Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

robrey85's 2017 goals and progress

goals 2017 goals 2017 progress practice practice makes perfect golf journey scratch future

147 replies to this topic

#1 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338617
  • Ebay ID:b!ackdeathbe!ow
GolfWRX Likes : 867

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

I recently entered the contest to get to go to the Kingdom, not sure if they've picked anyone yet but it's prompted me to really think about my goals and what I want for 2017.

A little about me to begin is that I'm 31, married and I currently work a 9-5 job in the insurance industry. I played around with some junior golf at SNJGA back in the day when I was 9 years old but really didn't stick with it because I chose baseball, which I didn't stick with either, haha.

IMG_5332.JPG
Jun 94'

IMG_5333.PNG
​Jun 94'

While cycling in 2011, I met a dude who played golf on occasion with his dad and we got to talking about SNJGA and golf in general, which eventually led to us going out to our local night lit Par 3 Course, Angel Park Cloud Nine and playing a night round in December. Needless to say, I immediately caught the bug.

By mid January, I had my own set of clubs and got to playing pretty much once a week, sometimes twice and when on vacation three or four times a week. I couldn't stop thinking about golf. It took me two months to break 100 the first time but then I didn't do it again until September of 2012. Practicing very little and playing once a week most weeks, my progress was pretty slow I didn't start shooting in the 90s regularly until about May of 2013 with a once in awhile round still in the triple digits. I took a lesson or two from a guy I randomly met at Taylormade Experience here in town but quickly stopped going because I wasn't a fan of what he was teaching versus what I was reading, probably a dumb thing to do from some points of views but just what I felt like was the right thing to do. I also broke 90 for the first time that same month and shot the best round equivalent to a 9 index in July of that same year when I was roughly a 16-17 index. From that time to around March of 16, my game was either there and I was shooting low 80s to non-existent to where I was shooting in the triple digits again.

In October of 14, I convinced the better half to let me build a driving range cage in the backyard so I could hit more balls which was fantastic! You can see it here: http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry10384861 I used that thing like crazy and now I'm trying to convince her to let me get a launch monitor with little success, haha.

I finally got something together to where I broke 80 the first time in June of 16 and broke it a few more times until August of 16 when I shot a 77 (+6) a fairly difficult course, mainly because of the greens always being fast and hard. That was followed me not being able to string together a round from August to October with my best round being an 83 (+11). Being frustrated, I started taking lessons from Jeff Gallagher, a former PGA Touring player and a overall really good dude. His simplistic style of teaching has helped me tone my game and offset my WRXer analytical mind but it's still a work in progress and now we are up to date.

Drew(drewtaylor21) and I have developed a pretty good friendship since we've met and have been talking golf as well as our games more than I've ever been able to talk to anyone about it because he's as obsessed as I am and it's really been making me think about my golf goals. Especially seeing him so well oriented with what he's trying to do and everything. We really become who we associate ourselves with and it's been evident to me, hanging with him.

We've all had those random quizzes that ask about the goals of our golf game to be entered into a contest but I've never taken as much time and laid out my goals like I did in this post from the Kingdom entry form. It took me about an hour to complete.

robrey85 on 31 January 2017 - 07:20 AM said:

