Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2 Degrees Strong?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bzimmer21

bzimmer21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49244
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

I recently got fitted for new irons at a custom club fitting place.  I am looking at getting the new Ap2's or ZB's.  At any rate I was told that my specs are as follows:

True Temper X-100 shaft
standard length
standard lie
2 degrees strong

My question is, what does 2 degrees strong indicate my swing to be and what does it actually do to the club?  I am just curious.  I should have asked my fitter, but I was in the middle of a fwe other things as well.  Also, I hear Titlest Custom fitting only will do 1 degrees strong.  Would I have to go back to the other place to get fitted?  They were a bit expensive.  

BZ

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kingdaddysports

kingdaddysports

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35711

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

I believe 2 degrees strong means your loft angle will be delofted from their standard offering by 2 degrees for every club.  For example, if their standard 3 iron is 21*, yours will be 19*.  If the PW is 47*, yours will be 45*.  It would be kind of weird for their fitting dept only to do 1* because Cleveland will bend their clubs made out of CMM, which are notorious for possibly breaking, 2* either way for loft or lie

#3 irishfight4it

irishfight4it

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30698
  • Ebay ID:friedfamtraders

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:00 AM

you obviously launch it way too high and spin it too much... Hence the DG X-100 and lower lofts...

#4 scs1070

scs1070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23195
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

Unless Titleist does something to the soles, the bounce will also be less.

#5 irishfight4it

irishfight4it

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30698
  • Ebay ID:friedfamtraders

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

and they will look more offset

#6 Divot_48

Divot_48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48433

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:16 AM

De-lofting is pretty "iffy". I don't think the face will look more offsett, it will be, has to be. Not only that in the longer irons you may well not have any bounce, most 3 irons are only around 2* bounce/sole angle. De-loft the face 2*=no bounce, good luck. Maybe you have good lateral movement and play the ball well forward, nice swing, high ball flight lots of spin.

#7 MrMitsou

MrMitsou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46756

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:52 AM

I just had taylormade make the lofts on my r7 TP irons (3-PW) two degrees stronger.  will that throw off the bounce on them in a way I'll notice?  (something I hadn't even thought of/knew about before I saw posts on the subject).

#8 Divot_48

Divot_48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

Have a look at the specs of your clubs. If you had the loft reduced by 2* you have also reduced the sole angle/bounce by the same amount. May not be a big problem in the higher lofted clubs, but in the lower ones, well. Bit surprising though that you got them done by the manufacturer and they didn't mention this!

#9 Divot_48

Divot_48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

Another point I ment to make on the original post is, why bother. Just use one club more (which if and I may be wrong) most pro's suggestions to do anyway, or just choke down on the longer club.

#10 MrMitsou

MrMitsou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46756

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:19 AM

Divot, yeah, Taylormade didn't mention that to me.  I called & asked them about how to get some more distance out of the R7 TP irons, and the rep said to have the lofts made stronger and maybe get different shafts (TM makes loft & lie adjustments for free).  I hope my 3 & 4 irons are not gonna be acting weird.  Thanks for the advice.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 scs1070

scs1070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23195
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

I think there are 2 ways of looking at it, 1. take a 1 more club and just deal with it.  2.  Mianupulate the clubs to play how you want them too.  Personally, if I have gotten used to hitting an 8-iron 155 for the last 15 years and not I changed clubs and they are 1/2 a club shorter.....I say bend the clubs 2* so they will play how you are used to.

It doesn't make sense to me to change your whole game or thinking becuase that is how the clubs are built.  Changing the clubs is just easier.

#12 Ramsey16

Ramsey16

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48448
  • Ebay ID:al_steveram

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:10 PM

3 Irons really aren't made to bounce anyways.  As long as you don't come down really steep and hit behind the ball you'll be fine.  Should have a shollower attack angle anyways on a long iron.

#13 Hifade

Hifade

My SMOKEHOUSE Killer B

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

If you went thru a proper fitting...they saw that you were adding loft at impact. By ordering them 2* strong, you are, effectively, delivering the club at impact the way they were designed. If this is true, you won't notice a thing other than better shots. Furthermore, if this is true, right now, due to your impact position, you are adding loft AND bounce. Their recommendation will help.
PING G30 9* - UST Elements Chrome 6F4T
CALLAWAY X2Hot - Excalibur Tour FW
ADAMS 20* Original Pnut - Excalibur Tour
CALLAWAY 3-W APEX - KBS Tour-V
CAMERON Newport Tour Midslant
CALLAWAY Slate MD2 54* / 58* - PX 5.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors