, I'm probably at like 50%! I can't stay focused for the life of me. I'm always thinking what I have to do after my round, mow the lawn, pick up the kid , what time is hockey, and what time is the game on tonight.

Crap what were we talking about!

See no focus.
RAW RTX-3 V-LG 54/58
Oworks Black 3T 33"
Pro V1x

WITB Link

#89 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

Drew and I were playing on the FS last weekend and my dispersion currently was around 103 left to right with my average being 10 yards to the right. My average carry was 260 and my max carry was 276 (I must get a lot of roll on the golf course). Although my swing is still a WIP, this is a good baseline to start with.

Here's the data Drew extracted for me from FS:
imagejpeg_0.jpg

It'll be exciting to see how this will translate to my scores along with everything else I'm doing to improve right now.

I ended up using about a 90 yard dispersion after talking with Drew and man! It couldn't have been more spot on. The 17th hole I hit a huge push slice off the tee and had I not had the room to miss, it would have been in the houses, no doubt. But lo and behold, thanks to SCOTTY! (who does in fact know, as quiet as it's kept) it ended up in the 18th fairway, haha.

Anyway, yesterday, drewtaylor21 and I played Rhodes Ranch GC and for the first time I decided to use and stick to the DECADE tee strategy for the entire round. I took the time on Friday to write down my DECADE tee strategy based on the aforementioned data we got off FS and it was interesting to say the least. The clubs that are circle next to their respective holes are what I ended up using due to conditions.

decade.png

Let me first say that it was a constant 20mph today and I'm typically an awful wind player, although I've been improving, using this new strategy was both a positive and a negative.

First the positive: I hit 9/14 fairways nor did I lose a single ball off the tee. Typically I lose one or two, sometimes three off the tee so this was easily worth a few shots.

The negative; although I flubbed a few tee shots, I think two or three four irons and hit a few 5 woods off the toe, plus the wind, my average approach shot was 183.9 yards. A lot of my irons were great with regards to distance control but my start line was left left left left, all day for my approach shots. So I didn't hit squat for greens. I have 2 official GIRs and 3 unofficial (had to pitch out from under a tree).

Some thoughts on what I saw: Drew makes a good point that the average approach would have been closer to 150 or so if I didn't biff those few 4i/5w tee shots, which I do agree and that makes me want to continue trying it but with that said I really didn't feel that I could attack anything with this strategy on the Par 5's yet because on all but one I used a 5w. It's going to be sometime before I get to play more aggressive like a FULL ELITE DECADE player would play because my driving is garbage. Scott definitely makes the higher handicap player play more conservative it seems that in hopes that is iron/short game/putting game can be better. I'm REALLY curious as to how he approaches those and it makes me want to buy it but I have other equipment changes I'm trying to tinker with.

decade_scorecard.png
--

Yesterday, my putting was 100x better too. Partly due to two changes I made:

The first of which was me going from the GP SNSR 140CC Pistol to the FAT Flat Cat grip.
IMG_8723.JPG
It doesn't look the prettiest but man, it's awesome. I was putting pretty good inside ten feet. Also saved a few three putts with it. The difference between my old putter grip and this is about 40 grams. My putter went from D0 to about D6-8 somewhere around there, I forgot the conversion, but it feels so much better. My stroke even improved in fluidity.

The other change I incorporated was that I arrived about an hour and a half prior to the start of the round and spent about half an hour doing a new putting preparation routine.

I picked two holes, one up hill and one down hill. Walked off a 20, 30 and 40 footer from one hole, and did the same with the other hole. Then I started at the 20 and then went down the line and back up the line continuously.

I had a teacher one time who wanted me to play a similar game but it was 4, 8 and 12 feet. You play 18 holes and try to shoot even par. I forgot how to score it, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I'm going to definitely start doing this more often because my putting needs a complete overhaul.

Edited by robrey85, 05 June 2017 - 05:02 PM.

Posted Image

#90 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,032 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

Welp! Monday's practice was a rough practice day. A few other things happened that made it a rough day but with that being said, I decided to tinker with soft stepping my X100s. I have been shortening my backswing and transition to using more hips than arms and they're getting fairly difficult to load and feel something. I've been hitting my s400 wedges really solid though so tinkering with soft stepping g my x100s once and if it still feels too rough, I'm gonna do it twice in hopes that I can get more of an s400 feel.

Put my first set of clubs together tonight by doing this! It was exciting but definitely made me think and focus on what I was doing. I probably wouldn't have decided to tinker with soft stepping if I had to pay someone to pull my clubs apart and swap shafts. It's super convenient to be able to do my own club work. I just need to get one of those pressurized grip savers next to remove my grips and save them.

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

robrey85

GolfWRX Sponsors