• A GolfWRX member in good standing I have had my fair share of issues but without that, I wouldn't be human.
  • Ready and willing to achieve your 2017 golf goals with the help of TaylorMade Golf Amen!
  • In a post below, include:
    • ​Current USGA handicap 9.4
    • State the goals for your golf game in 2017
      • The ultimate goal is to attain an index of 0.0.
      • Along the way I have set mini goals the first of which is tracking my stats and actually using that data to practice.
        • For far too long I have tracked stats on TheGrint and never used any of it. I've wondered to myself lately, "what's the point?" So with the help of drewtaylor21, I established a paper and excel way of tracking my stats. After just three rounds of doing this, I can see that most of my approach shots are in the 100-150 range. So I should go out and practice shots of that yardage to likely increase my GIR count.
      • Another goal which plays off the previous goal is to increase the amount of GIRs I get on average. Currently, my average GIR per round based off three rounds is 5.67. If I can double that amount to average near 11. That's potentially an additional 5.33 more opportunities to birdie if not two putt as opposed to trying to get up and down to save par, bogey or double+.
      • Yet another goal that feeds off of last goal is to improve my distance control in putting and reduce the amount of three putts I average in any given round.
        • Based off three rounds I have 11 three putts. !!! That averages 3.67 per round. If I can drop those down to two putts that almost four strokes that I can drop from my cap. Then depending on proximity to hole, I may or may not be able to one putt one or two of those potential four strokes making the gain 5-6 strokes!
      • Which leads me to my next goal of accumulating an accurate average proximity to the hole of my scrambling shots and practicing those putts.
        • Using my data sheet and the three rounds I've compiled my average proximity to the hole when I'm scrambling is 12.18'. My average scrambling % made is 33.33% of 24 total attempts making the scrambling number made 7.99. If I can increase that to even just 50%, that's an additional 4 strokes I can save by getting up and down taking my number up to 12.
      • Although it's not golf related per say, but it technically is and it's the most essential mini goal of the year to boost me towards the ultimate goal. I'm in the process of career transition which will change my work hours and in turn allow me to practice and play almost daily. This is the hardest of all of my goals to attain, not because it's actually hard but because emotionally, I'm scared that it won't work out and I'll have lost the trust and loyalty that I've earned at my current job of 11.5 years.  
        • All these mini goals are essential to attaining the ultimate goal and without them, the likelihood of actually achieving said ultimate goal is virtually non-existent.

o Favorite/least favorite club in your bag My favorite club in my bag would have to be my RSi2 irons, minus the 4 and 5. I'm not a huge fan of how hard the long irons feel. The least favorite club in my bag is my worst club in the bag, my 16 M1 9.5 with HZRDUS Black driver.

o Which new club excites you the most in ‘17 The M1 440. I've heard great things about distance and forgiveness along with feel and spin. I also can't help but to feel that a smaller head might help me hit center more often because I hit my M2 3/5 woods so much better than I do my driver.

• State why you'd want to attend this exclusive opportunity to be fit at TaylorMade Golf Last November I started getting coaching and lessons twice a month from Former PGA Tour player and Taylormade staffer, Jeff Gallagher. We started off with some introductory work with my swing and what we want to accomplish. He took some videos and made some comments and then we were off. We've worked mostly on my iron game and the improvement is mind boggling but there's still work needed as it can always be better. The next thing we touched on was my short game, he asked me to hit some chips so he could see my style and technique and immediately, he gave me some feedback which helped tremendously with contact and consistency. The last thing we worked on is my driver, this by far has been the most difficult to overcome. We've mutually agreed that my confidence in my driving game is nil. We went as far as putting the FocusBand on me to see if maybe it was a problem of concentration and it clearly was not. It's been twelve weeks since we began working together and as much as my iron play and short game have improved, my long game is still in disarray. While we are still working on the long game, I believe my woes are due to ill fitted clubs in this particular area. With the help of my golf coach Jeff, the plan we have and what I hope the TMag fitting would accomplish, I am looking forward to attaining my 2017 ultimate goal of hitting that illustrious scratch index.

Piggy backing off of this, in 2016, I had some goals, the main one that was achieved was to be a sub 10 index and the second one was to shoot a sub-80 score, the third one was after I hit the sub 10 and it was to get my index to sub 5 which came close, but didn't happen. My lowest index was achieved in August at 6.5. Now the ultimate goal as seen above is to be scratch. Again, talking with Drew, he made it clear that my " borderline dream come true" of having a 6:30AM-2:30PM work schedule and playing/practicing almost daily could be achieved.

Immediately, I got to work on the secondary main goal of 2017, transitioning my career to IT. By far, the scariest thing I will have to do this year. I've been in the insurance industry since 2005 when I randomly stumbled into my Allstate LSP career, been here ever since. I've got so much loyalty for my boss and coworker and we're family more than coworkers and that is why it's so scary for me. With that being said though, I really feel like I am ready for the next phase of life and that is what I have to remember.

Here's a look at my swing from sometime in Jun of 2014:

Then my most recent swing which was Feb 12th 2017:

After re-reading and re-editing this post, the main goal is to become a certified IT technician. That process has been started as I'm now currently studying for that test that I have schedule for next month. I have dedicated myself to using my Google calendar to make sure I can split my time and know when I have free time and know when I don't. It helps tremendously but two months of studying may not be enough so I may end up rescheduling it for a later date but making sure I schedule a date so I can keep up on my study schedule.

Then as a secondary goal to make sure my game stays fresh and also with the eyes of my coach Jeff and more so Drew right now since I'm going to take a break of lessons and focus on my studies and Drew offered to help me out, I'm going back to the basics to work on my take away and to also shorten my back back swing to reverse my "arm over run". I'd never heard this term before but it is where my shoulders stop turning but my arms continue. We all feel that a flawed take away leads to a flawed transition and downswing. So with working on a one piece take away I can stop the bowing of my hands coming outward and by shortening my back swing, I can stop the arm overrun, along with early wrist hinge and get in a better position with a square club face at the top of my back swing as opposed to a laid off open face where I am screwed.

Luckily, I have a full size mirror in my wifes Yoga/Dance room to help with mirror work...

IMG_7747.PNG

...and my backyard so I can make sure I'm working on movements and then go outside and test them and come back and keep at it. Right now I have about thirty minutes in the morning left to spare where I can dedicate to some golf practice starting this week so that's the plan! Until I can solidify this take away and shorter back swing, I'm going to work on nothing else.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to what 2017 has in store for me.

Edited by robrey85, 23 February 2017 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 r34civic

r34civic

Fighting the two way miss

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36136
  • Ebay ID:cmoses0609
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

Good luck on your journey Rob! We still need to meet up and get a round in since I bailed on you and Andrew. I too have very similar goals and am looking forward to good things working with Jeff. Perhaps we can help each other out as well!

#3 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

View Postr34civic, on 23 February 2017 - 03:13 PM, said:

Good luck on your journey Rob! We still need to meet up and get a round in since I bailed on you and Andrew. I too have very similar goals and am looking forward to good things working with Jeff. Perhaps we can help each other out as well!

Thanks man! We'll get out there eventually.
Posted Image

#4 drewtaylor21

drewtaylor21

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious

• 2,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285110
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 3125

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Looking forward to seeing where this year takes you dude!
Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x/Snell MTB

OnlineGolfTour Stats: http://www.simulatio...e.html?id=16001

#5 thaar

thaar

Best 3-putter in town!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
  • Handicap:Ugh
  • Ebay ID:thaar
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

Love these threads and have enjoyed both you and Drew's posts. Looking forward to following this journey! I think it will help keep me motivated as well.

Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

#6 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:01 PM

View Postthaar, on 23 February 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

Love these threads and have enjoyed both you and Drew's posts. Looking forward to following this journey! I think it will help keep me motivated as well.

Thanks man! Yeah, it'll definitely help to keep myself accountable on reaching my goals or not reaching them and lay out a reason why I did or didn't reach said goals. I also really like the way Drew put it the other night when we were talking as it's a great way to "journal" your progress.
Posted Image

#7 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

It's been about a week since I've made this thread but about two or three weeks since I started doing some mirror work with Andrew's help and I must say, the difference is very clear.

With regards to my swing the two things I've been working on have been:

1) Take away, no bowing of the wrists (seen in my latest swing video), more of a one piece take away
2) Shortening of my back swing to rid myself of the "arm over run" I have been doing.

I touched on arm over run on my OP but here's a video clearly showing what I am talking about. Watch how my shoulders stop turning buy my arms continue moving up causing that wrist hinge disaster at the top.

Anyway, if you watch my latest swing in the OP and compare it to this DTL video, you'll see the take away is just night and day and who knew it'd be that easy to change when you focused on just one thing, for X hours. Not that I am a pro but I'm definitely doing it without thinking about it, more often than not.

Super clear, I'm happy about that because that means I'm on the right track.
Posted Image

#8 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

Too many media files so had to do a second post.

To continue on...

Along with mirror work I also try to take a few minutes every so often to just walk outside and take a few swings with the camera on me to get verification that I'm shortening my swing. It's so damn weird to do a shorter swing and use it as my full swing. It literally feels like I'm doing a 9/3 swing. I still feel that way and I'm sure I will continue to feel that way for a good bit, haha. The one thing I'm glad about is it's getting easier to do without worrying too much about it. Here's the latest video I took last night (pardon the incomplete swing, I cut it at the wrong spot and didn't realize it til it was too late):

And if you compare the difference between this video and the arm over run video this is what you'll see:

IMG_7896.PNG

I mean, night and day, literally. :cheesy:

I'm optimistic about where this is headed and I really can't wait to get there as I am tired of playing inconsistent and frankly, like dog crap. The grind continues!

Apart from my golf game, I've also been working on my DIY garage work bench which I plan to use to do my own club work eventually and also general purpose. It's exciting, it's really encouraged me to want to do things around my house that I have been putting off that require a handyman because I don't consider myself to be a handyman. But now that I know I have the ability to do the research and follow directions to create something relatively nice, I am more willing to put myself out there and give it a go. Here's the thread I have in case anyone else is interested in building their own work bench:  http://www.golfwrx.c...-workbench-wip/
Posted Image

#9 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

So with the help of drewtaylor21's expert tutelage, I've been continuing to work on the take away with an additional aid of my alignment aid pro zip tied to my club because I can't stand it moving all around in my hands, haha.

IMG_7971.JPG

During the session, after numerous videos of myself to check on things I may or may not be doing, I theorized that I wasn't "turning to the top" like Andrew had mentioned. To test my theory, I tried two different feelings and motion on camera and it's clear which one is the motion of "turning to the top" and which one is just moving my arms upward to the top.

EDIT: I'd like to add that in doing the "turning to the top" motion, I felt like I was as flat as Kuch is on a regular basis, super crazy weird feeling, haha.

IMG_7968.JPG

To me, this is a big step in gaining consistency because from this position at the top, I can literally just turn my left knee toward the target and let my hands fall into impact. It's interesting to say the least. The downside is that I have to do these motions really slow without using my alignment aid to ensure accurate repetition. No worries, I just have to work on some major reps with the mirror to get my muscle memory solidified.

Progress!

Edited by robrey85, 07 March 2017 - 10:56 PM.

Posted Image

#10 PepsiDuck

PepsiDuck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27419
GolfWRX Likes : 620

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:28 PM

You have two and a half weeks to have this all figured out.

TaylorMade M2 (2017) 10.5* - Aldila Synergy Black 70TX
TaylorMade M2 (2017) Tour 15*  - Fujikura Motore Speeder 757 X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura CB57 4-P - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Miura Series 1957 Wedges - 51* (Y), 56* (K) - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 3.0 60*
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

View PostPepsiDuck, on 07 March 2017 - 11:28 PM, said:

You have two and a half weeks to have this all figured out.

Just bring enough money to play $100 a hole with $1000 hole in ones on the side. :rofl:

Edited by robrey85, 08 March 2017 - 11:42 AM.

Posted Image

#12 GC70

GC70

What's Next?

• 6,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2873

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

Nice thread Robrey85! Looking good! Keep up the work. I'm sure playing with Drew will push you.
G400 Max 9* Atmos Blue 6S
XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
TESTING
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link

#13 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

View PostGC70, on 08 March 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

Nice thread Robrey85! Looking good! Keep up the work. I'm sure playing with Drew will push you.

Haha! Thanks man, yeah, just talking to the guy pushes me!
Posted Image

#14 Albatross85

Albatross85

The straightest hitters in golf don't hit it straight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 268050
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1661

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Earlier wrist set will help arm overrun. One piece makes it harder to stop b/c your mind needs to feel your wrists set before your arms will actually stop. A big help for me to shorten up was to feel like i keep my right arm straight in the back swing.

That 4i dtl video is funny, i just played that course in October and that range had just been built. I hit balls into that same net.
Titleist TS3 8.5* Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D3
TM Tour Issue 16' M2 14.5* Tensei Pro White 80TX proto 42.75" D4
Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi #2 17.5* Handcrafted HZRDUS 105 6.5 39.75" D4
Titleist 712U 4 iron C-taper S+ 125 D4
Wilson FG Tour V6 5-Pw PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D3.5 off 46* PW
SM6 50.12F PX LZ 6.5 + 3/8"" D6
SM6 56.08M Raw DG TI Onyx S400 +1/4" D7
Vokey TVD TX3 Black 61.09M DG TI Onyx S400 +3/8"" D7
Odyssey Tour Only Jailbird Versa Plumbers Neck w/ White Hot Pro insert
Bridgestone Tour B XS
WITB Link

#15 Dave D

Dave D

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1420

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

View Postrobrey85, on 07 March 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

So with the help of drewtaylor21's expert tutelage, I've been continuing to work on the take away with an additional aid of my alignment aid pro zip tied to my club because I can't stand it moving all around in my hands, haha.

Attachment IMG_7971.JPG

During the session, after numerous videos of myself to check on things I may or may not be doing, I theorized that I wasn't "turning to the top" like Andrew had mentioned. To test my theory, I tried two different feelings and motion on camera and it's clear which one is the motion of "turning to the top" and which one is just moving my arms upward to the top.

EDIT: I'd like to add that in doing the "turning to the top" motion, I felt like I was as flat as Kuch is on a regular basis, super crazy weird feeling, haha.

Attachment IMG_7968.JPG

To me, this is a big step in gaining consistency because from this position at the top, I can literally just turn my left knee toward the target and let my hands fall into impact. It's interesting to say the least. The downside is that I have to do these motions really slow without using my alignment aid to ensure accurate repetition. No worries, I just have to work on some major reps with the mirror to get my muscle memory solidified.

Progress!
looks a lot better

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g
4 iron: Taylormade P790 w/ Project X 6.0
5 - PW: Taylormade P770 w/ Project X 6.0
Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind 50* & 54*, Hi-Toe 58* w/ Project X 6.0
Putter: Custom Raybon Squareback 34" w/ Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostAlbatross85, on 08 March 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Earlier wrist set will help arm overrun. One piece makes it harder to stop b/c your mind needs to feel your wrists set before your arms will actually stop. A big help for me to shorten up was to feel like i keep my right arm straight in the back swing.

That 4i dtl video is funny, i just played that course in October and that range had just been built. I hit balls into that same net.

The arm overrun pretty much took care of itself by shortening my back swing but we have been working on earlier right arm soft bend to help to get to a better position at the top of the back swing.The biggest feeling that helped me was to feel like I was doing a 9/3 swing, lol. Turns out I was actually getting a pretty full back swing at that point.

Yeah dude, I used to play that course as much as I could because I loved the practice area plus the course but the practice area just isn't the same, especially when it seems like every other time I go there the practice green and short game area is closed, lol. I don't blame them by any means for selling that area of land though for the amount of money they got, I just don't go there as often.
Posted Image

#17 thaar

thaar

Best 3-putter in town!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
  • Handicap:Ugh
  • Ebay ID:thaar
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

View Postrobrey85, on 07 March 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

Attachment IMG_7971.JPG

Attachment IMG_7968.JPG

Progress!

Can you explain using the alignment stick with your club? I know I've seen a drill with it before, but I can't recall its purpose.

And I'm jealous you have Andrew as a resource lol. I bet it's awesome playing with him.
Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

#18 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

Upload FO and DTL driver swings.

In the 4 iron video, I didnt look all that hard ... but you seemed to get narrow on the downswing or something ?  

Do you want to keep that late wrist c0ck ?

Posted Image

How can you do 3/4 or 1/2 shots when your wrists aren't cocked at all  ?

In the above photo, it will seem really weird to start your downswing from this position.

Here is the P6 thread - http://www.golfwrx.c...mages-and-more/

Edited by SunkTheBirdie, 08 March 2017 - 12:47 PM.

Many Hands make Light Work.  Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

#19 jml4

jml4

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334143
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

How has your mat & net setup held up in the backyard? Been looking into something, and I figure if yours can hold up to Vegas heat then I should be good here in LA...
M1 9.5* | Red Tie
913f 15* | Diamana Blue
Vapor Fly 20*
z765 4-PW | Modus 120
Engage 50* SS

Engage 54* TS
Cally PM Grind 58*
Golo 5

----
Old WITB Link

#20 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

View PostGhost of Snead, on 08 March 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

late

Posted Image

You mean late wrist c0ck like this guy in pic 4 ?

Posted Image

Yes that wrist c0ck is much later than the majority of good players.
I think most amateurs and learning golfers would benefit from earlier not later wrist cocking.

Are you an advocate of float loading ?
So I take it, you feel Greg Norman has an ideal swing ?

Not everyone love The Shark's swing.

Many Hands make Light Work.  Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

View Postthaar, on 08 March 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

Can you explain using the alignment stick with your club? I know I've seen a drill with it before, but I can't recall its purpose.

And I'm jealous you have Andrew as a resource lol. I bet it's awesome playing with him.

I'm gonna try to explain but I'm still in the process of comprehending everything so bare with me, lol. With regards to my most recent video in the OP, the first issue was my bowing wrist as well as an issue with wrist hinge (I think it was hinge, if it's not hinge then it was wrist c0ck I get them confuzzled) at the top of the back swing causing an extremely laid off club face. What the stick is going to help with is to stop the bowing of the wrist on the take away as well as ensure proper position at p2 (shaft parallel to the ground) followed by solidifying the feel of doing a one piece take away. It's also going to help with checkpoints to ensure your butt is pointing at or inside the ball line at p3 (arm parallel to the ground).

What I do when I'm working with this is get into my normal setup in my mirror room with a ball on the floor. Then I leave my hands in the setup position with the alignment stick touching my left side and turn to the right. My checkpoint here is at p2, the club head should cover my hands and then from here I can turn my way to the top with a quick check at p3 to ensure my stick is aiming inside or at the ball line. Then continue on turning and if I'm implementing proper right arm soft bend, instead of my wrist hinging inward causing that laid off club face, its now bowed a little bit and the club face is more square.

So that's where I'm at. I have an idea of what kind of transition we're going to implement but I am not focusing on that yet as this take away and back swing is going to be my primary focus for awhile it seems.

Progress!
Posted Image

#22 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 08 March 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

Posted Image Upload FO and DTL driver swings. In the 4 iron video, I didnt look all that hard ... but you seemed to get narrow on the downswing or something ? Do you want to keep that late wrist c0ck ? Posted Image How can you do 3/4 or 1/2 shots when your wrists aren't cocked at all ? In the above photo, it will seem really weird to start your downswing from this position. Here is the P6 thread - http://www.golfwrx.c...mages-and-more/

I am definitely changing the wrists from what they were so I don't plan to keep that. I'll post driver swing videos eventually, I just feel like that's always been the worst club in the bag so I'm not looking to jump right into that club until I have the fundamental motions down.

Considering I had so much arm overrun, who knows if I was even doing true 1/2 or 3/4 swings, TBH, I just went on feel and how far I thought the ball might fly based on prior experience.
Posted Image

#23 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hrmm, I'll post up a Face on swing to show the difference of what that video he is referencing versus what I am doing now today after lunch. I've been focused on DTL right now because that's how I'm keeping tabs on my check points. There are some check points I can use for FO, but my mirror room works better for DTL stuff.
Posted Image

#24 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

View Postrobrey85, on 08 March 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

I'll post driver swing videos eventually, I just feel like that's always been the worst club in the bag so I'm not looking to jump right into that club until I have the fundamental motions down.

Driver is the longest club and tends to highlights flaws better than the other clubs.

#25 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostGhost of Snead, on 08 March 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

You continue to post pretty pictures trying to mold folks into some sort of perfect swing, but it don't work that way.

Not really.

If you want to discuss why he should keep his float loading wrist hinge ... that's fine.
Why don't you tell him how to swing like Nicklaus then ?

There are advantages to deep hip turns and not float loading / late wrist cocking.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you read the "stop arm over run thread" one of the methods is to hinge your wrist earlier.

are most amateur's swings too long ?
http://www.golfwrx.c...wings-too-long/

Hey Robrey:  Upload proper footage: FO + DTL Driver swings.

#26 robrey85

robrey85

Gamblers Bonus

• 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

View Postjml4, on 08 March 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

How has your mat & net setup held up in the backyard? Been looking into something, and I figure if yours can hold up to Vegas heat then I should be good here in LA...

The net has held up well. On occasion, I'll somehow hit a ball around the impact netting and it'll go through the standard netting (it's happened twice, allegedly) It's pristine though, it handles the weather very well and just the other day it was 50-70mph gusts and was sturdy as a rock.

When I first got the mat, it was great. It still is great, the quality is really good and it's held up nicely. My original plan was to keep it covered when not in use but I got tired of that so I just let the weather do its thing and it's done well. The only downside is it now leaves residue on the club. When I kept it covered, it never did that. Not sure why. I assume it has to do with the sun and the fibers being cooked or something. Anyway, the feeling when it is sitting on concrete is a little harder than I'd like so what I did when I bought it, is just set it straight on the flattened dirt ground and it felt great. After the first big rain storm, it got all lopsided and it felt awful standing on the mat trying to hit a ball so I put down some pavers and that helped to keep it flat and level but because it felt so much harder I added some carpet padding. I had one piece up until early last week when my dad was able to get me another piece and so I added a second layer and it feels 100x better now. My elbow is really appreciating it.

IMG_7976.JPG

I would recommend this setup.
Posted Image

#27 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostGhost of Snead, on 08 March 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

Why would I do that ? I'm not qualified to give swing advice and neither are you.
Insert broken record .gif here.

#28 Albatross85

Albatross85

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostGhost of Snead, on 08 March 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 08 March 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostGhost of Snead, on 08 March 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

You continue to post pretty pictures trying to mold folks into some sort of perfect swing, but it don't work that way.

Not really.

If you want to discuss why he should keep his float loading wrist hinge ... that's fine.
Why don't you tell him how to swing like Nicklaus then ?

There are advantages to deep hip turns and not float loading / late wrist cocking.  

Why would I do that ? I'm not qualified to give swing advice and neither are you.
He doesn't understand when everyone mocks him. I can't tell if he doesn't care or doesn't understand that his constant wanna-be teacher antics aren't helping anybody. He is doing more harm than good. It's sad too b/c people that don't frequent this forum may think he actually knows what he's talking about.

Birdie: just read the threads, learn where you can, and throw in a tip every once in a while where it may be applicable to someone's swing. Your constant re-hashing of the same stuff and telling everyone to post a swing is ridiculous. Leave it to the experts.
Bridgestone Tour B XS
WITB Link

#29 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostAlbatross85, on 08 March 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

He doesn't understand when everyone mocks him. I can't tell if he doesn't care or doesn't understand that his constant wanna-be teacher antics aren't helping anybody.
Everyone. LOL.
I've had lots of positive feedback from almost every OP.

He is doing more harm than good.
Incorrect. Unproven.
My advice rarely deviates from what other swing tip givers suggest.

and telling everyone to post a swing is ridiculous. Leave it to the experts.
Posting swings helps people get better.  That is why I suggest it.  Why is it ridiculous for me to want gWRX members to play better golf ?  

As I've said many times .... feel free to correct anything that I say  ... I'm not trying to be perfect.   I would love any specific example where *ANY* advice I've given has been detrimental to a swing poster.

View PostGhost of Snead, on 08 March 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

He's one of the reasons most of the established instructors have stopped helping with swing tips. I'm sure of them got tired of having their posts contradicted by amateur hacks or regurgitated when agreed upon.  
Examples ?

Edited by SunkTheBirdie, 08 March 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#30 Albatross85

Albatross85

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

This will be my only reply out of respect to the OP's thread. Put up one of your famous Polls to see if anyone here thinks you have a clue. You are clueless and its obvious. Just b/c i read 5 lessons doesnt make me qualified to teach Hogan's swing. And just b/c you watch Monte's videos doesnt mean you have a clue as to what is really going on. If you dont have your butt on a lesson tee getting paid to give advice then you need to take a step back. That is simply my opinion but i know for a fact that opinion is shared by MANY others.

Bridgestone Tour B XS
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors